• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6 Mar ~ 12 Mar

Jonnyram

Monorojo said:
Really people, DS Lite seems to be bringing so many people to the stores and with the shortages and all, PSP console sales saw a 33% boost last week and now we have 2 PSP titles in the top 10 when one fell off last week.
MH is a long seller like AC and VP is a new game like CoM. It's nothing extraordinary or victorious.

Monorojo

Banned
where have you been the last year or so? PSP has never sold on games...NEVER. Atleast not in Japan.

Really we will just have to wait and see how PSP sold this week, if its around the same level (40k), there is no doubt that it's DS Lite thats helping sales and not VP since it only sold 17k this week.

It all makes perfect sense.

Elios83

Monorojo isn't all wrong on the hardware side.
Nintendo was dwarfing PSP sales at the end on 2005.
Now in first three months of the new year PSP and DS have sold nearly the same amount of unis in Japan.Probably this transition to the DSlite is giving more troubles than benefits to Nintendo at the moment.
Surely things will change but that's it at the moment,it reminds me of what happened to Sony with the transition to PStwo,same problems and Microsoft won their only holyday season :lol
With the difference that Sony is continously working on improving PSP as a platform (as seen with today's announcements) and Microsoft killed the platform when it was giving its best.
Now let's see what will be hardware numbers for the week.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Cheebs said:
Mono makes me want to shoot myself in the head.
He makes me want to do this:
gskarumahit1dw5yr.gif

Raw64life

Monorojo = Izzy 2k6

CoM will probably pass 200k, but I doubt it will get much higher than that. Animal Crossing sales are ridiculous, even with the DS lite launch facorted in. The fact that it's the middle of the March 2006 and half of the titles in the top 10 are 2005 releases is insane.

Elios83 said:
Monorojo isn't all wrong on the hardware side.
Nintendo was dwarfing PSP sales at the end on 2005.
Now in first three months of the new year PSP and DS have sold nearly the same amount of unis in Japan.Probably this transition to the DSlite is giving more troubles than benefits to Nintendo at the moment.
Surely things will change but that's it at the moment,it reminds me of what happened to Sony with the transition to PStwo,same problems and Microsoft won their only holyday season :lol
With the difference that Sony is continously working on improving PSP as a platform (as seen with today's announcements) and Microsoft killed the platform when it was giving its best.
Now let's see what will be hardware numbers for the week.
Well, the original Nintendo DS was selling so much that it completely sold out, and then Nintendo announced the DS Lite, which created even higher demand. If there was an unlimited supply of DSes and DS Lites, I doubt very much that the two handhelds would be so close in sales for the year.

Monorojo

Banned
How am i wrong? Its very obvious that im right.

Anyway, CoM doesnt have the same "omg new tamagotchi/pokemon/NEXT BIG THING" feel that brain training eventually had. Brain Training was something reletively new and untested on a handheld console like DS.

When you look @ CoM....Its just another RPG in a series that many seem to have already gotten tired of.

Elios83

AndoCalrissian said:
Well, the original Nintendo DS was selling so much that it completely sold out, and then Nintendo announced the DS Lite, which created even higher demand. If there was an unlimited supply of DSes and DS Lites, I doubt very much that the two handhelds would be so close in sales for the year.

That's exactly my point.
Nintendo killed by themselves the incredible momentum they had at the end of 2005 with the transition to DSlite (shortages of the original DS are mainly caused by it because they reduced production to make DSlites).
And now they find themselves with nearly the same YTD of PSP in March.So I was wondering if they were wrong with the timing of the introduction of this new model.

Monorojo said:

Anyway, CoM doesnt have the same "omg new tamagotchi/pokemon/NEXT BIG THING" feel that brain training eventually had. Brain Training was something reletively new and untested on a handheld console like DS.

When you look @ CoM....Its just another RPG in a series that many seem to have already gotten tired of.

:lol

So because PS2 launch games fell out of the top ten, and the DS did not have anything substantial released in that week, Valkyrie Profile and MHP are in the top ten because of the DS?

cvxfreak

Monorojo said:

No, you are not right. DS Lite didn't imrpove PSP sales, PSP titles released during March improved PSP sales. End of story, you are repeating Amir0x's easter argument, etc. etc.

