• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 8/27 - 9/2 2007

d+pad

Hcoregamer00 said:
To be completely realistic (no sarcasm here), I think the reason why is because supply finallly caught up to demand in Japan.

It's funny to me that people are using the last few slow weeks in Japan (which the Wii still 'won,' and quite handedly) as an indicator of how things are going to shake out. "OMG, the Wii's going to settle at 30k a week!"

Uh, SSBB and SMG will soon be in stores, followed by the holiday season. I think it's a fairly sure bet that the Wii is going to blow up again after that happens. Wii Fit, I think, will be received even more warmly than these two games - probably much like Wii Sports and Wii Play.

I don't think the Wii is forever going to outsell the competition 6 to 1, but I can certainly see it leading the generation for quite some time (if not from here on out).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ethelred said:
And Tales of Innocence.

Also, ASH is a megaton game.

I totally forgot about ToI. I expect it will do really well because I get the impression that everyone knows that Namco has learned from Tales of the Outsourcing.

ASH will obviously sell very well based on the pedigree of the developer as well as the publisher, but I'm not sure if it'll really get into the YI:DS/Zelda/600-700k+ territory. If it does, AWESOME, because I think Mistwalker really deserves it for taking their sweet time with this game (presumably to get it just right, since we haven't heard any horror stories of development hell!)

I still expect that Nintendo will launch at least 3-5 titles during November/December and the end of October. Last year they had five; Kirby, Jump Ultimate Stars, 1000 Recipes, Magic Taisen, and some other non-game. In 2005 they had 8; Clubhouse Games, True Swing Golf, Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon, Animal Crossing WW, Hamtaro 99: Richard Gere Edition, Mario Kart DS, Brain Training 2, and Mario and Luigi 2.

I do expect Nintendo to step down a little tiny bit from previous years, but I can't imagine them going dry, especially since the DS has yet to have a month without a third party release.

Stumpokapow said:
I totally forgot about ToI. I expect it will do really well because I get the impression that everyone knows that Namco has learned from Tales of the Outsourcing.
Yes, they definitely learned since they are outsourcing it again.

ethelred

Stumpokapow said:
I totally forgot about ToI.

And Professor Layton 2 and Star Force 2, as well. Really, the last few months of the year are crammed with some pretty high profile third party games.

Stumpokapow said:
ASH will obviously sell very well based on the pedigree of the developer as well as the publisher, but I'm not sure if it'll really get into the YI:DS/Zelda/600-700k+ territory.

It wasn't quite clear sales were the delineating factor there. You had things broken down into casual/non, B tier, and megatons -- but the casual/nons can (obviously) become some of the best-selling games on the system, more than many of the "megaton" games.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Yes, they definitely learned since they are outsourcing it again.

Well, we'll see. Alfa doesn't exactly equal Dimps, and they're clearly putting a lot more effort into the game (I think this skit video demonstrates that well) and into its marketing and promotion.

Stumpokapow said:
TBQH if you look at what they released over 2007, you'll see that their direction is pretty much 15% casual/non-games, 70% B-level games, and 15% megaton games.

January 18th - Wario the Thief / Wario: Master of Disguise, January 25th - Hotel Dusk, January 25th - Picross DS
February 8th - Jet Impulse / DS Air
March 8th - Yoshi's Island DS megaton, March 29th - English Training 2 casual
April 12th - Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2, April 19th - Wi-fi Clubhouse Games, April 26th - Panel de Pon DS / Planet Puzzle League
May 17th - Ouendan 2, May 24th - Kurikin Nano Island Story (like pokemon except you fight viruses against each other), May 31st - Observation Training / Flash Focus casual
June 7th - Suujin Taisen (puzzle game), June 23rd - Zelda: Phantom Hourglass megaton
July 5th - Chibi-Robo DS, July 12th - My Housekeeping Diary casual
August 2nd - Face Training casual, August 2nd - Slide Adventure Mag-Kid, August 9th - DK Jungle Climber
September 6th - theta, September 13th - Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon 2 megaton
October 4th - ASH

3 megatons, 4 casuals, 15 other games.

