• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 21 - 27, 2009

schuelma said:
I'm really curious about NSMB Wii sales this coming week and whether there were stock problems. Hopefully we get some numbers tomorrow for the last 2 weeks.

I think that NSMB Wii could be > 500k again this coming week if sufficient supply was here...

NSMB Wii is a must have for Wii owners and should exceed NSMB DS numbers because of multiplayer function...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
oldie-newbie said:
I think that NSMB Wii could be > 500k again this coming week if sufficient supply was here...

NSMB Wii is a must have for Wii owners and should exceed NSMB DS numbers because of multiplayer function...

Oh I agree...but there have been some reports of the game being sold out so I'm wondering if the number will be lower for this week.

duckroll

So PS3 is at ~480k for Dec, with 4 days to go. I suppose the Dec LTD is probably going to be around 500k after all. Not bad for a second place console with only 3 games to have graced the top10 in Dec, and never at the same time.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Bad 360 #.

Still better than PSP Go numbers!

legend166

Total DS numbers: 213,109

Wii still wins! Too bad it has absolutely nothing coming out for the next few months to keep the momentum going.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
sprsk said:
Man, the PSPGo is a serious bomb of legendary proportions.
For that price, failure was never in question. If it's somehow viable for them to carry it even with dismal sales them power to them. If I were them I would sweep it under the rug and let it die. Prep for the PSP succesor.

legend166 said:
Total DS numbers: 213,109

Wii still wins! Too bad it has absolutely nothing coming out for the next few months to keep the momentum going.
NSMB is all it needs for momentum. Of course that doesn't change the lack of consistent game releases though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Second said:
Has MS abandoned Japan? Are there still X360 commercials being aired over there? Just wondering...
They seem to have given up on Japan about the same time they switched management and stated their new goal going forward was profitability.

At that point they had mostly convinced all the major Japanese publishers to make games on their system, and since there is no way in hell they were ever going to get out of last place in the region, they seem to have just given up entirely.

They even had other companies publish their last two Japanese retail exclusives.

Jokeropia

The dominating perfomance Nintendo is putting on here over the holidays kinda softens the blow of a weak Q1. Wii outselling PS3 by more than 100k and having 17 titles in the top 50 compared to 3 for PS3 during what might very well be the biggest weak of the year really is worth a lot.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Nirolak said:
I take it you two mostly follow NPD numbers?

This is mostly normal for Japan.

Actually, the DS has been tracking ahead of the PSP by a considerable amount each week. However, this week they're tracking neck & neck. That's what surprised me.

Edit: Didn't total the entire DS family when I saw the numbers the first time. Seem the DS is still tracking ahead by a good tick.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Vilix said:
Actually, the DS has been tracking ahead of the PSP by a considerable amount each week. However, this week they're tracking neck & neck. That's what surprised me.
Well, you have to consider the DS sales are spread across three systems. It's still doubling the PSP here.

Onesimos

The_lascar said:
Wii 215,129
DSi 113,984
PS3 110,519
PSP 105,801
DSi LL 81,430
DS Lite 17,695
Xbox 360 6,489
PSP go 4,192
PS2 3,747

I see you got the hardware numbers from Media Create's web site which updated a few hours ago. With the hardware numbers posted on the web site, we now know the actual software numbers for the ten best-selling games of 12/21 through 12/27.

Media Create software sales (12/21 – 12/27)

Top30:

01. / 02. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 506,453
02. / 00. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 291,496 NEW
03. / 03. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 226,920 2,317,000
04. / 01. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 188,511
05. / 04. [NDS] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (Pokemon) - 124,704
06. / 05. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 113,909
07. / 06. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2 Fire/Blizzard (Level 5) - 99,175
08. / 11. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 72,355
09. / 12. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 2 (Bandai Namco) - 63,845
10. / 08. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Spirits (Level 5) - 63,549

11. / 07. [WII] PokePark Wii: Picachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.)
12. / 09. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega)
13. / 14. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
14. / 16. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
15. / 13. [NDS] Pen 1 Grand Prix: A Penguin's Trouble Special (Konami)
16. / 18. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
17. / 24. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
18. / 27. [WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson)
19. / 20. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei)
20. / 15. [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai)
21. / 17. [PSP] Naruto: Shippuden Narutimate Accelerator 3 (Namco Bandai)
22. / 22. [NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami)
23. / 25. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai)
24. / 19. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix)
25. / 28. [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
26. / 35. [NDS] Doraemon Baseball 2: Nettou Ultra Stadium (Namco Bandai)
27. / 00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best) (reprint) (Capcom)
28. / 32. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Square Enix)
29. / 00. [PS2] Little Busters! Converted Edition (Prototype)
30. / 30. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade: Bakutan Cyber Pegasus (Hudson)

Jokeropia

Vilix said:
DS more than doubled PSP. You're missing the DSL and DSiLL.

