• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 8/27 - 9/2 2007

Lobster said:
It would be really fucking weird if Halo 3 made 360 sell a couple of million consoles. Its a shame nothing too abnormal happens in the world of sales.
How quickly a handheld consistently selling 100K weekly, a home console selling faster than any before it, Nintendo and Sony switching places, and games staying in the top 30 for multiple years becomes normal and boring.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
How quickly a handheld consistently selling 100K weekly, a home console selling faster than any before it, Nintendo and Sony switching places, and games staying in the top 30 for multiple years becomes normal and boring.

It's amazing what people can adjust to and how quickly they can do that adjustment.

Christine

AniHawk said:
As crazy as it sounds, I'd wager about 50-100 people will never pick up their reservations.

Not crazy at all. Some people actually reserve at multiple stores for convenience or out of paranoia, and some people just plain old forget and end up buying non-reserve copies or getting it after launch. You can pretty much count on every person that reserved getting Halo at some point from some source, though.

.dmc

Banned
donny2112 said:
It's amazing what people can adjust to and how quickly they can do that adjustment.

Especially apparent when a 2 week slump following a holiday period can be construed as a massive loss of momentum. Most casual sales-agers seem to have no concept of time, anything that has happened within the past month is believed to be a 'norm', any changes are hastily judged against the past 4 weeks rather than against any broader time frame.

donny2112

Just updating an older graph. This is through last week's MC thread.

MCPosts-1.png

Izzy

Banned
Vinnk said:
Anything I should look for this week?

Wii - sales
Old PSP - the amount still in stock
DS - sales
Crisis Core - marketing/anticipation/sales
PSP Slim - marketing/anticipation/sales

Thanks.

Here we go again...if you thought last week numbers were low, just continue reading this post :lol

Famitsu numbers:

DSL - 79,000
Wii - 38,000
PSP - 16,000
PS3 - 14,000
PS2 - 13,000
360 - 1,800

1. PS2 Another Century Episode 3 - 157,000
2. NDS Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates - 33,000 (~317,000)
3. Wii Mario Party 8 - 28,000 (~780,000)
4. PS2 Sengoku Musou 2 Mushouden - 24,000 (~258,000)
5. PS3 Bladestorm - 22,000 (~85,000)

Other new titles
6. PS2 Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories - 17,000
13. NDS Gundam Mahjong - 12,000
.... PSP Rezel Cross - 3,300
.... NDS Theta - 2,100
.... PS3 Yamasa Digi World SP: Pachi-Slot Sengoku Musou - 1,300

Other titles
9. NDS My Housekeeping Diary - 15,000 (~181,000)
10. NDS Gyakuten Saiban 3 - 14,000 (~106,000)
17. PS3 Minna no Golf 5 - 10,000 (~305,000)
25. NDS Zelda Phantom Hourglass - 7,000 (~778,000)

kay

New lows all around, minus PS2/PS3

Not many big games have released but still, dramatic drops.

I guess the Yamasa game didn't do too well, as expected.

polluar

Jesus, these numbers are very low. It will have makes sense in July but now, wow.. What'is going on? Nintendo, and SOny are stock pilling or what?

Even the DS have slow sales this week... it's starnge

kay

indie85 said:
bububu wait for next week, wiis have been diverted to america :lol
It's not that, it's the same problem the PS3 had after Gundam Musou's release.. NO GAMES

things will bounce back in the coming months.

Izzy

Banned
Thanks.

So,

DSL - 101,000
Wii - 48,000
PSP - 22,000
PS3 - 17,000
PS2 - 16,000
360 - 2,000

Does that mean Media Create numbers for some of the hardware could even go lower - just like last week?

Izzy said:
Does that mean Media Create numbers for some of the hardware could even go lower - just like last week?
Maybe, or maybe they are actually higher because they undertracked last week, or Famitsu overtracked last week and its putting them lower on purpose this week. Who knows :lol

Izzy

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Maybe, or maybe they are actually higher because they undertracked last week, or Famitsu overtracked last week and its putting them lower on purpose this week. Who knows :lol

:lol

Now I dunno about first week Crisis Core sales, I've predicted them to be in 300-350k range - but if they manage to sell-out the LE, we're going to have an epic thread on our hands.

And then the week after, PSP Slim launches...

Good times...Good times

I guess the summer lull has arrived in Japan.

So, perhaps the reason Nintendo's been diverting shipments is due to anticipating the leveling off of demand?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7695613&postcount=340

DSL down 22k
Wii down 10k
PSP down 6k
PS3 down 3k
PS2 down 3k
360 down 200
360 down 200 only !
Nice MS.

