• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 21 - 27, 2009

Chris1964 said:
Next week releases (07/01/10)

[PSP] Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Square Enix) - 09/01/10

[NDS] James Cameron's Avatar: The Game (Ubisoft)

[PS3] James Cameron's Avatar: The Game (Ubisoft)

[360] James Cameron's Avatar: The Game (Ubisoft)

Kingdom Hearts sent to die.

Kenka said:
I guess you're new to those threads. 20 M+ is extremely unlikely. Nobody has succeeded in breaking the bar during the last 14 years except Nintendo. And only three titles did so : Nintendogs, Wii Play and Wii Fit.

If you want, you can count Wii Sports as well.

According to Lascar's website, Poké Gold/Silver LTD sales are 6.09 M.

No, not new to this thread. I'm talking worldwide sales for nsmb wii, and yes, I think it's definitely within reach. We'll see...

Michan said:
Week four of Mario domination.

1262317990-mario_311209.png

Week 3: Week 2: Week 1:

It's just stunning to see how quickly NSMB Wii is moving up the chart, the games are falling like dominoes! :D

I guess you're new to those threads. 20 M+ is extremely unlikely. Nobody has succeeded in breaking the bar during the last 14 years except Nintendo. And only three titles did so : Nintendogs, Wii Play and Wii Fit.

If you want, you can count Wii Sports as well.

According to Lascar's website, Poké Gold/Silver LTD sales are 6.09 M.

Didn't Mario Kart Wii and DS manage it as well? And I'm sure that NSMB DS is around the same mark...

Nuclear Muffin said:
Didn't Mario Kart Wii and DS manage it as well? And I'm sure that NSMB DS is around the same mark...

I don't remember offhand without looking at their financial statements, but I'm pretty sure these were both 20+ million sellers. If not these titles, certainly other Nintendo titles have hit 20+ million worldwide.

gumshoe said:
What is the worldwide LTD for NSMBWii???

Well, here's what we have so far:

Japan = 2.44 mil
US = 1.39 mil (Nov) + Dec (I'm going to guess 2 mil for Dec - we'll find out on 1/14)
Europe and other areas in the world = 2 mil + ?

Assuming my guesses are even remotely close, you're looking at close to 8 million right now.

Shiggy

Does anyone still have sales numbers for G-Gadget's Jet Impulse? The title was published in 2007, I believe.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create
[NDS] Jet Impulse (Nintendo) - 5.000 / 7.800

Famitsu
[NDS] Jet Impulse (Nintendo) - 4.300 / 4.300

Shiggy

Chris1964 said:
Media Create
[NDS] Jet Impulse (Nintendo) - 5.000 / 7.800

Famitsu
[NDS] Jet Impulse (Nintendo) - 4.300 / 4.300

Thanks!
Those were worse than expected. :(
Do you know whether G-Gadget/Gevo Entertainment has done any other projects since then?

Brofist

schuelma said:
You would think that in Japan at least Nintendo would have saved a bigger shipment for after Christmas. In N.A I wouldn't be at all surprised if they just ran out in an effort to get as many copies out there before the 25th.
Well seeing how most stores not only have it, but it's on sale too, there must be stock

markatisu

kpop100 said:
Well seeing how most stores not only have it, but it's on sale too, there must be stock

Thats now though, two weeks before Christmas there appeared to be a massive shortage in NA with Amazon telling people it would be 2 weeks and other stores like Best Buy and Gamestop online selling out till their restock came in within 1-2 days wait time.

Only in the few days before Christmas and the big sale post Christmas did you see stores say NSMB Wii $39.99?!?!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
kpop100 said:

Talking about Japan I assume?

Brofist

schuelma said:
bommmmbbbbaa
Heh, well it's not a NSMB thing, most popular games are on sale this week. Probably to keep the sales momentum from December. Point being you don't put something on sale you don't have though :D

swerve

kpop100 said:
Heh, well it's not a NSMB thing, most popular games are on sale this week. Probably to keep the sales momentum from December. Point being you don't put something on sale you don't have though :D

NSMB is sold out in most of my local stores just outside Kyoto - Joshin, Furuhon Ichiba, Geo... I doubt it'll be sold out for long, but it's certainly not in plentiful supply right now.

donny2112

Chris1964 said:
The big problem is Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow but this is Famitsu's fault.
What Captain Smoker can change is the number for Gold/Silver/Crystal.
He should decombine Gold/Silver from Crystal as we have seperate numbers for them.

Captain Smoker is combining International releases and BEST re-releases wherever possible in his list. I'm all for separating games, but I'm also all for not including International and BEST re-releases with the original version.

If Captain Smoker's list is going to combine games, then let it combine games. Gold/Silver with Crystal. Diamond/Pearl with Platinum. Ruby/Sapphire with Emerald. If we don't have a choice with R/B/G/Y, continue on with it to make the comparisons equal.

