• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/21 - 7/27

cvxfreak

I don't think the 360 will break 1 Million units in Japan myself. It needs more than a GameCube-style strategy for sales to remain consistently high. I think 2008 will be the Japanese 360's highlight year, if it hasn't already happened, unless Microsoft introduces something fairly drastic to capture Japanese gamers' interest. I think Sony has a far better chance at that happening than MS does, though.

justchris

Phife Dawg said:
media create doesn't have it at 150k either though. It's probably some hick-up or missing data at Josh's site.

At least some of it is missing data. That starts in May 2002, and the Xbox released in Japan in February 2002.

cvxfreak

justchris said:
At least some of it is missing data. That starts in May 2002, and the Xbox released in Japan in February 2002.

That explains things. Launch made up nearly 30% of the sales of the original Xbox. :lol

AFreak

Banned
Ps3 needs a Slim version in Japan...stat. Man, 10k a week sucks so much for the best platform out right now(yeah, i mean it).

cvxfreak

AFreak said:
Ps3 needs a Slim version in Japan...stat. Man, 10k a week sucks so much for the best platform out right now(yeah, i mean it).

I think PS3 sales will rise considerably over the next year myself. It may not be reflected in average weekly sales right away, but I think it's inevitable for interest in the PS3 to build in Japan. It's outlook isn't nearly as static-looking as the 360's. (I think the DS is probably the best example of a static platform at the moment).

Biohazard 5 and FFXIII will be huge for the PS3, while their 360 versions will go relatively ignored.

Rolf NB

The MGS4 bump seems to have subsided now, and didn't really elevate the sales level.
So when all is said and done, will the PS3 finish 2008 in Japan with a YTD below 2007, extremely close or above 2007? I'm in the below boat. Price drops or slim revisions notwithstanding (neither seems particularly likely to me for now).

Vinci

Danish
Wario Land isn't price collapsed. I think Japanese retailers are buying into Nintendo's 'evergreen' concept and expecting it to rebound.

justchris

bcn-ron said:
The MGS4 bump seems to have subsided now, and didn't really elevate the sales level.
So when all is said and done, will the PS3 finish 2008 in Japan with a YTD below 2007, extremely close or above 2007? I'm in the below boat. Price drops or slim revisions notwithstanding (neither seems particularly likely to me for now).

Actually, I see it falling below 2007 over the summer and fall, but eking out a win for the bump at the end of the year. I also expect it to have a much higher holiday season for New Year's 2009 than it did for 2008. I think, in Japan, 2009 will turn out to be the year of the PS3 (getting handily beaten by the Wii notwithstanding).

Vinci said:
Wario Land isn't price collapsed. I think Japanese retailers are buying into Nintendo's 'evergreen' concept and expecting it to rebound.

Well, that's good at least.

cvxfreak said:
I think PS3 sales will rise considerably over the next year myself. It may not be reflected in average weekly sales right away, but I think it's inevitable for interest in the PS3 to build in Japan.
We've heard this since launch, but it's going the other way.

That said... I don't think building on 10k sales a week should be particularly difficult. For the moment however, HD gaming is dead in Japan.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wow, that's some big differences with Famitsu numbers.

Ps3>Ps2 not so much but the PSP numbers discrepancy is BIG. (Famistu had it a 81k iirc).

sankao

What would be interesting to see would be Xmas 09 season in Japan with FFXIII releasing on 360 along with a slim version thanks to the new Valhalla chips. It might go over 9k!

Spiegel

Dash Kappei said:
Wow, that's some big differences with Famitsu numbers.

Ps3>Ps2 not so much but the PSP numbers discrepancy is BIG. (Famistu had it a 81k iirc).

Those numbers were fake.

These are the real ones

PSP: 71.000
DSL: 61.000
Wii: 42.000
PS3: 12.000
PS2: 9.700
360: 4.900

Paracelsus

Psychotext said:
We've heard this since launch, but it's going the other way.

No. Actually, it's going the same way each year.

Shitty sales for most of the year, then a decent improvement during the October-December period.

Paracelsus said:
No. Actually, it's going the same way each year.

Shitty sales for most of the year, then a decent improvement during the October-December period.
Umm... that's how games console sales work. It's not just the PS3 - Everything gets a bump in the holiday months. The problem is that even the high points are too low (if you compare to what the Wii is selling and the PS2 sold).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Spiegel said:
Those numbers were fake.

These are the real ones

PSP: 71.000
DSL: 61.000
Wii: 42.000
PS3: 12.000
PS2: 9.700
360: 4.900

Oh.
Thanks!
(damn chans)

Paracelsus

Psychotext said:
Umm... that's how games console sales work. It's not just the PS3 - Everything gets a bump in the holiday months. The problem is that even the high points are too low (if you compare to what the Wii is selling and the PS2 sold).

