• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 8/27 - 9/2 2007

there's really not going to be a prolonged slump when you consiter that the holiday release schedule is what, a month away really? Wii sports needs Mario and Smash and WiiFit to take over, then it'll be another strong year for 2008.

Wii comparisons: At week 40, Wii is where GCN was at 170.2 weeks (December 13, 2004), where GBA was at 35.5 weeks (November 21, 2001), where DS was at 48.6 weeks (November 3, 2005), where PS2 was at 53.4 weeks (March 6, 2001), and where PSP was at 78.1 weeks (June 4, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: At 43 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 4.9 weeks (April 1, 2000), where PSP was at 16.4 weeks (March 29, 2005), where GCN was at 18.8 weeks (January 18, 2002), and where Wii was at 6.1 weeks (January 7, 2007).

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 81.0 / 19.0, bringing total shares to 76.5 / 23.5. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 598.9 weeks (February 24, 2019); another new record for that stat.

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 31.5 / 68.5; PS3's best week relative to Wii since the week of March 5. Total shares now 24.2 / 75.8; PS3's recent good weeks gaining it a bit, so things have moved back to approximately where they were the week of July 9. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 132.3 weeks (March 17, 2010).

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates, Wii catches up to PSP in 139.3 weeks (May 4, 2010).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, DS catches up to PS2 in 18.8 weeks (January 11, 2008) at ~20.97 million apiece.

Not just a low week for Wii. This is DS's lowest since the week of March 26, and PSP's lowest since the week of November 13 last year.

It's also funny to note that week 40 was PS2's lowest week ever (so far): 3,306 according to Famitsu.

If Wii is this low for the next quarter or so, it will narrowly miss passing up GCN's LTD within one year.

MS passes 140K YTD at week 35. Last year it took until week 49.
citrus lump said:
pretty soon the psp is gonna outsell the wii.
Actually, it's almost creepy how Wii and PSP behaved so similarly from last week to this.

Wii: -14.93%
PSP: -14.92%
Logan Cano said:
I'm honestly very surprised at these numbers. I thought the wii was going to absolutely take over the home console market like the DS did with the portable one, but it actually seems kind of feasible for PS3 to start selling on par in a few weeks if it gets the right software.
Wii is at a much stronger position than DS was at the same time. After 40 weeks, Wii has been below 40K once; DS had been under 40K eighteen times. Even with this particularly weak Wii week, Wii had 68.5% of the PS3/Wii market. During its first 40 weeks, DS only did better than that against PSP eight times.
indie85 said:
Here, I brought some for everyone.
Popcorn imagery has gotten old, but man I love that one.
VOOK said:
http://i2.tinypic.com/4z0yjp3.jpg
Gold! :)
Izzy said:
I could find the exact quote but it would embarrass the poster - and those who agreed with him.
Are you sure you're not thinking of an October 2008 prediction? My PSP vs Wii calculation spits out such a date using the numbers from two weeks ago. Of course, I've been known to make a typo in my time so maybe I said 2007.

Izzy

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Are you sure you're not thinking of an October 2008 prediction? My PSP vs Wii calculation spits out such a date using the numbers from two weeks ago. Of course, I've been known to make a typo in my time so maybe I said 2007.

No, it wasn't you. It was someone ridiculosly ludicrous. But he did refer to your post, in a 'oh no, you haven't got a clue, it's going to happen much faster' kind of way.

ghstwrld

Tiktaalik said:
Since Vinnk frequently reports that DSes are not hard to come by in Japan, I think it's safe to assume that the DS has finally somewhat plateaued (for the time being). I think this will be a short term phenomenon however, because we have not only Dragon Quest 9 on the horizon, but also DQ4,5 and 6. If the marketing guys at Nintendo have any power at all, there is probably a NSMB2 on the horizon as well. All of these would make DS sales leap again. That is, until everyone has one.

Drawing conlusions about Japan from anecdotal evidence seems kind of foolish.

apujanata

JoshuaJSlone said:
If Wii is this low for the next quarter or so, it will narrowly miss passing up GCN's LTD within one year.