If the list is going to start separating games, then separate games. Pull out BEST re-releases. Pull out International Editions. Pull out separate Pokemon totals wherever we can. It doesn't make sense to do rampant combining on some games and then attempt to separate others that are combined by the sales tracker.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I notice Final Fantasy XII's number doesn't include International Zodiac Job System, though maybe that's intentional since it's a bit more than just a rerelease.

No, I think it was just an oversight. I mentioned that to him the last time he posted the list.

Dalthien

donny2112 said:
If the list is going to start separating games, then separate games. Pull out BEST re-releases. Pull out International Editions. Pull out separate Pokemon totals wherever we can. It doesn't make sense to do rampant combining on some games and then attempt to separate others that are combined by the sales tracker.
The problem is that there are tons of games released in Japan with multiple versions. All kinds of stuff gets released on launch day with Limited Editions, Special Editions, what have you. From the first-day leaks that we get, many of these games even launch with the Limited Edition version shipping with more copies than the regular/standard editions. But we never receive separate sales totals for any of these games, so all of these titles are combined in our sales charts.

I honestly don't see any difference with these limited/special edition releases, and something like Pokemon, or Inazuma Eleven, or Mega Man Star Force, or Nintendogs, etc. where the title ships with two or three different versions of the same game. So it doesn't make any sense to separate the Pokemons, etc. when we combine all of the Limited Editions for all of the countless other games in the lists.

It gets trickier when we get into Best Price releases, etc. where the same game is released at a later date than the original release. Generally, we always get separate tracking data for the re-release of a game (Famitsu's 'Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros.' is the only case where I remember the totals of a re-release being combined with the original release - and in that case it was hard to tell if it was actually a full-fledged new release, or just a new shipment of the same game after a huge delay between shipments).

Combining re-releases with the original releases makes it easy to see how many copies of the game has sold overall, but if they are going to be combined in a chart, then there should be some sort of sidenote or footnote or something in the chart making it clear that multiple releases are being combined, and clearly listing the separate totals for each release that make up the combined total.

kswiston

I don't see why you would separate regular and best versions of a title. International versions I can see. Those are often heavily modified from the original title, but best editions are exactly the same other than the price.

Personally I would just keep the Pokemon titles combined. No need to kick 4-5 games out of the All Time top 50 list in favour of even more Pokemon.

Vinnk

kpop100 said:

4000yen? Can I get a link? One of my friends really needs a copy of this game and it is hard to find here at any discount (or at all). 4000yen is a steal even with shipping. Unless it is a mom and pop they should have an online store. The price has held at all the stores around here and all the online stores I frequent, places like amazon and tsutaya.

swerve

Vinnk said:
4000yen? The price has held at all the stores around here and all the online stores I frequent, places like amazon and tsutaya.

Still 4,900 in my local Sofmap, too.

MH3, on the other hand, is 2000 yen today (and 4000 with classic pro).

Brofist

Vinnk said:
4000yen? Can I get a link? One of my friends really needs a copy of this game and it is hard to find here at any discount (or at all). 4000yen is a steal even with shipping. Unless it is a mom and pop they should have an online store. The price has held at all the stores around here and all the online stores I frequent, places like amazon and tsutaya.

Oops I'm a total idiot, it was the DS games that was 3900, Wii version is regular price.

Brofist

swerve said:
NSMB is sold out in most of my local stores just outside Kyoto - Joshin, Furuhon Ichiba, Geo... I doubt it'll be sold out for long, but it's certainly not in plentiful supply right now.

It was in stock in Den Den. Can't say how many copies but it could be purchased.

donny2112 said:
Captain Smoker is combining International releases and BEST re-releases wherever possible in his list. I'm all for separating games, but I'm also all for not including International and BEST re-releases with the original version.
Actually, I'm seperating the games wherever possible (Top50 is seperated too). ^^

Yellow & Crystal are not seperated because I didn't search for these numbers, that's the only reason. xD

I can make two charts, one with combined versions, the other without, should be the best. :)

Vinnk

kpop100 said:
Oops I'm a total idiot, it was the DS games that was 3900, Wii version is regular price.

:(

Thought that was too good to be true. Nice to see it selling well though. Played it for 3 hours yesterday with my sister and friend. Only beat 5 level in all that time (we were way more focused on killing each other), don't think I have laughed so hard while playing a game in years.

donny2112

Captain Smoker said:
Actually, I'm seperating the games wherever possible (Top50 is seperated too). ^^

For the new chart? Cool. :)

Captain Smoker said:
Yellow & Crystal are not seperated because I didn't search for these numbers, that's the only reason. xD

Yellow will be an issue as Famitsu has magical jumps in R/B/G and then also a magical jump to get to R/B/G/Y. Just pulling out Yellow's LTD from R/B/G/Y may not be sufficient. :p

Captain Smoker said:
I can make two charts, one with combined versions, the other without, should be the best. :)

Thanks! :)

donny2112

More near-baseless speculation time:

When this was done before, the idea that Nintendo was holding back games for Motion+ was the logical conclusion. We all know how that worked out! :lol

Japan:

