• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/21 - 7/27

RpgN

C.T. said:
I own both systems. It just seems strange some are calling it "ass kicking" with merely 10-20k more units sold per week. Software really sells better, at least the gundams and known IPs and I hope we se more RPGs. But DQ going to PSP? I wouldn't mind a DQ for PSP, but all the games went to DS and with DS lead a DQ for PSP is highly unlikely.

Who said psp were kicking ass? I know we're you're coming from though. My point of few is that the psp is holding its own very well against the ds. Past consoles/handhels were considered failures and only one was the leader. That's not the case here.

Regarding the games, that's what I love about this generation. You can't survive with only one machine anymore. Third party games are releasing games for everybody IMO As for DQ, I don't see a DQ coming to the psp. But who knows? You can't be sure with SE lately.

donny2112

RpgN said:
You can't survive with only one machine anymore.

If your goal was to play the best games from each generation and you only had one console from each generation previously, you failed at that goal miserably.

Weisheit

RpgN said:
Past consoles/handhels were considered failures and only one was the leader. That's not the case here.
I think the problem is that this statement is factually incorrect.

RpgN

donny2112 said:
If your goal was to play the best games from each generation and you only had one console from each generation previously, you failed at that goal miserably.

Ps2 says hi. For instance fans of RPGs knew the ps2 was the rpg king. Who is it now?

And if you read my previous comments, you would know I own multiple machines. But not everyone did...And what was the safe platform? Who is it now?

Durante

donny2112 said:
His name is RpgN, so I'll wager a guess that he's talking mostly about RPGs. The situation really changed most drastically there. For the last two generations you could own a PS1/2 and not miss out on probably around 90% of all releases. This time around, you'll not even manage to reach that number with 2 platforms combined.

RpgN

Durante said:
His name is RpgN, so I'll wager a guess that he's talking mostly about RPGs. The situation really changed most drastically there. For the last two generations you could own a PS1/2 and not miss out on probably around 90% of all releases. This time around, you'll not even manage to reach that number with 2 platforms combined.

Thank you. That's what I meant.

Ps. it's a she :D

RpgN said:
Ps2 says hi. For instance fans of RPGs knew the ps2 was the rpg king. Who is it now?

And if you wanted to play FPS? then what? Which is the point people are making. No system was all things to all people in any generation. The PS2 wasn't, the PS1 wasn't, the SNES wasn't, the NES wasn't.

If you wanted to play all the great AAA games released in a console generation you have to own all the systems.

RpgN said:
And if you read my previous comments, you would know I own multiple machines. But not everyone did...And what was the safe platform? Who is it now?

Right now? The RPG king would be the DS by a considerable margin.

I try to avoid posting in MC threads because I'm realy not knowledgable enough about the Japanese market to make well informed posts that add to the discussion. You may want to consider doing the same...

Oh boy an exclusive game does good for the PSP and out comes the fanboys from the woodworks. All of a sudden the PSP is a software powerhouse compared to the DS. :lol

RpgN

Shin Johnpv, the ps2 had more than enough FPSs. You picked the only genre, were the competition (xbox) was stronger with, how smart of you. I get what you mean, but we're hardcore gamers who want to own them all. The 120m+ vs 24+ and 22 says not all can. Ps2 was the all round platform that had everything. The rest had their first party games mostly. I don't see that happening now.

Saint tregory, you're telling me you can own a ds only for RPGs and forget about the psp, xbox 360 etc. this generation? Now that's not a ps2 situation and you know it.

Bishoplamont, would you mind reading more before giving such a statement? These are the kind of people I don't like= make conclusion from a different context. To me I love both the ds and psp equally and can't choose a favourite. I said both are selling well, psp improving, they can co-exist and suddenly I'm a sony fanboy (or girl?)

Fady K

RpgN said:
Shin Johnpv, the ps2 had more than enough FPSs. You picked the only genre, were the competition (xbox) was stronger with, how smart of you. I get what you mean, but we're hardcore gamers who want to own them all. The 120m+ vs 24+ and 22 says not all can. Ps2 was the all round platform that had everything. The rest had their first party games mostly. I don't see that happening now.