I'm sorry but even last week were the Wii low sales a consequence of shifting stocks to US or making extra stocks for christmas ?
I don't know if anyone here is just making supposition or if there had been some kind of confirmation via distributors ?

Evlar

Banned
It seems we can begin to safely say Wii has moved out of supply constraint in most parts of Japan. Amazon has had it in stock several weeks straight (each time I've checked), Vinnk and other anecdotal reports indicate it's on shelves, used console stock has persisted, and the precipitous drop in sales these last few weeks do not appear to be matched be a corresponding drop in supply.

I think the "shifting shipments to the US" theory has no merit.

Will be interesting to see if Mario Strikers can spark some life into Wii sales, iirc the first one did quite well (for being on GC and a western game).

Bladestorm didn't drop down as sharply as I would've guessed. I'm interested in seeing what this can do LTD and on 360.

Izzy

Banned
Amazon.co.jp's got Wii in stock at No.40 - but I'm not in Japan, so I dunno if they're widely available in shops.

donny2112

Are we finally seeing the affects of many of the same games appearing in the Top 30 week in and week out? Most of the people who wanted those games finally have them, so we're seeing a relative drop in interest?

DQIX and the DQ remakes assure that the DS will bounce back to former levels for a time, but there actually could be concern for the Wii bouncing back to former levels. Maybe Wii Fit will significantly raise interest again with the non/lapsed gamer crowd. PSP now has a very good shot of outselling the DS the week CC:FFVII comes out. Will this be the PSP's Easter? :lol

Edit:
The Sphinx said:
I think the "shifting shipments to the US" theory has no merit.

It had no merit when Pachter said it or for last week's sales, either.

Izzy

Banned
donny2112 said:
Are we finally seeing the affects of many of the same games appearing in the Top 30 week in and week out? Most of the people who wanted those games finally have them, so we're seeing a relative drop in interest?

DQIX and the DQ remakes assure that the DS will bounce back to former levels for a time, but there actually could be concern for the Wii bouncing back to former levels. Maybe Wii Fit will significantly raise interest again with the non/lapsed gamer crowd. PSP now has a very good shot of outselling the DS the week CC:FFVII comes out. Will this be the PSP's Easter? :lol

Well, don't know about that, but the reservations for all the new PSP models are completely sold out at Amazon.co.jp.

No need to worry about Wii, a recent JP research has revealed the two items people were most interested in - WiiFit and PSP Slim.

Also I expect a nice bump with SMG and SSB releases.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Here we go again...if you thought last week numbers were low, just continue reading this post :lol

Famitsu numbers:

DSL - 79,000
Wii - 38,000
PSP - 16,000
PS3 - 14,000
PS2 - 13,000
360 - 1,800

1. PS2 Another Century Episode 3 - 157,000
2. NDS Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates - 33,000 (~317,000)
3. Wii Mario Party 8 - 28,000 (~780,000)
4. PS2 Sengoku Musou 2 Mushouden - 24,000 (~258,000)
5. PS3 Bladestorm - 22,000 (~85,000)

Other new titles
6. PS2 Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories - 17,000
13. NDS Gundam Mahjong - 12,000
.... PSP Rezel Cross - 3,300
.... NDS Theta - 2,100
.... PS3 Yamasa Digi World SP: Pachi-Slot Sengoku Musou - 1,300

Other titles
9. NDS My Housekeeping Diary - 15,000 (~181,000)
10. NDS Gyakuten Saiban 3 - 14,000 (~106,000)
17. PS3 Minna no Golf 5 - 10,000 (~305,000)
25. NDS Zelda Phantom Hourglass - 7,000 (~778,000)

I don't understand the point. The DS and the Wii have dominated for the entire year and now there is a big slow down. And in only two weeks...

Any possible explication ?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
PSP now has a very good shot of outselling the DS the week CC:FFVII comes out. Will this be the PSP's Easter? :lol

The last time the PSP outsold the DS was in week 63 of the DS near the beginning of 2006 when the DS sold 5k or so that week because of a massive supply collapse.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I don't understand the point. The DS and the Wii have dominated for the entire year and now there is a big slow down. And in only two weeks...

It does seem kind of odd, doesn't it? 3-4 weeks ago Wii was still doing 65K..now its down to like 35K. Weird.

For reference, here are Famitsu numbers from about a year ago. Big DS bump due to Final Fantasy III.

