• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/30 - 8/5

taconinja

PhoenixDark said:
For some reason I don't think cheering for a sports team and cheering for a corporation are the same thing...
Sports teams often are corporations or are owned by corporations.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
PhoenixDark said:
For some reason I don't think cheering for a sports team and cheering for a corporation are the same thing...
They are. You get nothing out of their wins and losses except for the self-gratification that you will endear to remember for many an age whilst rubbing salt into the wounds of those who are against your team. Of course when the team isn't doing so good you tend to ignore their bad qualities for awhile, even if some "expert" was beating them around with a wooden spoon for several years.

Go back to pumping your Zelda music and scripting another LOTR picture fanfic for the NPD's.

selig

Banned
Lightning said:
That logic reeks of stupidity. You cannot compare the install bases of the PS2 to the PS3. The game was never going to sell like HSG4 sold on the PS2 because the PS3 userbase is no where near large enough for that. .

MP8 is like the best selling MP ever with half the installed hardware base than the GCN.

test_account

XP-39C²
titiklabingapat said:
Minna no Golf sales
Code:
Game Name:		Sys:	1st Week:	2nd Week:	3rd Week:	LTD:
Minna no Golf 1		PSX  	117.383  	72,430  	57,403  	1,777,895
Minna no Golf 2 	PSX 	273,260 	231,528 			951,931
Minna no Golf 3		PS2 	272,758 	105,189 	74,057 		921,906
Minna no Golf 4		PS2 	475,269 	162,671 	95,988 		1,083,079
Minna no Golf PSP	PSP 	66,079 		31,505 		33,404 		399,257
[b]Minna no Golf 5		PS3 	176,000[/b]

Not sure if this is all Famitsu or MC but judging from the first week sales, it's probably Famitsu.

Even if you use the higher MC numbers, MNG5 would still have the worst console 2nd week ever for the series.

MnG 1 came out about 3 years and MnG 2 about 5 years after PSX was launched.
MnG 3 came out about 1½ years and MnG 4 about 3 years after PS2 was launched.
MnG 5 came out about 8 months after PS3 was launched.

How big was the userbases when MnG 1-4 came out? Yes, its a fact that MnG 5 has the worse 2nd week compared to MnG 1-5, but are you spinning this into something negative or are you suprised that it sold lowest of the 5 games the 2nd week? Either way, MnG 1-4 had much bigger chance of selling more copies than MnG 5. MnG 1-4 got released much later into the consoles lifetime compared to MnG 5, PSX and PS2 were much more popular and the installbases were much bigger.

Afterall, MnG 5 has only been out for like 2 weeks. The LTD can still beat MnG 1-4 (one of them, not combined) for all we know. Just check out 1st week sales of MnG 1 and then the LTD.

speedpop said:
They are. You get nothing out of their wins and losses except for the self-gratification that you will endear to remember for many an age whilst rubbing salt into the wounds of those who are against your team. Of course when the team isn't doing so good you tend to ignore their bad qualities for awhile, even if some "expert" was beating them around with a wooden spoon for several years.

Alas, I highly doubt anyone will sit back as an old man telling their grandkids about how the Wii killed the PS3 in the 2007 season -_-

Go back to pumping your Zelda music and scripting another LOTR picture fanfic for the NPD's.

Ok

Verve

PhoenixDark said:

for me, it's even better.
sports have become more and more a business by time. i enjoyed the german soccer league a lot a long time ago... but now it's only "hey, i'll buy all the stars and win".

at least there's not that kind of betrayal in the videogame business. it always was business, it is business and it doesn't pretend to be anything else but business.
they don't have matches, they have strategies. it's a long term thinking sport with psychologic elements. more chess than soccer. and i think it's much more interesting.

XiaNaphryz said:
Since it seems I was right about this getting lost in the middle of the meltdown/pile-on mess, repeating my question again in hopes of getting a response. :)
Perhaps my response was missed by you in the mess. :)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7349131&postcount=286
PhoenixDark said:
Are any of you benefiting from Nintendo's financial success?
PhoenixDark said:
Right; I find the latter more valid. A sports team is generally made to appeal to people because they live relatively close to where the team is headquartered. In the case of something more general like gaming corporations, we pick sides based on their actions and policies. Were situations reversed, the industry would be headed full steam in a direction of expensive consoles, expensive games, and standard controls.
PhoenixDark said:
Alas, I highly doubt anyone will sit back as an old man telling their grandkids about how the Wii killed the PS3 in the 2007 season -_-
Heh. Some day when the DS is but a memory, I can say "I was there!" when it exploded completely beyond anything seen in the prior 30 years of gaming. It's like catching the record-breaking home run ball every week.

