• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/21 - 7/27

guina said:
More like Monster Hunter. It is a port of Phantasy Star Universe with some tweaks. The demo was kinda meh to be honest, felt like a crap port, but looks like its selling well.

The final game has better frame rate (single player mode), and the other maps look better than those in the demo. The only complaint I have so far is the game seems a bit too easy, even as a "portable" MMO.

duckroll said:
Yeah, it's too late for that too. I don't think anything really story heavy will lend well to the formula honestly. What Japanese gamers want on their PSPs right now is clearly multiplayer action heavy games they can play with up to 4 or more friends, involving characters upgrading their appearances and weapons while beating on huge bosses.

I have been wondering if maybe they can milk some kind of FF11 side story for PSP...

toypop

Some rumors/facts around ToV and 360 in Japan.

* Looks like 360 are almost out of stock in various retailers and online shops.
A shop worker wrote up on his blog that he complained about that to area representative.

* Both ToV demands(or SE's RPG ad campaigns maybe) and MS haven't shipped extra 360s for months led this shortage.

* Unlike Wario, You can see a lot of ToV ads on local TV mainly in Anime programs. Both Namco and MS have their own ToV ad film. I saw a lot of them on "27 hour TV". a special TV show aired last weekend.

* Gamers know the rumors that new 60GB SKU will be announced after ToV-week like mid august and its release day will be early September, it shuns potential buyers.

* Retailer's rumor say ToV's sales goal will be 150K in Japan, And bundles are never be as much as BlueDragon's one. (Some say it's only 7650 bundles)

* ToV bundle's demands are big, but online preorders are suffered by auction scams(mostly in Y! auctions). I feel MS could get 50k preorders easily if they made more.

* This Monday, Namco announced a quickie present campaign for those who failed to preorder bundle to push normal version's sales.

* Famitsu's reviews are welcomed not because of its score but there are zero negatives inside review. And leaked appearance of
Dhaos from ToP
tempting fans who still undecided.

* Some of Tales fans in existence still believe that ToV will be ported to PS3, or PS2&Wii like Koei did. And some are denying to buy "faulty" "noisy" console like 360.

* Tales fan base have a lot of teens, girls in their demographics, they are crying in their blog that they can't afford another $350 console after last month's Wii+ToSR combo.

* Amazon.jp restocked extra ToV bundles tonight, but sold out in a few minutes.
I have no idea why this could be happen. maybe they have been waited until enough numbers of the bundle are canceled by those ebay scams

Most of rumors are still unconfirmed, but still fun to speculate.
I thought MS japan should cut 20GB SKU's price earlier and get enough numbers of 60GB SKU for ToV bundles.

Anyway, I'm gonna buy one for me!

guina

AnimeTheme said:
The final game has better frame rate (single player mode), and the other maps look better than those in the demo. The only complaint I have so far is the game seems a bit too easy, even as a "portable" MMO.

Thats good to know, thanks for the info.

Tron 2.0

Not surprising that the 360 is selling out for ToV's release. It's fairly common when a large, Japanese-centric title is released for the console, especially since supply is kept pretty low in Japan anyway.

We'll undoubtably see a bump in hardware sold this next week, but I expect it to remain the worst selling console for the week despite the bump. And then we'll see a large influx of used consoles like we did after Blue Dragon. People seem to purchase it for a single game and then get rid of it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Tron 2.0 said:
I expect the 360 to remain the worst selling console again this week.

I can definitely see 360 outselling PS3 next week.

Tron 2.0

Maybe, but people would have to buy a 360 instead of a PS3 this week AND the supply would need to be there.

If the PS3 sells the same as this week, the 360 would need to more than double its sales. I don't find that likely, to be honest. But it is possible. It may sell better than the PS2, though.

Tron 2.0 said:
Maybe, but people would have to buy a 360 instead of a PS3 this week AND the supply would need to be there.

If the PS3 sells the same as this week, the 360 would need to more than double its sales. I don't find that likely, to be honest. But it is possible. It may sell better than the PS2, though.

Tales is next week, not this.

And if the bundles sell out that would make up the difference.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sphinx said:
it happened once already, right?

sometime last year, we were all like " :O! "

am I right?

Yup. Don't remember when, but it definitely happened. And this year 360 is starting from a higher point.

reminder

jeremy1456 said:
It was the release of Blue Dragon, methinks.

Nope. The only time the 360 was in front of the PS3 in Japan was in the week where Ace Combat 6 and the Xbox 360 Elite were released.

Flakster99

Nice, FF4 performed well considering it's shipment figure, and for being a small franchise in Japan.

I'm Surprised at how close SC4's sales are between 360 and PS3. The 360, in Japan, certainly deserves it's sales, and then some.

