• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/9 - 6/15

sphinx

the piano man
donny2112 said:
The DS is approaching 4 years old, but it shouldn't be anywhere near the end of its lifespan. Are we just in a lull before more "big deal" (from a sales standpoint) games? Is the DS passed its prime (sales-wise) or just gearing up for another burst?

just saying: how did the GBA's future look in middle 2005 ?? bright??

Phife Dawg said:
I think that's not true, PS2 was launched March 2000 and the first price cut happened in the middle of 2001 (40k to 35k). Don't have any links though.

Playstation

- 12/3/1994 PlayStation [SCPH-1000] introduced. (RRP 39,800 Yen)

- 7/21/1995 PlayStation [SCPH-3000] introduced.((RRP 29,800 Yen )

- 3/28/1996 Fighting Box [SCPH-3500] introduced (RRP 24,800 Yen)

- 6/22/1996 [SCPH-5000] on sale.(Including 1 controller / RRP 19,800 Yen)

Playstation 2

- 3/4/2000 PlayStation 2 [SCPH-10000] introduced. (RRP 39,800 Yen)

- 6/29/2001PlayStation 2 [SCPH-30000] price changes to RRP 35,000 Yen.

-11/29/2001PlayStation 2 [SCPH-30000] price changes to RRP 29,800 Yen.

Playstation 3

-11/11/2006 PlayStation3 introduced (HDD 60GB: Open price / HDD 20GB: RRP 49,980 Yen, including tax)

-11/11/2007 PlayStation3 (HDD 40GB: RRP 39,980 Yen, including tax)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:
I think this graph does a fair job of showing the impact of MGS4.

JPNConsoles-27.png

:D

Can we get MK Wii added in as well?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
IAt this point in 2007, there were only 2 million-sellers, but 4 other eventual million sellers were already released. This portends an overall software downturn in 2008, to me, and it's almost entirely the DS's doing. At this point in 2007, the DS had 6 of the top 10 games, and all of them were > 500K YTD. This year, DS has 3 of the top 10 games, and only one of them is > 500K YTD.

Possible millionaires for the rest of the year:
DQV (DS)
Pokemon Pla'inum (DS)
Kirby Superstar Deluxe (DS)--will probably hit a million in 2009, but released in 2008.
Animal Crossing (Wii)--if it makes it out and the portable success translates back to the main game.
DQIX (DS)--if it is released in 2008, which it probably won't be.

Pokemon Ranger 2 has an outside outside chance.

The DS is approaching 4 years old, but it shouldn't be anywhere near the end of its lifespan. Are we just in a lull before more "big deal" (from a sales standpoint) games? Is the DS passed its prime (sales-wise) or just gearing up for another burst?

Software-wise, companies seem to be throwing as much or more and higher quality at the DS than ever. Whether or not the profile of those games is quite as high, I don't know, but there's no shortage of highly committed efforts coming down the pipeline and still being announced. You should know that simply looking at a <top x> list is no substitute for looking at overall or median software sales--how do those numbers stack up year over year? If sales are reduced, are they reduced because the market is becoming unresponsive, or because there just haven't been all that big titles in the first half of this year?

Just anecdotally most of the new installments of old series have been doing alright; Sim City DS 2 is on par with Sim City DS 1, Taiko 2 is tracking similarly to Taiko 1, the new Suspense game is on par with the previous one, Etrian Odyssey 2 beating the first one. No Tamagotchi-like collapses this year.

I think, though, that to some extent the DS is a victim of its own success. Titles from 2005, 2006, and 2007 are still selling briskly to the point that certain demographics in the market are already tapped. Who on earth would try to make a big profile kart racing game? Where the room for growth in the brain training zone? Can a new piece of Kanji software really light up the charts when the existing software continues to sell well? Same goes for life sims, for that matter. I'm sure it's not just newcomers experiencing this either...

Imagine you're Nintendo. What do you make for the DS? Almost all of your IP has made an appearance and a lot of it is sort of intrinsically limited to one outing per generation. Most of the IPs that can be doubledipped have been. You've already come up with a crapload of new IP...

Still, despite the fact that this thing is a juggernaut and will sustain itself for a long time, new products are needed. I think companies are adapting well. Square-Enix still has DQIX and the other two DQ remakes and in the mean time seems to have coped well by doing some smaller new IPs. Namco still has at least one more Tales of installment. Nintendo can still do another Zelda, another Mario, a 2d Metroid, Smash Bros, Pikmin... and if they stretch they could eek out another Mario Party and maybe a set of Pokemon Remakes... plus, they're still rolling out the new IP. Capcom has historically been more franchise-reliant than most and are continuing on their merry ways on the DS. Sega and Marvelous are both trying real hard to cultivate new IP. D3 seems to split the Simple Series into half brain/language training and half job simulators and they're not running out of ideas anytime soon.