Edit: Haha, beaten twice over.

schuelma

Opiate's prediction might not come true afterall..

Tmac

Nirolak said:
At that point they had mostly convinced all the major Japanese publishers to make games on their system, and since there is no way in hell they were ever going to get out of last place in the region, they seem to have just given up entirely.

Part of the reason they are doing that bad now is due to their errors in the past, close to none japanese titles to start with and early abbandonment of japanese market on their first attemp. The first xbox, despite having a lot less japanese titles, had a much better sales pattern (until m$ screw up).

If they do it again, they should not even bother to release their third (if they do) in japan.

Not a wise dicision at all. Even with the ps3 selling well bellow its predescessors in japan, in a single year it means a 1.5million sales advantage of the 360 in ww numbers.

schuelma

Nirolak said:
Out of curiosity, what are the totals so far?

There's only one week left right?

I think it was around 200K coming into last week.

schuelma

I think I might have picked the Wii highest in December, and I'm going to be low by like 100-150K.

Onesimos

Frillen said:
No MH3 though :(

While Monster Hunter 3 is out of the Top 30 list, the discounted Monster Hunter Freedom Unite continues to make a presence on that list. I had to wonder what would PSP sales be like without it as it seems that it is the only PSP game that broke one million sales in Japan.

jeremy1456 said:
PS3 dropped more than half.

once the FFXIII craze is over I expect it to once more go sub 20k.

It might go sub 20k by next summer, but it has a strong software line-up for the next 3-4 months, so it should float around 25-30k for some time, with a few bumps.

Tmac

jeremy1456 said:

More like 30k-40k

Ps3 is in another level now in japan, 20k averages was when it was in a real bad situation.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
jeremy1456 said:

Not with the games that are on the horizon, unless you're joking. We went through this pre-slim launch too and look where we are. I'm gonna shower and come back to see if you've come to your senses :p

schuelma

Tmac said:
More like 30k-40k

Ps3 is in another level now in japan, 20k averages was when it was in a real bad situation.

Who knows. The Wii did 130K this week last year and was in the 20K range in January. (yes, I know the software releases were crap, but I don't see any huge hitters for PS3 until March).

Tmac said:
More like 30k-40k

Nah, 20k average would be a big improvement over what the PS3 was averaging for a while. It was under 10k consistently in 2008 (I think that's the right year).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jeremy1456 said:

If the PS3 actually ends up with a sub 20k baseline in Q1 with the line-up they have they have I'll agree with those people who were ranting that consoles are forever dead in Japan and are completely unsalvageable.

I mean, seriously, turning back to stuff like 15k-18k a week with around 10 games at least that people will want to buy is just terrible.

jeremy1456

schuelma said:
Who knows. The Wii did 130K this week last year and was in the 20K range in January. (yes, I know the software releases were crap, but I don't see any huge hitters for PS3 until March).

And as far as I remember the Wii's boost was not related to a game that sold 180k this week last year that, in the next few weeks, will completely nosedive off the charts.

test_account

XP-39C²
Pretty good sales for the PS3 in December 2009 indeed :) If the PS3 sold about 480K in December, that means that the PS3 sold about 10% of it's LTD in one month, and the PS3 has been on the market for about 3 years now.

For what it is worth, i wonder if the PS3 will end up being the best selling 2nd place console in Japan. Isnt the best selling 2nd place console in Japan the PC-Engine or Sega Mega Drive at around 5.5 million units sold or so?

Pretty good sales for the Wii in December 2009 as well :) I wonder how big of an impact New Super Mario Bros Wii had on the hardware sales. I guess that it had a big impact, but i wonder how high the Wii hardware sales would have been in December 2009 if NSMB Wii wasnt released. NSMB Wii is a pretty good game in my opinion, so i fully understand why many people wants and buys this game :)

After seeing these high Wii hardware sales, i wonder how 3rd parties will react to it if the Wii will see more 3rd party software support. The Wii is about 3 years old now, is it too late for the 3rd party to put big-titled games on the Wii or is it still time? I guess that there are at least 2 years left of this console generation, so i guess that there is still time :)

And good DS and PSP sales (maybe not the PSP Go though hehe) as well :)

EDIT: In afterthought, since i wondered how the Wii hardware sales would have been in December 2009 without the release of New Super Mario Brothers Wii, i also wonder how the PS3 hardware sales would have been in December 2009 if Final Fantasy XIII wasnt released :)

Jokeropia

With next week's sales, Wii will end up closer to PSP in yearly totals than PS3 will to Wii. How likely did that seem a few months (or even a month) ago?

Top Bottom