I'm both curious and excited to see how well Vesperia will do opening week, and how many 360's Microsoft can sell.

apujanata

toypop said:

* Gamers know the rumors that new 60GB SKU will be announced after ToV-week like mid august and its release day will be early September, it shuns potential buyers.

* Some of Tales fans in existence still believe that ToV will be ported to PS3, or PS2&Wii like Koei did. And some are denying to buy "faulty" "noisy" console like 360.

* Tales fan base have a lot of teens, girls in their demographics, they are crying in their blog that they can't afford another $350 console after last month's Wii+ToSR combo.

I believe that Tales should be released in only one or at most 2 console platform. Spreading them out to X360, PS3 and Wii are a little bit stupid, IMO, like Sega spreading all of their games into every platform.
Sometimes it pays to diversify (port), but it didn't really pay to spread your fan base.
Namco should focus on only two console platform, and I don't care whether it is PS360, Wii360 or WiiPS3.

FrankT

toypop said:

* Looks like 360 are almost out of stock in various retailers and online shops.
A shop worker wrote up on his blog that he complained about that to area representative.

* Both ToV demands(or SE's RPG ad campaigns maybe) and MS haven't shipped extra 360s for months led this shortage.

* Unlike Wario, You can see a lot of ToV ads on local TV mainly in Anime programs. Both Namco and MS have their own ToV ad film. I saw a lot of them on "27 hour TV". a special TV show aired last weekend.

* Retailer's rumor say ToV's sales goal will be 150K in Japan, And bundles are never be as much as BlueDragon's one. (Some say it's only 7650 bundles)

* ToV bundle's demands are big, but online preorders are suffered by auction scams(mostly in Y! auctions). I feel MS could get 50k preorders easily if they made more.

* This Monday, Namco announced a quickie present campaign for those who failed to preorder bundle to push normal version's sales.

* Famitsu's reviews are welcomed not because of its score but there are zero negatives inside review. And leaked appearance of
Dhaos from ToP
tempting fans who still undecided.

* Amazon.jp restocked extra ToV bundles tonight, but sold out in a few minutes.
I have no idea why this could be happen. maybe they have been waited until enough numbers of the bundle are canceled by those ebay scams

Most of rumors are still unconfirmed, but still fun to speculate.
I thought MS japan should cut 20GB SKU's price earlier and get enough numbers of 60GB SKU for ToV bundles.

Anyway, I'm gonna buy one for me!

Nice details there.

ccbfan

Good first day numbers all around.

Holy crap good numbers for PSP PSP.

Biggest surprise for a while. I thought it was going to do under 100k for the week since I never know of the Phantasy Star series being too popular.

Is this already the best selling Phantasy star game?

I think its really time for SE to think of putting a FFCC, FFXI sidegame or some DQ Sidegame on the system. LOL imagine if Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers got moved to the PSP. Ironic considering MH3.

FF4 did pretty well too, I thought it was going to bomb like most low profile Ps2 to Wii transition games.

Yep good week, good numbers all around.

Special Holy crap @ PSP. Sega found a hit.

LOL @ ToV report. The fans have spoken = Bandai Namco pick a fucking console and stick to it, or multiplatform.

Gaborn

ccbfan said:
I think its really time for SE to think of putting a FFCC, FFXI sidegame or some DQ Sidegame on the system. LOL imagine if Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers got moved to the PSP. Ironic considering MH3.

Why would they though? We know that some games will sell wherever they are, I'm guessing (and it's just a guess honestly) that development is a little cheaper on the DS than the PSP, and the DS still has 13 million more consumers than the PSP and is STILL a much more dominant platform in terms of software than the PSP.

Linkup

ccbfan said:

That's actually what they should be doing. Pretty sure most PSP fans wouldn't mind a port of FFCC:CB on PSP or Wii fans a port of KH Birth by sleep? They've stopping playing console exclusives and they should just do the same for the handhelds. If they don't do it this generation then they'll do it next, no more exclusive handheld games. yay

That's actually a pretty decent result for Fatal Frame. The series have never been massive, so we can't expect it to be pull huge numbers, and the way it's travelling right now, it should come close to the sales of previous installments.

ccbfan

Gaborn said:
Why would they though? We know that some games will sell wherever they are, I'm guessing (and it's just a guess honestly) that development is a little cheaper on the DS than the PSP, and the DS still has 13 million more consumers than the PSP and is STILL a much more dominant platform in terms of software than the PSP.

Depends

FFCC did OK on the DS but not too hot. PSP PSP will probably outsell it and post unprecedented numbers for the PS series. FF is a much larger series than PS can ever hope to be. So PSP might be the system of choice for this type of game. Different games sell on different systems. PSP have already showed their base love these type of games. (Hence why I mentioned FFCC, FFXI sidegame, and DQ sidegame not FFXIV, DQIX, KH3).

