• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 21 - 27, 2009

gerg

Mojojo said:
Is there something equivalent for the Zelda franchise? would love to see that.
I wish Nintendo would do the NSMBWii treatment to Zelda (2D overworld + dungeons, with some Four swords gameplay in the mix), alongside the motion+ 3D Zelda.

The problem with the comparison between "2D Mario" and "2D Zelda" is that 2D Mario is a much simpler concept, gameplay wise, than 2D Zelda. You might see an increase in sales with a hypothetical "NEW Legend of Zelda", but I don't think there'd be anything near the disparity that we have between NSMB (and NSMB Wii) and SMG, for example.

onken

OK what did I miss? Wii/DS doing great, PS3 whupping last years numbers, PSP still kicking, Go is just lol, 360 basically didn't get even get a spike this year.

FF13 drop slightly bigger than than I thought, but about right relative to first first week. NSMB still tearing it up of course, Zelda not gigantic out of the gate but it'll have legs, IE2 doing great.

Whew, what a year.

Parl

Hero of Legend said:
What really amazes me, is that the Wii's weekly HW sales have actually gone UP every week since NSMBW's launch:

Nov 30 - Dec 6: 106.555
Dec 6 - Dec 13: 135.898
Dec 14 - Dec 20: 191.915
Dec 21 - Dec 27: 215,129

JESUS, just how high can it go?! :O
Same happened with some of the other systems too. How long than this continue?

The_lascar said:
Total hardware sales for the week 52 :
2005: 632 247
2006: 472 860
2007: 619 255
2008: 568 277
2009: 658 986
9 systems working together can finally overcome the bump from DS's explosion. :lol
Onesimos said:
I predict that New Super Mario Bros. Wii will sell more copies in the 1Q 2010 than the total sales of the Wii games released in that quarter.
Not a bad guess. Looking back, I've got Wii's first quarter 2009 games still at under 600K, though maybe the end-of-year lists will push them over.
Azelover said:
The PS3 basically got a relaunch with the Slim in 2009.

I think it's amazing Nintendo managed to win 2009 with nothing outside of colors and bundles(and software)
:lol That's a lot of qualifiers, though. They were able to win with nothing! Except colors. And bundles. And huge software. And a price cut. And 2/3 of the year coming before PS3's relaunch.

chris0701

2009 Japan Sales

NDS -- 3 978 953
PSP -- 2 248 171
Wii -- 1 962 367
PS3 -- 1 764 532
X360 -- 373 357
PS2 -- 206 555

Holy shot@NSMBWii. The sales of Wii never stops now.

Road said:
Kurosaki Ichigo, if possible, could you say how many people are already off the Wii total? (I know I am Haha.) And with at least 150k coming this week, totalizing 800,000, I wonder if anyone bet that high.

And a happy new sales-age year, hopefully with a lot of
leaks
numbers for us.
11 out of 14, with 2 of those just at 503 units above.

Some Comgnet points system notes I found weird today:

- NSMB only does 272pt after two weeks with ~900. Severe shortages in comgnet stores, no other reason.

- FFXIII used sales go down from ~30pt last week to 26pt (week 12/28-1/3). Weird.
Normal sales go down but not by much (~450? to 330). If anyone was wondering, DQIX is king of used sales by far, its probably eating a lot into new sales.

- KHBBS reaches 1000pt in preorders. With a few days still away, last preorders for other titles were: KH 358/2 had 588pt, Crisis Core 755pt, Dissidia 703pt, Kingdom Hearts 2 2158pt. KH2 figure is probably too old to hold any weight, FF titles just don't behave the same...just felt about sharing.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
JoshuaJSlone said:
:lol That's a lot of qualifiers, though. They were able to win with nothing! Except colors. And bundles. And huge software. And a price cut. And 2/3 of the year coming before PS3's relaunch.
The original statement wasn't entirelly correct. There were 3 hardware bundles that possibly were lower that 60k total, one new color and big software only for the second half, with the ultra big hit coming out last month.