Saint tregory, you're telling me you can own a ds only for RPGs and forget about the psp, xbox 360 etc. this generation? Now that's not a ps2 situation and you know it.

Bishoplamont, would you mind reading more before giving such a statement? These are the kind of people I don't like= make conclusion from a different context. To me I love both the ds and psp equally and can't choose a favourite. I said both are selling well, psp improving, they can co-exist and suddenly I'm a sony fanboy (or girl?)

You're not a fanboy, I agree with you, I have and love both my PSP and DS, but there is no denying the PSP is doing so damn well in Japan - and the software of decent looking titles is doing pretty well too.

RpgN said:
Shin Johnpv, the ps2 had more than enough FPSs. You picked the only genre, were the competition (xbox) was stronger with, how smart of you.

The PS2 also had horrible analog sticks, which made playing FPS's on it horrible and worthless. Really IMHO the only genres the PS2 really had last gen were RPGs, 2D Fighters, and verticle shooters. Outside of that plenty of good games in the other genres could be found on the other consoles. Thats how it is, the other consoles get good games in multiple genres as well.

Same as it was for every generation before hand, and same as itll be for every generation after.

Weisheit

RpgN said:
To me I love both the ds and psp equally and can't choose a favourite. I said both are selling well, psp improving, they can co-exist and suddenly I'm a sony fanboy (or girl?)
Of course they can coexist, why is that surprising to anyone? Its been like that for decades now on the console side, why would it be any different with handhelds(lets not forget before PSP Nintendos HH's never had competition)? Your assertion that because they can coexist there's no clear leader is nonsense.

RpgN

Weisheit said:
Of course they can coexist, why is that surprising to anyone? Its been like that for decades now on the console side, why would it be any different with handhelds(lets not forget before PSP Nintendos HH's never had competition)? Your assertion that because they can coexist there's no clear leader is nonsense.

hmmm...The difference that I see is third parties not picking one side this generation. This generation there is no true leader for third parties. But I'll stop right here. I've had more than my share of this discussion and looks like I can't explain well in English (not my motherlanguage).

Fady k, yep. It's great to be an owner of both. At least someone agrees :p Ty

RpgN

cvxfreak said:
As an RE fan, it's offensive to say that the PS2 was the only adequate platform for a gamer last gen.

Sorry about that. I loved the remake. But in the end the fans knew the story from RES1 on the ps1 and RES4 was ported in the end...I have yet to finish zero, but I'm not liking it as much as the remake.

Fady K

cvxfreak said:
As an RE fan, it's offensive to say that the PS2 was the only adequate platform for a gamer last gen.

I agree.

Honestly though, as a videogame fan, i have learned that there is no such thing as "adequate system". Whatever the genre, IMO.

Weisheit

RpgN said:
hmmm...The difference that I see is third parties not picking one side this generation. This generation there is no true leader for third parties. But I'll stop right here. I've had more than my share of this discussion and looks like I can't explain well in English (not my motherlanguage).

Fady k, yep. It's great to be an owner of both. At least someone agrees :p Ty
What genuinely big third party exclusives did the GBA have to begin with (I really don't know)? As far "third parties picking one side", er, what other side was there last gen in regards to HH? Seems to me HH have become a much bigger focus for Japan and its games as a whole, even bigger then the home consoles. The DS is the main reason thats true.

Fady K

RpgN said:
Sorry about that. I loved the remake. But in the end the fans knew the story from RES1 on the ps1 and RES4 was ported in the end...I have yet to finish zero, but I'm not liking it as much as the remake.

Yeah, in my opinion, RE0 doesnt touch the remake at allll. The remake was soooo goood. Very damn scary too.

cvxfreak

RpgN said:

None actually taken, but I think donny made a very good point earlier.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
what madness. i think some people need to see some charts.

wait will anyone ban me for posting charts in a sales thread?

RpgN said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm saying. I don't know how you can argue that it's not possible for someone to make it though this gen with only a DS when the numbers clearly show that's what the vast number of Japanese gamers are doing right now.