Plus its not like S-E doesn't already have tons of games on DS.

cvxfreak

Psychotext said:
We've heard this since launch, but it's going the other way.

That said... I don't think building on 10k sales a week should be particularly difficult. For the moment however, HD gaming is dead in Japan.

It's been happening in NA and Europe.

Granted, Japan's truly a market of its own. It's the only place where the PSP visibly reversed its position, nearly 3 years after launch. But we've seen what the big franchises from the PS2 era could do to hardware sales, which is why I think the PS3's outlook isn't too bad with RE5 and FFXIII. FFXIII itself needs to come out reasonably soon, or it may lose its impact.

Gaborn

ccbfan said:
Depends

FFCC did OK on the DS but not too hot. PSP PSP will probably outsell it and post unprecedented numbers for the PS series. FF is a much larger series than PS can ever hope to be. So PSP might be the system of choice for this type of game. Different games sell on different systems. PSP have already showed their base love these type of games. (Hence why I mentioned FFCC, FFXI sidegame, and DQ sidegame not FFXIV, DQIX, KH3).

Plus its not like S-E doesn't already have tons of games on DS.

Yeah, but CC has always been a Nintendo-associated series, starting with the Gamecube of course. I can see moving a franchise from an unsuccessful system to a successful system but I don't think they will move it from a successful system just because they have a lot of games for a particular platform. In fact, if anything that builds the perception of certain games being for that platform and further reinforces the user base and therefore the audience anyway.

_Alkaline_ said:
That's actually a pretty decent result for Fatal Frame. The series have never been massive, so we can't expect it to be pull huge numbers, and the way it's travelling right now, it should come close to the sales of previous installments.

The other games seem to have terrible legs. With the additional "Nintendo" legs to a game, it could beat out it's predecessors all together. Anywhere above 75k would be a huge success, though. It'll be interesting to see how both Wario and this perform for the week.

hinode

Wonder if Square wishes that 358/2 Days and Birth By Sleep had their platforms swapped now, that would probably raise sales of both (but especially 358/2).

Pachael

Some really good news for PSP fans today - Phantasy Star going to be a hit, Parasite Eve 3 announced for PSP, Agito XIII for PSP, Birth by Sleep and Dissidia PSP coming up - major S-E love.

ccbfan said:
Is this already the best selling Phantasy star game?
I can't say what the classic games did, but it doesn't seem like any of the PSO/PSU games reached 200K.
ccbfan said:
LOL imagine if Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers got moved to the PSP.
Crystal Bearers is the one that's supposed to lean single-player, though.

Man, I hope Phantasy Star Portable gets an English release. Looks awesome even if it is PSU based.

Still want Fatal Frame 4.

justchris

botticus said:
A subtitle would be necessary, but I can't argue with removing the number. Unfortunately what if Fatal Frame 5 comes out for the Wii? There's already a Fatal Frame 2, so they'd have to go with 5 or another numberless subtitle.

Nintendo is moving away from numbered game names in general. Band Brothers becomes Band Brothers DX. Rhythm Tengoku becomes Rhythm Tengoku Gold. Wario Land becomes Wario Land Shake. The reasoning for this is simple, Nintendo is targetting people who either haven't gamed in a while or are completely new to console gaming. Such people are easily turned off by numbered entries in a series they've never played before, becasue they'll feel they're missing something. It's also the reason Wii Sports Resort is not actually titled Wii Sports 2.

This is a good idea and I fully support it.

justchris said:
Nintendo is moving away from numbered game names in general.
I don't know if I'd say is moving, but generally moved away by 15 years ago. There are a few exceptions: Metroid Prime, Battalion Wars, Mario Party come to mind from recent years.

ksamedi

PSP doing nicely. I think now that it gained momentum softare sales will be way up as well. Great Phantasy Star sales. We will probably see some big PSP game coming in 2009 if this keeps up. And I can't even think about Gran Turismo Mobile. That game will sell crazy.

There are increased sales with the larger userbase, but it's not like they're booming relative to the other (relevant) systems.

Top new PSP games since the Crisis Core/Slim explosion, through the week of 2008-07-14:

MHP2G: 2.34M
Crisis Core: 754K
*Phantasy Star will go here soon enough*
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee 2: 257K
Power Pro Portable 3: 225K
Gundam Battle Chronicle: 210K

Now for comparison, the top 5 new games for other platforms in the same time period.