Wii is at a much stronger position than DS was at the same time. After 40 weeks, Wii has been below 40K once; DS had been under 40K eighteen times. Even with this particularly weak Wii week, Wii had 68.5% of the PS3/Wii market. During its first 40 weeks, DS only did better than that against PSP eight times.

Wow at possibility that Wii might not be able to pass up GCN's LTD within one year. Nice analysis, Joshua.

Try to refrain from posting the bolded part in the future. You are dashing Sony fans hope with that analysis.

Personally, I think it is possible for PS3 to do much better than GCN, even without the "10 years life" BS. I can see PS3 at 6 Million, even 8 Million. I don't see it hitting 10 Million in Japan, even with the "10 years life" thing.

ghstwrld said:
Drawing conlusions about Japan from anecdotal evidence seems kind of foolish.
Even though Vinnk agree with you, you need to consider that it is not just Vinnk who reported it. cvxfreak, saw 13 Wii in Yodobashi (Tokyo). you can search his post in this thread (#107).

cvxfreak said:
Well, just saw (at least) 13 new Wii systems at the Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku (Tokyo).

Other stores in the area carry used Wii systems at about 5000 less than MSRP. Months ago, they used to be either on par or 5000 Yen more expensive.

Very slow week all around, with PS3 being the exception. Seems Bladestorm did help out a bit. Will be interesting to see if it has legs (I don't expect decent legs but you'll never know). This is also coming to 360, right? Will be interesting to see how software sales will do on that machine (won't do anything substantial for hardware).

Logan Cano said:
I'm honestly very surprised at these numbers. I thought the wii was going to absolutely take over the home console market like the DS did with the portable one, but it actually seems kind of feasible for PS3 to start selling on par in a few weeks if it gets the right software.
And with a HIM avatar no less.

Vinnk

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

"Vinnk's Village" Anecdotal Report

Every week I go to the game stores on Thursday to get my numbers. But usually I also stop in from time to time during the week. This week I am moving to a new apartment and I haven’t had time to do much else. Thus my observations this week are based only on what I saw the day I went and the people I talked to that day.

This week I was asked to look for Wii, Gyakuten Saiban 3, Summon Night, and Bladestorm. I visited the stores on Thursday, September 6th, 2007.

Jusco
Wii: 3
Bladestorm: 1
Summon Night: 2
Gyakuten Saiban 3: 2

Youme Town
Wii: 1
Bladestorm: 2
Summon Night: Sold out
Gyakuten Saiban 3: 3

Mr. Max
Wii: 2
Bladestorm: Sold out or didn’t order
Summon Night: 1
Gyakuten Saiban 3: Sold out

Book-Net
Wii: Sold out
Bladestorm: Sold out
Summon Night: 2
Gyakuten Saiban 3: 1

Goody
Wii: 1 (used)
Bladestorm: Sold out or didn’t order
Summon Night: Sold out or didn’t order
Gyakuten Saiban 3: Sold out or didn’t order

Best Denki
Wii: 6
Summon Night: 4

Wanpaku
Summon Night: 3
Gyakuten Saiban 3: 3 (2 new and 1 used)

Famicom Dojo
Bladestorm: Didn’t order it.
Summon Night: Sold out
Gyakuten Saiban 3: 1

Yamada Denki
Wii: 7
Bladestorm: 2
Summon Night: 3

TOTALS:
Wii: 24
Bladestrom: 7
Summon Night: 16
Gyakuten Saiban 3: 12

NOTES:

1. Since about mid-August the Wii has not been supply constrained. Stores still sell out, but most sores have it most of the time. Previously, if you ever saw a Wii was in store when you came in, chances are it would be gone by the time you left. That is no longer the case. Surprisingly large numbers of Wii systems (comparatively) can often be found. They are of course still selling but gone are people fighting or lining up for them. If you want one and you have time to stop in at a few stores, you will get one for sure.

2. Interestingly, stores like Wanpaku and Famicom Dojo are actually increasing their system orders that they send to the suppliers. They are trying to build up stock while they can. Hiro (at Famicom Dojo) knows that when games like Galaxy and Smash Bros. come out he will once again be told that “there is only enough stock for the larger stores” and he will miss out on both system and game sales like he did last holiday season. I can’t say if this is what other stores in Japan are doing, but if they are, Nintendo might be shipping just as many Wii systems now as they did during the “time of great insanity’.

