• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 7/30 - 8/5

cvxfreak

Dragona Akehi said:
You guys wanted to keep him.

oprah3smaw.jpg

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mgoblue201 said:
Only if Nintendo cares that much about Japan. Any sales that PH gains over TP in Japan probably won't offset how much TP out sells PH throughout the rest of the world.

That was my original argument, but then you'd also have to factor in opportunity cost. PH may have won the war in Japan, but I doubt it would overtake TP WW. Still, one could assume from Nintendo's point of view that instead of having 100 people work on Zelda for 4 years, they could get 50 people to work on it, and spread out the others to do different projects.

Innotech

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
Well, another one so soon(in 4 years) will make the franchise stale. I expect another one in 10 year or so.
does the crack taste good?

I expect one within the Wii's lifetime, possibly in the 4 years or so, maybe even less.
TP was signed off before holidays last year. Another zelda should be at least well into planning stages by now.

Innotech said:
does the crack taste good?

I expect one within the Wii's lifetime, possibly in the 4 years or so, maybe even less.
TP was signed off before holidays last year. Another zelda should be at least well into planning stages by now.
No, I meant an epic style, TP mold Zelda will not be seen in the next 4 years.

ethelred

selig said:
Unexpected high sales for It´s a wonderful world. Thought it would do around 50k, being a brand new ip.

mutsu said:
I still don't quite understand how 110K in sales in its 2nd week can be considered a bomb. Fair enough their estimate is 200K but come on, this is a brand new franchise.

Yeah. Brand new IP.

Here's the list of prior brand new IPs from Square or Enix and how they've performed in their first week.

Code:
Xenogears		513,525
Parasite Eve		422,985
Kingdom Hearts		411,492
Valkyrie Profile	408,912
Tobal No. 1		398,804
Brave Fencer Musashi  	393,083
The Bouncer		219,858
Radiata Stories		190,473
Bushido Blade		173,488
Ehrgeiz			166,759 
Vagrant Story		159,842
Drakengard		131,629

Now in its second week, It's a Wonderful World has yet to hit the first week sales of any of these -- despite retailers slashing its price to clear out their copies and get rid of it once and for all.

Smashing success.

Tideas

Banned
Taurus said:
I guess you mean week instead of weak but anyway. No, not going to happen. And what is actually the "first" 35k+ week if you are waiting for "another"?

Last week PS3 did 28k.

Oops, I thought I saw 36k last week. But yeah, I meant week.

Tideas

Banned
ethelred said:
Yeah. Brand new IP.

Here's the list of prior brand new IPs from Square or Enix and how they've performed in their first week.

Code:
Xenogears		513,525
Parasite Eve		422,985
Kingdom Hearts		411,492
Valkyrie Profile	408,912
Brave Fencer Musashi  	393,083
The Bouncer		219,858
Radiata Stories		190,473
Bushido Blade		173,488
Ehrgeiz			166,759 
Vagrant Story		159,842
Drakengard		131,629

Now in its second week, It's a Wonderful World has yet to hit the first week sales of any of these.

Smashing success.

Xenogears sold 500k first week? Damn that's good. I'm suprised Square didn't make a sequel out of that, haha

Dragona Akehi said:
Then you better do a better job of feeding, walking and cleaning up after him.
I did. Lance PMed me saying how sorry he was and he'd stop posting in the thread immediately after I posted my dissatisfaction.

He's being very obedient, bless him.:D

thefro

Despite TP's disappointing sales in Japan, it's already the best-selling Zelda game worldwide since OOT (and has already sold more copies with Wii + GC combined than A Link to The Past did on SNES). It's got a good shot at passing the original NES game in sales eventually.

The next console Zelda will definitely be different, but I think it's still going to be an epic game.

rakka

ethelred said:
Yeah. Brand new IP.

Now in its second week, It's a Wonderful World has yet to hit the first week sales of any of these -- despite retailers slashing its price to clear out their copies and get rid of it once and for all.

Smashing success.
Is IAWW a good game though?

Serious question, I don't know much about it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
Uh-huh. I doubt that. It's the second-best selling Wii game right now, and combined with the GC release, it's sold well over 4m copies in a very short span of time.