There's no "coexist" in Japan, as concerning home console hardware sales. The dominating system sells, the other don't.

Wii is the new PS2. PS3 can only try to gather as many crumbs as it can.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Notorious_Roy said:
Good work! Is there such a thing for Final Fantasy? I can't find it :(

OqHzhMT.png

Edit: At some point I'm going to go back and verify all this data. At least some of these are partially rounded and while FFVII and FFVIII and several others both include rereleases, FFXII does not.

test_account

XP-39C²
cvxfreak said:
Biohazard 5 and FFXIII will be huge for the PS3, while their 360 versions will go relatively ignored.
I wonder how big the split will be between the PS3 and the Xbox 360 version. I think FFXIII is PS3 exclusive in Japan (if you ment in Japan that is :)) by the way, atleast that is whats been announced so far i think :)

EDIT: Oops, a typo, i ment the PS3 version of course hehe, not the PS2 version :)

Laguna

Banned
FFXII "International" version sold pretty bad compared to the other ones, so FFXII wouldn´t look much better either way.

Stumpokapow said:
OqHzhMT.png

Edit: At some point I'm going to go back and verify all this data. At least some of these are partially rounded and while FFVII and FFVIII and several others both include rereleases, FFXII does not.
Thanks! These charts rock! :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Laguna said:
FFXII "International" version sold pretty bad compared to the other ones, so FFXII wouldn´t look much better either way.

It's enough to move it a few cardinal order places in those rankings, though.

Paracelsus

test_account said:
I wonder how big the split will be between the PS2 and the Xbox 360 version. I think FFXIII is PS3 exclusive in Japan (if you ment in Japan that is :)) by the way, atleast that is whats been announced so far i think :)

Looking at how the other multiplatform games have performed so far in Japan, I think it will stay like that til the very end.

The split worldwide of RE5? Sort of 1:1, just like DMC4.

test_account

XP-39C²
Paracelsus said:
Looking at how the other multiplatform games have performed so far in Japan, I think it will stay like that til the very end.

The split worldwide of RE5? Sort of 1:1, just like DMC4.
Ye, i think so as well. I think it should be interesting to see how big the split is though :)

Ye, i think this too, that the split worldwide between RE5 will be something like Devil May Cry 4 was :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I know its not a huge deal compared to other releases this week, but I'm shocked at how well Biohazard 0 is doing.

jesusraz

The way biohazard 0's going, it could scrape its way to 100,000 eventually. I wonder if its success will make Capcom USA think twice about bringing it over...Seems like easy money, tapping into a large market of people that probably never even touched a GameCube and don't even know about the whole backwards compatibility function.

Thanks for those charts Rock Man, it's interesting to see that the 360 is still putting up a *decent* fight against the PS3 in Japan on the software side. Every month or so it beats it for a week or two, which is better than I previously thought.

Neo C.

The first day sales look promising, in contrast to those of last week.

Loudninja said:
Wow Fatal Frame and SC4 numbers seem low.
Don't know about SC4, but Fatal Frame isn't low when they can sell 60% of the shipment in first day.
Edit: Ah ok, it seems to be 80% of SC4 360 version. Not bad at all.

Stormbringer said:
Phantasy Star Portable - 217k (90% of shipment)
Rhythm Tengoku Gold - 150k (50%)
SC4 PS3 - 56k
SC4 360 - 35k (80%)
Fatal Frame Wii - 21k (60%)
Doki Doki 2 - 10k

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

Wow, that's a tiny shipment for Fatal Frame - around 35k total? - but good to see it chew through 60% on the first day.

Jonnyram

Pretty impressive sales all round.
Massive sales for PSP, surprised to see a reasonable split on SC4 between PS3 and 360.
Fatal Frame sold more than Siren, maybe will go further over the weekend.
And absolutely awesome sales for Rhythm Tengoku :D

test_account

XP-39C²
Stormbringer said:
Phantasy Star Portable - 217k (90% of shipment)
Rhythm Tengoku Gold - 150k (50%)
SC4 PS3 - 56k
SC4 360 - 35k (80%)
Fatal Frame Wii - 21k (60%)
Doki Doki 2 - 10k

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/
Thanks for the numbers! :)

Phantasy Star Portable sold about 90% of its shipment the first day? I wonder if there will be shortage of this game then (shortage until the next shipment comes out that is). How fast does the other shipment usually comes out, does anyone know?

Top Bottom