• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/30 - 8/5

ksamedi

Lets be honest here, IAWW is not selling well because it doesnt have the slightest mass appeal and in fact looks boring to many people. Im not hyped about this game, and im a huge RPG fan.

LanceStern said:
Since it's a little calmer, I think I could explain the initial problem.

We were having fun, people were actually laughing WITH my posts. Until page 3 where I unintentionally psoted a sarcastic message that people did not take as sarcastic...

And then we had trouble. Why so early, people are wondering? Usually it's thursday or later on in the thread this happens.

If we point the blame at me, it's because I'm usually gone the typical time MC threads are posted every Wednesday (7:00PM - 9:00PM and as late as 11:00PM I'm gone). It was a weekly event I went to (rehearsal) so I didn't respond or try to have some fun until later on.

But the rehearsal has now been changed to every THURSDAY night, so tonight was my first time to post early in a MC thread. Like I said we had fun for 3 pages, catching up with previous week's discussions and having fun. Then one simple misleading message by me...

Needless to say I' apologize again
Stop fucking posting you god damn cunt.

ksamedi said:
Lets be honest here, IAWW is not selling well because it doesnt have the slightest mass appeal and in fact looks boring to many people. Im not hyped about this game, and im a huge RPG fan.

"Mass appeal" and "huge RPG fan" don't really go hand in hand, unless we're sticking solely to discussion of Pokemon and Final Fantasy.

That aside, may I ask what you find so boring about it? It's an RPG with a fresh new battle system, a story whose initial premise doesn't seem bog-standard, and based on the official thread, it's a great game overall.

Lobster

Banned
Can't Lancestern just be banned from MC threads? I can't even read anything about the sales anymore because of the arguing..

rakka

ksamedi said:

I keep asking if its actually a good game (before we can talk sales), and I never got an answer :p

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Mike Works said:
Stop fucking posting you god damn cunt.

Ok, I thought I zinged Lance pretty well 2 weeks ago after his whole "300k is not impressive, I was close with my predictions" meltdown, but that takes the cake, so awesome. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
My number one observation from reading this absolute abortion of a thread: It looks like we are all enjoying the new lack of profanity filter :lol :lol :lol

mclem

rakka said:
Nongame, minigames, same thing.
Yeah. Both are terms the elitists use to separate 'Games they feel are worthy' from 'Games they feel are not worthy', so they can feel all superior for not liking games that they don't feel are worthy.

Hammer24

Banned
mclem said:
Yeah. Both are terms the elitists use to separate 'Games on the platform of their choice' from 'Games not on the platform of their choice', so they can feel all superior for not liking games that they don't feel are worthy.

Fixed.

rakka said:
Any spoilers in there?

Also heard that the game is mostly dialogue.
I gave the thread a cursory glance, the general sentiment seems to be that the game is disliked by all but a few. On the other hand, its Nomura connection means that GAF most likely can't judge it fairly, so who knows.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Orlics said:
Can anyone summarize LanceStern as a poster? I don't go into Media Create threads that much.
Yeah sure.

DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN

tanod

when is my burrito
mclem said:
Yeah. Both are terms the elitists use to separate 'Games they feel are worthy' from 'Games they feel are not worthy', so they can feel all superior for not liking games that they don't feel are worthy.

I thought it was a GAF meme that anything that sells over a million in Japan achieves non-game status. I don't know how it started but I always thought it was pretty funny. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Orlics said:
Can anyone summarize LanceStern as a poster? I don't go into Media Create threads that much.

Like a cross between:
pikachu%20armed%20and%20dangerous.jpg

and

thinks%20he%20won.gif

with a tiny bit of:

ringo%20cant%20spell.png

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
On top of that, four games on the list (Bouncer, Ehrgeiz, Tobal, Bushido) aren't RPGs at all.
Tobal came with the FFVII demo actually, which is what it's pretty decent sales were mostly attributed too. And both Tobal and Ehrgiez have fairly invloved "RPG lite" dungeon crawling subgames included too (sort of precursors to DF's later Crimson Tears), so in some sense they could probably be considered part of the genre.

jarrod said:
Tobal came with the FFVII demo actually, which is what it's pretty decent sales were mostly attributed too. And both Tobal and Ehrgiez have fairly invloved "RPG lite" dungeon crawling subgames included too (sort of precursors to DF's later Crimson Tears), so in some sense they could probably be considered part of the genre.

That's like saying NSMB is a minigame collection, you know.

milanbaros

Member?
mclem said:
5M by Christmas?