Wii -
2010:
SMG2 - April
Vitality Sensor with "game" - Summer
Metroid: Other M - August
Fall - Confluence of medium games. New Wario Ware (for WiiBo), Pikmin 3, a few other small games.
2011:
Fall - Launch of Wii 2 (360+ power with much easier porting makeup for third-party games; CCPro, Wiimote+Motion+(integrated), Nunchuk, and some other thing (e.g. camera) standard; Zelda Wii is launch title again; Evolution, not revolution)

DS -
DS2 launch in Spring 2011 (Backwards compatible with DS only; On-board storage for Handheld VC downloads; Tegra?; Evolution, not revolution)

U.S.:

Wii -
2010:
SMG2 - August
Metroid: Other M - Fall
Vitality Sensor - Fall

2011:
Spring/Summer - The medium games from Fall 2010 in Japan.
Fall - Launch of Wii 2

DS -
DS2 launch in Summer 2011

schuelma

I think Wii will get an upgrade this Spring in Japan but it won't involve higher specs.

What I'm curious about is the Sony Wand- its coming out in the Spring right? I imagine we'd hear more soon and get an idea of how serious Sony is.

Oxx

I still think a 'Wii 2' at this point is a bad idea unless Nintendo are adamant that they can't do anything further with the current technology. And even then they would still be much better off just making games for the current Wii.

near

Gold Member
schuelma said:
I think Wii will get an upgrade this Spring in Japan but it won't involve higher specs.

What I'm curious about is the Sony Wand- its coming out in the Spring right? I imagine we'd hear more soon and get an idea of how serious Sony is.

RE5 Alternate Edition is coming 18th February, so if they plan on pimping out their motional controller, it should happen within the next few weeks in Japan is my guess.

schuelma

+Aliken+ said:
What about the hardware numbers?

I think in this case they come Monday or Tuesday night, followed by the current weeks numbers at the regular Thursday night time.

gerg

A much belated Happy New Years to all the Sales-Agers. I have been in France without access to the internet, and only an AZERTY keyboard when I did manage to get on a computer.

ethelred

donny2112 said:
When this was done before, the idea that Nintendo was holding back games for Motion+ was the logical conclusion. We all know how that worked out! :lol

It never was the logical conclusion, even then, and people said so at the time.

schuelma said:
I think in this case they come Monday or Tuesday night, followed by the current weeks numbers at the regular Thursday night time.

So many numbers this week, so little time to discuss them :D

What will be the difference between Wii and PS3 hardware numbers for last week ?

> 50 k ? > 100k ? >150k ?

VegaShinra

oldie-newbie said:

What will be the difference between Wii and PS3 hardware numbers for last week ?

I expect Wii sales to be higher than Ps3 this week. Like FF13 sales, PS3 hardware will drop a lot.

schuelma

oldie-newbie said:

I'm going to guess a 65-75K difference.

schuelma said:

I could see a Wii with more internal storage (2GB or so), but what else? Pack-in Motion Plus and a Classic Controller Pro, I would imagine. Though would that do much for sales?

Still, releasing a new Wii before late 2011 sounds like a bad idea. And DS2 should be released then, leaving Wii2 for 2012.

schuelma

I'm really curious about NSMB Wii sales this coming week and whether there were stock problems. Hopefully we get some numbers tomorrow for the last 2 weeks.

gerg

If we see a Wii redesign, I imagine it will be more akin to a console "relaunch" that is heavy on newer branding as opposed to newer features. I didn't think it would be worth taking out the GC components, but cvxfreak's comments about the fact that the Wii's sales will, at some point, eclipse those of total possible GC controller sales makes me think it more likely that Nintendo would do so.

In any case, we've yet to receive hardware numbers for the week after FF XIII's launch, right?

schuelma

gerg said:
In any case, we've yet to receive hardware numbers for the week after FF XIII's launch, right?

Correct. I think last year we actually got MC numbers on time but in 2007 we had to wait until the next Tuesday (i.e two more days). Grrr

[Nintex]

gerg said:
If we see a Wii redesign, I imagine it will be more akin to a console "relaunch" that is heavy on newer branding as opposed to newer features. I didn't think it would be worth taking out the GC components, but cvxfreak's comments about the fact that the Wii's sales will, at some point, eclipse those of total possible GC controller sales makes me think it more likely that Nintendo would do so.

I think with the New Play Control! releases Nintendo found a way to make up for the removal of the backwards compatability if they ever need to.

Somnid

If Nintendo does upgrade the Wii I fully expect GCN support to get axed. The cost reduction isn't much but they still gain more than they lose since GCN support does virtually nothing for them in terms of perceived value anymore. Especially the drive would come down in price and improve in reliability if it only needs to handle one size disc. There's other hints like the fact that the Wii Menu wasn't navigable with the GCN controller, they were probably trying to pull away from it.

New Play Control! titles and the Classic Controller Pro also reduce the importance of GCN support. Like the DSi dropping GBA support it's just unnecessary to keep it going.

Top Bottom