Monorojo

Banned
DS Lite brought an unprecedented number of consumers to the marketplace.

DS Lite in itself was in short demand, and another thing is that it can be argued that many interested in DS Lite would also have interest (or already own) a PSP.

Thus when DS Lite was sold out, BAM PSP is there for their taking at a nearly identical price and the biggest 2 games currently available for PSP? You got it, VP and MPH.

1+1=2

Dont try to overcomplicate things.

cvxfreak

Monorojo said:

DS Lite in itself was in short demand, and another thing is that it can be argued that many interested in DS Lite would also have interest (or already own) a PSP.

Thus when DS Lite was sold out, BAM PSP is there for their taking at a nearly identical price and the biggest 2 games currently available for PSP? You got it, VP and MPH.

1+1=2

You just contradicted yourself. If anything, your scenario is far more complicated than simply PSP software selling PSPs.

:lol :lol :lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
cvxfreak said:
You just contradicted yourself. If anything, your scenario is far more complicated than simply PSP software selling PSPs.

:lol :lol :lol
Stop laughing at him, I know when I go to a store and can't find what I want I just buy whatever is there instead.

Monorojo said:

1+1=2

Or, they bought a DS.

Or is that just TOO overcomplicated?

Monorojo

Banned
Overcomplicating it would be trying to come up with some jacked up theory of how exactly VP and (especially) MHP are still selling decently in the LAUNCH week of DS Lite without giving credit to DS Lite for helping these games sell.

They are selling well becuz of all the gamers that DS lite brought to the stores, end of story.

Dont you agree thats atleast the primary factor?

cvxfreak

Fuzzy said:
Stop laughing at him, I know when I go to a store and can't find what I want I just buy whatever is there instead.

True, true.

I know when I wanted to buy a Mac, I opted for a Dell when the Apple Store was sold out!

Seriously, WTF.

Monorojo said:
Overcomplicating it would be trying to come up with some jacked up theory of how exactly VP and (especially) MHP are still selling decently in the LAUNCH week of DS Lite without giving credit to DS Lite for helping these games sell.

They are selling well becuz of all the gamers that DS lite brought to the stores, end of story.

So you're saying that the simple explanation is that the world should be stopping for the DS?

Cool. :)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Monorojo said:
Also Japan needs PS3 ASAP, home console sales are reaching DISASTER levels.
Monorojo from the Premature Ejacula-ton thread said:
This is great news people.

PS2 is far from dead, if Sony rushed out the PS3 like MS did with X360 they would simply be wasting all of the potential PS2 still has. We get more time to enjoy the greatest console ever made, which still has an unbelievable lineup of upcoming games (unlike GCN or Xbox)

Also, for Sony, it means that they will make it just in time for the Holiday season! Huge sales right off the back.

I mean, i can't really understand how any gamers can take this as bad news. Everyone wins.
So which is it?

Monorojo said:
...dont really understand whats happening
Ah...That explains it.

Monorojo

Banned
A Link to the Past said:
Or, they bought a DS.

Or is that just TOO overcomplicated?

Think of it this way, how could 10 people buy a product when there are only 6 avialable? Those 4 others are very likely to buy something else instead of wait patiently, thats simply human nature.

The next best thing? PSP and/or PSP games!

Monorojo said:
Think of it this way, how could 10 people buy a product when there are only 6 avialable? Those 4 others are very likely to buy something else instead of wait patiently, thats simply human nature.

Aren't regular DS systems back in stock now? That would be the 2nd best thing to a DS Lite, not PSP.

cvxfreak

Monorojo said:

No, we don't agree. It's not why PSP sold, period.

Beowvlf

Banned
Kevtones said:
Where do I get the Sonyspin Gogglez that Monorojo is wearing? Can I buy them online?
I'm pretty sure you can only get them in Japan, specifically when you go into a game store to buy a DS, but they're sold out. I hear one's desire to purchase random products increases tenfold when that happens.

Anyways, Mono, next time a simple '2 PSP games in the Top 10? Good stuff' response will go over much better.

Monorojo said:

Good point. After all, after the DS Lite was announced, DS sales bombed hard.

Oh wait...

Monorojo

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
So which is it?

Ah...That explains it.

Japan isnt the only territory btw, its not even the biggest nor most important.