I do think the DS has moved on from massive expansion to riding the wave. Picture the PS2 in late 2003-early 2004. Still tons of new stuff coming out, although most of the old IPs had their big guns fired off at least once. The reigns are mostly in the hands of the smaller and B-tier games and while the number of OMG-MEGATON games coming out is lower the overall pace of releases is blistering.

I'm not at all pessimistic on the DS. I feel better about it now than I did this time last year.

sphinx said:
just saying: how did the GBA's future look in middle 2005 ?? bright??

The DSs successor has been announced and released? Holy shit. Is that what this "PS3" thing at the top of the charts is?

sphinx

the piano man
Stumpokapow said:
The DSs successor has been announced and released? Holy shit. Is that what this "PS3" thing at the top of the charts is?

HK-47 said:
I'm sure Nintendo is gonna launch a new handheld this year. Totally comparable

O.K , O.K you got me there but it is not like nintendo is planning anything exciting with the DS still. they delivered with their training games, the nintendogs and now they are done. They might try some interesting stuff this and next year but my prediction is that in 2010, it will be the GBA all over again with shelves full of licensed crap ( not that current DS shelves are far from that)

I don't think DS will get a 2nd wave, nintendo will let the thing sell itself until people get really tired of it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
sphinx said:
O.K , O.K you got me there but it is not like nintendo is planning anything exciting with the DS still. they delivered with their training games, the nintendogs and now they are done. They might try some interesting stuff this and next year but my prediction is that in 2010, it will be the GBA all over again with shelves full of licensed crap ( not that current DS shelves are far from that)

I don't think DS will get a 2nd wave, nintendo will let the thing sell itself until people get really tired of it.

considering its the leading platform in Japan (something the GBA didnt have) and it has third party support GBA could only dream off I doubt that

You also realize shelves full of licensed crap also has happen to the PS2, and any console

sphinx

the piano man
HK-47 said:
considering its the leading platform in Japan (something the GBA didnt have) and it has third party support GBA could only dream off I doubt that

You also realize shelves full of licensed crap also has happen to the PS2, and any console

you are suggesting that the DS will remain relevant in the following years thanks to 3rd parties??? woah, good luck with that. DQ9 aside, I wouldn't trust third parties for anything in Japan, not in this time and era.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Wow I was wrong, big time. I forgot that MGS4 was releasing, and even had it pointed out to me, and still didn't change it. In fact, in a fit of stubbornness, I tried suggesting that it wouldn't make that big of a difference. I'll say it now: I was wrong, big time.

Outside of major releases, I stand by my method. I will need a better method to include major releases in the future.

Here's the damage:

mc-projections-81.jpg

Estimated for last week - Actual = Difference (% Accuracy)
Wii: 45.5k - 45.2k = +.3k (99.2%) <--- :)
PS3: 9.3k - 75.3k = -66k (12.3%) <--- :(
360: 1.85k - 2.2k = -0.3k (85.5%)
==============
Total units off: 66,688 :(
Non-PS3 units off: 600 :)

Next Week:
Wii: 48k
PS3: 38k
360: 2k

sphinx

the piano man
Case said:
u would say that right after seeing MGS4 sales?

MGS4 will turn out to be good business for konami, so much is true.

As for sony? they are screwed, MSG4 or not, localized, specific bumps mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. I suggest you read a couple of posts by pantherlotus in this very thread.

if PS3 consistenly sells as much or above the Wii in the next months, then I eat crow. Even then, it will take months, perhaps years to turn the PS3 into a realistic console war 1st place contender.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
sphinx said:
MGS4 will turn out to be good business for konami, so much is true.

As for sony? they are screwed, MSG4 or not, localized, specific bumps mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. I suggest you read a couple of posts by pantherlotus in this very thread.

if PS3 consistenly sells as much or above the Wii in the next months, then I eat crow. Even then, it will take months, perhaps years to turn the PS3 into a realistic console war 1st place contender.

Even if it did (it won't), it would require a constant slate of releases in combination with sustaining titles that simply aren't there.

The PS3 will never be a realistic 1st place contender and I would contend that the battle for first was over before February of 2007, much less the day that filthy bastard uttered the words that began with five hundred and ended with ninety-nine. We may not have known it that day, or a year and 4 months ago, but clearly this war was lost before March 2007.

Now, nothing is wrong with 2nd place. Ask GC owners that were treated to Wind Waker, Pikmin, F-Zero, and RE4. PS3 owners will be saying the same next gen in relation to MGS4, GT5, and FFXIII.