5 million, actually. But look,

Sometimes his sense of what gamers want to play isn't 100% accurate, as the disappointing sales of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess in Japan show. Miyamoto believes the audience for an epic, hardcore adventure game is shrinking, which could mean we can expect more casual games from Nintendo. The designer says Twilight Princess is selling "okay" in the U.S."

http://wii.ign.com/articles/786/786082p1.html

Does that seem like a guy who's happy?!

But seriously, I want another huge Zelda just as much as anyone. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

thefro said:
Despite TP's disappointing sales in Japan, it's already the best-selling Zelda game worldwide since OOT (and has already sold more copies with Wii + GC combined than A Link to The Past did on SNES). It's got a good shot at passing the original NES game in sales eventually.

The next console Zelda will definitely be different, but I think it's still going to be an epic game.
Indeed. Nintendo might prioritize Japan but I doubt they're ignoring that the bulk of TP sales were done in the West. Like I said, if anything, a TP style Zelda won't be seen on consoles for a long while just to keep the franchise from getting stale.

Oblivion said:
5 million, actually. But look,

http://wii.ign.com/articles/786/786082p1.html

Does that seem like a guy who's happy?!

But seriously, I want another huge Zelda just as much as anyone. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Ah, but Nintendo also hopes that those casual gamer will play more core games like what happened with the DS as time went on. In ten year's time, they'd probably be singing a different tune again.

LanceStern said:
They are buying these things and killing the industry from within.. but they don't care about supporting the industry, they just care about having fun, which is what the non-traditional games provide, while at the same time destroying our world.

Going to have to wave the white flag here as well.

I'll leave you with this though: if you're weighing the global economic impact of your purchases, while other people are just buying titles to have fun, it's pretty obvious who the real gamers are.

I think that's my biggest problem with how people use the whole "non-gamer" thing. There are so many factors that have nothing to do with the actual product that people here flaunt as reasons for not buying a game, it's ridiculous.

Some people here don't realize how far they've moved away from actually just gaming.

Jiggy

LanceStern said:
Once again I apologize, apologize apologize (both publically and privately) to titikabling and you GreatDave.

I didn't mean for that to sound so serious, that's a JOKE argument guys, I don't believe that. I'm sorry again for that if it upset you guys, I had it riddiled with sarcastic excalmation marks and jpegs, but I edited it to make it sound serious.

If I had known people would take it like that, call for my banning AND blaspheme God's name, I wouldn't have done it.

I'm sorry, sorry again, I apologize. I won't post anymore. Still learning this thin line of "entertainment" and "annoyance".
Basically, unless you're AniHawk or ethelred (and maybe not even ethelred), keep the exclamation marks and jpegs. I've actually liked your posts a lot more lately--after only two bans, you've gone from being as wrong as Tabris 100% of the time to being as wrong as Tabris ~75% of the time. Progress!

But because of that history you've got, a lot of people aren't going to notice when you're taking a joke and running with it. Half the time PhoenixDark's Monorojo imitations last year didn't even work and there were no negative expectations surrounding him. Remember Pureauthor's NeoGAF for Dummies; it does have implications beyond some kind of tongue-in-cheek commentary, at least in my mind. If you have a negative tag, which I think it's safe to say you do, any "dumb" post you make is going to be interpreted as serious by a fairly large number of people unless you explicitly say otherwise or make it fairly obvious in some other way.

JDSN

Banned
I should have stopped at page one, I saw Lance's first post and I kept reading through the rest of this bullshit thread wishing to find a "Im kidding lol". They even managed to break Segata's spirit. :(

LanceStern said:
If you look at the last MC thread, we got into a little tussle; The numbers we argued over [Famistu] pitted Minna at 43k and IAWW at 40k for the week. And MP8 at 150k. The discussion occured because I believed second week sales for Minna no Golf was good as well as good for IAWW.

Now we come into MC and see how MP8 has lower second week sales than expected, and Hot Shots Golf much higher, and IAWW lowwer.