Out of interest, if anyone has the available data, what are the best selling PS3 games in Japan since launch (and figures too if that's possible?)

Or if someone can point me in the right direction where to find this data it'd be much appreciated.

Joe Molotov

PhoenixDark said:
MC threads always make me chuckle. In less than 24hrs this thread has grown to 7 pages, and will most likely grow to 14+ before the cycle is repeated next week. Yet what the fuck are we talking about? Surely no one could be denying the DS's utter domination, hardware and software wise? Alas someone IS denying it. While Lance is the laughingstock of this thread, make no mistake that the Sales Age-brigade is the laughingstock of GAF.

Are any of you benefiting from Nintendo's financial success? Surely the gamer in you (assuming there is one) isn't being fed by such gems as Face Training. So why the passion in arguing the world is fucking round? Jesus christ

If you're looking for something you can benefit from, then you really shouldn't be at GAF in the first place. Or playing videogames.

I own stock in Nintendo, so you can bet my ass Im cheering for them. Sony fucked up with DRM music cds and other bullshit activities. I hope their entire corporation goes under and each exec burns in hell.

sionyboy said:
Out of interest, if anyone has the available data, what are the best selling PS3 games in Japan since launch (and figures too if that's possible?)

Or if someone can point me in the right direction where to find this data it'd be much appreciated.
The PS3 data from Moor-Angol's Japan-GameCharts.com is good. It uses the data from Famitsu's Top 30 lists and any other occasional updates they give.

Jokeropia

sionyboy said:

Moor-Angol's site.

Edit: Bah. Too many tabs open. :p

PhoenixDark said:
Actually, they tickle people brain's identically. It ties in with self-identity and group identity theories from social/personality psychology, and I actually do research in this area. It may not seem the same to you simply because society has conditioned you to believe it's normal to see a 300lb man with his face and belly painted screaming like a pre-pubescent girl for a team of people (who wouldn't spit on him if he was fire) to win their match of a children's game, but I assure you, it's the same thing.

Of course, not all Sales-Age peeps are cheering for a particular system (though most are). Some folks just like fooling around with numbers as a hobby, which may seem weird... until you consider most of us like pushing buttons and staring at alternating lights in an amusing chain of behaviours and consequences as a hobby.

And if we are the laughing stock of GAF for that, so be it. I'm pretty sure I know who is laughing, and it really affects my life not-a-lick if they judge me to be silly. Live your life as you see fit, sir.

The winning console will get the most third party support, as a gamer that definately benefits me more then cheering on a sports team. Especially in this generation where getting all 3 consoles is not likely with such insane prices.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Actually, they tickle people brain's identically. It ties in with self-identity and group identity theories from social/personality psychology, and I actually do research in this area. It may not seem the same to you simply because society has conditioned you to believe a 300lb man with his face and belly painted screaming like a pre-pubescent girl for a team of people (who wouldn't spit on him if he was fire) to win their match of a children's game, but I assure you, it's the same thing.

Of course, not all Sales-Age peeps are cheering for a particular system (though most are). Some folks just like fooling around with numbers as a hobby, which may seem weird... until you consider most of us like pushing buttons and staring at alternating lights in an amusing chain of behaviours and consequences as a hobby.

And if we are the laughing stock of GAF for that, so be it. I'm pretty sure I know who is laughing, and it really affects my life not-a-lick if they judge me to be silly. Live your life as you see fit, sir.

IN-GROUP VS. OUT-GROUP!

voltronlions.jpg

OUT-GROUP HOMOGENEITY EFFECT!

voltrontransform.jpg

INTER-GROUP CONFLICT GOGOGOGOGOGOGOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Voltron_in_the_sun.jpg

Segata Sanshiro said:
Damn Dragona, you should teach social psych.

Haha, thanks. That's a big compliment coming from you.

Cheesemeister said:
But why the cheap, plastic versions? Die-cast metal Voltron for life.

Blame Google Imagesearch: I have a diecast sitting right here beside me, but alas, I have no digicam.

So looking at the ethelred DQ spinoff list again
Code:
Game Name:		Sys:	1st Week:	2nd Week:	3rd Week:	LTD:
DQ Monsters		GB	333,114  	117,937  	59,360  	1,911,107  
DQ Monsters Joker	NDS	633,084 	247,558 	47,689 		1,357,408 
DQ Monsters 2: Cobi	GB	501,081 	159,625 	116,802 	1,253,013
DQ Monsters 3		GBA	210,427 	107,719 	64,354 		593,812
DQ Monsters 2: Tara	GB	133,723 	34,882 		31,065 		480,582 
DQ Swords		Wii	302,066		66,720				368,790
DQ Slime Morimori	GBA	67,797 		33,451 		23,754 		346,299 
DQ: Young Yangus	PS2 	151,570 	58,648 		39,463 		301,755
DQ Monsters 1+2		PSX	132,479 	38,927 		22,847 		294,758 
DQH: Rocket Slime	NDS	43,995 		31,979 		31,509 		293,970
DQS is now the highest home console game on the list. I wonder if anyone knows how the SFC/PS1/PS2 Torneko games did, though?
sionyboy said:
Oh and I love the Famitsu/Media Create tracking site that I believe is yours. Excellent resource.
*thumbs up*