I think so. The thing is, its not going to stop after christmas either. I hope its an indication of what SMG can do. SM64 sold 1.92m and SMS about 8-900k(?). I think SMG should sell 1.5-2m which would be a huge success.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
LanceStern said:
Needless to say I' apologize again

Why do you keep apologizing? titiklabingapat is easily one of the most annoying posters here, who cares what he says :lol
gotta stand up for yourself, mate. or just back off, heh

Stop It

Orlics said:

Um... His tag pretty much sums him up, especially the last bit, in fact, it could probably be edited to include each of the meltdowns he has had in the last 3 weeks.

Saitou

Banned
Lance just wants to be a part of the cool guys with all their cool sales analyses.
Problem is, he's pretty stupid, and makes up for it with pseudo-intellectualism and big words (see what I did there). I recall a few weeks back when he made a post adding some percentages that amounted to no real information at all.

He's probably just a 14 year old kid looking for some real friends. I suggest he stop looking here.

Stop It

Saitou said:
Lance just wants to be a part of the cool guys with all their cool sales analyses.
Problem is, he's pretty stupid, and makes up for it with pseudo-intellectualism and big words (see what I did there). I recall a few weeks back when he made a post adding some percentages that amounted to no real information at all.

He's probably just a 14 year old kid looking for some real friends. I suggest he stop looking here.

To be fair I don't think he is stupid, but he is merely trying to hard to be noticed (Ironically, it is working), he probably has a heart of gold, but is going about this place in totally the wrong way, I and many others here would respect him much more if he just stuck to making opinions, rather than trying to make grand statements ala Joshua and Panther.

Frillen

Should be interesting to see how much the PS3 sold according to m-create. Will they have it at less than Famitsu this week as well? Less than 15k?

John Harker said:
Why do you keep apologizing? titiklabingapat is easily one of the most annoying posters here, who cares what he says :lol
gotta stand up for yourself, mate. or just back off, heh
He's apologizing because he's gotten fairly good at noticing when there's a red dot from a laser scope on his forehead. Figuratively speaking, of course.

Stop It

Segata Sanshiro said:
He's apologizing because he's gotten fairly good at noticing when there's a red dot from a laser scope on his forehead. Figuratively speaking, of course.

Says you, from that grassy knoll.... :D

ksamedi

Pureauthor said:
"Mass appeal" and "huge RPG fan" don't really go hand in hand, unless we're sticking solely to discussion of Pokemon and Final Fantasy.

That aside, may I ask what you find so boring about it? It's an RPG with a fresh new battle system, a story whose initial premise doesn't seem bog-standard, and based on the official thread, it's a great game overall.

The setting and art direction look boring, im not saying that people wont enjoy it, sure they will, but as far as mass appeal goes this game doesnt have it. It looks a little too hardcore for that.

Evlar

Banned
The second week performance of Minna no Golf is encouraging. We may see a slightly protracted bump hardware-side thanks to this. I'm guessing near but slightly below 20k this week.

Hi! I'm posting from an alternate reality much like yours, but this poster you call "LanceStern" doesn't exist here.

Orlics said:

(neutral) LanceStern
Self-Hating Nintendo fan.
Really ****ing creepy too. Christ.

His trying to join the club, just going about it the wrong way.

JKBii

So has anybody played It's a Wonderful World? Is it a bad game or is it not selling for some other reason?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Since it seems I was right about this getting lost in the middle of the meltdown/pile-on mess, repeating my question again in hopes of getting a response. :)

XiaNaphryz said:
For comparison, how do MNG5's 2nd week numbers compare with the other top PS3 releases so far this year? If they're similar, what are the projections for weeks 3 and 4?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Stop It said:
To be fair I don't think he is stupid, but he is merely trying to hard to be noticed (Ironically, it is working), he probably has a heart of gold, but is going about this place in totally the wrong way, I and many others here would respect him much more if he just stuck to making opinions, rather than trying to make grand statements ala Joshua and Panther.

You know, sometimes I feel really, really bad for LanceStern. It's true that he's batshit fucking loco and makes the most terrible predictions and assumptions (like not being able to call Dragon Quest Swords a success despite it filling every one of his criteria AND he himself pointing out everything that makes it a smash hit before pulling out that particular comment)... but he's not actually a nasty guy from what I can see. He's apologetic and sometimes even humble in his postings, and I can think of far, far more annoying/stupid people who often resort to just insulting people who try to point out their errors *COUGHspwolf*

If anything you have got to commend him for putting up with persistantly high levels of abuse and namecalling thrown at him. Even with his track record there is often a point where it gets too much.