And I will be utterly SHOCKED if the PS3 doesn't return to sub 25k hardware weeks within the month, if not two weeks.

sphinx

the piano man
PantherLotus said:
The PS3 will never be a realistic 1st place contender and I would contend that the battle for first was over before February of 2007, much less the day that filthy bastard uttered the words that began with five hundred and ended with ninety-nine. We may not have known it that day, or a year and 4 months ago, but clearly this war was lost before March 2007.

I disagree with the bolded.

yes, "$599" was part of the problem but the PS3's fate was sealed when they lost the 3rd parties, because you guys please face the facts and accept that in regards to quantity, the PS3 is a barren desert compared to PS2. The games just aren't there, I don't mean just the good games, the good exclusives will be there and some are already available but you can't be serious if you release 1 or 2 multiplatform and crappy games per months in Japan, the whole PS3 business model is absolutely fucked up. where are the jrpgs? where are the fun,casual, familiar games? where are the epic adventures? where are the sequels to big first party games of the PS2 era? WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY????? why isn't home ready? why don't we have at least a LBP demo? where are the exclusivity deals with capcom, with namco, with konami (post-MGS4)?

Sony went blind with PS2's success and thought developers wouldn't have other option than to turn to them if they wanted to be succesful.

it's the nintendo of the 90s all over again, sadly for sony, they are not nintendo to work things out without 3rd parties.

jesusraz

Is cvx or anyone else going to do a full translation of the Top 50 MC and the usual hardware chart layout with totals? Please? :)

milanbaros

Member?
Agree with people saying this is merely a bump, return to sub 20k in a few weeks etc but it should be noted that the PS3 couldn't have done much better this week nor MGS4.

I think it performed at the top end of everyone's expectations.

Jasoncheng said:
MediaCreate-Ranking
http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

Hardware
PS3 75,311
PSP 64,675
Wii 45,564
DS Lite 39,201
PS2 7,297
Xbox 360 2,163

TOP50
NDS:30
Wii:9
PSP:5
PS2:3
PS3:2
XBOX360:1

Better late then never.

Anyway, the first who is saying that the DS Lite is dead with the absurde amount of games that are coming, after 23 millions systems sold and still with the majority of games in the top 50, is insane.

PantherLotus said:
Liabe Brave, thank you for taking the time to write out a complete breakdown of my argument and for including your logical rebuttals. MC, take note. This was impressive.

Anyway, if I may quote forest?

I would say decent point, but statisticians refer to this as sample size and statistical noise. It's easy to throw those out because a game that sells 1k is obviously not making an impact on hardware sales. Now, we know that because we're gamers, not because the data shows as much. Games that have huge openings, pre-orders, bundles, and lines forming in order to buy them clearly DO have a measurable impact on hardware sales.

Now, if one wanted to refute the usefulness of PNB for the majority of all software, he or she would have a great point; it doesn't lend it self well to anything but the biggest selling titles. Still, I acknowledge your point and would say that PNB wasn't intended for that purpose.

This is an excellent point. Since the PS3 has been selling around 10k for several months, anything resembling a landmark title would surely make an impact. I would refute this point by pointing to the software sales itself, rather than just the hardware numbers. Looking at just the hardware, we see "700% increase!" Looking at the software, we see that 465k copies sold but only 65k more hardware units than normal sold.

That's the heart of the debate, isn't it? What exactly does that 65k represent and how does it relate to first week sales? I'm suggesting that PNB indicates the relative impact of the game -- and this is something that you didn't mention at all -- in relation to the PS3 LTD of 2 million.

The nature of my assertion rests on the fact that the PS3 sold 2 million units before MGS4 went on sale. 465k copies of MGS4 were sold, and weekly sales were 65k more than normal. If we take 65k software sales away and generously assume that every single one of those hardware units are a direct result of MGS4 going on sale, then we are left with 400k copies that sold to current owners of the PS3.

400,000/2,000,000 = 20% of every PS3 owner now owns this game, not including the new owners just mentioned. I suggest that when the % of game ownership is that high, but the PNB of a title is that low (13.9%), it means the market for that game (and 'those types' of games) is essentially saturated on that system.

1. I do assume that all major titles behave similarly, and the data is on my side. All major titles follow the front loaded model where 90% of all copies (and direct hardware impact) is measurable with the first two weeks of it being on sale.

2. Now, clearly we can't measure mindshare impact, customer satisfaction, nor critical mass buyers (those that finally decide after a certain number of hit titles have been released). I assert that those are the people buying on a weekly basis, rather than during huge software releases.

3. I said it earlier, but comparing MGS4 to Wii Sports is nefarious at best. If you would like to compare it to DQ, FF, or GT, be my guest. I would love to see if PNB is measurable and consistent every time. If I am proven wrong I will be the first to admit it.

