• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/21 - 7/27

duckroll

botticus said:
Previous post. I'll believe it when the numbers pop up, but it's less unlikely after it happens to another game.

I might be (probably am) wrong about the Fatal Frame numbers, it's just something I thought I saw earlier today. SC4 is confirmed though, Sinobi says that they lost their chance because of a low shipment and it couldn't be found in any stores after the initial shipment.

I think 30k or so is more realistic for FF, especially after the bad worth of mouth after it came out regarding the controls and the bugs.

duckroll said:
I think 30k or so is more realistic for FF, especially after the bad worth of mouth after it came out regarding the controls and the bugs.

Well, I hope that doesn't stop it at least pulling up closer to the LTD of the previous two titles. The "bugs" seem very minor, and the control issues are slightly overplayed, I think, so it would be a shame for them to screw the game.

duckroll

Cosmonaut X said:
Well, I hope that doesn't stop it at least pulling up closer to the LTD of the previous two titles. The "bugs" seem very minor, and the control issues are slightly overplayed, I think, so it would be a shame for them to screw the game.

The problem is that the vibe and word of mouth in general is bad though. I'm sure a lot of the people actually playing the game are enjoying it, but the "word" that's out is pretty negative imo. Definitely not going to help the legs of the game.

Vinci

Danish
duckroll said:
The problem is that the vibe and word of mouth in general is bad though. I'm sure a lot of the people actually playing the game are enjoying it, but the "word" that's out is pretty negative imo. Definitely not going to help the legs of the game.

These and the controls massively need to be reworked before the NA / EU releases of the game. I think Fatal Frame Wii has a chance to sell in those regions, but it can't bring this sort of shit into it.

AnimeTheme said:
I wonder how far Phantasy Star Portable can go. If it has legs, it may surpass CCFF7.
Could. Crisis Core had a higher first week (470K), but considering it being an FF, anticipated for years, and not being multiplayer, it was expectedly front-heavy.

Vinci said:
These and the controls massively need to be reworked before the NA / EU releases of the game. I think Fatal Frame Wii has a chance to sell in those regions, but it can't bring this sort of shit into it.

Why? Because IGN griped about them?

The impressions at FF sites like Beyond the Camera's Lens and here from people playing the game have been fairly neutral about the controls and, to be quite frank, most of the bitching about the control setup has come from people who haven't played the game yet & who had their heart set on a pointer-based control setup.

I wonder if DQV sold over 100k this week; it's @ >75k, but I wonder what the exact numbers are from Famitsu just to know how close to the million mark it is now.

And I think PSP could probably outdo CC FF7, just need to see how much legs it has. Obviously the first day sales were superb selling 90% of the shipment so the 400k total shipment should be easily cleared by next week.

Mrbob

Phantasy Star Portable sold 330K the first week? Holy shit. :lol
I suppose with the success of Monster Hunter I shouldn't be too surprised.

duckroll

Personally I feel that PSP should surpass Crisis Core. It's not even much of an issue at all imo. There are other dungeon crawlers and smaller games that have tried to imitate MHP's success or piggyback on it, but this is the first title that actually looks like it has a shot at really taking advantage of that fanbase on the system. If it does in fact surpass Crisis Core, then I don't doubt for a second that AgitoXIII is going to set the PSP on fire when it comes out.

Pachael

JoshuaJSlone said:
Could. Crisis Core had a higher first week (470K), but considering it being an FF, anticipated for years, and not being multiplayer, it was expectedly front-heavy.

PS Portable has the 4th highest first-week sales for the PSP (330K). The top two, are Monster Hunter 2G ~820K and Monster Hunter 2 ~750K

So that's pretty good (for Sega)

Vinci

Danish
Cosmonaut X said:
Why? Because IGN griped about them?

No, because they sound counter-intuitive to the point of putting it on the Wii in the first place.

