• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6 Mar ~ 12 Mar

I'm starting to get the sense that you're... less than 100% serious all the time Monorojo.

I'd say, though, that if not being able to get a DS was a major reason for a PSP spike, we'd have seen a lot more of it with the big DS shortages of recent times. Instead, DS's lowest week this year was also PSP's lowest week. DS's second lowest week was PSP's second lowest week. DS drops from 106K one week to 25K the next, does PSP pick up the slack? No, it drops from 31K to 26K.

Raw64life

Hopefully we'll get the top 30 with non-rounded numbers soon. It isn't up yet.

Viewtiful Darkness said:
Mono, sometimes I wonder if you are a Sony rep that goes on message board to hype Sony products
That's what I was implying when I said Monorojo = Izzy 2k6. There's a fine line between being a fanboy and being a viral marketer and Monorojo is being absurd to the point where him being a VM isn't out of the question. Although more likely he's just being ridiculous to get a rise out of people. I highly doubt he actually believes what he says.

Thus when DS Lite was sold out, BAM PSP is there for their taking at a nearly identical price and the biggest 2 games currently available for PSP? You got it, VP and MPH.

Now, call me crazy, but why would someone spend well over 150 for something they don't really want?

When someone is going to buy something that expensive, they generally are serious about their investment and will want to buy what they came for. If it isn't there, I'd think a person would wait. A PSP isn't an impulse buy, and it certainly isn't, to me, one of those gum-like products where they don't have the Bazooka Joe, but Wrigley's is fine. The PSP and the DS are pretty different.

Kevtones

It seems to me that PSP and DS are substitutes in Japan. It also seems that despite being a more expensive and advanced product, the PSP is considered an "inferior good" by the Japanese consume. So even when there is a DS shortage, people aren't going to go buy the PSP because its more expensive and therefore not conduicive to its "inferior good" status. ECONOMICS AM FAIL?

ioi

Banned
The whole people buying PSPs cause DS is sold out is absurd!

Does anyone think the original Brain Training will still be top 10 a year from it's original release?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Netrunner2k2 said:
Now, call me crazy, but why would someone spend well over 150 for something they don't really want?

When someone is going to buy something that expensive, they generally are serious about their investment and will want to buy what they came for. If it isn't there, I'd think a person would wait. A PSP isn't an inpusle buy, and it certainly isn't, to me, one of those gum-like products where they don't have the Bazooka Joe, but Wrigley's is fine. The PSP and the DS are pretty different.
Just wait for the big boost the Xbox 360 gets in Japan when the PS3 is sold out. :D

Fuzzy said:
Just wait for the big boost the Xbox 360 gets in Japan when the PS3 is sold out. :D

Oh I'm sure those results will be solid, if not spectacular!

I like how Microsoft is stocking up Xbox 360s in Japan now to get ready for the November rush.

Fuzzy

ioi said:
The whole people buying PSPs cause DS is sold out is absurd!

Does anyone think the original Brain Training will still be top 10 a year from it's original release?
It's only got 2 more months to go so it's entirely possible.

Also, just to note, if DS Lite is responsible for MHP's sales this week, wouldn't the DS Lite be hurting the PSP?

DS Lite launch:

MHP = 25,000
DS Lite = 70,000 (a few thousand less, somewhere around that number anyway)

Second DS Lite launch:

MHP = 17,000
DS Lite = Can't remember, but it was more than 100,000

So in the week that DS Lite had more available, MHP sold less than when the DS Lite was rarer.

The DS shortages will ease up within a few weeks though ... so no IMO it really doesn't impact PSP sales in the long run at all.

Even with some early manufacturing hiccups, the DS isn't exactly cutting edge tech ... and since they're made in China and quickly shipped to Japan, the supply issue will ease by the end of this month IMO.

Cheebs

AC:WW is 100% certain to outsell FFXII in the long run, but who thinks BT2 will? I do. PS2 games that are huge do AMAZING the first week or so then drop dead(Kingdom Hearts 2 anyone?) while DS games continue strong. Brain Training 2 will outsell FFXII I bet.

Cheebs said:
AC:WW is 100% certain to outsell FFXII in the long run, but who thinks BT2 will? I do. PS2 games that are huge do AMAZING the first week or so then drop dead(Kingdom Hearts 2 anyone?) while DS games continue strong. Brain Training 2 will outsell FFXII I bet.

Final Fantasy's a bit bigger than Kingdom Hearts.

A Link to the Past said:
So in the week that DS Lite had more available, MHP sold less than when the DS Lite was rarer.
Well... that's mono's point. Not so much that it's actual DS Lite sales that are causing PSP sales, but the DS Lite hopeful buyers who can't find one.

cvxfreak

Cheebs said:

I now think at least AC and the BTs can outsell FFXII in the long run. Maybe they'll get surpassed temporarily, but after a month or two I expect the BTs, at least the second one, to top it again.