It's a very interesting turn of events. And I'd like to see what people have to sayabout the success and legs of MP8, Minna no Golf and IAWW now that we have different numbers.
MC and Famitsu differ on MnG's week 1 and 2, but their total is similar, so not much is different. 150/60 versus 170/40 or something. Some sales ended up counted as late the previous week on Famitsu versus early this week on MC.
cvxfreak said:
Nintendo never made an SMBUSA sequel. :(
I wonder, is that their most successful game that didn't get a proper sequel? Though it has left little pieces of itself in other games.
LanceStern said:
I say again, WHERE WERE ALL OF YOU LAST WEEK IN THE MC THREAD? All this time i get jumped, and there's silent forumers nodding their head in agreement but not speaking up... madness I tell you!
Well, I imagine the crowd who just wants to see the numbers when they're new isn't quite the same as the crowd that's still hanging out in the sales thread six days later.
Tideas said:
Oops, I thought I saw 36k last week.
Another Famitsu/Media Create disparity.

KINGMOKU

JDSN said:
I should have stopped at page one, I saw Lance's first post and I kept reading through the rest of this bullshit thread wishing to find a "Im kidding lol". They even managed to break Segata's spirit. :(
I think Segata is a little burnt out to be honest with you.

He's done a lot of uncharactaristic things lately.

My POV anyway.

JoshuaJSlone said:
MC and Famitsu differ on MnG's week 1 and 2, but their total is similar, so not much is different. 150/60 versus 170/40 or something. Some sales ended up counted as late the previous week on Famitsu versus early this week on MC.
This is a very good explanation, thanks Joshua. It would be really interesting if anyone can post about MC's and Enterbrain's methodology.

PantherLotus said:
This thread confirms one thing for me: the time between software numbers and hardware numbers is way, way too long.

Since it's a little calmer, I think I could explain the initial problem.

We were having fun, people were actually laughing WITH my posts. Until page 3 where I unintentionally psoted a sarcastic message that people did not take as sarcastic...

And then we had trouble. Why so early, people are wondering? Usually it's thursday or later on in the thread this happens.

If we point the blame at me, it's because I'm usually gone the typical time MC threads are posted every Wednesday (7:00PM - 9:00PM and as late as 11:00PM I'm gone). It was a weekly event I went to (rehearsal) so I didn't respond or try to have some fun until later on.

But the rehearsal has now been changed to every THURSDAY night, so tonight was my first time to post early in a MC thread. Like I said we had fun for 3 pages, catching up with previous week's discussions and having fun. Then one simple misleading message by me...

Needless to say I' apologize again

I'm not sure if this has been gone over before, but:

1. Twilight Princess was the launch title for the Wii and managed to pull in sales somewhere between 400-500 thousand. This is viewed as dissapointing and a sign that Nintendo will never make an epic game again.

2. Minna no Golf 5 has managed to make just over 200k in two weeks on a console that's been out for 8 months and has a user base of 1 million. This is viewed as an astronomical success and a sign that the PS3 is alive and well in Japan. A milestone, landmark etc.

I don't get it...

My spirit isn't broken, but when I have to repeat simple explanations more than three times, I will tend to just walk away. I'm hopeful enough to believe a dog can play the piano, but I'm not stupid enough to stand there all day trying if he doesn't pick it up in the first few hours.

I haven't been posting as much because my job's been very busy lately. The dog days of summer take their toll on people's mental health, and the buck unfortunately stops here for that.

PantherLotus said:
This thread confirms one thing for me: the time between software numbers and hardware numbers is way, way too long.

We could all just agree to ignore the top 30 on Wednesday nights and just do the thread on Thursday nights with the top 50 and hardware...

Ah, who am I kidding.

Great Rumbler said:

1. Twilight Princess was the launch title for the Wii and managed to pull in sales somewhere between 400-500 thousand. This is viewed as dissapointing and a sign that Nintendo will never make an epic game again.

2. Minna no Golf 5 has managed to make just over 200k in two weeks on a console that's been out for 8 months and has a user base of 1 million. This is viewed as an astronomical success and a sign that the PS3 is alive and well in Japan. A milestone, landmark etc.

I don't get it...

1. Nintendo fans are used to their games selling millions of copies.

2. Sony fans are lucky to see a PS3 game in the top 30 for more than a week.

That's just my ignorant outlook however.

Great Rumbler said:

I don't get it...

For Point #2, it was actually argued in last week's MC thread whether or not it was a success or not. I said it was good and a few others, and others said it was not. One factor was the famitsu thread had Hot Shots at 43,000 for this week, not 64k like Media Create.

Since 64k is a big improvement over 43k, there are more people saying it has great legs.

