• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 6/16 - 6/22

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dragona Akehi said:
It's already dead. Start the grieving process already.

Well, Europe and the US are the main markets for HD consoles it seems. Europe maybe even more so due to weak US consumer confidence.

Kasumi1970 said:
this is not good news for the PS3. what is wrong with japan don't they like HD gaming.
There's nothing wrong with Japan and it has nothing to do with games being in HD or not. Put simply, the Wii and DS have captured the popular imagination over there (the DS moreso than the Wii) and while the other systems exist, they are irrelevant. Japanese gaming tastes didn't defeat the PS3, Wii Sports did.

Japan has always been like this though, don't forget. As soon as something becomes popular, word of mouth propels it to absolute dominance at the expense of all other products. See every previous console war and also the iPod.

Kagari said:
Well, Europe and the US are the main markets for HD consoles it seems.

Yeah the Wii is only just outselling the two combined once over, not several times like in Japan.

Seriously, this generation is decided. It might suck balls, but it's over.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Kagari said:
Well, Europe and the US are the main markets for HD consoles it seems. Europe maybe even more so due to weak US consumer confidence.
...what does that have to do with the PS3 in Japan? Just seems like an out of place reply following the conversation.

Aeon712

The Take Out Bandit said:
Hahaha - suck it Metal Gear!

I can't wait for some hare brained DS game to put the nail in it's drama coffin.

Konami, stop letting Loljima waste your god damn moneys!
500k in 2 weeks is a waste now? It'll easily be over 1 million world wide its 1st month.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dragona Akehi said:
Then what are you doing here?

Commenting on how in Japan, nothing else is relevant except the handhelds and Wii right now, while the other two consoles are doing fine, albeit not as well as the Wii, in the other two major markets...

lyre

Kagari said:
Commenting on how in Japan, nothing else is relevant except the handhelds and Wii right now, while the other two consoles are doing fine, albeit not as well as the Wii, in the other two major markets...
In other words,
where_is_your_god_now948.jpg

;)

Kagari said:
... in order to allay a feeling of discomfort that you feel at the prospect of your favourite system failing to achieve its original objective in Japan.

Reassuring yourself/others over and over that the system is doing well in the US and Europe, so to downplay the effect of its lack of marketshare in Japan is symptomatic that you think, deep down, that everything is not right. You need to chillax, take a breath and think "It's just video games. It'd be serious business if I worked in the industry, but as a consumer, it's all just about fun."

Accept it and play the games you like. Don't be angry over the direction of the industry because the games you like aren't going to stop being made. Think about it. Thousands of people with your taste in gaming bought MGS4. These people and their demand for these sorts of games aren't suddenly going to disappear if the Wii is more popular and that means that the market need is going to be filled by someone.

Tmac said:
Huh? LTD 700k is a sure bet.

It is? If MGS4 follows the same percentage drops each week from now on as MGS3 did, it'll only hit 625k -- and MGS4 had a significantly bigger first week drop, compared to MGS3. 700k seems very unlikely to me.

XiaNaphryz said:
I guess we shouldn't be surprised. So does this mean we should expect this for every major 360 and PS3 release in Japan?

It's happened for pretty much every major N64, GameCube, Xbox, and Xbox 360 title to date, so... yeah, I think so.

Kagari said:
while the other two consoles are doing fine, albeit not as well as the Wii, in the other two major markets...

"Fine" is a somewhat generous assessment. "Kinda okay" maybe? "Not totally crappy" if we're feeling really nice?

The die is always cast more sharply in Japan, but the essential anemia of PS360 sales is present pretty much everywhere; they're the also-rans, the GameCubes and Xboxes of the generation.

jrricky

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
... in order to allay a feeling of discomfort that you feel at the prospect of your favourite system failing to achieve its original objective in Japan.

Reassuring yourself/others over and over that the system is doing well in the US and Europe, so to downplay the effect of its lack of marketshare in Japan is symptomatic that you think, deep down, that everything is not right. You need to chillax, take a breath and think "It's just video games. It'd be serious business if I worked in the industry, but as a consumer, it's all just about fun."