AniHawk

Chris1964 said:
GB+GBC = 32.430.000

Wow. That's way more than I expected. Guess the DS becomes the best-selling system ever next year in Japan. Of course, it will have needed four models to get there, same as the GB/C.

AniHawk said:
Wow. That's way more than I expected. Guess the DS becomes the best-selling system ever next year in Japan. Of course, it will have needed four models to get there, same as the GB/C.
And you've got a competent second place handheld there too. The handheld market in Japan is larger then it's ever been.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Parl said:
Which ones? Is that based on software releases?
No, year trends. There were no releases the previous week. Hardware usually goes up at week 1 comparing to week 52. But week 52 was already bigger than usually so I don't know how big the rise will be next week, if there is any. It won't be too long before we find out. We will know this Friday.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
11 out of 14, with 2 of those just at 503 units above.

Some Comgnet points system notes I found weird today:

- NSMB only does 272pt after two weeks with ~900. Severe shortages in comgnet stores, no other reason.

Yeah very odd. Will be interesting to see if that shortage was more widespread.

I'm not sure if this is really the thread it belongs in, but someone who goes by Dr Mario Kart on the Penny Arcade forums has compiled a list of all the studios that has contracted, shut down, or in general went through a rough patch in 2009, and I think it's something worth taking a look at.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=13038018&postcount=1677

(The spoiler system on that forum works differently from this one so I can't quote it here. Sorry about that.)

Michan

AniHawk said:
It'd have easily made it with the three, and possibly two (though it'd have been a slow burn for the Lite). It'll easily break 32 million this year, and could well end with a LTD of around 40 million. It just depends on when Nintendo decides to put out a successor.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
gerg said:
The problem with the comparison between "2D Mario" and "2D Zelda" is that 2D Mario is a much simpler concept, gameplay wise, than 2D Zelda. You might see an increase in sales with a hypothetical "NEW Legend of Zelda", but I don't think there'd be anything near the disparity that we have between NSMB (and NSMB Wii) and SMG, for example.

Zelda peaked with Ocarina, 3D Mario went in a totally odd direction. It cut off the majority of a huge number of Mario players, while probably attracting new totally different ones which leaves a much smaller number of 2D Mario fans making the transition to 3D.

Zelda need a proper "NEW Ocarina", and not just a wannabe version or remake. Just a Zelda game with the same impact, the same ammount of things that weren't seen before in a game with the same magic to them.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Azelover said:
Zelda need a proper "NEW Ocarina", and not just a wannabe version or remake. Just a Zelda game with the same impact, the same ammount of things that weren't seen before in a game with the same magic to them.
You ask for the impossible. Even Galaxy didn't do that at the 3d platforms genre.

cvxfreak

I suspect NSMB Wii is falling into shortages precisely so Nintendo can leverage weekly Wii sales. It'd look good for the title to have staggered but consistent big weeks rather than have bigger drop offs. The game would then keep the system above its baseline for awhile. Next week will tell us for sure, but I think the game will see several more big weeks before hitting its half-year long legs.

I mentioned in the beginning of December that I expect there to be a strong correlation between NSMB Wii and Wii hardware for several months, and this will be one way for Nintendo to do it. Ideally, the Wii should have a better Q1 lineup, but unlike last year, they can get away with it for 2010.

I frequently see Galaxy 2 as something that could solve the Wii's Q1 weakness, but I disagree, and I'd say Spirit Tracks is a pretty good indicator of what could happen. I still think Galaxy 2 should be replaced with something like New Super Mario 64 if Nintendo's going to try another 3D Mario.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chris1964 said:
You ask for the impossible. Even Galaxy didn't do that at the 3d platforms genre.