3. DS is not supply constrained. You still might have to go to a few stores to find your perfect color, but in general anyone can get a DS who wants one. I didn’t count individual units this week because there is no longer a point in doing so. I will count them again around the holidays. Or earlier if something changes that would make those numbers worthwhile or interesting.

4. The games stores and many non-game stores are really hyping FF: Crisis Core. There have been kiosks set up at Wanpaku, Best and Yamada Denki for the last few weeks. Recently a new one at Book-Net and small one at Jusco appeared. Even the convenience stores are showing the trailer for the game on their cash registers. I would say this is probably the most hype I have seen for a PSP game ever. This includes Monster Hunter 2.

5. I saw my first used copy of Gyakuten Saiban 3. I expect to see a lot more by next week, if it is anything like the previous titles in the series.

6. Bladestorm is reporting a 90% sell-through but it doesn't seem any more rare in my town than any other PS3 game. Then again maybe they shipped a lot more.

7. Mina no Golf 5 is still selling at its retail price in my town (despite reports of a “price collapse” in other cities). But there are often as many used copies as new.

8. I once again talked to some of the local gaming nerds (Otaku) who, like me, are always found hanging around the game stores. They are talking about Dragon Quest IX (as usual) and Final Fantasy: Crisis Core. The opinions are mixed on this game. Some of them are happy just because it is Final Fantasy VIII and will buy it regardless (like they did with Dirge of Cerberus) but a few of them were complaining that it was such a different type of game and that it would have been better on a console. Despite this, I am pretty sure all of them still plan to buy it.

9. The most interesting thing I heard this week was from one of the otaku guys. He was telling me about how he had bought a Wii recently to play Dragon Quest Swords, Zelda and Fire Emblem. After he beat the games he promptly sold them and the Wii back to the store. Many gamers did this with Blue Dragon on the 360 as well. I asked him what game would make him re-buy the system. Well actually, I asked if he would re-buy it for Smash Bros or Galaxy. He said those weren't nearly as interesting to him as Metroid Prime 3 and No More Heroes (He is a big fan of the art style). It is sometimes amazing how different the mainstream and hardcore tastes can be.

Previous Reports:

August 30th, 2007
August 11th,2007
July 26th, 2007
July 19th, 2007
July 12th, 2007
July 5th, 2007
June 28th, 2007
June 21st, 2007
June 14th, 2007
June 7th, 2007
May 30th, 2007
May 24th, 2007
May 17th, 2007
May 10th, 2007

Bo130

Most surprising week in a while. Wii Sports goes out of the Top 10 for the first time for Media-Create and Nintendo DS goes beneath the 100k mark for the first time in a LONG time.

Izzy

Banned
Thanks for the report, Winnk!

The games stores and many non-game stores are really hyping FF: Crisis Core. There have been kiosks set up at Wanpaku, Best and Yamada Denki for the last few weeks. Recently a new one at Book-Net and small one at Jusco appeared. Even the convenience stores are showing the trailer for the game on their cash registers. I would say this is probably the most hype I have seen for a PSP game ever. This includes Monster Hunter 2.

Oh, I have a question, what's going on with PSP Slim? Are the shops still taking preorders, is there a buzz among the gamers, are there commercials yet....you know, the usual stuff.

apujanata

Vinnk said:
2. Interestingly, stores like Wanpaku and Famicom Dojo are actually increasing their system orders that they send to the suppliers. They are trying to build up stock while they can. Hiro (at Famicom Dojo) knows that when games like Galaxy and Smash Bros. come out he will once again be told that “there is only enough stock for the larger stores” and he will miss out on both system and game sales like he did last holiday season. I can’t say if this is what other stores in Japan are doing, but if they are, Nintendo might be shipping just as many Wii systems now as they did during the “time of great insanity’.

5. I saw my first used copy of Gyakuten Saiban 3. I expect to see a lot more by next week, if it is anything like the previous titles in the series.