Innotech

Banned
SovanJedi said:
You know, sometimes I feel really, really bad for LanceStern. It's true that he's batshit fucking loco and makes the most terrible predictions and assumptions (like not being able to call Dragon Quest Swords a success despite it filling every one of his criteria AND he himself pointing out everything that makes it a smash hit before pulling out that particular comment)... but he's not actually a nasty guy from what I can see. He's apologetic and sometimes even humble in his postings, and I can think of far, far more annoying/stupid people who often resort to just insulting people who try to point out their errors *COUGHspwolf*

If anything you have got to commend him for putting up with persistantly high levels of abuse and namecalling thrown at him. Even with his track record there is often a point where it gets too much.
:lol

MC threads always make me chuckle. In less than 24hrs this thread has grown to 7 pages, and will most likely grow to 14+ before the cycle is repeated next week. Yet what the fuck are we talking about? Surely no one could be denying the DS's utter domination, hardware and software wise? Alas someone IS denying it. While Lance is the laughingstock of this thread, make no mistake that the Sales Age-brigade is the laughingstock of GAF.

Are any of you benefiting from Nintendo's financial success? Surely the gamer in you (assuming there is one) isn't being fed by such gems as Face Training. So why the passion in arguing the world is fucking round? Jesus christ

selig

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Are any of you benefiting from Nintendo's financial success?

Well, i guess as long as Nintendo has that financial success Nintendo will continue to produce Zelda, Mario and other new games. That´s why fans care, i guess.

Lightning

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
Minna no Golf sales
Code:
Game Name:		Sys:	1st Week:	2nd Week:	3rd Week:	LTD:
Minna no Golf 1		PSX  	117.383  	72,430  	57,403  	1,777,895
Minna no Golf 2 	PSX 	273,260 	231,528 			951,931
Minna no Golf 3		PS2 	272,758 	105,189 	74,057 		921,906
Minna no Golf 4		PS2 	475,269 	162,671 	95,988 		1,083,079
Minna no Golf PSP	PSP 	66,079 		31,505 		33,404 		399,257
[b]Minna no Golf 5		PS3 	176,000[/b]

Not sure if this is all Famitsu or MC but judging from the first week sales, it's probably Famitsu.

Even if you use the higher MC numbers, MNG5 would still have the worst console 2nd week ever for the series.
That logic reeks of stupidity. You cannot compare the install bases of the PS2 to the PS3. The game was never going to sell like HSG4 sold on the PS2 because the PS3 userbase is no where near large enough for that. I mean, HSG4 sold more copies then the PS3 has sold consoles....

This game is not going to urge every single Japanese person who bought the game previously to purchase a PS3 just to play this game....

For what the PS3 currently has to offer, and for the install base it has, the sales are extremely good.

taconinja

Lightning said:
That logic reeks of stupidity. You cannot compare the install bases of the PS2 to the PS3. The game was never going to sell like HSG4 sold on the PS2 because the PS3 userbase is no where near large enough for that. I mean, HSG4 sold more copies then the PS3 has sold consoles....

This game is not going to urge every single Japanese person who bought the game previously to purchase a PS3 just to play this game....

For what the PS3 currently has to offer, and for the install base it has, the sales are extremely good.
I think the point is that for a while MnG5 was going to absolutely hopefully create buzz and spark much higher console sales (compared to the sub-10K sales.) If sales are dropping this precipitously, then it's unlikely that MnG5 is boosting PS3 console sales in Japan to numbers that will create a more positive outlook for fans/game developers/etcetera.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
PhoenixDark said:
Are any of you benefiting from Nintendo's financial success?
There's actually a surprising number of investors with Nintendo stock around here. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. :(

PhoenixDark said:
MC threads always make me chuckle. In less than 24hrs this thread has grown to 7 pages, and will most likely grow to 14+ before the cycle is repeated next week. Yet what the fuck are we talking about? Surely no one could be denying the DS's utter domination, hardware and software wise? Alas someone IS denying it. While Lance is the laughingstock of this thread, make no mistake that the Sales Age-brigade is the laughingstock of GAF.

Are any of you benefiting from Nintendo's financial success? Surely the gamer in you (assuming there is one) isn't being fed by such gems as Face Training. So why the passion in arguing the world is fucking round? Jesus christ

Awhile back someone said it best that the Big 3 are essentialy football teams that we like to cheer for. A person wants to see their favorite team win. Do I benefit at all when the Cowboys do well aside from a personal satisfaction? No, so really, what's the problem with that?

C.T.

Lightning said:

For what the PS3 currently has to offer, and for the install base it has, the sales are extremely good

you nailed the problem. Shitty is shitty, no matter the context.

Shamrock7r said:
Awhile back someone said it best that the Big 3 are essentialy football teams that we like to cheer for. A person wants to see their favorite team win. Do I benefit at all when the Cowboys do well aside from a personal satisfaction? No, so really, what's the problem with that?

For some reason I don't think cheering for a sports team and cheering for a corporation are the same thing...

Top Bottom