• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 8/27 - 9/2 2007

Izzy

Banned
AniHawk said:
Wow. That would've meant the thing would have to sell around 250k a week or so since the beginning of August (through the end of October). What a stupid prediction.

I could find the exact quote but it would embarrass the poster - and those who agreed with him.

Anyway, are we sure this isn't the case of WII shortages? I know it's been readily available on amazon.co.jp, but still...

AniHawk

Izzy said:
Anyway, are we sure this isn't the case of WII shortages. I know it's been readily available on amazon.co.jp, but still...

These "Japanese reports" have been pretty much on the dot ever since the whole PSP vs. DS stuff.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I'm going with the thought that until the "holiday season" or big games hit, that the Wii is done selling out in Japan. Not that it's bad by any means at 40k a well, you know. But then again, I suppose NeoGAF is spoiled by 80k a week Wii sales and 150k a week DS sales. :)

Izzy said:
I could fint the exact quote but it would embarrass the poster - and those who agreed with him.

Anyway, are we sure this isn't the case of WII shortages. I know it's been readily available on amazon.co.jp, but still...

I hear stores in japan are starting to build pyramids with all the wiis.

Brofist

MasterMFauli said:
Joke post, right?

Of course, Wii could be found this week in Japan, because last week it was undershipped due to moved units to the US. Now it´s back to normal. Wait for next week.

Wah, it sure didnt sdf take long to get active.

I've been seeing them for the last few weeks, but I live in a small rural town called Osaka, so maybe it's just here that it's easier to find.

AniHawk said:
Especially with games like Heavenly Sword and Uncharted.

Jesus, now I know I shouldn't say anything AT ALL in these threads. You guys take things too seriously.

It's obvious Heavenly Sword and Uncharted are not going to do anything in Japan so I don't think demand is going to increase for PS3 all that much, if at all, but maybe Dynasty Warriors can sell a PS3 to a few guys, no?

Xisiqomelir

Hcoregamer00 said:
It matters quite a bit, if they really are diverting to the USA for Metroid Prime 3, then that explains the drop in sales.

Which also means I have to be careful with my NPD predictions.

Total OT: As a non-Cube owner last gen, I tried out Prime 1 for the first time the other day. Let's just say I'm of AniHawk's opinion regarding 3D "Metriod".

spwolf

Hcoregamer00 said:
It matters quite a bit, if they really are diverting to the USA for Metroid Prime 3, then that explains the drop in sales. If there are plentiful supply, that means that there is a drop in demand.

Simple really.

i was being a bit sarcastic... it is in stock at amazon.co.jp and we had reports of it in stock in the stores.. its in stock, it sales dropped.

i am sure they are sending more units to the usa, but that doesnt mean it is not in stock, it seems it is only hard to find in the usa, while you can find it in europe and japan...

donny2112

Dragona Akehi said:
uhoh.gif

:lol

Feast or Famine.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Izzy said:
I could fint the exact quote but it would embarrass the poster - and those who agreed with him.

Not entire sure. Reports are that they're now available off and on, but it seems like a very drastic drop to say its entirely demand.

Xisiqomelir said:
Which also means I have to be careful with my NPD predictions.

Total OT: As a non-Cube owner last gen, I tried out Prime 1 for the first time the other day. Let's just say I'm of AniHawk's opinion regarding 3D Metriod.

It's not so much an opinion as it is more a lack of the understanding of greatness.

alejob

Ohnoes! I know why this is happening to the Wii. It needs something to get back on track, something like
a good game.

Can't sell hardware without software.

Flakster99

Going as far back as late 2003, you can see the PS2's hardware numbers fluctuated all over the place throughout the year and onward.

Of course, this is a few years into the PS2' reign, they are what they are. Concerning Wii hardware, I was expecting a drop off somewhere down the line, before the holidays, guess this is said period.

schuelma said:
My impressions from the on the ground reports were that they had been available for a few weeks. Guess we'll see. I have to believe you're somewhat correct. That's really an inexplicable drop.

NPD charts cover a whole month, and Wii-sales have been low last week, as well.
It totally fits the "shipped to US".
Next week is the real deal.
And hey, even if it´s slowing down a bit...let´s see how these Japanese can resist Mario, Smash and Animal Crossing Wii ;)

alejob said:
Ohnoes! I know why this is happening to the Wii. It needs something to get back on track, something like
a good game.