Monorojo

Banned
He brought up another topic that wasnt exactly related to Japan (other than the fact the event it took place) and i had to justify my post, which involved looking outside of just Japan.

Both our posts were off topic, go bother him too.

Netrunner2k2 said:

When someone is going to buy something that expensive, they generally are serious about their investment and will want to buy what they came for. If it isn't there, I'd think a person would wait. A PSP isn't an impulse buy, and it certainly isn't, to me, one of those gum-like products where they don't have the Bazooka Joe, but Wrigley's is fine. The PSP and the DS are pretty different.

show me someone who doesnt want a PSP, ill show yo someone who hates gaming period. Its just that they may be a bit suspicious of the product and when a much safer (and perhaps more fitting to their tastes) DS is avialable they will likely go with that instead.

Like every gamers down in there heart wants a GCN, PS2, and Xbox. But some may favor GCN more than the others, it doesnt mean they arent interested in PS2 or Xbox

But when DS (can replace this with your favorite current gen home console) is no longer avialable, people start seeing whats right in front of them in a better light for what it really is, not for how it compares to other products and all the sudden PSP (say if you liked PS2 the most, this is where GCN or Xbox come in) is a must have. I forget what this is called, but it has a scientific definition.

Thats what made me buy a Gamecube first back in Nov. 2001, Xbox was sold out and i had to take the next best option (IMO) ^_^

Why cant we ban people for lack of logic? There must be some tangible amount of bs that equals objectively observed (for lack of a better word please dont ban me) stupidity.

heidern

Monorojo said:
But when DS (can replace this with your favorite current gen home console) is no longer avialable, people start seeing whats right in front of them in a better light for what it really is, not for how it compares to other products and all the sudden PSP (say if you liked PS2 the most, this is where GCN or Xbox come in) is a must have. I forget what this is called, but it has a scientific definition.
Bullshit?

But actually, it is true that the shortages of the DS had an impact on the psp sales. Think about it, all these thousands of people queueing up for the DS Lite to no avail, all faced with the same prospect for the next few weeks. With hours of queueing an inevitibility surely many people would have bought the psp to keep them occupied while they're queueing up for the DSL.

Oh, and looks like Animal Crossing may blaze past 3 million and perhaps even challenge Dragon Quest 8 total.

Fuzzy

01 NDS Animal Crossing WW - 81,850 (2,116,873)
02 NDS Brain Age 2 - 70,950 (1,504,507)
03 PS2 Sengoku Musou 2 (Samurai Warrior) - 48,632 (473,577)
04 NDS English Training - 42,378 (616,806)
05 NDS Brain Age - 40,904 (1,682,878)
06 PS2 Gundam Climax UC - 33,819 (190,855)
07 NDS Seiken Densetsu CHILDREN of MANA - 26,571 (129,126)
08 PSP Valkyrie Profile Lenneth - 20,826 (90,910)
09 NDS Mario Kart DS - 19,452 (1,171,181)
10 PSP Monster Hunter Portable - 17,282 (558,134)

Someone else can translate 11-30.
http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/ranking.html

mj1108

Monorojo said:
DS Lite brought an unprecedented number of consumers to the marketplace.

DS Lite in itself was in short demand, and another thing is that it can be argued that many interested in DS Lite would also have interest (or already own) a PSP.

Thus when DS Lite was sold out, BAM PSP is there for their taking at a nearly identical price and the biggest 2 games currently available for PSP? You got it, VP and MPH.

1+1=2

Dont try to overcomplicate things.

Please...please...please....stop posting. You're embarassing yourself and Sonybots everywhere.

cvxfreak

11 - 30:

11: PS2 / Monster Hunter 2
12: PSP / Sakura Taisen 1 and 2
13: DS / Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisetchi
14: DS / Yawaraka Atamajuku
15: PS2 / World Soccer Winning Eleven 9 Bonus Pack
16: PS2 / Devil Summoner Raidou
17: PS2 / Genso Suikoden V
18: PS2 / Disgaea 2
19: DS / Dare Demo Asobi Taizen
20: PSP / Daito Pachislot Simulator Osu! Banchou Portable
21: DS / Doraemon 2006 DS
22: PSP / Initial D: Street Stage
23: DS / Eyeshield 21: MAXDEVIL POWER
24: DS / Machigai Museum
25: DS / Mario & Luigi RPG 2
26: PS2 / Tenkabito
27: DS / Tengai Makyou II MANJIMARU
28: DS / Puzzloop
29: GBA / Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (Ultimate Hits)
30: DS / Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Ao no Kyuujotai

polg

cvxfreak said:
Dengeki up:

Animal Crossing: 90,000 / 2,167,000
More Brain Training: 75,000 / 1,500,000
DS Lite: 83,000
DS: 49,000

it is quite amazing that normal DS sales remain quite high as well...

jarrod

Banned
Monorojo said:
Japan isnt the only territory btw, its not even the biggest nor most important.
It has been for next generation handhelds so far though... expect that to continue until the American GBA base moves wholesale to DS. ;)

ioi said:
:lol at Mono and I'm afraid boys and girls that CoM is dead and will do 200k at best.
I'd have to agree... recent Square Enix handheld lifetime predictions...

FFIV Advance~ 240.000
Slime Morimori 2~ 325.000
Children of Mana~ 215.000
Valkyrie Lenneth~ 155.000

Monorojo

Banned
22: PSP / Initial D: Street Stage

Hmmmm this is going to struggle to get to 100k after all.

And 5 PSP titles in the top 22? Well thats hawt

Japan = DS domination.

End of discussion.

If Sony was going to make a push it would've happened already and it would've happened the week Winning Eleven/white PSP came out in Japan.

And DS Lite production is only going to rise as the weeks go on, Nintendo seems to have stemmed some of the demand by also pumping out some standard DS units for the time being.

jarrod

Banned
Holy crap, the top 30 is...

53% DS
27% PS2
17% PSP
1% GBA

..not only is DS "fending off" PSP, but it's also slain the mighty PS2. :)

Monorojo

Banned
Nice comparision there Jarrod.

Comparing DS at the height of its popularity to PS2 at the lowest point of its popularity, (its been out for 6~ years for crying out loud).

PS2 at its height owned what, 80-90% of every weekly top 100?

Sure has slain the PS2!

Fuzzy

soundwave05 said:
Japan = DS domination.

End of discussion.

If Sony was going to make a push it would've happened already and it would've happened the week Winning Eleven/white PSP came out in Japan.

And DS Lite production is only going to rise as the weeks go on, Nintendo seems to have stemmed some of the demand by also pumping out some standard DS units for the time being.
I don't think you should dismiss the new (cheap) PSP package that's being released in April.

ACWW is very well deserving of those sales. :D Sad for Children of Bomba though. :( I wonder how other popular franchises like Tales of the Tempest and Final Fantasy III will do... I hope they at least do well.

Monorojo said:
Really people, DS Lite seems to be bringing so many people to the stores and with the shortages and all, PSP console sales saw a 33% boost last week and now we have 2 PSP titles in the top 10 when one fell off last week.

DS Lite isn't killing PSP like you all thought it would, its boosting its sales. Very ironic

Aren't you dizzy yet from all this spinning?

jarrod

Banned
Monorojo said:

Comparing DS at the height of its popularity to PS2 at the lowest point of its popularity, (its been out for 6~ years for crying out loud).

Sure has slain the PS2!
Fact is, Sony's failing on both fronts to a handheld N64 boasting edutainment and puppy sims as it's hot software... PS3 can't come soon enough.

neo2046

How many copies of FF4 Advance sold in US?
something I want is Square-Enix changes its mind to port FF 5 and FF6 to DS
no 3D, I just want sharper 2D graphic and better music

Probationsmack said:
Was doraemon ds in last week's chart? :[
I have the total sales of some games here:

Namco's Machigai Museum - over 50,000
BLEACH DS - over 70,000
PUZZLOOP DS - over 15,000
doraemon ds - over 25,000
Daredemo Asobi Taizen - over 400,000

cvxfreak

Monorojo said:

Sure has slain the PS2!

DS has set Japanese sales records previously set by the PS2. You decide.

Monorojo

Banned
But DS software isnt nearly as strong is it (overall of course)? Could be completely wrong here btw, considering the first party sales of DS games.

But no question thrid parties (as goes with being a nintendo handheld) suck compared to PS2 @ this point.

Monorojo said:
But DS software isnt nearly as strong is it (overall of course)? Could be completely wrong here btw, considering the first party sales of DS games.

But no question thrid parties (as goes with being a nintendo handheld) suck compared to PS2 @ this point.

PS2 third party games didn't have to compete with Mario/Zelda/etc type games. -_-

ioi

Banned
Monorojo said:

DS has outperformed PS2 for the same timeframe in every way.

Monorojo

Banned
Well thats pretty cool and quite surprising. I knew DS was doing well but not that well :) .

Sorry for my ignorance on the subject tbqh

How is PSP doing compared to PS2?

Top Bottom