Lightning

Banned
justjohn said:
shocking golf numbers
Why are the golf numbers shocking? The game has sold to more then 20% of the PS3 owners in Japan. I think expecting it to sell move an exceptional amount of consoles or to have an attach ratio of 50%+ is totally unrealistic.

We all know the PS3 is struggling in Japan, but Hot Shots Golf 5 numbers are far from shocking in my opinion and I am sure Sony agrees.

LanceStern said:
For Point #2, it was actually argued in last week's MC thread whether or not it was a success or not. I said it was good and a few others, and others said it was not. One factor was the famitsu thread had Hot Shots at 43,000 for this week, not 64k like Media Create.

Since 64k is a big improvement over 43k, there are more people saying it has great legs.

The actual total sales are essentially the same though. 220k vs. 216k. The only difference is that Famitsu had a higher first week and MC had a higher second week. I'm not exactly sure what you can make out of that.

Lightning said:
Why are the golf numbers shocking? The game has sold to more then 20% of the PS3 owners in Japan. I think expecting it to sell move an exceptional amount of consoles or to have an attach ratio of 50%+ is totally unrealistic.

We all know the PS3 is struggling in Japan, but Hot Shots Golf 5 numbers are far from shocking in my opinion and I am sure Sony agrees.
john just may have meant shockingly good.

bc226

LanceStern said:
Well one, like my disclaimer said, I dont fully support the whole argument, but it's grounded with a good example.

That's just the thing. Nintendo has convinced them that they are games. The casuals and lapsed gamers don't know any better: They are buying these things and killing the industry from within.. but they don't care about supporting the industry, they just care about having fun, which is what the non-traditional games provide, while at the same time destroying our world.

While we, the true gamers, the informed gamers, the ones that supported third-parties and indies, and lesser-name developers and sleeper hits, starve. Us, the true gamers, who sit and argue over sales numbers and which company is better and which game uses more high-technology and self-shadowing more efficiently. Us true gamers who talk negatively about the games more than we play them, suffer.

It's like Tales of Symphonia and the two kingdoms. As one basks in the Tree of Mana, the other is sapped into a withering, dilapidated, disgusting creature, starving for just a drip of succulent juices from the fruit of the tree of life.

Darn those non-gamers

Guess what im a gamer have been for 30 years from the Sears Telestar all the way up to the Wii i play minigames,RPGs,FPS,Sports hell i pretty much play anything that good and fun so how do i fit in your fantasy world and for the record i asked if tehre was a wayto permaban you has to me it lo0oks like all you want to do is stir up trouble

Apparently 200k is now a success for Lance.
WOW! (sorry Lance, had to do it)
You know it's coming.
I try. and fail most of the time
I was eating popcorn
yes. just had to stop by to support this idea

That's just a few of the quotes that supported a socialable, friendly atmosphere (as friendly as MC forumers get). Poking fun, making funny jpegs and gifs, talking about sales etc.

Perhaps not laughing WITH the posts literally, but they were having fun and enjoying the thread. No big argument or such, just calm discussions, rooting for titles we like and whatnot and making little tongue-in-cheek jokes.

It was a good thread. Very pleasant environment

bc226 said:
Guess what im a gamer have been for 30 years from the Sears Telestar all the way up to the Wii i play minigames,RPGs,FPS,Sports hell i pretty much play anything that good and fun so how do i fit in your fantasy world and for the record i asked if tehre was a wayto permaban you has to me it lo0oks like all you want to do is stir up trouble

Don't know if you're new, or just didn't fish through all the pages.

I was joking in that message and it was meant to be sarcastic. notice how I call
"true gamers" those that sit in chairs and argue, complain and talk about games more than we play them.

It was a joke, and I already apologized 3-4 times, publically, and privately to members I upset. I apologize to you too if the things I've said in the past have upset you.

bc226

I bet if asked that exact same question now and not back in may he may change his mind.

This wasin sepnse to OIblivions post about the May interview over on IGN for some reason it did let me reply to his lik.

LanceStern said:

Well, the drop is still 60% over MP8's 50%. The shit isn't as smelly but it's still shit. Besides, the drop off on Famitsu was huge, but relatively weaker on MC, who's starting numbers weren't as good as MC's to begin with.

I tried searching for the numbers of MNG but no luck(I gave up) so if anyone can post them again, it would be cool!

Top Bottom