Accept it and play the games you like. Don't be angry over the direction of the industry because the games you like aren't going to stop being made. Think about it. Thousands of people with your taste in gaming bought MGS4. These people and their demand for these sorts of games aren't suddenly going to disappear if the Wii is more popular and that means that the market need is going to be filled by someone.
your avatar, I want to kill it, its freaking me out...:(

anyways, things are gonna go back to normal this week then, the universe is safe again.

sphinx

the piano man
charlequin said:
"Fine" is a somewhat generous assessment. "Kinda okay" maybe? "Not totally crappy" if we're feeling really nice?

fine? kinda okay? not totally crappy? it's exactly the contrary!! 360 sales are absolutely abysmal and PS3 are poor.

DS, PSP and Wii are the only systems doing " fine, O.K., not totally crappy "

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
sphinx said:
I laughed. :lol :lol

so merciless and straight to the point.

It is the truth. It is a minor blip in the road in the greater scheme of things in Japan. They want and like shit on the portables. I bet you people at Square gave a fuck about this and went whoa.

sprocket said:
Still blows away any 3rd party wii game sales. Oh yeah .. i said it! :lol
Not that I'm defending the thus far thoroughly anemic Wii 3rd party sales but:

Mind naming which Wii games (3rd party or otherwise) that had a budget rumoured to be around 70$ million, dedicating what essentially is the entire company's manpower towards it?

Nocebo

viciouskillersquirrel said:
You need to chillax, take a breath and think "It's just video games. It'd be serious business if I worked in the industry, but as a consumer, it's all just about fun."
In some cases there is valid reason for worry. You don't want your console of choice to end up like the Dreamcast or GameCube where they get poor software support and or die.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Dragona Akehi said:

Mind naming which Wii games (3rd party or otherwise) that had a budget rumoured to be around 70$ million, dedicating what essentially is the entire company's manpower towards it?

70 million? That number boggles the mind.

Terrell

Dragona Akehi said:

The funny thing is that Square Enix made a game that they barely even touched from a manpower perspective and it sold 500K on Wii by brand strength alone. Imagine an "OMGWTFBBQ" fantastic game on Wii.

GANGBUSTERS.

Nocebo said:
In some cases there is valid reason for worry. You don't want your console of choice to end up like the Dreamcast or GameCube where they get poor software support and or die.
If someone is concerned about something like that, they shouldn't be an early adopter. PERIOD.

sphinx said:
fine? kinda okay? not totally crappy? it's exactly the contrary!! 360 sales are absolutely abysmal and PS3 are poor.

I said I was being really nice! :lol

Calling either system "abysmal" outside of Japan is really a little hyperbolic, and kind of unnecessary, I think. But the facts really do speak for themselves: the HD consoles are also-rans and aren't going to keep pace with the Wii even when you add them together. Certainly they're not putting up a performance anywhere that I'd say redeems their bleakest failure point in Japan.

Agent Icebeezy said:
70 million? That number boggles the mind.

Given the usual salaries of Japanese game development staff and the timeframe of development, it's really hard for me to believe, actually.

sphinx

the piano man
charlequin said:
I said I was being really nice! :lol

Calling either system "abysmal" outside of Japan is really a little hyperbolic, and kind of unnecessary, I think. But the facts really do speak for themselves: the HD consoles are also-rans and aren't going to keep pace with the Wii even when you add them together. Certainly they're not putting up a performance anywhere that I'd say redeems their bleakest failure point in Japan.

he did mention he meant in japan only, and there is no perception whatsoever by which the PS3 pr 360 are doing "fine" there.

they aren't even doing "o.k" or "decent".

they are doing " poor " and "abysmal" respectively, like I said.

as for the rest of the world, things are seomtimes interesting but certainly decided on Wii's favor.

Dragona Akehi said:

You mean that third party Wii games don't have a budget of 70 million and 200 people working for four years on them with 100% dedication and help from the first party console maker?

