• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Apr 19-25

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
[PS2] Puyo Puyo Fever (Sega) 176.79
[GCN] Puyo Puyo Fever (Sega) 17.436

:lol

[NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega) 223.965
[PSP] Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega) 3.900

Holy shit! :O

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
jett said:
Sucks. Low expectations from Nintendo? No pre-orders at stores? No interest from gamers? Fail all around anyway.

I heard that pre-orders are rather low. And besides, one of the reasons the original sold so well is because of the holiday boost it got.

jett said:
Sucks. Low expectations from Nintendo? No pre-orders at stores? No interest from gamers? Fail all around anyway.

They had a fairly well-publicised issue last time with Japanese stores quickly slashing the price of the game, IIRC. I don't think anyone involved will be wanting to repeat that...

I personally think Galaxy 2 will outsell the first game in the long run by a considerable amount. I actually think it will not even take that long (despite the apparently lower first shipment) to pass one million and it will eventually hit the 1.5 million/Mario 64 range.
But that's just me. I felt like making a bold prediction. :lol

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
slaughterking said:
I personally think Galaxy 2 will outsell the first game in the long run by a considerable amount. I actually think it will not even take that long (despite the apparently lower first shipment) to pass one million and it will eventually hit the 1.5 million/Mario 64 range.
But that's just me. I felt like making a bold prediction. :lol

I guess anything is possible! Stranger thinks have happened (such as Tomodachi Collection).

Does anyone think that New Super Mario Bros. Wii could help its sales in the long run?

That's what I'm betting on. NSMB Wii created a completely new awareness and interest in Mario games on home consoles. So I'm basically taking 70% - 80% of the people who already bought the first game and add them to 25% of the people who bought NSMB Wii but not Galaxy 1 (I assume that's about 3 million pepole to this date) and I'm getting roughly 1.5 million sold Galaxy 2 units. Makes sense to me. :lol

loosus

Banned
Actually, New Super Mario Bros. is exactly why I am very unlikely to get Super Mario Galaxy 2 until it's dirt-cheap. I got the first Super Mario Galaxy at $50. It wasn't the worst game ever, but I started to question whether I was starting to simply get tired of the Mario formula. Then, I loved NSMB and realized that 3D Mario games are simply not much fun.

So, while I think Galaxy 2 will sell a few million copies, I fully expect it to perform not as well simply because I think the public generally will agree with me that 3D Mario is simply not as fun.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
slaughterking said:
That's what I'm betting on. NSMB Wii created a completely new awareness and interest in Mario games on home consoles. So I'm basically taking 70% - 80% of the people who already bought the first game and add them to 25% of the people who bought NSMB Wii but not Galaxy 1 (I assume that's about 3 million pepole to this date) and I'm getting roughly 1.5 million sold Galaxy 2 units. Makes sense to me. :lol

This makes sense actually.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jett said:

Uhh..that's still a very healthy number. The first one only did like 270K first week IIRC. No reason to ship a million copies or anything, and Nintendo seems to be able to re-stock pretty quickly.

loosus said:
Actually, New Super Mario Bros. is exactly why I am very unlikely to get Super Mario Galaxy 2 until it's dirt-cheap. I got the first Super Mario Galaxy at $50. It wasn't the worst game ever, but I started to question whether I was starting to simply get tired of the Mario formula. Then, I loved NSMB and realized that 3D Mario games are simply not much fun.

So, while I think Galaxy 2 will sell a few million copies, I fully expect it to perform not as well simply because I think the public generally will agree with me that 3D Mario is simply not as fun.

I don't think it's really a case of 2D being more fun, but more accessible.
It's easier to get into and just pick up and play than the 3D counterparts.

loosus

Banned
3D Mario would be more fun as a few weird levels in the 2D Mario games. Having an entire game of 3D Mario is just a friggin' chore.

loosus said:
3D Mario would be more fun as a few weird levels in the 2D Mario games. Having an entire game of 3D Mario is just a friggin' chore.

Eh, I'd say you're in the minority with that opinion.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
loosus said:
Yeah... No.

matmanx1

Nier numbers seem low but if that's 95% of the PS3 shipment then I guess it met expectations. I'm certainly enjoying it although I'm guessing the US sales numbers will be very, very low.

Ketsui doing less than 10k seems a crime (Mushihimesama was closer to 20k, right?) but without being region free all of us gaijin were left out in the cold unless we owned a J 360. Really hope Aksys or someone picks it up for localization.

Dragon Quest and Peacewalker putting up respectable to good numbers. I really wonder how Peacewalker will do here in the US. I sort of fear for it's performance, unfortunately.

farnham

Banned
MemoirsofMimi said:
I guess anything is possible! Stranger thinks have happened (such as Tomodachi Collection).

Does anyone think that New Super Mario Bros. Wii could help its sales in the long run?
definately.. nintendo is trying to market this as the next 2D mario (with some 3D aspects :lol :lol ) in a lot of the footage they have shown so far..