4. Consistency is important, but comparing the title on the most successful console of all time (to date!) to one of the most disappointing follow-ups in the history of console gaming can't be good. If each title sells the exact same (do they?), then this further proves my point that essentially everybody that would ever buy the PS3 for that particular title already has.

5. Clearly PNB will drop over time, just as tie-ratio for each title drops over time. We must use each with caution and make only the most careful of conclusions with each.

I absolutely assume that first week sales are indicative of overall desire for a title, and the data shows that in general terms it is tried and true. Again, comparing MGS4 to WiiFit might not be the best comparison ever made. MKWii, while it does appear to be sprouting some legs, still follows the same model.

Also, I take issue with the assumption/assertion that I ever, EVER post charts for any other reason that thinking people will find them interesting in combination with my own interest. I ask that one would NEVER assume that I not post a particular chart because I'm attempting to hide data or have since been proven incorrect. That goes against everything true sales-agers believe and is hurtful at best.

If assumptions about my not posting a chart must be made, assume that I do not have the time, don't believe that it's needed that particular week, or don't believe that it's currently wanted.

This is interesting, but I would still make similar conclusions:
1. The majority of all people that were going to buy the Wii for SSBB already had (3.2% PNB). This is the "once the Nintendo fanboys all buy it up, it will stop" argument. In this case, PNB proved true.

2. That WiiFit is clearly driving hardware sales for the Wii. Difference between it and MGS4? The first is clearly the audience. The second would be the install base of each system when it was launched:

[ ] When WiiFit went on sale, the Wii had a 4 millionish install base, and the Wii was averaging around 30k for the previous 5 weeks before it went on sale. Also, it was immediately before the end-of-year hardware spike.

[ ] When MGS4 went on sale, the PS3 had a 2 millionish install bas, and the PS3 was averaging around 10k for the previous 13 weeks before it went on sale. And it went on sale in the middle of the summer.

1. I agree with selling is good, but you really aren't comparing MGS4 with Wii Sports, are you?

2. I hardly think that a big game selling a certain amount and the correlating hardware increase is remotely "coincidence." I'm not arguing for causation, I'm making conclusions based on data.

3. Not sure what Konami has to do with this other than being the publisher of a very successful title. I didn't say that MGS4's success is reason for Sony to worry, nor that Sony should suddenly start worrying if they hadn't already been before. I was simply saying that using these numbers, it's obvious to me that the majority of all people that were ever going to buy the PS3 for MGS4 have already done so.

Thanks again for your lengthy and considerate reply. Someone said it earlier, but this has indeed been a great thread to read. Charts soon.

Wow. Very interesting read.

The_lascar said:

The_lascar, l'homme des graphes.

I forgot:
tophard.png

Oh and it's in french and I don't have the time for translate. (blue : first week, red : others, blue+red : LTD)
graphique24.png

(Famitsu data for this)

I appreciate your kind words, PantherLotus, and thanks for bearing with the following gigantic wall of text (should you choose to read it).

PantherLotus said:
Now, if one wanted to refute the usefulness of PNB for the majority of all software, he or she would have a great point; it doesn't lend it self well to anything but the biggest selling titles. Still, I acknowledge your point and would say that PNB wasn't intended for that purpose.
I used 1k-selling software just so the effect was clear. The larger point was actually that PNB simply describes a relationship between hardware increases and software sales. It doesn't posit any mechanism(s) for the link, and without that it can't serve as any sort of explanation or result in a fruitful, trustworthy model. For example, how do you separate the effects in a multiple-release week? (Did Devil May Cry 4 drive all the spike, or was some of it due to Disgaea 3?, etc.) Or, how do you set the threshold for "biggest selling titles" in a non-arbitrary fashion? And so on.

Furthermore, restricting PNB to blockbusters causes new problems. The historical maximum hardware delta from week-to-week (apart from supply pulses) I believe is around 120k, from the first holiday seasons for Gamecube and DS Lite. This means that extremely successful software can't have a high PNB, even if it's pushing record amounts of new hardware. In such a record week MGS4 would still only have a PNB of 25%; DQVIII would only get to 5%! Only less popular titles could climb higher, and again this raises the question of where you break off, and why.

PantherLotus said:
I'm suggesting that PNB indicates the relative impact of the game -- and this is something that you didn't mention at all -- in relation to the PS3 LTD of 2 million.
But it doesn't have much to do with hardware LTD, once installed base is past a particular point (which would be different for each title). As more people buy into a platform, the chances of owners being interested in any particular title goes up. If you're right that virtually everyone who wants MGS4 already had a PS3, then it wouldn't have mattered much if Konami delayed it until the PS3 had a million more owners. Indeed, the PNB could even go up, if the baseline sales for PS3 went down. Again, my general point isn't that PNB is somehow artificial, just that because of this and other confusing factors, it can't carry the analytical freight you're trying to load it with.

