• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/9 - 6/15

sphinx

the piano man
PantherLotus said:
If anything, that is what should have prevented me from even trying. But sometimes I look at something and say..."that CAN'T be right." But there it is, smacking me in the face and insisting that I point it out to others.

duckroll: if you played windwaker, you did your part.

sphinx: truly no hard feelings intended.

hey, don't get me wrong, in fact Gaborn misunderstood my position. I fully understand your analysis and data, it's other people that were trying to began some kind of bizarre debate where there was nothing that could possibly be refutted, hence the awkward responses. My guess is that in their eyes, you were just being a dick because you came with the data precisely in the onyl week in months when there is reason to rejoice as a PS3fan, not that your data had anything wrong in it.

I just wanted to point out that the reason why the discussion was not going anywhere is because there was little room for rebuttal once you gave the cold, hard facts.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hey panther, where is my Mario Kart "uber legs" chart? :lol :lol

noonche

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Or could game sales follow a Poisson distribution with a unit lambda? The only thing that I could see messing that up is that the sale events are not purely random.

If you have a good spread-sheet you could just try doing some regression analysis and see what kind of functions fits best. I don't have the data or the time to do it myself.

jts

...hate me...
I've tracked this battle weeks ago, decided to do an update.

Dunno why the LTDs don't match Media Create ones though *shrugs*

ezg42f.jpg

7neg.jpg

4r3rma.png

PantherLotus said:
PantherLotus
MGS4 first week sales compared with increased PS3 hardware sales for the week show that 12.9% of those sales were to new PS3 owners. (assuming a total of 70k ps3 sales per famitsu).

Conclusion: This is good for any individual game, but it shows that the adoption of new consoles based on major franchises has already happened. If the PS3 ever climbs out of the hole, it will not be on the backs of major titles such as these, because that audience predominantly already owns one.
You ran the numbers, but where’s the logic? Here’s just a few points that deflate the analytical value of your “% new buyers” (hereafter PNB) number as a predictor of platform health:

1. The less popular a game is, the more likely it is to have a high PNB. A game that sells 1000 units week one and benefits from a random fluctuation of hardware could have an apparent 100% PNB. It may or may not be the reason for the hardware jump. Over very many samples the random negative PNBs will cancel out the random positive ones, but now we might as well just be back to counting raw sales data. PNB alone doesn’t provide any surety.
2. The less popular a system is, the more likely a game is to have a high PNB. But maybe consumers don’t want the hardware for anything else, and in fact the platform is in serious trouble, not looking toward a bright future. (This is another way of stating that high attach rates can indicate sickness, not just health.)
3. You assume all major franchises will behave the same as MGS. There are good reasons to disbelieve this, and not just because demographic data on franchise purchase overlap is nonexistent. First, this particular series has been exceedingly consistent from title to title across two prior platforms, which is not true even for “reliable” franchises like FF and DQ; that heightens the probability that PNB will be low. Second, very few games (apart from pack-ins) ever maintain a solid tie ratio to contemporary hardware sales over their lifetime. I say “very few” but I really mean “none?”; even Wii Sports in Japan has changed over time, and the only better example I know, Wii Play, is a contentious one. Of course, as we add more and more PNBs we’ll get a better and better approximation. . .but the same is true of raw sales data, and you provide no reason for thinking PNB is a better or more accurate measure. It’s certainly less easy to use.
4. You assume first week sales are indicative of overall desire for a title. As all sales-agers know, legs are extremely variable. You yourself once posted charts seeming to show that MKWii would have legs like WiiFit, and stopped when it became apparent they would be more like Brawl’s. Even the rule of thumb “first week half of lifetime” is violated often, unless you dilute the meaning of “half” to “anywhere from 30% to 70%”. (I’m not arguing here about MGS4 in particular, but games in general.)

Finally, let’s do this same number-crunching with two other big games’ week one. As you did with MGS4, we assume hardware sales exceeding the week before are caused and accompanied by game sales.

Code:
          Week 1   HW       HW+     PNB
SSBB      816198   105570   26497    3.2%
WiiFit    254009   109791   38926   15.3%
By your logic, Brawl was utterly meaningless and WiiFit only marginally better than MGS4. Yet they’re both in the top 50 games of all time in Japan, and everyone agrees that both have been good for the platform, especially WiiFit.