At 22 games over 9 months, they're averaging around 2 and a half games per month. Assuming they keep that up for November and December, we're looking at five new games. We already have two with confirmed dates: DS Novel (which apparantly Nintendo is calling "Literature Collection DS"), and Mario Party. That leaves four slots for games, and we only know about two in development--Advance Wars DS 2 and Nintendo Crossword.

So we can expect at least a few surprises unless Nintendo is really going to let DQ4 and FF4 have their space.

Wow that does put it into perspective, I forgot that Nintendo is publishing ASH, guess that's their hardcore fix for the holiday.

Stumpokapow said:
Advance Wars DS megabombed. Like, less than 50k. I'm sure Moor Angol's site (japan-gamecharts.com) has the actual number. Both the GBA ones faired rather poorly in Japan as well, but I think part of that could be due to the fact that one of the GBC ones released like a week before one of the GBA ones.
That last sentence is a bit off. For whatever reason Advance Wars didn't release in Japan anytime near when it did around the world, and was only part of the eventual Advance Wars 1 & 2 combined release.
At this point it's pretty much impossible for Nintendo to announce a mega-seller for November or December; so they have two options--either leave things open to give DQ4 and FF4 room to breathe, or fire off the B-level titles they're working on.
There's always time for them to announce something on a Brain Age development level.
Rocksteady said:
Were you people in a coma during the first year of the DS? It was the worst lineup of software ever. We had the launch and then tech demos like Yoshi Touch & Go. And then... nothing. Until finally Meteos and Kirby Canvas Curse came out that following June. PSP had more games on the market at one point for fuck sake, despite being released like 5 months later. The DS didn't start rolling until that August when Nintendogs (which blows) and Advance Wars DS came out. And then finally software arrived that holiday season.
You're mixing your Americas into a Japan thread. Kirby and Nintendogs were kicking things up April-ish in Japan, and PSP was released 10 days after DS.

AniHawk

Small, non-MC update regarding absolutely worthless numbers:

Because nothing else matters, the unholy megabeast aka Halo 3 is up to 452 reservations at The Store with just two weeks to go.

DaSamba

Banned
AniHawk said:

Because nothing else matters, the unholy megabeast aka Halo 3 is up to 452 reservations at The Store with just two weeks to go.

On that note, can we expect Halo 3 to outsell PS3 in the 4th quarter worldwide
?

AniHawk said:

1 million Halo 3 sales at day one confirmed ?

DaSamba said:
Well duh. It'll get way higher than that.

Might be.Halo 2 sold more than 5,5 Million in the US alone ,accumulated of course.So I guess 1 Million Halo 3 copies at the very first day will be sold imo .

DaSamba

Banned
Knastluder said:
Might be.Halo 2 sold more than 5,5 Million in the US alone ,accumulated of course.So I guess 1 Million Halo 3 copies at the very first day will be sold imo .

Halo 2 sold like 2 million in the first day if I remember correctly.

DaSamba said:
Halo 2 sold like 2 million in the first day if I remember correctly.
I don't think you remember correctly.

I think it was 2 million it's first month. Still, should be one of this years big(only?) moneymakers for MS.

Thunder Monkey said:
I don't think you remember correctly.

I think it was 2 million it's first month. Still, should be one of this years big(only?) moneymakers for MS.

I'm almost certain Halo2 sold something like 2.3 M on day one.

Deku

Banned
sphinx said:
:lol :lol :lol

Why don't you write a letter to Sony asking if they could please cease production of that thing they call "PS3" ?

Did you see the Sony TGS games list. They might as well have not shown up there as the games are totally out of whack with the market.

mclem

AniHawk said:

That's... quite a few. Think you'll be okay for supply?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Looks like this will get interesting for a few weeks at least. I thought PSP wouldn't be #2 more than 1 or 2 weeks (first ones with new model) but if Wii keeps below 50k maybe PSP will shine some more.