PantherLotus said:
I suggest that when the % of game ownership is that high, but the PNB of a title is that low (13.9%), it means the market for that game (and 'those types' of games) is essentially saturated on that system.
I disagree, not in principle but quantitatively. Any strong version of this conclusion would require a world where consumers always immediately satisfied their desires, and their desires never changed over time.; weak versions become less and less interesting. I understand that models have to make generalizations in order to be of use; they free us from the "tyranny of the particular". I simply think that the number and extent of simplifications required to empower PNB as a reliable predictor are so large as to leave the model too divorced from reality. For example, I think it would be far harder than you imply to decide what "those types" of games would be. Even your point about high attach rates being worrisome, while generally correct, is subject to important exceptions.

PantherLotus said:
1. I do assume that all major titles behave similarly, and the data is on my side. All major titles follow the front loaded model where 90% of all copies (and direct hardware impact) is measurable with the first two weeks of it being on sale.
This is not true. Here's a random selection of titles, from all points of the sales continuum, both casual and hardcore, and from varied genres, platforms, and years.
Code:
                              Week 1+2
Game               Lifetime   % of LTD
Diamond/Pearl	  5445228    37.10%
NSMB	           5192102    22.73%
Brain Age	           3640092     2.13%
DQVIII	           3538860    79.02%
MKDS	           3085574    12.45%
Wii Sports	  2973940     8.49%
F. Red/L. Green	  2824674    43.97%
FF X	           2325215    85.29%
FF XII	           2305990    89.24%
MHP2G	           2239261    61.45%
SSBB	           1639846    66.00%
GT4	           1066749    77.25%
Samurai Warriors    1024253    78.57%
MGS2	            798179    68.27%
GT4 Prologue	   747692    39.80%
Ridge Racer V	   611507    49.84%
Taiko Drum Master    578993    15.45%
Yakuza 2	            572917    63.30%
DBZ Budokai	   543312    72.07%
Ace Combat 4	   357742    74.14%
ToLegendia	   342779    85.46%
ToSymphonia GC	   322779    72.48%
Soul Calibur II PS2  144948    70.67%
Silent Hill 2	   124793    73.38%
Baten Kaitos	   108615    59.31%
Battalion Wars	    55565    54.97%
Frontloading is very real, but it's neither as severe nor as consistent as you say. The data clearly indicates a more turbulent and opaque situation than you claim (and that you need if the PNB as currently construed is to be meaningful). I think the most telling example might be the extreme difference in legs between GT4 Prologue and GT4. Perhaps that can be explained away; perhaps all the ups and downs can be explained away. But the amount of post hoc argument needed seems vast, and with every auxiliary hypothesis your general model--and the PNB which depends on it--will become less compelling.

PantherLotus said:
I said it earlier, but comparing MGS4 to Wii Sports is nefarious at best. . . .Consistency is important, but comparing the title on the most successful console of all time (to date!) to one of the most disappointing follow-ups in the history of console gaming can't be good.
I don't think they're identical; nothing could be further from the truth. My point is that they're both successful, both beyond expectations--no matter what you claim, no one on NeoGAF thought MGS4 would do these numbers, and the people that came closest were called crazy. Wii Sports is, of course, an even more unexpected super-hit for the ages. My point was that its status doesn't somehow make MGS4's lesser success cause for alarm. PNB may tell us something, but you haven't shown how or why it could be a reliable indicator a game's overall impact, much less of overall platform health.

PantherLotus said:
5. Clearly PNB will drop over time, just as tie-ratio for each title drops over time. We must use each with caution and make only the most careful of conclusions with each.
Absolutely agreed. Your conclusions are not careful. You figured exactly one PNB, and ran from there.

PantherLotus said:
I take issue with the assumption/assertion that I ever, EVER post charts for any other reason that thinking people will find them interesting in combination with my own interest. I ask that one would NEVER assume that I not post a particular chart because I'm attempting to hide data or have since been proven incorrect. That goes against everything true sales-agers believe and is hurtful at best.
Please accept my apologies. I don't think you are hiding data (you posted an updated version of that chart in this very thread), nor do I think you're ashamed of it. But I think it's disingenuous to say you never made any claims with the chart and its title. You were simply mistaken about the sales curve MK Wii would follow, which doesn't say anything about your character. Predictions are difficult, which is why I try to avoid making very many. Sometimes--as with the weekly hardware predictions--yours are very accurate indeed. MK Wii's downward slope may yet change again, to echo the long tail of WiiFit and more closely follow the path you expected. That possibility is yet another reason to doubt the PNB's efficacy as a predictive tool.