Truth is, selling lots of units of a game is good for a platform, period. That’s as true for MGS4 as it is for Wii Sports. You’re right that no one game dictates the success of a platform (except as in my point 2 above), and that the PS3 is in serious trouble in Japan. But the link between a game that sells mostly to the base and a small base isn’t causation, or even correlation. It’s coincidence. It’s not Konami’s fault that their success is unprecedented on the platform. And that success is no reason for Sony to worry. The absence of other such successes is reason for Sony to worry.

sphinx

the piano man
Dragona Akehi said:
ToS is so going to bomb, and Scamco deserves it!

because the game sucks or because scamco didn't advertise the game?

and shouldn´t there be some sort of NGC Tales of Symphonia Fanbase in Japan?

It could sell above 50k first week and reach above 100k lifetime. Is that the kind fo bomb you are talking about or a Baten kaitos origins kind of bomb?

schuelma

sphinx said:
and shouldn´t there be some sort of NGC Tales of Symphonia Fanbase in Japan?

Yeah, which is why I don't see it bombing.

I mean hell, Shiren 3 managed 59K first week. I would assume ToS can do significantly better than that.

sphinx said:
because the game sucks or because scamco didn't advertise the game?

Both of those statements lead back to why Scamco is thus named, and therefore deserving of such a moniker and utter fail in terms of sales numbers!

schuelma

To put those PS3 numbers in perspective, that's about 2 months worth of the usual PS3 sales.

Helluva good showing. I must say i'm surprised at the percentage jump for one week. I thought the PS3 would max out around 45K tops for the week.

So I guess the big question is; sustainable?

donny2112

Famitsu Jun 2-8

1. PS3 Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit 82010 / NEW
2. WII Fushigi no Dungeon - Furai no Shiren 3: Karakuri Yashiki no Nemuri Hime 58507 / NEW
3. WII Wii Fit 35627 / 2164436
4. WII Mario Kart Wii 35419 / 1447381
5. PSP Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3 35302 / 144738
6. NDS DS Yamamura Misa Suspense: Kyoto Murder Files 31483 / NEW
7. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 G 29048 / 2239261
8. 360 Ninja Gaiden 2 27215 / NEW
9. WII Family Trainer 17360 / 54498
10. PSP Valhalla Knights 2 15021 / 49583
11. 360 Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit 13233 / NEW
12. WII Wii Sports 11927 / 2973940
13. NDS Taiko Drum Master 2 11574 / 189131
14. NDS Mario Kart DS 10735 / 3085574
15. NDS Beautiful Letter Training DS 10333 / 267389
16. NDS Mugen no Frontier: Super Robot Taisen OG Saga 8778 / 99026
17. WII Wii Play 8674 / 2375528
18. NDS Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage 8119 / 558991
19. NDS Kuukan * Zukei: Hirameki Training - KuTore (Shapes and Spatial Sense: Flash Training) 8080 / 27598
20. NDS Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness 8037 / 28513
21. NDS 99 no Namida (99 Tears) 7838 / NEW
22. NDS Bokura wa Kaseki Holder (We are Fossil Diggers) 7403 / 136995
23. PS2 Mana Khemia 2: Ochita Gakuen to Renkinjutsushi Tachi (Alchemists and the Fallen Academy) 6283 / 37332
24. WII Link's Crossbow Training with Wii Zapper 5929 / 183158
25. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 5375 / 5192102
26. NDS Tottadoo! Yoiko's Deserted Island Life 5259 / 107116
27. WII Battalion Wars 2 5057 / 57416
28. PS3 Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 4866 / 17678
29. NDS Fushigi? Kagaku: Nazotoki Quiz Training - NazoTore (Wonder? Science: Mystery Quiz Training) 4628 / 16532
30. PS2 D.C. II P.S.: Da Capo II Plus Situation 4365 / 49303

*. PS3 FIFA Street 3 1800 / NEW
*. PS2 Yamasa Digi World: Collaboration SP Pachi-Slot Ridge Racer 1400 / NEW
*. PS2 Oookuki 840 / NEW

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

May 5-11, 2008
May 12-18, 2008
May 19-25, 2008
May 26-Jun 1, 2008

Epiphyte

donny2112 said:
I think this graph does a fair job of showing the impact of MGS4.

[MG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/donny2112/Sales%20Numbers/JPNConsoles-27.png[/IMG]

:D
Damn, nearly matched launch week

tanod

when is my burrito
DeaconKnowledge said:
Helluva good showing. I must say i'm surprised at the percentage jump for one week. I thought the PS3 would max out around 45K tops for the week.

So I guess the big question is; sustainable?

No, unless the PS3 becomes the home of a bunch of Japanese style RPGs that are out tomorrow. So basically, a snowball's chance in hell.