I don't think what he's asking for is impossible. While Ocarina was huge and remains very well loved today, it strikes me that since then there have been a number of major action or action adventure or RPG-ish games that have been similarly huge. Not talking about sales, but impact on gaming consciousness--Morrowind and later Oblivion, both Fable games, Shadow of the Colossus, Assassin's Creed 1/2, Batman AA, Uncharted 1/2, even Metroid Prime as a serious in a lot of ways... hell, I'd say God of War if the tone wasn't so awful or Heavenly Sword if it had actually lived up to its promise... plus Okami and BG&E which both have been repeatedly accused of having done Zelda better than Zelda did. There's also the open world revolution of the last two generations, of which I'd probably cite Just Cause, GTA3/4, and Crackdown for different reasons, and I'd also add WoW to the pile.

All of these games, even though they vary in overall genre, run with some pieces of the OoT puzzle and bring new elements to the table. All of them are pretty major in gaming's canon over the last few decades. Regardless of anyone's opinion on Twilight Princess, it really didn't add much to the canon and isn't likely to be an influence, but I don't think this precludes there being another revolutionary Zelda.

On the other hand, there are a few issues:
1) The Wii, frankly, can't deliver an AV showcase the way OoT was back then. Twilight Princess certainly doesn't show off the Wii, but even assuming a best case scenario there are going to be visual limits that are going to make it less stunning than OoT was. A more cartoon art style would better play to these limits, but OoT was at least realistic for the time.

People might piss and moan that you don't need HD or that visuals aren't everything or whatever, and that's true, but OoT was a heartstopper at least in part because it was so visually impressive at the time.

2) There are key design decisions in a Zelda that Nintendo will always choose to make that prevent the game from being at the forefront of western gaming in 2010. No voices for Link. Tutorial messages every time you open a box or get 5 rupees. Fixed dungeon formula. Pretty weak overworlds by choice. Very linear progression. No blood or gore--now that's not to say everything has to be God of War, but Zelda has always been a soft T game and that limits certain things.

Again, not that any of these design decisions are bad per se, just that they probably prevent any new Zelda from really being the kind of game Azelover was asking for.

*shrugs*

ReyBrujo

Michan said:
It'd have easily made it with the three, and possibly two (though it'd have been a slow burn for the Lite). It'll easily break 32 million this year, and could well end with a LTD of around 40 million. It just depends on when Nintendo decides to put out a successor.
Just like NDS will pass PS2 this year on USA. UK already done, but Europe may take a while more.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
I suspect NSMB Wii is falling into shortages precisely so Nintendo can leverage weekly Wii sales. It'd look good for the title to have staggered but consistent big weeks rather than have bigger drop offs. The game would then keep the system above its baseline for awhile. Next week will tell us for sure, but I think the game will see several more big weeks before hitting its half-year long legs.
You're saying that they would deliberately prevent all these kids who have just received otoshidama from spending money on Nintendo products just to try to improve sales through January? That makes zero sense. A real sale now is more valuable than a potential sale next week, and I don't see any worth in maintaining a smooth number on Media Create anyway. Year-end has always been Nintendo's forte, and noone expects otherwise.

duckroll

Mojojo said:
Is there something equivalent for the Zelda franchise? would love to see that.

No big image but.....

Legend of Zelda (FC) - 1.69 million
Adventures of Link (FC) - 1.61 million
Ocarina of Time (N64) - 1.14 million
Phantom Hourglass (DS) - 902k
Wind Waker (GC) - 742k
Majora's Mask (N64) - 601k
Twilight Princess (Wii) - 552k
Oracle of Ages (GBC) - 373k
Oracle of Seasons (GBC) - 372k
Link's Awakening DX (GBC) - 314k
Link to the Past + 4 Swords (GBA) - 293k
Minish Cap (GBA) - 235k
Four Swords Adventure (GC) - 127k

Missing titles: Link's Awakening GB original, Link to the Past SFC.