PantherLotus said:
2. That WiiFit is clearly driving hardware sales for the Wii. Difference between it and MGS4? The first is clearly the audience. The second would be the install base of each system when it was launched: When WiiFit went on sale, the Wii had a 4 millionish install base, and the Wii was averaging around 30k for the previous 5 weeks before it went on sale. Also, it was immediately before the end-of-year hardware spike. When MGS4 went on sale, the PS3 had a 2 millionish install bas, and the PS3 was averaging around 10k for the previous 13 weeks before it went on sale. And it went on sale in the middle of the summer.
First, as I pointed out above, past a certain point installed base has little effect on PNB. Second, I'm well aware that the games are different. That's my entire point. Different games, different reasons, different effects--nearly the same PNB.

PantherLotus said:
I didn't say that MGS4's success is reason for Sony to worry, nor that Sony should suddenly start worrying if they hadn't already been before. I was simply saying that using these numbers, it's obvious to me that the majority of all people that were ever going to buy the PS3 for MGS4 have already done so.
Because of frontloading, that statement is true for the majority of all software ever. It's so trivial I doubt you would've needed to defend or explicate it as you did. No, you really did claim more than that, you really did claim that the low PNB for this game strongly implied (guaranteed?) low PNB for future games, and therefore inevitably low sales of PS3 hardware. That conclusion seems justified to me (at least for now), but I really can't find the linkage in the middle. Step two is still all question marks.

Stumpokapow said:
Capcom has historically been more franchise-reliant than most and are continuing on their merry ways on the DS.
What? Capcom more franchise-reliant than Square-Enix or Namco? In fact, Capcom is one of the least franchise-reliant publishers worldwide.

RJT

Liabe Brave & Panther Lotus said:
awesome discussion
I no longer feel bad for browsing GAF during work hours. Shit, I should just put this as training time...

Media Create threads are the pinnacle of Sales Age. Thanks guys!

jesusraz said:
Is cvx or anyone else going to do a full translation of the Top 50 MC and the usual hardware chart layout with totals? Please? :)
Quick and dirty:

31. Animal Crossing, DS (on the rise too, what's with all the DS titles rising?)
32. Kanji Test thingamajic, DS (should be Kanji Brain Test)
33. Metal Gear Solid 3 Suneeku Iitaa, PS2 (The Best - guess having a complex story in a franchise also helps sales in a sense :D )
34. Riddle Training, DS
35. 99 Tears, DS
36. Mario Party, DS (rising as well)
37. Sim City 2, DS (rising)
38. Ninja Gaiden 2, 360 (dropping like a meteor)
39. Metal Gear Solid Pottaburu Opusu+, PSP (rising as well, though this one is obvious)
40. Front Mission 2089, DS (out next week)
41. Tea Dog's House, DS :)lol wtf, never noticed that one)
42. Mana Kemia 2, PS2
43. Sekai wa atashi de mawatteru, DS (didn't find it in last weeks thread, so as to prevent confusion I won't translate it)
44. Pokemon Pearl, DS (after the re-entry of Diamond, Pearl was inevitable I guess)
45. Bleach 5, PSP
46. Orochi, PS2
47. Phoenix Wright Gyakuten, DS (new best price)
48. English Training, DS
49. Harvest Moon Shining Sun, DS
50. Luminous Arc 2, DS

edit:
damn Internal Server Errors, that chart wasn't there when I finsihed the list :lol

Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...

PS3 comparisons: After 83 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 18.1 weeks (July 2, 2000), where PSP was at 50.2 weeks (November 21, 2005), where GCN was at 76.6 weeks (February 27, 2003), and where Wii was at 20.0 weeks (April 14, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 80 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 82.8 weeks (October 18, 2002), where DS was at 66.8 weeks (March 10, 2006), where PS2 was at 95.3 weeks (December 25, 2001), and where PSP was at 145.9 weeks (September 22, 2007).

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 37.7 bring total shares to 70.2 / 29.8. At this week's rates PSP catches up to DS in 513.5 weeks (April 19, 2018). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate it would catch up in 202.3 weeks (May 1, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 62.3 / 37.7 (a new PS3 record, not counting 100% pre-Wii weeks) bring gotal shares to 25.7 / 74.3. At this week's rates PS3 catches up to Wii in 136.9 weeks (January 30, 2011). If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 54.1 weeks (June 29, 2009).

With PS3's boosted week, Wii's LTD lead over PS3 is set back to nearly what it was two weeks ago.