Vinci

Danish
So if your production level is equivalent to GTA4, you can, in fact, have sales success on the PS3. Awesome. That basically amounts to ... how many companies capable of such a feat?

Neo C.

charlequin said:
Given the usual salaries of Japanese game development staff and the timeframe of development, it's really hard for me to believe, actually.
Probably all costs included - especially advertisement could cost tons of money.
The 100 million $ for GTAIV aren't only development costs for sure, too.

hirokazu

sticksave said:
Ok I kind of hate being a dick here but it's not like it's going to start trending up from here on out.
Hey, some games stick around in the Top 10 or Top 20 after a huge drop from their opening week. I'm just saying, I think MGS4 will be leaving rather quickly despite decent Week 2 sales. I dare say, it will drop like a brick.

31 Flavas

Banned
Just imagine this someone breaks the ranks and puts full development power behind a Wii game. And said game sales wise blows the crap out of their other HD games. Which will lead others to break ranks and dedicate full development power to Wii games over HD. Imagine that, SD games obsoleting the production of HD games :lol

Wonder if that might start with GH:World Tour? I mean, so far it doesn't sound like the Wii version will be gimped like Rock Band Wii/PS2 are.

Hm....

Pachael

Vinci said:
So if your production level is equivalent to GTA4, you can, in fact, have sales success on the PS3. Awesome. That basically amounts to ... how many companies capable of such a feat?

I don't know, but I don't think if Shenmue (100 million) had been worked from scratch for the PS3, that it'd have a sales success. You know, Sega lol and all that.

Vinci said:
Many I would think, so long as they are willing to slow their release schedule to a crawl over several years to concentrate on a single game like Konami did.

Vinci

Danish
Bending_Unit_22 said:
Many I would think, so long as they are willing to slow their release of new games to a crawl over several years to concentrate on a single game like Konami did.

So not many. Got it. ;)

sprocket

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

You are not going to have that with any wii game because it wouldn't take that much ... even if they made MGS4 for the Wii.

Pistolero

The first week of sales numbers for big game is always super boring, it's the second week when real information is revealed through sales

Doesn't make any sense. If a game does a million the first week, who cares if it dropes afterwards ? Way to go to try to understate the performance of MGS4. It sold really well.

Vinci

Danish
sprocket said:
You are not going to have that with any wii game because it wouldn't take that much ... even if they made MGS4 for the Wii.

Comparable development relative to the platform, I think, is what Dragona is going for.

Jammy

Banned
sprocket said:

If they made MGS4 for Wii it would have sold even better. :lol

Id like to beleive a company wouldnt be dumb enough to devote such extraneous resources to a mid tier breadwinner like metal gear. 70 million must be bogus. Youd have to be insane to expect a good return on that.

Vinci

Danish
EmCeeGramr said:
Id like to beleive a company wouldnt be dumb enough to devote such extraneous resources to a mid tier breadwinner like metal gear. 70 million must be bogus. Youd have to be insane to expect a good return on that.

I'd like confirmation on the figure as well, but I'm sure it cost a metric fuckton.

31 Flavas

Banned
Jammy said:
If they made MGS4 for Wii it would have sold even better. :lol
Exactly, it would have cost a fraction of the price to develop and sold far better then the HD version. SD gaming obsoleting HD games. I'm telling ya, its gonna happen and tech companies and developers heavily invested in HD are going to HATE IT. But they're going to do it anyway!

Oh SNAP!

Tmac

Meier said:
That's a pretty precipitous drop no matter how you slice it.

Some games are more front ended than others. Games like MGS4 suffer from the "fanboy effect", where most people want it so bad, that most get it day one.

Vinci

Danish
Tmac said:
Some games are more front ended than others. Games like MGS4 suffer from the "fanboy effect", where most people want it so bad, that most get it day one.

And then promptly sell it back on day two. ;)

Vinci

Danish
ElFly said:
Ah, MGS4 would have done much better on Wii

There's really no way to know that. It's possible though given the install base and the rabid dedication of MGS's fandom.

Top Bottom