As you can see, Zelda is no Mario. :p

zeldagaf01.png

duckroll said:
Legend of Zelda (FC) - 1.69 million
Adventures of Link (FC) - 1.61 million
A Link to the Past (SFC) - 1.16 million
Ocarina of Time (N64) - 1.14 million
Phantom Hourglass (DS) - 902k
Wind Waker (GC) - 742k
Majora's Mask (N64) - 601k
Twilight Princess (Wii) - 552k
Link's Awakening (GB) - 540k
Oracle of Ages (GBC) - 373k
Oracle of Seasons (GBC) - 372k
Link's Awakening DX (GBC) - 314k
Link to the Past + 4 Swords (GBA) - 293k
Minish Cap (GBA) - 235k
Four Swords Adventure (GC) - 127k

Missing titles: Link's Awakening GB original, Link to the Past SFC.
fixed. ;)

onken

cvxfreak said:

I mentioned in the beginning of December that I expect there to be a strong correlation between NSMB Wii and Wii hardware for several months, and this will be one way for Nintendo to do it. Ideally, the Wii should have a better Q1 lineup, but unlike last year, they can get away with it for 2010.

I frequently see Galaxy 2 as something that could solve the Wii's Q1 weakness, but I disagree, and I'd say Spirit Tracks is a pretty good indicator of what could happen. I still think Galaxy 2 should be replaced with something like New Super Mario 64 if Nintendo's going to try another 3D Mario.

People often said this about the Wii hardware after launch. I guarantee you every company is trying to throw out as much of their product as fast as possible, ESPECIALLY over the holiday season. As someone else said, it's kids with their new year's money (like me, buaha) out to spend it. They're not going to hold out for a re-supply, they'll simply buy something else.

gerg

onken said:
People often said this about the Wii hardware after launch. I guarantee you every company is trying to throw out as much of their product as fast as possible, ESPECIALLY over the holiday season. As someone else said, it's kids with their new year's money (like me, buaha) out to spend it. They're not going to hold out for a re-supply, they'll simply buy something else.

As much as I think that there's genuine supply problems affecting the production of the game, I don't think that NSMB Wii has any real competitors.

onken

gerg said:
As much as I think that there's genuine supply problems affecting the production of the game, I don't think that NSMB Wii has any real competitors.

They don't have to buy games with the money you know...

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
JoshuaJSlone said:

Now that you mention it, I had been saying that a lot about the Wii, that people were putting a bunch of qualifiers. It probably rubbed off on me..

What I meant was that I don't think there's reason to rebuy the system outside of maybe colors, wereas with the PS3 I think there was. And plus the Wii's market was more saturated, that type of surge surprised me. Kindof. I was expecting the Wii to sort of go very slow until a refresh came along, kind of like the DS did for its standards back in 2008 until DSi hit.

gerg

onken said:
They don't have to buy games with the money you know...

True, but if consumers really want the game, and if there is no similar game already on the market, then I imagine that they'll be happy (or willing) to wait to buy it. I understand that you're suggesting that lots of consumers who aren't "die-hard" Mario fans may not be able to make their purchase if the game isn't on shelves, but if there is, quite literally, nothing else like the game on the market I can only imagine that demand for it will be delayed, not destroyed.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
gerg said:
True, but if consumers really want the game, and if there is no similar game already on the market, then I imagine that they'll be happy (or willing) to wait to buy it. I understand that you're suggesting that lots of consumers who aren't "die-hard" Mario fans may not be able to make their purchase if the game isn't on shelves, but if there is, quite literally, nothing else like the game on the market I can only imagine that demand for it will be delayed, not destroyed.
I think over holiday seasons, where a significant portion of game sales are gifts, if the game/system isn't available then something else is bought in its place. When the US was having Wii shortages Nintendo ran a rain check program to make sure that they didn't miss out on those gift sales.

