• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 11 - 17, 2010

Cosmonaut X said:
Heh, it's nearly done it. Wonder whether it will be trumpeted by Capcom/Nintendo or just quietly acknowledged. It's certainly taken a while to get there, and the initial overshipment and subsequent price cuts obviously helped, but I think it's worth talking about - first third party million seller on a Nintendo console in, what, 10 years? More?

I think it hindered it just as much as it helped primarily because of what version they overshipped. However, it is nonetheless gonna be the first million seller in Japan for a third party on a Nintendo home console since what seems like forever.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I doubt we'll hear any sort of P.R for MH Tri. Unless we get a news item from Famitsu I imagine we'll get the official word the next time there is a Wii Top 20..or maybe it will stay in the top 50 for 3 more weeks and we'll continue to get this super awesome leak.

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:
FFXIII is going to struggle to haul its carcass over 1.9 million at this rate.

The FF teams really need to have a pow-wow with the DQ guys about curbing the used market, because the contrast here is just scary.

I dunno if it'll do any good. I mean, the DQ remake ports on the DS don't really do anything to curb the used market at all, and they had no problem selling over a million each. FFIV on the DS is a much more substantial remake than either DQIV or DQV on the DS, and yet it just barely crawled over 600k.

duckroll said:
Didn't Capcom send out a press release when it launched announcing over a million units shipped? I don't think they'll want to put out another one just because they've actually sold that after 5 months. It might be of interest to people like us, but I don't think it serves any real purpose to Capcom.

Mm. I was thinking perhaps more in terms of whether Nintendo would consider a milestone like this worth mentioning, but perhaps you're right - any value in saying "this game has done X well" was already gained from the initial shipment announcement.

duckroll

Maybe they'll have a press release announcing Monster Hunter Tri G, and mention how it's the follow-up to the million-selling smash hit on the Wii. :p

ElFly

Cosmonaut X said:
Heh, it's nearly done it. Wonder whether it will be trumpeted by Capcom/Nintendo or just quietly acknowledged. It's certainly taken a while to get there, and the initial overshipment and subsequent price cuts obviously helped, but I think it's worth talking about - first third party million seller on a Nintendo console in, what, 10 years? More?

Didn't Capcom already announce they had sold a million copies of MH3? (I guess it was shipped)

Segata Sanshiro said:
FFXIII is going to struggle to haul its carcass over 1.9 million at this rate.

The FF teams really need to have a pow-wow with the DQ guys about curbing the used market, because the contrast here is just scary.

I wonder what can they do.

Everyone says that home broadband adoption is low in japan. So DLC would be a hard sell.

Local multiplayer would be weird for the franchise, even more if they remain on consoles.

Post game content? I guess that multiple endings ala Chrono Trigger would be the best, but even that will be quickly consumed.

ElFly said:
Didn't Capcom already announce they had sold a million copies of MH3? (I guess it was shipped)

I wonder what can they do.

Everyone says that home broadband adoption is low in japan. So DLC would be a hard sell.

Local multiplayer would be weird for the franchise, even more if they remain on consoles.

Post game content? I guess that multiple endings ala Chrono Trigger would be the best, but even that will be quickly consumed.
Well, looking at DQ9:

- multiplayer
- post-game content that is trickled out via free dlc and is pretty much longer than the regular story while adding to the story
- being able to dress up your character with visible changes and show that character to other people
- having some kind of sharable content, even if it's just bonus maps or shop items

Not sure how this stuff could work for FF, but the series is dying, so they really need to do a hard re-think about how they're approaching things. Or just let it die and work on something else, I guess.

duckroll said:
Maybe they'll have a press release announcing Monster Hunter Tri G, and mention how it's the follow-up to the million-selling smash hit on the Wii. :p

Heh - another prediction from NeoGAF's own MonHunstradamus? ;-)

Celine said:
The first after Dragon Quest VI (12/20/1995) :D

Wow - didn't realise it had been that long.

Celine

Cosmonaut X said:
The first after Dragon Quest VI ( 12/20/1995) :D

ElFly

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, looking at DQ9:

- multiplayer
- post-game content that is trickled out via free dlc and is pretty much longer than the regular story while adding to the story
- being able to dress up your character with visible changes and show that character to other people
- having some kind of sharable content, even if it's just bonus maps or shop items

Not sure how this stuff could work for FF, but the series is dying, so they really need to do a hard re-think about how they're approaching things. Or just let it die and work on something else, I guess.