And since you're continuing on this very strange course for your argument I'd like to point out to you how flawed it is to compare the beating the PS2 put on the Gamecube/Xbox to what the DS has done to the PSP.

First of all the Gamecube and Xbox never saw a redesign in Japan (or anywhere for that matter) which has been a huge part of the PSP resurgence. Secondly, being that they're home consoles there really isn't any reason to have more than one per family like PSPs. And third and most importantly the GC/Xbox didn't have secondary functions that would make people purchase them for purposes other than gaming.

I don't want to diminish what the PSP has accomplished as it's the first handheld to really hold it's own against a Nintendo handheld but from a software prospective I don't see how you can say that the PSP is doing better in Japan than the GC did last gen.

RpgN said:

You know what? never mind... I really give up. This is a sales thread isn't it? I'm not crazy in saying that there is sales data in the very first post that flies in the face of this statement?

ds dominated for years and earned geat support by third-parties, now the psp has begun selling well and a lot of good games are being announced. more support for every handeld on the market, everyone wins.

what's about the whining in this thread?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Are we not getting monthly Famitsu top 50's anymore? I feel like we haven't gotten it for a few months..

RpgN

Fady K said:
Yeah, in my opinion, RE0 doesnt touch the remake at allll. The remake was soooo goood. Very damn scary too.

Yes, I remember how I had a heartattack when a dead zombie moved again. And Lisa!

BTW did RE0 answer the many questions like promised?

Saint Gregory, I already stopped. I have seen how there are others with different opinions and my lack of English not helping at all.

jeremy1456

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
At this point, I beleive that DQIX on DS AND PSP is a very realistic possibility.

It's about as likely, as say, Final Fantasy XIII being cancelled for PS3 and Xbox 360 and released for Gamecube instead.

Seriously, where do you come up with this stuff?

Fady K

RpgN said:
Yes, I remember how I had a heartattack when a dead zombie moved again. And Lisa!

BTW did RE0 answer the many questions like promised?

Saint Gregory, I already stopped. I have seen how there are others with different opinions and my lack of English not helping at all.

Actually, not too spoilery but
it doesnt really explain much at all - it does take place before RE, yes, but it barely explains much at all. It does have some background on wesker and umbrella's folks, but its nothing groundbreaking like the REmake stuff at all.

farnham

Banned
°°ToMmY°° said:
ds dominated for years and earned geat support by third-parties, now the psp has begun selling well and a lot of good games are being announced. more support for every handeld on the market, everyone wins.

what's about the whining in this thread?
its the usual thing

PSP supporters claim that the DS is now dead and the PSP will replace it fast.. Disregarding the fact that the DS already sold twice as much and still sells a lot of software..

DS supporters say that the PSP is a fad... Disregarding the fact that the PSP is doing well for a year now

The truth lies inbetween

Fady K

farnham said:
its the usual thing

PSP supporters claim that the DS is now dead and the PSP will replace it fast.. Disregarding the fact that the DS already sold twice as much and still sells a lot of software..

DS supporters say that the PSP is a fad... Disregarding the fact that the PSP is doing well for a year now

The truth lies inbetween

Im a DS and PSP supporter and I think both of them are doing damn good. And that means userbases get bigger and bigger, more games get announced, chances of sales may rise, and we are all happy :D

Spiegel

The thing is that PSP is a healty platform in Japan and probably it's going to get big new games. The S-E party today is a great example.

But NDS isn't going to stop getting those because of that.

And that's fantastic for gamers.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Fady K said:
Im a DS and PSP supporter and I think both of them are doing damn good. And that means userbases get bigger and bigger, more games get announced, chances of sales may rise, and we are all happy :D

Exactly.

Frankly I am pretty irritated that after Nintendo creamed the PSP for a while that they rested on their laurels. Nothing would be better for the handheld market for the PSP to do well so that Nintendo would take Handheld Consoles seriously again.