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
bttb said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10523053805.html

The first shipment for Super Mario Galaxy 2 will be around 500-600k. This is slightly lower than the previous title.
That's a huge first shipment considering how slowly the first Galaxy began and the period of the year Galaxy 2 is coming out.
Nintendo and retailers are betting on NSMBW hype. I was always sure that Galaxy 2 would sell at least as much as Galaxy worldwide but Japan remained a question.
It won't have the legs of the first game and it must have a bigger opening if Galaxy 2 wants to have a LTD close to Galaxy.
Now it's up to Nintendo to prove that lesson is learned from Galaxy and NSMBW advertising campaign and support the sequel properly.

loosus said:

0_☺ this is heresy!!

cvxfreak

NSMB Wii could end up being a liability for Galaxy 2 after the first month. After NSMB Wii was released, which game went up in weekly sales? It wasn't the original Galaxy, that's for sure. It was NSMB on DS.

NSMB Wii should be ahead of Galaxy 2 on the weekly charts after a month. NSMB Wii will then be stealing potential sales away from Galaxy 2. This isn't like NSMB Wii and Mario Kart Wii, where they're clearly two distinct products. People who want to buy a new Mario product after NSMB Wii will probably choose NSMB DS or Mario Kart Wii before Galaxy 2. I think the best strategy for Nintendo would be to make sure Galaxy 2 has a big launch, the biggest of any 3D Mario launch. Its legs will be unsustainable.

cvxfreak said:
NSMB Wii could end up being a liability for Galaxy 2 after the first month. After NSMB Wii was released, which game went up in weekly sales? It wasn't the original Galaxy, that's for sure.
Unless you've got weekly sales of SMG over the past year, I'm going to call BS on this. :lol

Cheez-It

AceBandage said:
Eh, I'd say you're in the minority with that opinion.

No.

Maybe when examining the population at GAF, or long time gamers. For many people, 3d mario IS a chore compared to 2d mario.

3d mario is inherently more challenging than 2d mario. WE all know how to play 3d games, so it might feel easy... but we are in the minority.

Just think about the controls...
2d: move left and right, constant controls, typically with a set and obvious direction for the 'goal'
3d: move in all directions, controls shift based on camera, no set direction for the 'goal' (gamers pick up on where to go next, but it is far from the obvious "right" or "up" in 2d mario)

This is just a very small portion of what makes 3d mario more of a chore than 2d mario, and inherently less mainstream than 2d mario...

cvxfreak

JoshuaJSlone said:
Unless you've got weekly sales of SMG over the past year, I'm going to call BS on this. :lol

.______________________.

I guess you could be right. Point stands, though! :lol

For discussion, though, no 3D Mario has had a really huge first week. Mario may think he's hot stuff, but he's no Kiryu Kazuma. Going with Famitsu data

SM64: 162,111 (Two days of sales at system launch)
SMS: 280,610
SM64DS: 120,062
SMG: 256,341

Cheez-It said:
Maybe when examining the population at GAF, or long time gamers. For many people, 3d mario IS a chore compared to 2d mario.
Sure, but if we're quantifying "friggin' chore" by how the public takes to a game, the vast majority of games which do much worse than 3D Marios must be "super duper friggin' chores".

apujanata

loosus said:

I am also in this camp. I believe that NSMB Wii will cause SMG2 to underperform SMG1, not the other way around (which is more logical).

JoshuaJSlone said:
Sure, but if we're quantifying "friggin' chore" by how the public takes to a game, the vast majority of games which do much worse than 3D Marios must be "super duper friggin' chores".
I believe it should be "super duper friggin' chores, with double duct tape included free of charge", to avoid customer suing the publisher due to repetitive stress injury.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
slaughterking said:

I'm gonna make a bold prediction and say this is not gonna happen solely because NSMBW sold due to its 2D Mario nature, not its Mario nature.

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
I think the best strategy for Nintendo would be to make sure Galaxy 2 has a big launch, the biggest of any 3D Mario launch. Its legs will be unsustainable.

So it'll only triple its launch week sales? So sad. :(

Edit:
The biggest 3-D Super Mario launch has been Sunshine at 281K, and that one did only triple its first week sales.

I just don't think the public really generalizes between "2D Mario" and "3D Mario" in the way that most gamers do. Yes, the 2D games are perhaps easier to grasp for some people, but I don't think people really go "well, I liked the last Mario game, but this one is 3D, so no thanks". Some people, maybe, but certainly not everyone. Obviously, New Super Mario Bros. Wii has more of a simplistic approach and throwback that made it catch it on, but I don't think it's impossible for that appeal to translate to Galaxy 2.

I'm not saying that Galaxy 2 is going to sell 3 million copies in Japan, but I think the fact that Mario has been firmly back in the public consciousness because of the recent game will definitely give a boost to Galaxy 2's sales. I could easily see it surpassing the first one for that reason.

Regulus Tera said:
I'm gonna make a bold prediction and say this is not gonna happen solely because NSMBW sold due to its 2D Mario nature, not its Mario nature.
Yes, that's why I'm saying only a quarter of the current NSMBWii (but not Galaxy) owners will take an interest in Galaxy 2 and the other 75% will just ignore it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems it's almost time for everyone's fiscal results again. Since these are the end of year results for many of these companies, I imagine they will contain some rather interesting information.