Olaeh said:
Even with the success of the Wii game, MKDS still sells at a steady pace. I wonder what the LTD is for AC:WW and MKDS?
I'm a few weeks behind on putting the latest Famitsu software numbers in my database, but ~4.7M and ~3.1M respectively.

liuelson

Stumpokapow said:
What you have to keep in mind is that it makes more sense to get your decay constant using a regression on ALL known data for each of those two games than just looking at the decay from week one to week two because the game doesn't actually follow an exponential pattern; there is variance within week to week while it slowly trends downwards.

Of course, but I'm just playing with simple models to try and ask the question, what if we only had the first 2 weeks of sales - could we say anything about expected LTD?

Using the "Week 1 = ~50% LTD" idea:
MGS2 week 1 / LTD / %: 457k / 789k / 57.9%
MGS3 week 1 / LTD / %: 487k / 820k / 59.4%

A small difference in the ratios. What about week 1 and week 2 combined?
MGS2 week 1 + 2 / LTD / %: 545k / 789k / 69.0%
MGS3 week 1 + 2 / LTD / %: 610k / 820k / 74.4%

The difference in the ratios actually increases. This reminds me of the "variation within a group > differences between groups" idea, where the factors that influence week-to-week sales overwhelm any general relationship we could try to establish between week 1 and LTD.

Edit: I guess my point is, no matter what the MGS4 week 2 sales turn out to be, we still won't be able to say much about the eventual LTD.

Edit: Updated 2008 PSPvDS chart

PSPvDS.gif

Stumpokapow said:
Software-wise, companies seem to be throwing as much or more and higher quality at the DS than ever.

I agree. There are a lot more companies that have made what I consider to be "serious" efforts on DS now than there were a year and a half ago, as well. Square-Enix, rather than backing off on new IPs (as I think most of us expected), have announced two more for DS in the coming year; Sega's banking some serious titles like World Destruction; Marvelous has done some excellent franchise building with Rune Factory; Namco's got another Tales coming; and so on. If there were third parties that I think have room to do better on DS, it'd probably be Konami and Capcom, both of whom have focused more on the PSP but who have franchises I think would benefit from the DS treatment just lying around (and who I would certainly love to see new IP from.)

(I was going to respond to your question about what else Nintendo could put out on DS, but then later in your post you listed exactly what I would've, so.)

I agree that we're in something comparable to 2004 for PS2 -- it's easy to get the feeling that everything is "winding down," and many of the titles that will forever define the system are out, but announcements are still coming at a good clip, and I expect both the system's best AAA titles and some of the more unexpected curveballs to turn up in the next two years.

sphinx said:
you are suggesting that the DS will remain relevant in the following years thanks to 3rd parties??? woah, good luck with that. DQ9 aside, I wouldn't trust third parties for anything in Japan, not in this time and era.

Take a look at what third-party announcements have looked like for DS over the last year, year and a half, and how those games have performed. And there are more semi-major titles already announced than just DQ9 coming.

Steiner_Zi said:
What? Capcom more franchise-reliant than Square-Enix or Namco? In fact, Capcom is one of the least franchise-reliant publishers worldwide.

Capcom tends, especially over the last two generations, to operate on a hyperspeed New IP->Milk strategy. Look at the number of new IPs introduced by Capcom on PS2/GCN/GBA which were followed with two to four sequels on the same platform. (Off the top of my head: DMC, Onimusha, MMBN, Viewtiful Joe, Gyakuten Saiban.) Capcom's treated the DS as an extension of this strategy and literally released only one title that wasn't a continuation of a GBA franchise or a spinoff/port from a major console IP.

Jokeropia

Phife Dawg said:
I think that's not true, PS2 was launched March 2000 and the first price cut happened in the middle of 2001 (40k to 35k). Don't have any links though.
Wasn't it near the end of 2001? Might not be "nearly 2 years" either way, but it's a stretch to say that PS3 has been out for "nearly 2 years" as well.
Parmenides said:
- 3/4/2000 PlayStation 2 [SCPH-10000] introduced. (RRP 39,800 Yen)

- 6/29/2001PlayStation 2 [SCPH-30000] price changes to RRP 35,000 Yen.
Ok, so that's 16 months, whereas PS3 has been out for about 19.
iidesuyo said:
Seeing those charts, Wii performs worse than last year. It's nowhere near the NDS hype.
And yet it's still way ahead of PS2.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Steiner_Zi said:

Capcom's DS outings:
- 4x Gyakutan Saiban + 4x best price + at least a few double best price.
- 5x Mega Man Star Force
- 2x Mega Man ZX
- 2x Wanatame (arcade port)
- 1x Mega Man Battle Network
- 1x Resident Evil

- 1x Stock Trader

WOOHOO!

Square Enix, by contrast, has Yosumin, DS Style series, It's a Wonderful World, Sigma Harmonics, The Game With No Name, and Final Fantasy Fables (basically a new IP).