How is the DQ9 DLC distributed?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, looking at DQ9:

- multiplayer

All that stuff is hard to do with the focus on cinematics that Final Fantasy has. Even DQ VIII had little cinematics, it had everything in real-time. Yet, the focus on cinematics is what lead to the height of Final Fantasy's popularity.

I don't see anyway that Final Fantasy can reverse it's downward trend.

Kishgal

Banned
ElFly said:
How is the DQ9 DLC distributed?
Via WFC. But I think the DLC is actually already on the cart, and they just unlock it gradually. I seem to remember seeing a hack that unlocked everything.

Kishgal said:
Via WFC. But I think the DLC is actually already on the cart, and they just unlock it gradually. I seem to remember seeing a hack that unlocked everything.
This is correct. You just have to connect via WFC by talking to a character in the Inn in a particular town. You also get some random shop items by connecting each day, and occasionally you will even get special guest characters visiting with items and tasks for you just by connecting to the WFC.

But it is all already on the cart, it's just unlock keys basically.

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:

I dunno if I can really agree that it is "dying" at all. It's just not as big as DQ. If FF is dying, then almost everything else is already dead. :p

mugurumakensei said:
All that stuff is hard to do with the focus on cinematics that Final Fantasy has. Even DQ VIII had little cinematics, it had everything in real-time. Yet, the focus on cinematics is what lead to the height of Final Fantasy's popularity.

Fewer spin-off titles?

Would Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince have been as successful if the previous couple of years had seen Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix International Edition, Harry Potter VERSUS, Legends of Quidditch and Harry Potter Gaiden released? Or would these lesser titles poison the well for future main releases?

Opiate

mugurumakensei said:

I agree. I don't think cinematic-driven games are positioned well to adapt to the current market place. They can stop being cinematic-driven, but as you said, in many cases it was that approach which made them popular in the first place.

I've mentioned this before, but it's extremely difficult to abandon principles which were once enormous succesful, but are now hurting you. On a conscious or unconscious level, it becomes extremely difficult to believe that the very attribute which rocketed you to stardom is the same attribute which is causing your demise.

Celine

duckroll said:
I dunno if it'll do any good. I mean, the DQ remake ports on the DS don't really do anything to curb the used market at all, and they had no problem selling over a million each. FFIV on the DS is a much more substantial remake than either DQIV or DQV on the DS, and yet it just barely crawled over 600k.
Must be the difference in the source material then :D

duckroll said:
I dunno if I can really agree that it is "dying" at all. It's just not as big as DQ. If FF is dying, then almost everything else is already dead. :p
I would say if you are consistently declining, you are dying.

The budget increases with each installment and the sales go down. This is a trend four games deep at this point, and I'd say it's past the point of ignoring. Sure, Square can just cruise and be happy it's still selling lots of copies now, but it would be probably be more wise to figure out how to turn around its decline.

duckroll

4WoL had visible equipment, multiplayer, optional random dungeon, lots of various design quirks tailored to attract the DQ crowd. Not only did it fail to attract more users, it didn't even successfully attract many FF users. It's not like S-E isn't experimenting with different approaches to FF, but ultimately the most successful FF games are still the ones which stay true to the modern formula - great graphics, looks really flashy, tons of cutscenes, Nomura designs. Crisis Core, Dissidia and FFXIII are the biggest successes for the FF brand since FFIII DS. I would say given the sales of FFIV and 4WoL, FFIII is an anomaly as opposed to a recipe for success.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
duckroll said:
Top10

NSMBW - 115k
VC2 - 101k
Nanoha - 76k
Friend - 56k
BbS - 54k
WiiFit+ - 33k
DSC - 18k
WSR - 16k
MHP2G - 14k
Pokemon - 14k

Other titles:

PSP2 - 9.8k
Last Window - 8.6k
FFXIII - 7.5k
Batman PS3 - 2.8k

Tales of Graces out of top50, < 2.4k
That's nice to see.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Road said:
Chris,

I ran across this MC data for Wii and PS3. It's old, but it might have figures for unimportant games that may not be in your database yet.
Thanks again. By the way can you do a search and find those old Media Create top 30 from psx.ign you had pointed to me a couple of days ago?
Updating the Famitsu database is taking all my time and I have left old Media Create data a little behind.
If Media Create database was GT5P the combined Media Create / Famitsu I'll post later this year will be GT5.