PS2 is still selling 300k a month here [US], selling unbelievably in EU and the only place its really struggling is Japan. Why rush PS3 when PS2 is still Selling 5X the amont of any home console in Japan, and much better than anything in any other territory?

The simple fact is Japan does need PS3 ASAP cuz home console sales are sucking, but they wont get it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
fuck the japanese gamers for not buying rockman rockman. the game is incredible :(

Monorojo said:

Mono, sometimes I wonder if you are a Sony rep that goes on message board to hype Sony products

Bring back Izzy.

Anyway Monorojo, VP and MHP are selling very much in line with what one would have predicted. MHP has been selling around 20k for weeks and weeks, similar to BT last year. It's got nothing to do with the DS Lite. VP is in the top ten because shock horror, it was released last week and new, high profile games tend to stay in the top ten for a few weeks. It dropped from 70k to 20k which is exactly what everyone expected. It'll be out of the charts next week but MHP probably won't, again nothing to do with the DS Lite. The only thing that getting a boost from the Lite is DS software.

Monorojo

Banned
Didnt Nintendo announce they were going to stop production of norm DS in favor of DS Lite? Either way, i dont suspect DS is widely available there anyway, why would Nintendo ship both DS Lite and norm DS units when DS was already in shortage before the DS lite release?

And PSP isnt exactly a random product, its the only other major handheld gaming console on the market.

Its not like someone going to buy a shoe, finding they dont have the shoe they are looking for and then buy a car.

Its happened to every single one of you, simply admit it. You went out to buy a certain game...then when it wasnt there another game caught your eye and to feel like the trip was worth while and not go back empty handed you got it instead.

These things happen everywhere to everyone, even in Japan i swear.

Error2k4 said:
fuck the japanese gamers for not buying rockman rockman. the game is incredible :(

Buy me a copy + a PSP. :(

Monorojo said:
Didnt Nintendo announce they were going to stop production of norm DS in favor of DS Lite? Either way, i dont suspect DS is widely available there anyway, why would Nintendo ship both DS Lite and norm DS units when DS was already in shortage before the DS lite release?

And PSP isnt exactly a random product, its the only other major handheld gaming console on the market.

Its not like someone going to buy a shoe, finding they dont have the shoe they are looking for and then buy a car.

Its happened to every single one of you, simply admit it. You went out to buy a certain game...then when it wasnt there another game caught your eye and to feel like the trip was worth while and not go back empty handed you got it instead.

These things happen everywhere to everyone, even in Japan i swear.

The DS Lite will be plenty available in April. If they can't get a DS Lite, they'll get a DS. Not a completely different system that likely doesn't have a certain game that would do well to replace the game they wanted the DS Lite for.

The problem is that you're saying that it couldn't be the PSP's software that's helping the PSP, but it must be the DS that's boosting PSP. So you're essentially saying that people wouldn't willingly go to the store for a PSP or PSP game.

And you say we shouldn't compare buying a car instead of a shoe, but you're using a far more sensible situation to argue a stupid one?

Of course people might get one game since they couldn't get this other one - it's cheaper, and they likely already have the system that the runner up game is on. You're comparing that to someone going to a store for a DS Lite and Brain Training/Animal Crossing/Nintendogs/Children of Mana, but when they couldn't get it, they decide "hey, why wait, or why buy the same system (albeit uglier) when I can buy a completely different system that doesn't have the games I was going to buy on the DS Lite?". The PSP isn't a replacement for the DS, because they won't be ABLE to buy a DS if they buy a PSP.

Dur.

Fuzzy

Monorojo said:
Yes, in August. Nintendo is still shipping the DS right now.

Monorojo said:
Japan isnt the only territory btw, its not even the biggest nor most important.

PS2 is still selling 300k a month here [US], selling unbelievably in EU and the only place its really struggling is Japan. Why rush PS3 when PS2 is still Selling 5X the amont of any home console in Japan, and much better than anything in any other territory?

The simple fact is Japan does need PS3 ASAP cuz home console sales are sucking, but they wont get it.

Why are you bringing up Europe and the US in a topic about Japan sales?

Fuzzy

Viewtiful Darkness said:
Why are you bringing up Europe and the US in a topic about Japan sales?
I believe he asked the same question to people about bringing up Japan/EU sales in the NPD thread.

Top Bottom