Cheez-It

I don't like that MGSIV is being touted as the underlying reason behind the spike. A more reasonable assumption would be that MGSIV provided a small spike (very small), while the superior hardware it was bundled with generated the vast majority of the spike.

donny2112

Cheez-It said:
A more reasonable assumption would be that MGSIV provided a small spike (very small), while the superior hardware it was bundled with generated the vast majority of the spike.

Someone previously said that Japan wasn't getting a 80GB bundle, rather only a 40GB one for MGS4.

Dragon

Banned
Cheez-It said:
I don't like that MGSIV is being touted as the underlying reason behind the spike. A more reasonable assumption would be that MGSIV provided a small spike (very small), while the superior hardware it was bundled with generated the vast majority of the spike.

No offense. Are you fucking high? The PS3 has been selling sub 10k for months now in Japan.

iidesuyo

donny2112 said:
I think this graph does a fair job of showing the impact of MGS4.

JPNConsoles-27.png

:D

Outside the holidays, no bump could be any bumpier.

Seeing those charts, Wii performs worse than last year. It's nowhere near the NDS hype.

Miburou

Cheez-It said:

What "superior hardware"? For 10,000 Yen more, the so called "welcome pack" would get you a regular PS3 with MGS4 regular edition and a DS3, rather than the 13,000 this would normally cost. Not a bad discount, but hardly "superior hardware".

tanod said:
No, unless the PS3 becomes the home of a bunch of Japanese style RPGs that are out tomorrow. So basically, a snowball's chance in hell.
Hey, the PS3 has a lot of compelling software on the way! Why, in June alone there's...uh...Quake Wars?

But in July the floodgates really open with quality releases like K&L--DM and Dark Sector (seriously, the Japanese can't get enough western shooters!). Then you have Initial D Extreme Stage, Tears to Tiara, Siren, and Soulcalibur IV--if there's any genre that's guaranteed to set the Japanese mainstream on fire, it simply must be found among aging manga-licensed drift racing, strategy ero-games with the naughty parts cut out, gory horror, or fighting games! Plus there's a bunch of re-releases of games no one bought the first time around.

Yes indeed, don't look to the release schedule to explain why PS3 is trudging along in Japan! (And don't look to the PS3 to see why the release schedule is like that!)

Gaborn

schuelma said:
To put those PS3 numbers in perspective, that's about 2 months worth of the usual PS3 sales.

Alternately, they'd need to sell this much every week the rest of the year to LTD outsell the Wii after it's first full 53 weeks of sales (really the average is roughly 55k/week to do it)

Miburou

Anywho, the only game that has a chance of getting the PS3 out of the hole its in is FFXIII. Best case scenario is that the game comes out this December and sells 2M LTD, and helps PS3 end the year with a 3.5M ~ 4M userbase in Japan.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
donny2112 said:
Someone previously said that Japan wasn't getting a 80GB bundle, rather only a 40GB one for MGS4.
Wasn't there like 4 different MGS bundles in Japan? (all of them 40GB, but still). 3 for different colors each, and one special one (I forget what's inside it).

Anyway - if I remember right - this would be the first week ever that PS3 has crossed streams with NDS wouldn't it? Now if only I could remember where that gif was ;)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Liabe Brave, thank you for taking the time to write out a complete breakdown of my argument and for including your logical rebuttals. MC, take note. This was impressive.

Anyway, if I may quote forest?

Liabe Brave said:
You ran the numbers, but where’s the logic? Here’s just a few points that deflate the analytical value of your “% new buyers” (hereafter PNB) number as a predictor of platform health:

1. The less popular a game is, the more likely it is to have a high PNB. A game that sells 1000 units week one and benefits from a random fluctuation of hardware could have an apparent 100% PNB. It may or may not be the reason for the hardware jump. Over very many samples the random negative PNBs will cancel out the random positive ones, but now we might as well just be back to counting raw sales data. PNB alone doesn’t provide any surety.

I would say decent point, but statisticians refer to this as sample size and statistical noise. It's easy to throw those out because a game that sells 1k is obviously not making an impact on hardware sales. Now, we know that because we're gamers, not because the data shows as much. Games that have huge openings, pre-orders, bundles, and lines forming in order to buy them clearly DO have a measurable impact on hardware sales.

Now, if one wanted to refute the usefulness of PNB for the majority of all software, he or she would have a great point; it doesn't lend it self well to anything but the biggest selling titles. Still, I acknowledge your point and would say that PNB wasn't intended for that purpose.