duckroll said:
4WoL had visible equipment, multiplayer, optional random dungeon, lots of various design quirks tailored to attract the DQ crowd. Not only did it fail to attract more users, it didn't even successfully attract many FF users. It's not like S-E isn't experimenting with different approaches to FF, but ultimately the most successful FF games are still the ones which stay true to the modern formula - great graphics, looks really flashy, tons of cutscenes, Nomura designs. Crisis Core, Dissidia and FFXIII are the biggest successes for the FF brand since FFIII DS. I would say given the sales of FFIV and 4WoL, FFIII is an anomaly as opposed to a recipe for success.
Then I suppose it will die.

Opiate

duckroll said:

I think that's why many of us have stated that SE is stuck. They can't change the formula: the FF fanbase is very well established at this point and has specific, rigid tastes. But pushing forward in this manner seems to lead to a gradually ebbing fanbase.

So they have a choice between likely total collapse (drastically changing the formula) and gradually eroding but predictable sales. They've got two bad choices -- although they're clearly preferring the latter, as most companies would.

What good solution is there to such a problem? I don't see one.

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:
I would say if you are consistently declining, you are dying.

The budget increases with each installment and the sales go down. This is a trend four games deep at this point, and I'd say it's past the point of ignoring. Sure, Square can just cruise and be happy it's still selling lots of copies now, but it would be probably be more wise to figure out how to turn around its decline.

While I agree that in terms of brand preservation they should be looking into how to either revitalize interest in the brand, or to engage fans in a more meaningful way moving forward, I completely disagree that it is DYING. Many high selling franchises which peaked at the PS1 or PS2 era have shrunk considerably. Decline happens, but that does not mean the franchise is pretty much done for.

Resident Evil, Gran Turismo, Minna no Golf, Winning Eleven, etc have all seen huge declines. The baseline for each new entry is much lower than the peak. Yet I don't think we can really say that these franchises will be disappearing soon. They're still strong brands, still being tapped regularly, just simply making less money than they did at their prime.

I'm not disagreeing that if S-E is smart they'll try harder to do something about it before it gets much worse over the years, but I just think saying that it is dying is really a dumb exaggeration.

ElFly

Is there a big overlap between the DQ fanbase and the Pokemon fanbase?

I was thinking how rare was that both games had the whole battles told via a text screen. My guess is that it makes RPG battles more accessible to casual gamers.

duckroll said:
While I agree that in terms of brand preservation they should be looking into how to either revitalize interest in the brand, or to engage fans in a more meaningful way moving forward, I completely disagree that it is DYING. Many high selling franchises which peaked at the PS1 or PS2 era have shrunk considerably. Decline happens, but that does not mean the franchise is pretty much done for.

Resident Evil, Gran Turismo, Minna no Golf, Winning Eleven, etc have all seen huge declines. The baseline for each new entry is much lower than the peak. Yet I don't think we can really say that these franchises will be disappearing soon. They're still strong brands, still being tapped regularly, just simply making less money than they did at their prime.