Can't sell hardware without software.

It has quite a few of those already and it shall get more.

AniHawk said:
You guys ruined this thing. "Fucked" needs to be near the top or else you don't notice that the bar's going off graph.

Clearly, it simply accentuates the abhorrent failure Nintendo has become.

botticus

donny2112 said:
Vinnk's report noted that there were actual Wiis available to buy last week in his town.
I seem to recall the occasional Wii available the last few weeks in his reports, leading to my parenthetical reference. I'm too lazy to actually backcheck though.

I lied, laziness gone. From his 8/30 post:

1. Wii is very interesting. During the last 2 weeks I checked on it at every store I visited. Sometimes there would be several in a store and sometimes there would be zero. This is very different from how it has been for the last few months where it was a rare occurrence to see a Wii in a store at all and if you did, there were only one or 2 at most.
Even as far back as the beginning of August, they were starting to become available. But I guess all that shows is that if a similar amount were available with smaller shipments, they were selling less.

AniHawk

Logan Cano said:
Jesus, now I know I shouldn't say anything AT ALL in these threads. You guys take things too seriously.

It's obvious Heavenly Sword and Uncharted are not going to do anything in Japan so I don't think demand is going to increase for PS3 all that much, if at all, but maybe Dynasty Warriors can sell a PS3 to a few guys, no?

No.

Especially with games like Heavenly Sword and Uncharted.

CTLance

Segata Sanshiro said:
See, *now* we need spwolf in here.
4ptuk1t.jpg

Disclaimer: Sorry for quality, this is the second time I've ever used Gimp. I have no previous background in image editing save some cropping in Irfanview. I promise I'll look into some faqs in time for the next big sales thread.
Somebody else do this. It's 5 am where I live and my picture manipulation program hates my guts. I hope the idea behind the pic is understandable though, I wanted to make something akin to the "paging JoshuaJSlone" banana gif.

Uhm... move on, nothing to see here. :D

schuelma

Flakster99 said:
Going as far back as late 2003, you can see the PS2's hardware numbers fluctuated all over the place throughout the year and onward.

Of course, this is a few years into the PS2' reign, they are what they are. Concerning Wii hardware, I was expecting a drop off somewhere down the line, before the holidays, guess this is said period.

Thanks for the link. Pretty enlightening and there were certainly a lot of fluctuations with PS2 sales.

schuelma

Aristotlekh said:
Hey, does the PS3 have any big games that'll boost sales other than Heavenly Sword? I can't think of any.

Killzone 2 in 08!!

Arde5643

Flakster99 said:

Were the fluctuations caused by games, shortages, or price cuts?

Very interesting find. Thanks, Flakster.

donny2112

IGN Gaming Life in Japan says that the Famitsu befpre August 30 has historical SD Gundam G sales, if anyone is interested.

8/6/1998: SD Gundam G Generation (PSX, 673,766)
8/12/1999: SD Gundam G Generation Zero (PSX, 500,072)
8/3/2000: SD Gundam G Generation F (PSX, 353,049)
5/2/2001: SD Gundam G Generation FF (PSX, 107,513)
11/28/2002: SD Gundam G Generation Neo (PS2, 537,229)
2/19/2004: SD Gundam G Generation Seed (PS2, 406,618)

Izzy

Banned
Funny how everyone's concentrating on WII, when PSP sold only 22k. Is it finally starting to die down?

Flakster99

Arde5643 said:
Were the fluctuations caused by games, shortages, or price cuts?

Very interesting find. Thanks, Flakster.

I am by no means a market analyst, but I would say all the above. The site is a gem though, has a lot of world wide data to rummage through.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
kpop100 said:
I've been seeing them for the last few weeks, but I live in a small rural town called Osaka, so maybe it's just here that it's easier to find.
What are people's sentiments on Wii?

iceatcs

Izzy said:
Funny how everyone's concentrating on WII, when PSP sold only 22k. Is it finally starting to die down?

Maybe many are waiting for PSP-2000

P.S. lol 3 quoted :S

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Aristoklek said:
Hey, does the PS3 have any big games that'll boost sales other than Heavenly Sword? I can't think of any.
In Japan? I'd expect GT and Ratchet to do MUCH more for sales then HS.
I could be totally wrong, but I never had the impression HS had much sales potential in Japan - before reviews I would have even given Lair a better chance.

Top Bottom