Vinnk

Went shopping today:

1. NSMB Wii sold out at the 4 stores I went to.
2. 2 of the stores were also sold out of Wii.
3. Lots of copies of Graces both new and used (and since the used copies have appeared it is pretty much over for new sales.
4. Saw 2 people buying SW3 (which has not drpped in price yet in my city)
5. Loads of used FFXIII but I saw a few people buying new PS3s along with used FFXIII (so even as a used title FFXIII might still help move some units)
6. One store had a demo kiosk set up with FAMICOM(!) super mario bros. set up. But all copies of the Famicom cart itself was sold out.

schuelma

Vinnk said:
Went shopping today:

3. Lots of copies of Graces both new and used (and since the used copies have appeared it is pretty much over for new sales.
5. Loads of used FFXIII but I saw a few people buying new PS3s along with used FFXIII (so even as a used title FFXIII might still help move some units)
6. One store had a demo kiosk set up with FAMICOM(!) super mario bros. set up. But all copies of the Famicom cart itself was sold out.

Thanks as always. I don't really agree with cvx that Nintendo is doing this on purpose, but I do think the limited supply is going to help hardware Q1. And SW3 just surprises me..I would never have guessed it would comfortably outsell Graces in the end. It could be around 250K or so after next week and probably sputter above 300K depending on supply.

gerg

poppabk said:
I think over holiday seasons, where a significant portion of game sales are gifts, if the game/system isn't available then something else is bought in its place. When the US was having Wii shortages Nintendo ran a rain check program to make sure that they didn't miss out on those gift sales.

Sure, but then these consumers are likely to buy another game-related product. If we agree that there is nothing similarly akin to NSMB Wii on the market, such that people who want a multiplayer sidescroller with a large emphasis on nostalgia would buy such a game when NSMB Wii is not available, then I don't see why (unless I lack expendable money) my demand for NSMB Wii will subside because I couldn't buy it this week.

Bear in mind that people can be patient, especially when the holiday season is over. The people who would have bought NSMB Wii on its eighth or ninth week aren't going to be bothered if they end up having to buy it on its tenth or eleventh week, at least not to the extent that they won't make the purchase.

Vinnk said:
I've heard of intentional shortages, but I THINK IT'S BEEN LONG ENOUGH in this case.

dolemite

Vinnk said:
Went shopping today:

FFXIII for the Japanese is like Halo 3 for the Americans -- will keep pushing the hardware even with used copies.

I'm really happy that at least SW3 is performing decently still, shame about Graces. :(

I do wonder though, I don't recall Graces being bundled with a PRO is it? Is the PRO very popular in Japan? I wonder if there was a PRO bundle for Graces, would've it done better?

Onesimos

Hero of Legend said:
I'm really happy that at least SW3 is performing decently still, shame about Graces. :(

I do wonder though, I don't recall Graces being bundled with a PRO is it? Is the PRO very popular in Japan? I wonder if there was a PRO bundle for Graces, would've it done better?

The Tales of Graces Wii bundle did contain a Classic Controller Pro.

2ib1f2r.jpg

Brofist

Hero of Legend said:

I think it would have done better bundled with a copy of NSMB.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
gerg said:
Sure, but then these consumers are likely to buy another game-related product. If we agree that there is nothing similarly akin to NSMB Wii on the market, such that people who want a multiplayer sidescroller with a large emphasis on nostalgia would buy such a game when NSMB Wii is not available, then I don't see why (unless I lack expendable money) my demand for NSMB Wii will subside because I couldn't buy it this week.
Consumers buying for themselves are likely to buy another gaming related product and may end up getting NSMB:Wii down the line - gift givers are not able to wait. If they can't find NSMB:Wii they may buy one of a hundred different other gifts instead, because they have a specific deadline for the purchase. Constraining shipments during a gift giving holiday is a bad idea.

schuelma

poppabk said:
Consumers buying for themselves are likely to buy another gaming related product and may end up getting NSMB:Wii down the line - gift givers are not able to wait. If they can't find NSMB:Wii they may buy one of a hundred different other gifts instead, because they have a specific deadline for the purchase. Constraining shipments during a gift giving holiday is a bad idea.

The good news for Nintendo is the odds are good they just picked up one of the other 9 Nintendo published games in the top 50.

gerg

poppabk said:

This begs the question of how many of NSMB's purchasers are, and were, gift-givers, one which I don't think I can really answer.

Top Bottom