2006-08-28
GCN: 901
GBASP: 2,607
GBM: 2,105
DS: 819
DSL: 230,081
PS2: 23,290
PSP: 30,462
X360: 1,047

2006-09-04
GCN: 721
GBASP: 2,061
GBM: 1,594
DS: 1,905
DSL: 142,812
PS2: 20,135
PSP: 27,812
X360: 911

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Summer vacation just ended.

Sharp

Eh, MC will probably track higher this week. The steepest drop in demand by far is for the DS, and since that's printing money and doesn't have much of a game shortage problem it leads me to suspect that it's mostly the summer lull.

donny2112 said:
PSP now has a very good shot of outselling the DS the week CC:FFVII comes out. Will this be the PSP's Easter? :lol

Dunno, I suspect that Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon 2 could build up sales for the DS a bit. It's certainly possible though.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Wow, everything is plummeting. Maybe holding back stock for Xmas? Maybe? Hm.

But apparently, DSes and Wiis can be found everywhere in Japan. I think it's just a slow couple of weeks for both systems. Though for the PSP, the low numbers could be more largely attributed to the upcoming PSP Slim. PS2 and PS3 don't seem to have dropped as massively as DS/Wii.

Sharp

PS2 and PS3 didn't have as far to fall. There is always going to be a baseline level of interest in these consoles, and I think we're either seeing it or close to it for pretty much all of them.

d+pad

donny2112 said:
DQIX and the DQ remakes assure that the DS will bounce back to former levels for a time, but there actually could be concern for the Wii bouncing back to former levels.

Uh, SSBB and SMG say 'Hi.'

Evlar

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Summer vacation just ended.
I was wondering whether the drop in sales across the board had something to do with the political situation in Japan. Just a general unease that would make people a little more cautious about discretionary spending. Of course I'm speaking out of my ass, I have no idea whether typical gaming consumers would worry about these things.

kay

I posted some upcoming Wii games on page 11.. oh here they are.

9/13 SSX Blur - EA
9/20 Mario Strikers Charged - Nintendo
9/20 Sengoku Musou Katana - KOEI
9/27 Bass Fishing Wii - ARC System Works
9/27 MySims - EA
9/27 Kekkaishi: Kokubourou no Kage - Bandai Namco
10/4 Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2 Wii - Konami
10/4 Dragon Ball Z: Sparking Meteor - Bandai Namco
10/25 Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party - Konami
10/25 Ghost Squad - Sega
10/25 Gintama: Banji Oku Chuubu - Bandai Namco
10/25 Simple Wii Vol. 1 - D3 Publisher
10/25 Simple Wii Vol. 2 - D3 Publisher
10/25 Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - Capcom
11/1 Opoona - KOEI
11/1 Super Mario Galaxy - Nintendo
11/8 Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 - EA
11/15 Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles - Capcom
11/29 Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes - Capcom
Fall 2007 Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn! - Marvelous
12/- Simple Wii Vol. 3 - D3 Publisher
12/- Simple Wii Vol. 4 - D3 Publisher
12/- Wii de Kanken Grand Prix - Rocket Company

Winter 2007

Bachindaa - Hudson
Battalion Wars 2 - Nintendo
Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch - Bandai Namco
Crossword - Hudson
Doraemon Wii: Himitsu Douguou Ketteisen! - Sega
Gegege no Kitaro: Yoaki Dai Undokai - Bandai Namco
Haneru no Tobira Wii - Bandai Namco
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games - Nintendo
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Nintendo
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams - Sega
No More Heroes - Marvelous
Shrek 3 - Activision
Soul Calibur Legends - Bandai Namco
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Nintendo
Super Swing Golf Season 2 - Tecmo
We Love Golf - Capcom
Wii Music - Nintendo
Wii Fit - Nintendo
Winning Eleven 11 - Konami

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Sphinx said:
I was wondering whether the drop in sales across the board had something to do with the political situation in Japan. Just a general unease that would make people a little more cautious about discretionary spending. Of course I'm speaking out of my ass, I have no idea whether typical gaming consumers would worry about these things.

Uh, Shinzo Abe resigning is a sigh of relief for the country. If his resignation were to deflate consumer spending, why didn't the suicide of his agriculture minister, the spending scandal, the months and months of lame-duck level popularity, massive election losses, etc?

I'm also fairly certain that when consumer confidence is lowered based on political events, it's generally in industries like travel, home buying, car sales, investment rather than low cost goods.

Top Bottom