6. Bladestorm is reporting a 90% sell-through but it doesn't seem any more rare in my town than any other PS3 game. Then again maybe they shipped a lot more.

7. Mina no Golf 5 is still selling at its retail price in my town (despite reports of a “price collapse” in other cities). But there are often as many used copies as new.

8. I once again talked to some of the local gaming nerds (Otaku) who, like me, are always found hanging around the game stores. They are talking about Dragon Quest IX (as usual) and Final Fantasy: Crisis Core. The opinions are mixed on this game. Some of them are happy just because it is Final Fantasy VIII and will buy it regardless (like they did with Dirge of Cerberus) but a few of them were complaining that it was such a different type of game and that it would have been better on a console. Despite this, I am pretty sure all of them still plan to buy it.

9. The most interesting thing I heard this week was from one of the otaku guys. He was telling me about how he had bought a Wii recently to play Dragon Quest Swords, Zelda and Fire Emblem. After he beat the games he promptly sold them and the Wii back to the store. Many gamers did this with Blue Dragon on the 360 as well. I asked him what game would make him re-buy the system. Well actually, I asked if he would re-buy it for Smash Bros or Galaxy. He said those weren't nearly as interesting to him as Metroid Prime 3 and No More Heroes (He is a big fan of the art style). It is sometimes amazing how different the mainstream and hardcore tastes can be.
Do you know how many Wii Hiro (Famicom Dojo) order to built up his Wii stock ? 5 ? 10 ? I noticed that he still have 2 Wii in his store this week.
Nice report on Gyakuten Saiban 3, MnG5 and Bladestorm.
About those otakus (did your future wife also consider you otaku because you are counting # of consoles and games for us ?), since they sold Wii & X360 (and PS3, I assume), are they still living in the PS2 era ? Or are different otaku keep a different system (some otaku only keep PS3, while other only keep Wii or only keep X360) ?

Interesting situation indeed. It's definitely funny to see that this turn of events could basically be seen as a breath of fresh air by quite a few people, as it appears that one obvious upside of the slowing demand for the console is that it will allow everyone involved in the distribution to build up stocks for the phenomenal rush that is bound to happen later this year.

Vinnk

Izzy said:
Thanks for the report, Winnk!

Oh, I have a question, what's going on with PSP Slim? Are the shops still taking preorders, is there a buzz among the gamers, are there commercials yet....you know, the usual stuff.

Wow, yeah I should have mentioned that. Sony is riding the hype of FF:CC. It is rare to see the game on a poster without also seeing the PSP slim and vice-verse. I think it is going to be a big sales week when it is launced. It will most likely beat the DS lite that week (especially with the recent slump). Maybe even for a few weeks.

apujanata said:
Do you know how many Wii Hiro (Famicom Dojo) order to built up his Wii stock ? 5 ? 10 ? I noticed that he still have 2 Wii in his store this week.
Nice report on Gyakuten Saiban 3, MnG5 and Bladestorm.
About those otakus (did your future wife also consider you otaku because you are counting # of consoles and games for us ?), since they sold Wii & X360 (and PS3, I assume), are they still living in the PS2 era ? Or are different otaku keep a different system (some otaku only keep PS3, while other only keep Wii or only keep X360) ?

I’ve never seen Hiro stock more than 3 of anything (games or systems) but he hope to build up a stock of around 5 Wii systems. And keep ordering them as they sell. It doesn't sound like a lot but I am willing to bet that the living room in your house is bigger than this store.

I am not really sure about the Otaku gamers. I assume all have the PS2. They still buy the PS2 RPGs (or at least talk about them a lot). A few have the Wii, a few PS3s and a surprisingly high number of 360s. Almost all have the DS. The DS and PS2 seem to be the primary platforms they are playing. But to tell the truth I never really asked them. We just talk about games, not usually the systems themselves. If you want I can investigate this more.

Vinnk

Jamesfrom818 said:
So Vinnk, any reports on how the wedding planning is going?

Sure,

We found a place for the ceremony and the reception. Like all things in Japan it is going to be amazingly expensive, but I'll manage somehow.

Recently we are getting fitted for the wedding clothes and making invitations.