The impressions at FF sites like Beyond the Camera's Lens and here from people playing the game have been fairly neutral about the controls and, to be quite frank, most of the bitching about the control setup has come from people who haven't played the game yet & who had their heart set on a pointer-based control setup.

Because it was reasonable to think they'd feature that sort of control system? And if they weren't going to deliver on that, they should have developed controls that provided some noticeable benefit. Being 'fairly neutral' about its controls means they didn't do that, and it makes the entire project seem half-assed.

Vinci said:
No, because they sound counter-intuitive to the point of putting it on the Wii in the first place.
I haven't played any Fatal Frame so I don't have anything to say about that, but I'd think massive userbase advantage and being published by Nintendo are two pretty good reasons to have it on Wii.

Vinci

Danish
JoshuaJSlone said:
I haven't played any Fatal Frame so I don't have anything to say about that, but I'd think massive userbase advantage and being published by Nintendo are two pretty good reasons to have it on Wii.

I get why it's there. I'm simply saying how it appears to people interested in the title because, "OMG imagine what the wiimote could do for this type of game," was rampant when this was first announced. Even people with no prior experience with the series were suddenly interested. And what people were wanting wasn't exactly rocket science: They simply wanted to use the IR in an intelligent way, much as it's been used in other games. To not provide that, but instead offer up tank controls? It's like Wii Sports Golf: The use of the Wiimote for it is obvious, but imagine if they hadn't done that and instead had you play it like any other golf game on any other system ever?

Developers wanting to do well on the Wii need to take advantage of what the system offers them.

Vinci

Danish
Busaiku said:
Great to see that Wario has legs.
It could just pull off some respectable numbers.

Hasn't price collapsed. Retailers are giving it the chance to show its legs, betting on it selling consistently over a long time since Nintendo titles seem to do that.

Neomoto

Vinci said:
I get why it's there. I'm simply saying how it appears to people interested in the title because, "OMG imagine what the wiimote could do for this type of game," was rampant when this was first announced. Even people with no prior experience with the series were suddenly interested. And what people were wanting wasn't exactly rocket science: They simply wanted to use the IR in an intelligent way, much as it's been used in other games. To not provide that, but instead offer up tank controls? It's like Wii Sports Golf: The use of the Wiimote for it is obvious, but imagine if they hadn't done that and instead had you play it like any other golf game on any other system ever?

Developers wanting to do well on the Wii need to take advantage of what the system offers them.
I agree. It's a really dumb move imo. I mean come on, such implementation should go without saying since it's being on Wii. The creator even said that a part of the decision to put it out on the Wii was the controlls, how it would make you feel more immersive and make the game more scarier. I think the game looks awesome and I'll probably still get it but I really hope they'll find a way to put in "Wii controlls" for the localized version.

Vinci said:

No necesarilly, for 2d games for instance(basic controls mapped out to d-pad, and 1 and 2 buttons). Fr this instance though, it just makes no sense why they went with tank controls.

Rock_Man said:
Virtua Fighter 2
Love & Berry DS
Phantasy Star Portable

Somewhere, deep under the earth, the corpse of the Phantasy Star RPG series weeps salty tears :(

Magicpaint said:
I wonder if DQV sold over 100k this week; it's @ >75k, but I wonder what the exact numbers are from Famitsu just to know how close to the million mark it is now.

What I'm wondering now is how fast its dropoff will be from here on out. The weekly numbers for DQIV are all wonky due to the cartridge shortage, so it's hard to form a good comparison model -- although I feel like at this point 1.3+ million is a very safe guess, especially if this week is closer to the 100k end.

So I modified the hardware sales line generator to allow not only for a "sum from date" as is already possible, but a "sum through date", telling the numbers to stop adding up. This allows for some sights more similar to Panther's year-versus-year-versus-year-etc images.

Here's a sample comparing DS years. Note that they all have the same start date, so their timelines jive. They'll all have the same start date if you only fill in the first, so that's easy enough. Then each one has a unique sum from date giving the beginning of one year's measures and a sum through date giving the last week of the year.