First day sales:

PS2 Another Century Episode 3 - 120.000 (over 70k preorders, greatly exceeding former ACE title)
PS2 Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories - 10.000 (10% sold through, very bad even compared to PSP GTA LCS first day which was 20k with 20% sold through)
NDS Gundam Mahjong - 5,000
PSP Rezel Cross - 2,000
NDS Theta - 1,000

No fatal inertia #. Less than 1,000 sold. Wow Koei you just got screwed.

donny2112

Diamond/Pearl is just about to pass Ruby/Sapphire. :)

Pokemon_Japan.jpg

Jiggy

donny2112 said:
Good, since it's so much better. :D Hopefully this becomes a worldwide thing as well, to reverse the series' otherwise-downward trend.

donny2112 said:
JoshuaJSlone mentions the countdown every week with the current rate's takeover date. ;)
Some don't pay much attention.

I have been for a long time now. The sales-agers have my respect, and what they do holds my interest.

Asset to GAF.:D

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Kobun Heat said:
I would just like to provide the counterpoint here and tell Nintendo fans to sit back, relax, and enjoy your flight.

I just had a mental image of Chris in a skirt, handing out bags of pretzels.

I might have to actually start drinking.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
DeadyFernGarden said:
The saddest thing about Halo3 is that its huge numbers will be completely nullified by the RROD settlement payout.

Actually, MS has already paid for all RRoD repairs last quarter, that covers all future repairs to the system dealing with that issue over the life of the system. Any profits that Halo 3 makes will be just that, profit.

Selling 5 million @ average $60/pop is ALOT of money!

llTll

Banned
AlteredBeast said:
Actually, MS has already paid for all RRoD repairs last quarter, that covers all future repairs to the system dealing with that issue over the life of the system. Any profits that Halo 3 makes will be just that, profit.

Selling 5 million @ average $60/pop is ALOT of money!

yeah but MS doesnt get 60$ on every game tho :p

AniHawk

mclem said:
That's... quite a few. Think you'll be okay for supply?

We had more than enough for Halo 2. I would assume we'd be given enough for this thing, seeing as we're probably #1 or #2 in the district.

I'm thinking we're going to get 500 reservations of the game or close to it. Probably 250-300 will show up the first night (200 for Halo 2), with the rest coming in through the rest of the week. As crazy as it sounds, I'd wager about 50-100 people will never pick up their reservations.

Lobster

Banned
donny2112 said:

Pokemon_Japan.jpg

What I find weird with that chart is that Red/Blue/Green don't have Yellow include and neither does Gold/Silver have Crystal and Ruby/Sapphire doesn't group up with Emerald. I think they should be.

Hammerhai said:
Over 20 000 Preorders for Halo 3 in Japan in the Moment.
Hammerhai said:
Sorry, but the source is V G Charts.
Thanks for the valuable info.

Pretty sure this will chart in the top 10 come release and then sink like a rock. I don't expect it to sell any significant amount of hardware either.

Lobster

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Thanks for the valuable info.

Pretty sure this will chart in the top 10 come release and then sink like a rock. I don't expect it to sell any significant amount of hardware either.

It would be really fucking weird if Halo 3 made 360 sell a couple of million consoles. Its a shame nothing too abnormal happens in the world of sales.

Lobster said:
It would be really fucking weird if Halo 3 made 360 sell a couple of million consoles. Its a shame nothing too abnormal happens in the world of sales.
I was refering to Japan. I do believe Halo 3 will give 360 a considerable boost in the US but not the millions of consoles 360 fans have pipedreams about.

Lobster said:
What I find weird with that chart is that Red/Blue/Green don't have Yellow include and neither does Gold/Silver have Crystal and Ruby/Sapphire doesn't group up with Emerald. I think they should be.

R/B/G, G/S, R/S, and D/P are grouped together because they are the exact same game with different Pokemon. In essence, 2 SKUs.

Emerald/Yellow/Crystal all contain changes within the game themselves, like Battle Frontier, or having a Pikachu as a forced starter and it following you around. Ergo, different game.

Lobster

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
I was refering to Japan. I do believe Halo 3 will give 360 a considerable boost in the US but not the millions of consoles 360 fans have pipedreams about.

No I meant Japan lols. Just saying that it would be god damn weird if it gave 360 a significant boost in Japan.

Lobster said:

Crystal and Emerald are the third game of their respective SKUs/Generation, Yellow is not that third game, it's a special release.

Top Bottom