Liabe Brave said:
2. The less popular a system is, the more likely a game is to have a high PNB. But maybe consumers don’t want the hardware for anything else, and in fact the platform is in serious trouble, not looking toward a bright future. (This is another way of stating that high attach rates can indicate sickness, not just health.)

This is an excellent point. Since the PS3 has been selling around 10k for several months, anything resembling a landmark title would surely make an impact. I would refute this point by pointing to the software sales itself, rather than just the hardware numbers. Looking at just the hardware, we see "700% increase!" Looking at the software, we see that 465k copies sold but only 65k more hardware units than normal sold.

That's the heart of the debate, isn't it? What exactly does that 65k represent and how does it relate to first week sales? I'm suggesting that PNB indicates the relative impact of the game -- and this is something that you didn't mention at all -- in relation to the PS3 LTD of 2 million.

The nature of my assertion rests on the fact that the PS3 sold 2 million units before MGS4 went on sale. 465k copies of MGS4 were sold, and weekly sales were 65k more than normal. If we take 65k software sales away and generously assume that every single one of those hardware units are a direct result of MGS4 going on sale, then we are left with 400k copies that sold to current owners of the PS3.

400,000/2,000,000 = 20% of every PS3 owner now owns this game, not including the new owners just mentioned. I suggest that when the % of game ownership is that high, but the PNB of a title is that low (13.9%), it means the market for that game (and 'those types' of games) is essentially saturated on that system.

Liabe Brave said:
3. You assume all major franchises will behave the same as MGS. There are good reasons to disbelieve this, and not just because demographic data on franchise purchase overlap is nonexistent. First, this particular series has been exceedingly consistent from title to title across two prior platforms, which is not true even for “reliable” franchises like FF and DQ; that heightens the probability that PNB will be low.

Second, very few games (apart from pack-ins) ever maintain a solid tie ratio to contemporary hardware sales over their lifetime. I say “very few” but I really mean “none?”; even Wii Sports in Japan has changed over time, and the only better example I know, Wii Play, is a contentious one. Of course, as we add more and more PNBs we’ll get a better and better approximation. . .but the same is true of raw sales data, and you provide no reason for thinking PNB is a better or more accurate measure. It’s certainly less easy to use.

1. I do assume that all major titles behave similarly, and the data is on my side. All major titles follow the front loaded model where 90% of all copies (and direct hardware impact) is measurable with the first two weeks of it being on sale.

2. Now, clearly we can't measure mindshare impact, customer satisfaction, nor critical mass buyers (those that finally decide after a certain number of hit titles have been released). I assert that those are the people buying on a weekly basis, rather than during huge software releases.

3. I said it earlier, but comparing MGS4 to Wii Sports is nefarious at best. If you would like to compare it to DQ, FF, or GT, be my guest. I would love to see if PNB is measurable and consistent every time. If I am proven wrong I will be the first to admit it.

4. Consistency is important, but comparing the title on the most successful console of all time (to date!) to one of the most disappointing follow-ups in the history of console gaming can't be good. If each title sells the exact same (do they?), then this further proves my point that essentially everybody that would ever buy the PS3 for that particular title already has.

5. Clearly PNB will drop over time, just as tie-ratio for each title drops over time. We must use each with caution and make only the most careful of conclusions with each.

Liabe Brave said:
4. You assume first week sales are indicative of overall desire for a title. As all sales-agers know, legs are extremely variable. You yourself once posted charts seeming to show that MKWii would have legs like WiiFit, and stopped when it became apparent they would be more like Brawl’s. Even the rule of thumb “first week half of lifetime” is violated often, unless you dilute the meaning of “half” to “anywhere from 30% to 70%”. (I’m not arguing here about MGS4 in particular, but games in general.)

I absolutely assume that first week sales are indicative of overall desire for a title, and the data shows that in general terms it is tried and true. Again, comparing MGS4 to WiiFit might not be the best comparison ever made. MKWii, while it does appear to be sprouting some legs, still follows the same model.

Also, I take issue with the assumption/assertion that I ever, EVER post charts for any other reason that thinking people will find them interesting in combination with my own interest. I ask that one would NEVER assume that I not post a particular chart because I'm attempting to hide data or have since been proven incorrect. That goes against everything true sales-agers believe and is hurtful at best.

If assumptions about my not posting a chart must be made, assume that I do not have the time, don't believe that it's needed that particular week, or don't believe that it's currently wanted.

