• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 8/27 - 9/2 2007

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
i expect a ds price drop or maybe new bundles after the holiday season in japan....

and bigN should start to announce new BIG Titles for the ds...

schuelma said:
It does seem kind of odd, doesn't it? 3-4 weeks ago Wii was still doing 65K..now its down to like 35K. Weird.

The first thing I would say is that there are shortages. But Vinnk said that there aren't, so I don't know. Maybe is this a period that is traditionally slow ? But last year it wasn't if I good remember...

Another possibility is that DS has reached the saturation point (and after 20 millions handhelds it would not be SO strange) but why so fast ? And what about the Wii ? Maybe the interest has gone ? But I don't think that it is possbile in only two week. If the consumer loose interest with a machine, it doesn't in just 2 weeks and not with BOTH DS and Wii at the same time. No, simply this explication doesn't make sense.

Sharp said:
PS2 and PS3 didn't have as far to fall. There is always going to be a baseline level of interest in these consoles, and I think we're either seeing it or close to it for pretty much all of them.

um, but the difference is that PS3 is still tracking above what it had been averaging the past few months, whereas DS and Wii are tracking lower. I think that's the interesting part.

donny2112

d+pad said:
Uh, SSBB and SMG say 'Hi.'

Uh, SSBM and SMS say 'Hi.' ;)

My point being that it isn't the hardcore games that have sent the Wii to its heightened popularity over the GameCube but rather the new casual-type games like Wii Sports. If the Wii is to get back to its previous level, it will most likely be due to those games (e.g. Wii Fit) and not the same type of games they had on the GameCube.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
nicholasphan said:
um, but the difference is that PS3 is still tracking above what it had been averaging the past few months, whereas DS and Wii are tracking lower. I think that's the interesting part.

Umm...its not really that interesting. If the Wii and DS are still significantly outselling the Sony consoles significantly even at their slowest point of the year...its really not that significant.

Sharp

nicholasphan said:
I don't think the PS3 is going to return to below 10k for a long while. That was mostly a result of its having basically no games out or forthcoming in the near future. Now we're finally starting to see more Japanese support for the PS3, so I don't think it will dip that low again. I suppose you could argue that the Wii is basically in the same situation the PS3 was not that long ago, and that the PS3's baseline is still not the same as what it's selling right now, but effectively what I said still holds.

Laguna

Banned
It´s realy funny or should I better say sad for Sonyfans how Wii (with it´s "downfall) is still selling three to four times more than PS3. Coming weeks will be very interesting.

Evlar

Banned
nicholasphan said:
Don't try to make this a Sony-vs.-Nintendo thing. PSP also sold significantly lower than its three month average.

Rolf NB

schuelma said:
Umm...its not really that interesting. If the Wii and DS are still significantly outselling the Sony consoles significantly even at their slowest point of the year...its really not that significant.
Ahh, uhhh, so it would be more significant if it were less significant. Cool.

donny2112

schuelma

bcn-ron said:
Ahh, uhhh, so it would be more significant if it were less significant. Cool.

Maybe I didn't articulate myself very well. What I mean is, even with this downward trend in sales the Wii is still outselling PS3 nearly 3-1 and the PS3's sales are still hovering around 10K. Right now there is no evidence that the PS3 is going to overtake the Wii in weekly sales anytime soon- It's a lesser degree of domination, but its still domination.

tanod

when is my burrito
Laguna said:
It´s realy funny or should I better say sad for Sonyfans how Wii (with it´s "downfall) is still selling three to four times more than PS3. Coming weeks will be very interesting.

Who are these unnamed Sonyfans you speak of?

Rolf NB

schuelma said:
Maybe I didn't articulate myself very well. What I mean is, even with this downward trend in sales the Wii is still outselling PS3 nearly 3-1 and the PS3's sales are still hovering around 10K. Right now there is no evidence that the PS3 is going to overtake the Wii in weekly sales anytime soon- It's a lesser degree of domination, but its still domination.
The point wasn't that the PS3 is going to overtake the Wii anytime soon, but that it's sales remain steady at a level that is much improved over the 8k, 9k per week slump we have seen earlier this year. You're lowballing them pretty hard btw.
The only reason the Wii is played into it is because its sales among all the other sales are a good measuring yardstick for seasonal market fluctuations.

The reason why Wii is not selling as latest weeks is simple :

no games, no sales

the last bunch of games arrived at the end of July / beginnin of August, then no significative game arrived till now (and it's over a month...) and no one will arrive till Mario Strikers Charged (and it will be over a month and a half...)