DS
Mario Party DS: 1.73M
Pokémon MD Time/Darkness: 1.39M
Dragon Quest IV: 1.20M
Professor Layton and the Devil's Box: 819K
Jump Ultimate Stars: 789K

Wii
Wii Fit: 2.34M
SSBB: 1.67M
Mario Kart Wii: 1.58M
Super Mario Galaxy: 913K
M&S Olympic Games: 561K

PS3
MGS4: 614K
Dynasty Warriors 6: 356K
Devil May Cry 4: 305K
Winning Eleven 2008: 275K
Yakuza Kenzan: 267K

PS2
Winning Eleven 2008: 673K
Warriors Orochi Maou Sairin: 394K
SD Gundam G Generation Spirits: 344K
Super Robot Warsw OG Gaiden: 296K
DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3: 283K

X360
Lost Odyssey: 104K
Ace Combat 6: 94K
Halo 3: 84K
Idolmaster Live For You: 75K
Assassin's Creed: 49K

EDIT: Here's an SQL query that lists sales in descending order of all games released since Crisis Core.

Zen

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first days sales for SCIV aren't actually that bad, are they? I mean between both versions it should hit like 200k? Not very much to be sure, but it will probably do 500-600k ltd in America (I hope) + Europe such. I mean how much could this game have really cost them? 30 million tops?

I've sure we'll see a SCV... :(

Zen said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first days sales for SCIV aren't actually that bad, are they? I mean between both versions it should hit like 200k? Not very much to be sure, but it will probably do 500-600k ltd in America (I hope) + Europe such. I mean how much could this game have really cost them? 30 million tops?

I've sure we'll see a SCV... :(
SCII combined across platforms couldn't have got much beyond 250K. SCIII did about half that. Unless IV's sales are completely first-day-loaded, I'd say it's looking pretty good.

III+PS2

Neomoto

Rhythm Tengoku Gold did amazing! I will definitely get Rhythm Heaven.

Phantasy Star Portable did amazing too.

Fatal Frame 4 did good, I was worried that it would bomb. If it can stay in the top 50 for a few weeks I bet they will be happy with it. Hopefully they'll give a decent push in the west. They have a potential userbase of more than 1 million (Resident Evil) buyers there to which they hopefully can cater to somewhat. I know I'll buy it, game looks fuckawesome.

JoshuaJSlone said:
There are increased sales with the larger userbase, but it's not like they're booming relative to the other (relevant) systems.

Top new PSP games since the Crisis Core/Slim explosion, through the week of 2008-07-14:

MHP2G: 2.34M
Crisis Core: 754K
*Phantasy Star will go here soon enough*
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee 2: 257K
Power Pro Portable 3: 225K
Gundam Battle Chronicle: 210K

Now for comparison, the top 5 new games for other platforms in the same time period.

DS
Mario Party DS: 1.73M
Pokémon MD Time/Darkness: 1.39M
Dragon Quest IV: 1.20M
Professor Layton and the Devil's Box: 819K
Jump Ultimate Stars: 789K

Wii
Wii Fit: 2.34M
SSBB: 1.67M
Mario Kart Wii: 1.58M
Super Mario Galaxy: 913K
M&S Olympic Games: 561K

PS3
MGS4: 614K
Dynasty Warriors 6: 356K
Devil May Cry 4: 305K
Winning Eleven 2008: 275K
Yakuza Kenzan: 267K

PS2
Winning Eleven 2008: 673K
Warriors Orochi Maou Sairin: 394K
SD Gundam G Generation Spirits: 344K
Super Robot Warsw OG Gaiden: 296K
DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3: 283K

X360
Lost Odyssey: 104K
Ace Combat 6: 94K
Halo 3: 84K
Idolmaster Live For You: 75K
Assassin's Creed: 49K

EDIT: Here's an SQL query that lists sales in descending order of all games released since Crisis Core.

Very interesting. As always JJ.

great Phantasy Star Portable numbers, SEGA is back ;)
but i'm surprised about the SCIV numbers - guess namco expected a little more.

duckroll said:
Sega isn't stopping with 217k day one sales of Phantasy Star Portable, they've announced that they're dedicated to shipping 400k in the first week. It's going to be a huge hit. PSP = Monster Hunter (and varients) Machine confirmed.

Definitely PSP has THE momentum in Japan now. If DS went down and PSP went up, is mostly Nintendo's fault to have suddendly stopped to make big, potential million-sellers games on DS. A dumb move IMHO.

At this point, I beleive that DQIX on DS AND PSP is a very realistic possibility.

Of course Nintendo is not that worried mostly because DS is still crushing the PSP in both Europe and NA by a pretty big margin. And the lead is unreachable. But I repeat it: Nintendo is not doing a good job to mantain its leadership in Japan.

Top Bottom