Liabe Brave said:
Finally, let’s do this same number-crunching with two other big games’ week one. As you did with MGS4, we assume hardware sales exceeding the week before are caused and accompanied by game sales.

Code:
          Week 1   HW       HW+     PNB
SSBB      816198   105570   26497    3.2%
WiiFit    254009   109791   38926   15.3%
By your logic, Brawl was utterly meaningless and WiiFit only marginally better than MGS4. Yet they’re both in the top 50 games of all time in Japan, and everyone agrees that both have been good for the platform, especially WiiFit.

This is interesting, but I would still make similar conclusions:
1. The majority of all people that were going to buy the Wii for SSBB already had (3.2% PNB). This is the "once the Nintendo fanboys all buy it up, it will stop" argument. In this case, PNB proved true.

2. That WiiFit is clearly driving hardware sales for the Wii. Difference between it and MGS4? The first is clearly the audience. The second would be the install base of each system when it was launched:

[ ] When WiiFit went on sale, the Wii had a 4 millionish install base, and the Wii was averaging around 30k for the previous 5 weeks before it went on sale. Also, it was immediately before the end-of-year hardware spike.

[ ] When MGS4 went on sale, the PS3 had a 2 millionish install bas, and the PS3 was averaging around 10k for the previous 13 weeks before it went on sale. And it went on sale in the middle of the summer.

Liabe Brave said:
Truth is, selling lots of units of a game is good for a platform, period. That’s as true for MGS4 as it is for Wii Sports. You’re right that no one game dictates the success of a platform (except as in my point 2 above), and that the PS3 is in serious trouble in Japan. But the link between a game that sells mostly to the base and a small base isn’t causation, or even correlation. It’s coincidence. It’s not Konami’s fault that their success is unprecedented on the platform. And that success is no reason for Sony to worry. The absence of other such successes is reason for Sony to worry.

1. I agree with selling is good, but you really aren't comparing MGS4 with Wii Sports, are you?

2. I hardly think that a big game selling a certain amount and the correlating hardware increase is remotely "coincidence." I'm not arguing for causation, I'm making conclusions based on data.

3. Not sure what Konami has to do with this other than being the publisher of a very successful title. I didn't say that MGS4's success is reason for Sony to worry, nor that Sony should suddenly start worrying if they hadn't already been before. I was simply saying that using these numbers, it's obvious to me that the majority of all people that were ever going to buy the PS3 for MGS4 have already done so.

Thanks again for your lengthy and considerate reply. Someone said it earlier, but this has indeed been a great thread to read. Charts soon.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Miburou said:
Anywho, the only game that has a chance of getting the PS3 out of the hole its in is FFXIII. Best case scenario is that the game comes out this December and sells 2M LTD, and helps PS3 end the year with a 3.5M ~ 4M userbase in Japan.

First, not even Wii Sports has that kind of attach rate. It's just never happened.

Second, no Final Fantasy game has ever moved that kind of hardware. You have it moving anywhere from 750-1.25 assuming a baseline of around 20k after the MGS4 bump wears off. The total net bump for Final Fantasy X, for example, was less than 200k.

ccbfan

I'm disappointed in the PSP hardware sales.

I expected more than just 2K bump for a system seller like "Medical 91 Portable".

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-weekly-pie-81.jpg

mc-weekly-line-81.jpg

This is the Wii:pS3 ratio over the last 12 weeks:
0.61 <-- OMG
==========
Lifetime: 2.89

donny2112

Interesting YTD software note.

Before 2006, the most million-sellers Japan ever had in a year since 1996 was 6 (multiple years). In 2006, Japan had 9. In 2007, Japan had 10. YTD in 2008, Japan has 4 (with nothing else sniffing 1 million).

At this point in 2007, there were only 2 million-sellers, but 4 other eventual million sellers were already released. This portends an overall software downturn in 2008, to me, and it's almost entirely the DS's doing. At this point in 2007, the DS had 6 of the top 10 games, and all of them were > 500K YTD. This year, DS has 3 of the top 10 games, and only one of them is > 500K YTD.

Nintendo's taken their focus off of the DS and put it on the Wii, but the DS downturn isn't entirely Nintendo's doing. 2 of those 6 in 2007 were third-party games, whereas none of the 3 this year are.

The DS is approaching 4 years old, but it shouldn't be anywhere near the end of its lifespan. Are we just in a lull before more "big deal" (from a sales standpoint) games? Is the DS passed its prime (sales-wise) or just gearing up for another burst?

Top Bottom