As I mentioned my fiancé is not a gamer but she likes the Wii. It was actually her idea to do the invitations with little Mii representations of us and the phrase "Wii are Getting Married". I think it's cute but unless I can make it look really nice, I'm not sure I'll do it. My graphic design skills are laughable at best.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
interesting stuff Vink... wonder if it`s worth me throwing in Aki watch?

any interest from folks?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nintendo already has a ton of things on the way for Wii including Wii Fit, but now the DS is starting to come down and they don't seem to have much left coming for the handheld...

ziran

Square Enix calls for an improvement in Sony's PS3 strategy:
http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...T370622_RTRUKOC_0_US-SONY-PS3-SQUARE-ENIX.xml
"Sony first unveiled the PS3 as a mighty home electronics product. Then, after some badgering from game companies, it shifted the position of the console closer to a game machine," Square Enix President Yoichi Wada told reporters on Friday.

"(The future of the PS3) would be tough if its marketing strategy is not straightened up," he said.
"a mighty home electronics product"
"after some badgering from game companies"
:lol

The relationship sounds a tad strained!

So much of PS3's fate in Japan relies on Square Enix, this is one warning Sony needs to pay attention to.

Parl

jj984jj said:
Nintendo already has a ton of things on the way for Wii including Wii Fit, but now the DS is starting to come down and they don't seem to have much left coming for the handheld...

I wouldn't say DS is on its way down in general demand. This period we're on right now is traditionally slow.

Comparing DS to last year is heavily flawed as this year (just about) everybody who bought a DS last week wanted one that week and didn't go out to buy one before because supply has been good for several months now.

Last year, many of the people who bought a DS in the same week wanted one before but couldn't get one. There were probably a few million demand backlog from Christmas 05, the extremely low shipments of the first quarter before DS Lite, and then the rabid demand of DS Lite after launched, along with many big releases last year.

How many people who bought a DS last year in this week thought for the first time "hey, I'm gonna go and buy a DS this week" or "I want to buy a DS this week, but I doubt I'll be able to get one" and had only just decided on that there and then? Less than how many sold. How many said it last week? About 95,000.

We now have a much better idea as to how DS will sell because supply is sorted, and even with so many people already having one, market saturation should really start turning up at this point, it's not. That said, this year can turn out bigger than last year if Nintendo make Nov/Deb BIG with lots of DS on shelves.

legend166

jj984jj said:

I'd imagine the DQ remakes will get some pretty strong sales.

sankao said:

could this possibly be after launch where it sold 1 million, and then there was a lag, as people were awaiting a second shipment?

4000 seems awfully low =s for a console that i thought was on fire back then

lupin23rd

If someone was going to buy a system (eg. the Wii with 3 games as in Vinkk's example), and was going to pick up a few more later on, why would they bother selling the system off?

Grampasso

Mmmh... I don't think demand for Wii has actually cool down that much. Overall sales have slowed down (for almost every console), but not that much to point at a sudden lack of interest. Moreover, Mario Party 8 has sold just like Wii hardware, and judging by software sales usually declining faster than hardware ones it seems strange MP8 has achieved that much in such a slow week.

jj984jj said:
They really need to expand. It seems like the moment the Wii was launched, DS support almost stood at a standstill. It's good for them to acquire deveolping assets now and good for us wanting more games.

lupin23rd said:
If someone was going to buy a system (eg. the Wii with 3 games as in Vinkk's example), and was going to pick up a few more later on, why would they bother selling the system off?

Yer I don't get it either, that otaku friend of Vinnks said he wants Metroid Prime 3 so he has to buy the system again when it comes out. Be alot cheap if he just kepted the system.

titiklabingapat said:
They really need to expand. It seems like the moment the Wii was launched, DS support almost stood at a standstill. It's good for them to acquire deveolping assets now and good for us wanting more games.

Expand? They already got plenty of games that are still selling well and third party has this holiday covered.

Parl

titiklabingapat said:

Are you blaming Wii fit?

Should be third parties coming in big time here. It's taking the designated teams a while to adjust to the fact 20 GB worth of textures don't fit on a DS cartridge.