Namco has leveraged traditional IP in new ways; Pac-Pix as an early effort, Nodame Cantabile (licenced though it is), Game Center CX, a few language training games, Tamagotchi Corner shop, etc.

jakncoke

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Based on the latest Famitsu numbers...

PS3 comparisons: After 83 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 18.1 weeks (July 2, 2000), where PSP was at 50.2 weeks (November 21, 2005), where GCN was at 76.6 weeks (February 27, 2003), and where Wii was at 20.0 weeks (April 14, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 80 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 82.8 weeks (October 18, 2002), where DS was at 66.8 weeks (March 10, 2006), where PS2 was at 95.3 weeks (December 25, 2001), and where PSP was at 145.9 weeks (September 22, 2007).

Based on the latest Media Create numbers...

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 37.7 bring total shares to 70.2 / 29.8. At this week's rates PSP catches up to DS in 513.5 weeks (April 19, 2018). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate it would catch up in 202.3 weeks (May 1, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 62.3 / 37.7 (a new PS3 record, not counting 100% pre-Wii weeks) bring gotal shares to 25.7 / 74.3. At this week's rates PS3 catches up to Wii in 136.9 weeks (January 30, 2011). If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 54.1 weeks (June 29, 2009).

With PS3's boosted week, Wii's LTD lead over PS3 is set back to nearly what it was two weeks ago.

What were GC's weekly sales for like 5 weeks after bold?

liuelson

OK, so I'm still trying to come up with a way to say something reasonable about a sales pattern given the first 2 weeks of sales.

Looking at MGS3, an exponential decay function based on the first 2 weeks severely underestimates the actual sales pattern, because the drop between 1st and 2nd weeks is much more than just an exponential decay.

MGS3_wk1-2.gif

What if we discarded week 1, and use week 2 and 3? An exponential decay function actually overestimates the actual sales pattern.

MGS3_wk2-3.gif

What happens if we peg week 1 sales and use the average of the decay rates?

MGS3_exp_avg.gif

The first 2 weeks of sales may not be enough to say much about LTD, but perhaps the first 3 weeks of sales may be?

Edit: I know that an exponential decay function is overly simplistic...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Steiner_Zi said:

They havent done anything new on the DS at all

liuelson said:
OK, so I'm still trying to come up with a way to say something reasonable about a sales pattern given the first 2 weeks of sales.
Your quest for perfection is hopeless. I totally understand that you may not have wanted to read my giant post above, but here's the data from it that's germane to your decay function attempts:
Code:
                              Week 1+2
Note that the amount of sales in the first two weeks does usually hover in the 55-75% range, which is why it's possible to generate rough approximations like you're doing (and as sales-agers do without graphs all the time). Note also that the actual figures range from 2% (!) to 89%(!), making a single function that will cover all titles completely impossible (and making sales-age predictions a gambler's game).

liuelson said:
. . .The first 2 weeks of sales may not be enough to say much about LTD, but perhaps the first 3 weeks of sales may be?
You can arbitrarily increase the accuracy by including progressively more weeks, but I doubt the returns on this approach. My gut feeling is that it would take five or six weeks to really get a good approximation, and for predictive modeling that's not so hot. Even I, dumb as I am, could probably make some really good guesses on LTD given the first month and a half. (Though stuff like Brain Age and Taiko Drum Master would still defeat me and the model.)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Liabe Brave said:
Your quest for perfection is hopeless. I totally understand that you may not have wanted to read my giant post above, but here's the data from it that's germane to your decay function attempts:
Code:
                              Week 1+2
Note that the amount of sales in the first two weeks does usually hover in the 55-75% range, which is why it's possible to generate rough approximations like you're doing (and as sales-agers do without graphs all the time). Note also that the actual figures range from 2% (!) to 89%(!), making a single function that will cover all titles completely impossible (and making sales-age predictions a gambler's game).

You can arbitrarily increase the accuracy by including progressively more weeks, but I doubt the returns on this approach. My gut feeling is that it would take five or six weeks to really get a good approximation, and for predictive modeling that's not so hot. Even I, dumb as I am, could probably make some really good guesses on LTD given the first month and a half. (Though stuff like Brain Age and Taiko Drum Master would still defeat me and the model.)
Shouldn't you use data from previous PS3 top-sellers?

XiaNaphryz said:
Shouldn't you use data from previous PS3 top-sellers?
liuelson is trying to create a predictor for software in general, not PS3 software. Still, I'd be willing to bet the point still stands: legs are variable. Since "popular PS3 software in Japan" is such a small class, it won't be as variable as for a wider survey, but over time it will complexify. I leave collation of the actual data as an exercise for the reader.

Top Bottom