I'm not disagreeing that if S-E is smart they'll try harder to do something about it before it gets much worse over the years, but I just think saying that it is dying is really a dumb exaggeration.
This isn't a situation where all the recent titles are just lower than the peak. It is a situation where since the peak, the sales have decreased consistently from title to title. If you chart it on a graph, it's a downward slope with no bottom in sight. If we get an FF that pulls its nose up above the previous installment, I'll take my words back, because at least then it will have found its bottom. Right now, it's dying. You think that's a dumb exaggeration, that's fine. I call it pretty much the textbook definition of dying.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu (up to 24/01/10)
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|    |     [NDS] NSMB    |[WII] Mario Galaxy |  [WII] NSMB Wii   |       difference      |
|    |     (25/05/06)    |    (01/11/07)     |     (03/12/09)    |                       |
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|-----------|-----------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |NSMBW-NSMB | NSMBW-SMG |
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|-----------|-----------|
|  1 |  865.024|  865.024|  256.431|  256.431|  936.734|  936.734|     71.710|    680.393|
|  2 |  315.197|1.180.221|   78.439|  334.690|  464.824|1.401.558|    221.337|  1.066.868|
|  3 |  242.932|1.423.153|   43.317|  378.007|  570.512|1.972.070|    548.917|  1.594.063|
|  4 |  204.007|1.627.160|   37.484|  415.491|  513.080|2.485.150|    857.990|  2.069.659|
|  5 |  169.852|1.797.012|   36.354|  451.845|  255.494|2.740.644|    943.632|  2.288.799|
|  6 |  153.047|1.950.009|   48.750|  500.595|  128.503|2.869.147|    919.088|  2.368.552|
|  7 |  132.375|2.082.434|   70.541|  571.136|  133.606|3.002.753|    920.319|  2.431.617|
|  8 |  120.220|2.202.654|  109.029|  680.165|  115.700|3.118.400|    915.746|  2.438.235|
|  9 |  146.837|2.349.491|   67.519|  747.684|         |         |           |           |
| 10 |  114.471|2.463.962|   62.017|  809.701|         |         |           |           |
| 11 |  103.008|2.566.970|   17.617|  827.318|         |         |           |           |
| 12 |  119.991|2.686.961|   16.643|  843.961|         |         |           |           |
| 13 |  115.335|2.802.296|    9.056|  853.017|         |         |           |           |
| 14 |   66.336|2.868.632|    7.234|  860.251|         |         |           |           |
| 15 |   72.235|2.940.867|    6.344|  866.595|         |         |           |           |
| 16 |   51.643|2.992.510|    5.868|  872.463|         |         |           |           |
| 17 |   52.070|3.044.580|    4.357|  876.820|         |         |           |           |
| 18 |   54.595|3.099.175|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| 19 |   51.541|3.150.716|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| 20 |   37.678|3.188.394|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| 21 |   39.915|3.228.309|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| 22 |   30.564|3.258.873|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| 23 |   33.482|3.292.355|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| 24 |   31.940|3.324.295|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| 25 |   26.939|3.351.234|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| 26 |   23.777|3.375.011|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| 27 |   32.086|3.407.097|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| 28 |   28.132|3.435.229|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| 29 |   45.298|3.480.527|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| 30 |   72.194|3.552.721|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| 31 |  185.021|3.737.742|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| 32 |   80.472|3.818.214|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
|Year|   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |NSMBW-NSMB | NSMBW-SMG |
|  1 |3.818.214|3.818.214|  747.684|  747.684|2.485.150|2.485.150| -1.333.064|  1.737.466|
|  2 |1.176.939|4.995.153|  197.442|  945.106|  633.250|3.118.400| -1.876.753|  2.173.294|
|  3 |  377.034|5.372.187|   19.308|  964.414|         |         |           |           |
|  4 |  287.399|5.659.586|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
|  5 |   42.513|5.711.100|        -|        -|         |         |           |           |
| LTD|        -|5.711.100|        -|  964.414|        -|3.118.400| -2.592.700|  2.153.986|
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Mario Galaxy LTD is up to 12/07/09

01. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - / 6.810.000
02. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 865.024 / 5.711.100
03. [NGB] Super Mario Land (Nintendo) - / 4.190.000
04. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nintendo) - / 3.840.000
05. [SFC] Super Mario World (Nintendo) - / 3.550.000
06. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 936.734 / 3.118.400
07. [NGB] Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (Nintendo) - / 2.700.000
08. [NFC] Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) - / 2.650.000
09. [SFC] Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Nintendo) - / 1.770.000
10. [N64] Super Mario 64 (Nintendo) - 162.111 / 1.639.921
11. [NFC] Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - / 1.630.000
12. [NGB] Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (Nintendo) - / 1.590.000
13. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - 256.431 / 964.414
14. [GCN] Super Mario Sunshine (Nintendo) - 280.610 / 789.989

Road

But was the cinematic approach that made FF more popular in Japan?

VII was so different from VI that the "simple" fact it was 3D compared to 2D may have been a bigger impact to the series than whatever intentions they had and approach they used. Since then, being "cinematic" has only granted lower and lower sales with each new entry.

I know the first release of VIII sold more than VII.

ElFly said:
Is there a big overlap between the DQ fanbase and the Pokemon fanbase?