This also means that even in the more normal year-versus-year images where everything starts from the same point, the problem of 53 week years can be worked around. Here's the modified version of the previous DS example. 2004 was a 53 week year, so the little red line goes one week further than the rest.

On the downside to all of this... damn, every time I expand the capabilities, the legend at the right puffs up even more trying to pass it all along.

Actually, the main thing that got me in the line-stopping mood was that though I made a PHP program to generate line images from pre-set groups (mostly because I couldn't display large groups on GAF without such a shorthand), I wanted to be able to show the state of a group from an arbitrary point in time. So while here's a view of the Metal Gear group as it is now, here's what it looks like using only software data through the first week of 2005.

Rock_Man

And here is another example with total Sony sales over the years (through July something). Joshua, you should allow for more than 6 lines when viewing them like this. That way we could add Nintendo and Microsoft to the same graph without having any big problems distinguish them from each other.

FrankT

Xbox 360's 'Tales of Vesperia' Launches in Tokyo

Martyn Williams, IDG News Service

Close Wednesday, August 06, 2008 5:40 PM PDT

"Tales of Vesperia," the latest in Namco Bandai's long-running "Tales" series of games, debuted to a couple of hundred waiting gamers in Tokyo on Thursday morning.

Sales of the Xbox 360 title began a little after 8 a.m. at Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo's Akihabara electronics district, where about 200 people were waiting by the time the game launched. The first person in line arrived late on Wednesday night.

Yodobashi opened sales at 8 a.m. to people buying a bundle of the game and a special-edition "Tales of Vesperia" Xbox 360 console. The bundle, which includes a Vesperia faceplate and additional DVD, costs ¥37,800 (US$345), while the game itself costs ¥7,800, although major electronics retailers are discounting the game price by about ¥1,000.

Japan is the first country to see the game, which will go on sale in North America on Aug. 26 and in Europe in the first half of next year. The role-playing game follows other titles, including "Tales of Symphonia" and "Tales of the Abyss," and sees characters Yuri and Flynn embark on a quest to save their world.

Microsoft is betting on popular Japanese role-playing games like "Tales of Vesperia" to help popularize the Xbox 360 in the market. The console trails Nintendo's Wii and Sony's PlayStation 3 in a distant third place in Japan. Sales of the console totaled 4,941 units in the last week of July, according to figures from Media Create. In contrast, the Wii sold 41,024 units, the PlayStation 3 sold 10,692 units and the PlayStation 2 sold 9,291 units, the company said.

Another Xbox 360 title awaited by Japanese gamers, Square Enix's "Infinite Undiscovery," is scheduled to go on sale Sept 11.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/149517/xbox_360s_tales_of_vesperia_launches_in_tokyo.html

Looks like Tales may be having a bit of a nice debut in Japan.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Nice to see SEGA do a smart business decision for once, PSP looked ready to tap into the huge market that MH created for PSP. I can already see all these MH clones for PSP in the horizon, though. lol.

Tenbatsu

More than 100 people queuing for Tales of Vesperia in Japan!
15p1mwp.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1217232_1124.html

FrankT

Oh man this could be good next week. 100 there and 200 at the other Toyko location. Any truth to that Kotaku rumor about low 360 stock? This could be the wrong time for that haha.

SC4 360 first day and first week is the same. That's hardcore.

timbe said:
Has 360 ever sold more units a week than PS3? If not, it's most likely gonna happen next week.
IIRC, the 360 crossed streams with the PS3 before the PS3 did the same to the Wii.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
SCIV PS3: 75k
SCIV 360: 35k <-- top 10!!
Fatal Frame IV: 33k
WiiFit: 32k
MKWii: 23k

if the rest isn't posted by one of the donny or cheesy in about 30 minutes, i'll start the new thread and then edit it as needed.

Top Bottom