Link said:
Are there still DQ:S stock issues or did SE just blow their chance?

for what i saw in many shops (Yodobashi, Sofmap and Bic Camera located in Akihabara, Kawasaki and Yokohama) i can say there are no stock problems for DQ:S

Why does this "why do you care about sales" topic keep resurfacing? Especially with the sub-topic "how does this benefit you personally"?

It's entertainment. People cheer for the game show contestant who's been undefeated for 3 shows, they tune in to find out who shot JR or who fathered Anna Nicole's baby, buy books to see if Harry Potter lives or dies, root for the Avalanche/Cowboys/Lakers even when they don't live in the state (and none of the players are from the state), watch breathlessly to see if Titanic can out-gross Star Wars, cheer for rodeo stars or Nascar drivers or Olympic athletes, and so on.

And none of it benefits them personally beyond entertainment value. Which is fine. But videogame sales? Caring about that makes you pathetic.

Playing videogames used to make you a outcast geek. Now that they're socially acceptable, I guess the crowd that used to make fun of gamers now has to look down on the "geeks" who do more than just play. Bleh. Makes me think of this:

20010606h.gif

That's why *I* care about sales: because it makes me more hardcore. I'm a fucking outcast geek, that's why!

I care to follow sales, since it gave me confidence in purchasing a 360: good software sales in America will place it somewhere between XB1 and PS2 in terms of success.

Fredescu

PhoenixDark said:
While Lance is the laughingstock of this thread, make no mistake that the Sales Age-brigade is the laughingstock of GAF.
Alas, I highly doubt they are any more a laughing stock than those that go into sales threads only to say "sales sux man!"

DeadyFernGarden said:
sales are not important when your system is losing confirmed.
Nah, Phoenix is no fanboy. Not even a little. He's just one of the OT snobs that would like the bread and butter of these forums shot into space.

I initially cared about sales because it was a way to check and see how Nintendo and my favorite games were doing. As I've grown older and came here to GAF, I realized I care about sales becaue I'm oddly in love with numbers. I have a small story to share:

I go to work every day *part-time*, three days are four and a half hours. Two days are three and a half hours. After cleaning the restaurant and closing down, I usually clock out around 2:23/2:25PM, so I get my entire 4:30 shift.

One day my crew leader was rushing us to close early so they could leave early, so we closed at around 2:15 or so. I was standing at the clockout-clock waiting until 2:25, when my crew leader came and stood there and asked,

"What are you doing?"
I reply, "I'm waiting for the clock to say 2:25 so I get my entire 4:30 shift".
She responded with, "But..." but then said nothing else and just had a displeased look on her face.
I say, "Well I guess I can clock out now and I'd still get my 4:30 shift", so I clock out and go to approve my shift, and turns out I only got tracked for 4:15!!!

Needless to say I was a little angry, and with my obsession of numbers, I quickly calculated that making minimum wage ($7.50 an hour here), that I lost roughly $1.90 that day because of my rushing boss who doesn't care to lose $2.

So I shrugged it off, but was still a little angry.

The next week at work, there was nothing to do, so I got out a sheet of paper and calculated that if everyday I listened to my crew leader and RUSHED through cleaning/closing the store, I would lose 15 minutes off of my shift everyday. I work everyday, so I'm losing (15 min x 5 days) 75 minutes a week, one whole hour and 15 minutes worth of pay every week.

At $7.50 and losing 2 and a half hours every paycheck... each payday I'm losing $18.75!!!

Some inconsiderate forumers may mock, "Well Lance you must be pretty poor if that's going to bother you. It's just $20, get a better job".

For one, $20 is a lot to lose each paycheck no matter who you are. It's gas, it's food, it's personal necessities. But I calculated it some more that if I lost roughly $1.90 each day the entire year (that's $19 each paycheck).. 304 days (Taking off 61 days for two months that I don't work) means I've lost over 575 DOLLARS!! Just by losing $19 each paycheck, which is just $1.90 each day, which is just clocking out 7minutes too early (it counts 4:30 at 2:23PM) from work because my crew leader doesn't care about losing $2.