We need a second revolution to shake things up a bit.

farnham

Banned
cvxfreak said:
last gen the only adequate platform for me was the GC

had a ps2 but barely played on it.. never owned an xbox (played most of the titles i wanted to play through the 360)

Same thing this gen.. Wii is the only adequate Platform for me.. 360 is just for some games that I cant get for the Wii but I really like to have (Rare and Silicon Knights stuff as well as VF5)

Spiegel said:
The thing is that PSP is a healty platform in Japan and probably it's going to get big new games. The S-E party today is a great example.

But NDS isn't going to stop getting those because of that.

And that's fantastic for gamers.

Yup.. the PSP is finally looking interesting to me

The DS otherwise has still a lot of stuff going.. I mean are people forgetting that the best selling game this week will probably break one million next month..?

Durante

farnham said:
PSP supporters claim that the DS is now dead and the PSP will replace it fast..
Show me a single person in this thread who claimed anything even remotely close to this. I fucking hate strawman arguments.

Fady K

Hcoregamer00 said:
Exactly.

Frankly I am pretty irritated that after Nintendo creamed the PSP for a while that they rested on their laurels. Nothing would be better for the handheld market for the PSP to do well so that Nintendo would take Handheld Consoles seriously again.

We need a second revolution to shake things up a bit.

Agreed. Its not even Nintendo that makes the stuff I want on the DS - its mainly the third parties, Nintendo is capable of much more surely. Though im honestly really glad that the PSP isnt getting creamed any more, I have always enjoyed the PSP just as much, and im glad its getting more attention these days - a few months ago i was afraid i was looking at a dead system with nothing much on the horizon.

pablohatesyouandthinksyouarenuts.jpg

[Nintex]

Wow, Media Create thread got popular again what's going on?
*reads*
Woah, I'm heading back to Spaceworld to play Super Mario 128...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm very curious to see how Fatal Frame IV holds up. The PS2 games seemed incredibly front loaded. If it has legs, then it's at least tapping a bit into a new userbase. If it dies off, then it sold to the existing FF audience and no one else.

Fady K

schuelma said:
I'm very curious to see how Fatal Frame IV holds up. The PS2 games seemed incredibly front loaded. If it has legs, then it's at least tapping a bit into a new userbase. If it dies off, then it sold to the existing FF audience and no one else.

My question is - with Nintendo copublishing it - why the hell didnt it get marketed better? I know, Nintendo is not too good with marketing its games, but still, this isnt a Nintendo game, its also a Grasshopper M. and Tecmo game!

Btw, do you have any idea if famed Grasshopper composer Masafumi Takada worked on the music of FF? If he did that would be SO awesome ;_;

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Can anybody produce a timeline of when the different colors for each system have been released?

I know the DSL was released in 03/06 and the PSP Slim was just released, but I'm looking for any additional colors/packages/etc and their dates of release.

If anybody can help he or she will be fully credited! :)

cvxfreak

PantherLotus said:
Can anybody produce a timeline of when the different colors for each system have been released?

I know the DSL was released in 03/06 and the PSP Slim was just released, but I'm looking for any additional colors/packages/etc and their dates of release.

If anybody can help he or she will be fully credited! :)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/lite/color/index.html

Crystal White - 3/2/06
Enamel Navy - 3/11/06
Ice Blue - 3/11/06
Noble Pink - 7/20/06
Jet Black - 9/6/02
Gloss Silver - 6/23/07
Metallic Pink - 6/23/07
Crimson/Black - 10/4/07

There were DSL limited edition hardware for FFIII, FFXIIRW, FFCCRoF, The World Ends With You, Pokemon DP (game itself unbundled), Jump Ultimate Stars, Love and Berry and Winning Eleven DS. There were also two special Pikachu editions (one all yellow, one a white w/ the Pikachu design).

Segata Sanshiro said:
Look, all I'm saying is SEGA, motherfuckers, SEGA.
If PSP PSP can move 50K past that first day number, that will pretty much top any of their other 2007 or 2008 releases. We need to go back to late 2006 to find bigger ones: Yakuza (the Best), Yakuza 2, and Love & Berry.

Top Bottom