I was thinking how rare was that both games had the whole battles told via a text screen. My guess is that it makes RPG battles more accessible to casual gamers.
Well, by nature of them being the #1 and #2 RPG franchises in the country, there's certain to be quite a bit of overlap, but I'm not sure if I'd conclude the text screens in battle are the reason why.

Opiate

Segata Sanshiro said:
This isn't a situation where all the recent titles are just lower than the peak. It is a situation where since the peak, the sales have decreased consistently from title to title. If you chart it on a graph, it's a downward slope with no bottom in sight. If we get an FF that pulls its nose up above the previous installment, I'll take my words back, because at least then it will have found its bottom. Right now, it's dying. You think that's a dumb exaggeration, that's fine. I call it pretty much the textbook definition of dying.

And as you said, the cost of production has presumably increased every time. I'm imagining a graph that has cost and revenue charted over the last decade, with revenue gradually declining and cost gradually increasing. They almost certainly haven't intersected yet, but we're clearly headed in that direction right now.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Segata Sanshiro said:
FF is definetely slowing down but XII>X-2

Baki

Segata Sanshiro said:

They could pull a Dragon Quest and put the next mainline Final Fantasy on a portable (add in local co-op) and see what that does for the franchise. But that may be risky. :lol

Baki said:
They could pull a Dragon Quest and put the next mainline Final Fantasy on a portable (add in local co-op) and see what that does for the franchise. But that may be risky. :lol
Unless the next round of portables have a lot more horsepower, I don't think that would work out well for them. It would be interesting to see the results of a full-featured, full-effort FF title on the PSP though. It would probably do really well.

ElFly

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, by nature of them being the #1 and #2 RPG franchises in the country, there's certain to be quite a bit of overlap, but I'm not sure if I'd conclude the text screens in battle are the reason why.

I know it's just a small detail, but it's so weird.

On the FF dying topic, it remains to be seen how it does worldwide. If it's able to get the brand growing, then SE may be ok with letting the series die in japan, to see it grow everywhere else. It could happen, particularly how it's a multiplatform title now.

ksamedi

Even Wada kind of admitted that he wasn't pleased by the FF sales by stating that the FF team should try something new with the series.

Celine

Road said:
But was the cinematic approach that made FF more popular on Japan?

VII was so different from VI that the "simple" fact it was 3D compared to 2D may have been a bigger impact to the series than whatever intentions they had and approach they used. Since then, being "cinematic" has only granted lower and lower sales with each new entry.

I know the first release of VIII sold more than VII.
The never seen before presentation was what made FF VII so popular.
There isn't really that much 3D gameplay in it but the experience resembled an anime in a kind of way that wasn't possible on cartridge console.

ElFly said:
I know it's just a small detail, but it's so weird.

On the FF dying topic, it remains to be seen how it does worldwide. If it's able to get the brand growing, then SE may be ok with letting the series die in japan. It could happen, particularly how it's a multiplatform title now.
Yes, we definitely need to see how it performs worldwide. I have a bad feeling about NA, though. It seems like hostile territory these days.

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:

So is RE dying too?

RE2 PS1 - 2.1 million
RE3 PS1 - 1.3 million
RECV DC+PS2 - 740k
RE4 GC+PS2 - 675k
RE5 PS3+360 - 590k

If you agree RE is dying. Then yes, FF is dying in the same way.

Road

Chris1964 said:
Thanks again. By the way can you do a search and find those old Media Create top 30 from psx.ign you had pointed to me a couple of days ago?
Updating the Famitsu database is taking all my time and I have left old Media Create data a little behind.
If Media Create database was GT5P the combined Media Create / Famitsu I'll post later this year will be GT5.
You're welcome. I'm just trying to leech your database work. haha

I'll look at the IGN pages when I get home. I think I saved the links.

duckroll said:
So is RE dying too?

RE2 PS1 - 2.1 million
RE3 PS1 - 1.3 million
RECV DC+PS2 - 740k
RE4 GC+PS2 - 675k
RE5 PS3+360 - 590k

If you agree RE is dying. Then yes, FF is dying in the same way.

Thing is none of those cost near the amount FF XIII costs, and new entries in Final Fantasy will likely cost just as much if not more. I'd be surprised if RE5 even matched FF XII's costs.

We could talk about it in the sense that we're all dying - we're gradually wearing our bodies out second by second, minute by minute, hour by hour, etc - but I don't think that would be too useful.

Top Bottom