Japanese Financial Results:

May 6th: Nintendo
May 7th: Namco Bandai
May 7th: Capcom Results
May 10th: Capcom Conference
May 10th: Koei Results
May 13th: Sony
May 13th: Konami
May 17th: Koei Conference
May 18th: Square Enix

Sega: "What's an IR calendar?"

Note: If the results and conference aren't listed separately, that usually means they're taking place on the same day.

donny2112

Nintendo often has another briefing a day or two later that often has useful U.K./Spain/Germany/France numbers and other interesting data. It doesn't usually show up on their calendar until it's already happened, for some reason.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
slaughterking said:
Yes, that's why I'm saying only a quarter of the current NSMBWii (but not Galaxy) owners will take an interest in Galaxy 2 and the other 75% will just ignore it.

And Imma say even 25% is too large a number.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So some people were asking about Sengoku Basara's popularity with females earlier.

Siliconera said:
Another aspect of strengthening Capcom brands, Kobayashi says, are the public events the publisher conducts for fans of its series. Putting on a grand show at these events in order to ensure fans have a good time is a top-priority. One example of this is the theatrical road tour, conducted last year. The most surprising revelation, though, is that 90% of the fans that attend Sengoku Basara events are women.

“Forty percent of the game users and more than ninety percent of visitors to our events are women,” Kobayashi shares. He goes on: “Most of male users generally play the game only. The hard core fans that visit our events are mainly women. The most prominent age group is women in their late teens and early twenties. The number of fans that are in high school and junior-high school is also increasing.”
Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/05/04/sengoku-basara-producer-90-of-visitors-to-our-events-are-women/

Capcom also has some interesting speculation on why this occurred in the first place.

Siliconera said:
The Psychological Hook

To sum up, the game is easy to learn, and the company behind it treats it and its fans with the utmost respect. But what captured the attention of Sengoku Basara’s female audience in the first place? The answer to that question may lie in observing Japanese society.

In the past, Kobayashi has opined that the female fascination with Sengoku Basara also results from a lack of suitably masculine male partners in real life, in light of the rise of “herbivore men” in Japan. A large number of these individuals consider themselves “gender-neutral” and have no trouble playing the role of housewife while the lady goes out to work and support the family financially. They dress fashionably, go to great lengths to maintain their sometimes feminine looks, and care more for spiritual satisfaction than a sense of accomplishment.

They’re described as not being homosexual, but at the same time, they aren’t entirely heterosexual either. This phenomenon, it would appear, combined with the ease of play and brand promotion on Capcom’s part are all a crucial part of Sengoku Basara’s popularity amongst women.

justchris

Siliconera said:
The Psychological Hook

To sum up, the game is easy to learn, and the company behind it treats it and its fans with the utmost respect. But what captured the attention of Sengoku Basara’s female audience in the first place? The answer to that question may lie in observing Japanese society.

In the past, Kobayashi has opined that the female fascination with Sengoku Basara also results from a lack of suitably masculine male partners in real life, in light of the rise of “herbivore men” in Japan. A large number of these individuals consider themselves “gender-neutral” and have no trouble playing the role of housewife while the lady goes out to work and support the family financially. They dress fashionably, go to great lengths to maintain their sometimes feminine looks, and care more for spiritual satisfaction than a sense of accomplishment.

They’re described as not being homosexual, but at the same time, they aren’t entirely heterosexual either. This phenomenon, it would appear, combined with the ease of play and brand promotion on Capcom’s part are all a crucial part of Sengoku Basara’s popularity amongst women.

It might be a good idea to market the next installment of Dudebro in Japan.

donny2112

mutsu said:
Everyone is just buying Mario, Mario, and Mario on the Wii.

But not Mario 3-D? ;P

Seriously, Wii 2. Launch in Japan first (and way before other territories; Japan needs it the most).

Nirolak said:
“herbivore men” in Japan

A wee bit tired of hearing this phrase, more overused in Japan then metrosexual was in America.

It was the culture Buzzword for 2009, and is, used by people enjoying being armchair sociologists, to describe just about any social phenomena that occurs. Organic vegetable sales on the rise! Herbivore men! , Loveplus sells well herbivore men that can't deal with real females! Beer sales down? herbivore men, drinking that wine now! Female underwear sale is on the rise, men suits are at the lowest sales ever? It's those herbivore men's fault again.

Spiegel

MC numbers are out.

http://www.inside-games.jp/ranking/weekly.php?week=153

Looks like the first day numbers were off or that DQMJ2 and MGS:pW had no legs or Famitsu will have higher numbers.

1. DQMJ2 - 624k
2. MGS:pW - 434k
3. SSF4 PS3 - 81k
4. NSMB Wii - 44k
5. SSF4 360 - 28k
6. Mario Kart Wii - 28k
7. Tomodachi - 27k
8. Hitman Reborn DS - 24k
9. Nier PS3 - 21k
10. Wii Fit Plus - 20k

DQMJ and MGSPW have a weekend growth of a mere 22% and 25% respectively if we're going by the Famitsu first (two) day(s) and Media Create first week data. That really is awfully low.

Top Bottom