Usually October is the month with the lowest sales during the year, but for Wii i feel it will September, cause October line-up is more consistent (even if selling in the same day Gintama, Zak & Wiki, Ghost Squad and DDR is not properly wise)

schuelma

bcn-ron said:
The point wasn't that the PS3 is going to overtake the Wii anytime soon, but that it's sales remain steady at a level that is much improved over the 8k, 9k per week slump we have seen earlier this year. You're lowballing them pretty hard btw.
The only reason the Wii is played into it is because its sales among all the other sales are a good measuring yardstick for seasonal market fluctuations.

Ok, I guess my larger point is that in the larger scheme of things, an increase from 9k to 15K a week doesn't do much in the long run.

bcn-ron said:

I would not use the term "much improved" dude.

ziran

Thanks Kurosaki. Slow chart all round, but not unexpected for the time of year.

While there's no doubt in PS3's overall fate, it would have been helped if it was able to capitalise on this relative lull in Wii sales, but with a decline this week it's looking like things are dropping to a low level. PS3 has been in difficulty since its launch, but these troubles are only going to increase with the upcoming titles for Wii and they will push the system even further away from the mass market beast that was PS2. PS3's line-up for the rest of the year in Japan is weak so far, Sony desperately needs to announce some big releases before the year end at TGS, even if it's just to recapture some of the declining hardcore, but I'm not convinced they're in a position to do this.

Sony's big problem with PS3 is the nature of its development turns it into a lumbering giant. It is incapable of responding quickly to market changes. But saying that, Sony has demonstrated incredible incompetence not noticing the obvious shift in the Japanese market. Too much, 'if I don't acknowledge it it doesn't exist', :lol

donny2112 said:
Are we finally seeing the affects of many of the same games appearing in the Top 30 week in and week out? Most of the people who wanted those games finally have them, so we're seeing a relative drop in interest?

DQIX and the DQ remakes assure that the DS will bounce back to former levels for a time, but there actually could be concern for the Wii bouncing back to former levels. Maybe Wii Fit will significantly raise interest again with the non/lapsed gamer crowd. PSP now has a very good shot of outselling the DS the week CC:FFVII comes out. Will this be the PSP's Easter? :lol
I'm expecting the PSP revision to sell well, but again, the huge problem for Sony is sw. As a device it is successful, but its audience is a hardcore one and seems to want big, home console experiences, as Sony anticipated, the problem is there aren't enough of these people around.

Also, I expect FFVII:CC to be a big success, however, this isn't going to be much of an incentive for developers because having to invest 2-3 years and a home console budget to have a big hit when DS sw sales are so high (at home console levels for the first ever for a handheld), isn't logical.

PSP sw sales have been pitiful since its launch and this is something I doubt will ever change, even with the advent of the new model (barring a minor blip relatively speaking).

DQ is definitely going to ignite DS sales, and ASH might sell well, but I think Nintendo does need a new game, maybe they have something unnannounced planned.

As for Wii, I can't see much to worry about. Wii Fit, SMG, SBB are going to be huge and cover a wide audience, and most importantly have legs. I think these titles are going to add to Wii Sports and Wii Play, providing 5 system sellers, in the same way Animal Crossing and Mario Kart added to Nintendogs and Brain Training for DS. These titles could be in the charts for years.

Magicpaint said:
But apparently, DSes and Wiis can be found everywhere in Japan. I think it's just a slow couple of weeks for both systems. Though for the PSP, the low numbers could be more largely attributed to the upcoming PSP Slim. PS2 and PS3 don't seem to have dropped as massively as DS/Wii.
DS and Wii definitely aren't supply constrained but their drops this week are the same as PS3 percentage wise, ~20%.

Jokeropia

bcn-ron said:
The point wasn't that the PS3 is going to overtake the Wii anytime soon, but that it's sales remain steady at a level that is much improved over the 8k, 9k per week slump we have seen earlier this year.
Well it might, but we can't say that for sure yet as this week's Famitsu has it dropping by about the same percentage as it has the Wii dropping.

ziran said:
Thanks Kurosaki. Slow chart all round, but not unexpected for the time of year.

While there's no doubt in PS3's overall fate, it would have been helped if it was able to capitalise on this relative lull in Wii sales, but with a decline this week it's looking like things are dropping to a low level. PS3 has been in difficulty since its launch, but these troubles are only going to increase with the upcoming titles for Wii and they will push the system even further away from the mass market beast that was PS2. PS3's line-up for the rest of the year in Japan is weak so far, Sony desperately needs to announce some big releases before the year end at TGS, even if it's just to recapture some of the declining hardcore, but I'm not convinced they're in a position to do this.

Sony's big problem with PS3 is the nature of its development turns it into a lumbering giant. It is incapable of responding quickly to market changes. But saying that, Sony has demonstrated incredible incompetence not noticing the obvious shift in the Japanese market. Too much, 'if I don't acknowledge it it doesn't exist', :lol

I'm expecting the PSP revision to sell well, but again, the huge problem for Sony is sw. As a device it is successful, but its audience is a hardcore one and seems to want big, home console experiences, as Sony anticipated, the problem is there aren't enough of these people around.