Well I care about losing $575 a year ma'am. Thank you very much. So I vowed never again to clsoe early, so I clean/close slower to get my entire 4:30 shift (or 3:30 shift wednesdays and fridays)

And that's just one example of what numebrs are to me... which is why I like sales me thinks

Evlar

Banned
cartman414 said:
No stock issues? That's peculiar, given that DQ:S is holding fairly steady atm.
Hardware-limited, perhaps? People want to buy it but can't find a Wii? This is precisely the same phenomenon that's been driving Wii Sports' rock-steady sales for the past eight months.

Deku

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Nah, Phoenix is no fanboy. Not even a little. He's just one of the OT snobs that would like the bread and butter of these forums shot into space.

Really? I thought his LOTR NPD narratives were quite imaginative and seem to hint at a celebraiton of sales-age or at least allowed for it to happen. I don't approve of his 'why do people cheer about sales of some faceless corp.' as it sounds a bit too much like the refrain of those who have complained in no uncertain terms how much they hate the new sales-age now that their preferred platforms isn't winning. And PD didn't quite fit into that mold. I'm sure this is all just a big joke to him though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LanceStern said:
Well I care about losing $575 a year ma'am. Thank you very much. So I vowed never again to clsoe early, so I clean/close slower to get my entire 4:30 shift (or 3:30 shift wednesdays and fridays)

And that's just one example of what numebrs are to me... which is why I like sales me thinks

At $7.50 an hour and 20 hours a week, you're obviously not paying rent with your job money. You mentioned it's a restaurant and you didn't mention your tips, so you're almost certainly either in a non-tip position (busboy) or working in a non-tip restaurant (fast food).

If you're in university, you could make substantially more at a substantially better job if you get a student marking or TA job. If you're not in university, you really should consider upping your hours a good deal (40 hours a week would be full time) if the money means that much to you; and if not, consider applying to be a waiter at a restaurant that gives tips if you are old enough.

KINGMOKU

Well, this thread has been interesting. We have had the normal sales related discussion(Oddly the fewest replies seem to actually be about the weeks sales) but with that, we have had three discussions about three different posters. Some more in depth then others(Lance) and the others just a few replies(Segata, PD)

MC threads have become a mish-mash of everything from Personalities, discussion of individual posters, and in depth conversations on why we all care, and even some stock tip advice.

Innotech

Banned
LanceStern said:
I initially cared about sales because it was a way to check and see how Nintendo and my favorite games were doing. As I've grown older and came here to GAF, I realized I care about sales becaue I'm oddly in love with numbers. I have a small story to share:

I go to work every day *part-time*, three days are four and a half hours. Two days are three and a half hours. After cleaning the restaurant and closing down, I usually clock out around 2:23/2:25PM, so I get my entire 4:30 shift.

One day my crew leader was rushing us to close early so they could leave early, so we closed at around 2:15 or so. I was standing at the clockout-clock waiting until 2:25, when my crew leader came and stood there and asked,

"What are you doing?"
I reply, "I'm waiting for the clock to say 2:25 so I get my entire 4:30 shift".
She responded with, "But..." but then said nothing else and just had a displeased look on her face.
I say, "Well I guess I can clock out now and I'd still get my 4:30 shift", so I clock out and go to approve my shift, and turns out I only got tracked for 4:15!!!

Needless to say I was a little angry, and with my obsession of numbers, I quickly calculated that making minimum wage ($7.50 an hour here), that I lost roughly $1.90 that day because of my rushing boss who doesn't care to lose $2.

So I shrugged it off, but was still a little angry.

The next week at work, there was nothing to do, so I got out a sheet of paper and calculated that if everyday I listened to my crew leader and RUSHED through cleaning/closing the store, I would lose 15 minutes off of my shift everyday. I work everyday, so I'm losing (15 min x 5 days) 75 minutes a week, one whole hour and 15 minutes worth of pay every week.

At $7.50 and losing 2 and a half hours every paycheck... each payday I'm losing $18.75!!!

Some inconsiderate forumers may mock, "Well Lance you must be pretty poor if that's going to bother you. It's just $20, get a better job".

For one, $20 is a lot to lose each paycheck no matter who you are. It's gas, it's food, it's personal necessities. But I calculated it some more that if I lost roughly $1.90 each day the entire year (that's $19 each paycheck).. 304 days (Taking off 61 days for two months that I don't work) means I've lost over 575 DOLLARS!! Just by losing $19 each paycheck, which is just $1.90 each day, which is just clocking out 7minutes too early (it counts 4:30 at 2:23PM) from work because my crew leader doesn't care about losing $2.

honestly, you need a higher paying job or something that occupies more of your time so you stop obsessing over goddamned numbers.

Top Bottom