The DS holiday line-up is fine ASH, FFIV, DQIV, Tales of Innocence, Layton 2, Ryuusei no Rockman 2, we also have Mysterious Dungeon coming up real soon, like others have said, it's time for third parties to start coming up with big titles for the system and from the looks of it, they're catching on. ;)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Magicpaint said:
The DS holiday line-up is fine ASH, FFIV, DQIV, Tales of Innocence, Layton 2, Ryuusei no Rockman 2, we also have Mysterious Dungeon coming up real soon, like others have said, it's time for third parties to start coming up with big titles for the system and from the looks of it, they're catching on. ;)
That's the thing, Nintendo is relying so much on 3rd parties now when it comes to the DS but they don't always pull through.

jj984jj said:
That's the thing, Nintendo is relying so much on 3rd parties now when it comes to the DS but they don't always pull through.

Out of that list, I see 4 games which will almost certainly break 300K, of which 2 games have potential to sell a million, and the other 2 have a good shot at beating 500K.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
No problem finding Wii in Japan! That's for sure! Haven't seen a "sold out" sign for a long time now. And Yodobashi Camera in Umeda even removed their "get in line for a freaking Wii while they're still in stock" sign. Still selling well though.

Nintendo has always scaled back development in the years after a system launched. This should be no surprise.

The first few years Nintendo pumps out game after game, then in the 2nd/3rd year Nintendo puts the brakes on and lets 3rd party devs carry the system. It happened with the Gamecube, the DS, and it will happen with the Wii.

womfalcs3

Banned
According to Play Asia, Megazone 23: Aoi Garland and Agarest Senki are coming out on the PS3 this month. Are any or both of those games big in Japan?

[Nintex]

I think we might see the Wii sales decrease even more, the only "big" game that's coming out this month is Mario Strikers Charged. The Wii will pick up steam and crazy demand when Galaxy and Smash hit. But after almost a year the "WiiSports" fad is finally over and I think that Nintendo should do a WiiFit bundle this holiday season to ensure absolute victory.

Frillen

Vinnk said:
Wow, yeah I should have mentioned that. Sony is riding the hype of FF:CC. It is rare to see the game on a poster without also seeing the PSP slim and vice-verse. I think it is going to be a big sales week when it is launced. It will most likely beat the DS lite that week (especially with the recent slump). Maybe even for a few weeks.

I doubt it, Nintendo has Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon next week. I thinki that game will boost the DS sales to at least over 130k.

Looks like this will get interesting for a few weeks at least. I thought PSP wouldn't be #2 more than 1 or 2 weeks (first ones with new model) but if Wii keeps below 50k maybe PSP will shine some more.

First day sales:

PS2 Another Century Episode 3 - 120.000 (over 70k preorders, greatly exceeding former ACE title)
PS2 Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories - 10.000 (10% sold through, very bad even compared to PSP GTA LCS first day which was 20k with 20% sold through)
NDS Gundam Mahjong - 5,000
PSP Rezel Cross - 2,000
NDS Theta - 1,000

DeaconKnowledge said:
Nintendo has always scaled back development in the years after a system launched. This should be no surprise.

The first few years Nintendo pumps out game after game, then in the 2nd/3rd year Nintendo puts the brakes on and lets 3rd party devs carry the system. It happened with the Gamecube, the DS, and it will happen with the Wii.

Isn't that a contradiction? And the Gamecube was pretty much a failure and didn't warrant much support after the writing was all but on the wall.

Nintendo cannot put the brakes on Wii development because they're the only ones able to drive sales thus far. In the pre-gamecube era they had Rare to supplement their first party stuff, but now they have nothing close to that kind of support in terms of sales-generating software.

It's too bad third parties were asleep on the Wii in the beginning. Although I like Nintendo's main franchises, it really feels like they're shooting their load in the first 15 or so months of the system. I mean, within that time there'll be Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Smash, Sports, Play, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Mariokart, Super Paper Mario, Strikers, Pokemon spinoff, and potentially Wiifit. That's 5 or so Mario-themed games in barely over a year.

Thankfully Retro is doing something different now and Nintendo's making so much headway into this gen that 3rd parties can ill-afford to ignore them.

Top Bottom