Also, I expect FFVII:CC to be a big success, however, this isn't going to be much of an incentive for developers because having to invest 2-3 years and a home console budget to have a big hit when DS sw sales are so high (at home console levels for the first ever for a handheld), isn't logical.

PSP sw sales have been pitiful since its launch and this is something I doubt will ever change, even with the advent of the new model (barring a minor blip relatively speaking).

DQ is definitely going to ignite DS sales, and ASH might sell well, but I think Nintendo does need a new game, maybe they have something unnannounced planned.

As for Wii, I can't see much to worry about. Wii Fit, SMG, SBB are going to be huge and cover a wide audience, and most importantly have legs. I think these titles are going to add to Wii Sports and Wii Play, providing 5 system sellers, in the same way Animal Crossing and Mario Kart added to Nintendogs and Brain Training for DS. These titles could be in the charts for years.

DS and Wii definitely aren't supply constrained but their drops this week are the same as PS3 percentage wise, ~20%.

Good analysis Ziran. Agreed completely. Facts are still facts after all.

Evlar

Banned
bcn-ron said:
I think (hope) PS3 has found a new floor at about 16k.

bud

wow, the wii really is a fad, confirmed. the sales numbers speak for themselves--the people are not really feeling it anymore. now is the perfect time for the 360 and ps3 to strike back.

Jokeropia

bud said:
wow, the wii really is a fad, confirmed. the sales numbers speak for themselves--the people are not really feeling it anymore. now is the perfect time for the 360 and ps3 to strike back.
I wanna say this is sarcasm, but then you never know with some people. Note that everything is down during these last few weeks, not just Wii.

donny2112

bud said:

Yeah, because when the PS3 and 360 combined can almost get to half of the Wii's sales for a week in early September, it's a sure sign of ... hmmm ... yeah ... something. That's for sure.

donny2112 said:
Yeah, because when the PS3 and 360 combined can almost get to half of the Wii's sales for a week in early September, it's a sure sign of ... hmmm ... yeah ... something.

You would be suprised of how many people really think that way >_<

bud said:

You're the best answer to the question: "who is really a Gaffer ?". :lol

bud

why should i be joking around here? you guys just can't take it that the wii sales--one of the reasons these threads are as big as they are--are starting to drop harder than other systems'. it's time for a reality check, people.

Arde5643

Jokeropia said:
Right. In my experience he's one of the people with which you never know regarding these issues.
Doesn't that mean it's just easier to ignore his opinion then if that's the case?

Evlar

Banned
bud said:
why should i be joking around here? you guys just can't take it that the wii sales--one of the reasons these threads are as big as they are--are starting to drop harder than other systems'. it's time for a reality check, people.
We can't take it? Seems we've been having a rather level-headed discussion of what is happening and why up to this point.

Jokeropia

bud said:
Wii: ~60k a few weeks ago -> ~40k now
DS: ~140k a few weeks ago -> ~80k now
PSP: ~34k a few weeks ago -> ~16k now
PS3: ~25k a few weeks ago -> ~14k now

If anything, Wii's drop actually seems comparatively less drastic.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
So with the slim model, FF7 CC, Mingol portable 2 and other stuff it looks like PSP will outsell Wii for a good portion of the rest of the year?

'A' Levels preparation. As it is, I might not be able to update at all until after Nov. 21. I wonder if anyone will still remember or care by then. :lol

So with the slim model, FF7 CC, Mingol portable 2 and other stuff it looks like PSP will outsell Wii for a good portion of the rest of the year?

Uh, let's not get carried away.

schuelma

Sage00 said:

I don't know if I'd go that far.

Haunted

Pureauthor said:
Maybe if I wrote another chapter in my Media Create fanfic it would scare him off.
now now, let's not overreact. We can't just nuke the place when there's a small problem, yes? It's not worth the sacrifice.

And bud's right anyway. When the worldwide megahit Too Human comes out very early next year, it's all over for the competition. There's nothing in the other companies' lineup that comes even close to Too Human.

Arde5643

Eteric Rice said:
Hi guys, whats going on in here?

:D
Wii is finally doomed - since PSP Slim's coming out along with MinGol portable, it will wipe out the floor with the Wii.

Since PS3 is part of the Playstation brand, it will also somehow wipe the floor with the Wii.

Eteric Rice

Arde5643 said:
Wii is finally doomed - since PSP Slim's coming out along with MinGol portable, it will wipe out the floor with the Wii.

Since PS3 is part of the Playstation brand, it will also somehow wipe the floor with the Wii.

Ah, so same old stuff?

Top Bottom