• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 11 - 17, 2010

duckroll said:
So is RE dying too?

RE2 PS1 - 2.1 million
RE3 PS1 - 1.3 million
RECV DC+PS2 - 740k
RE4 GC+PS2 - 675k
RE5 PS3+360 - 590k

If you agree RE is dying. Then yes, FF is dying in the same way.
Yes, I do. I was pretty clear with my definition, I thought. Though the Wii version *does* tip RE4 above CV. I still think it's a franchise in trouble, though.

duckroll

mugurumakensei said:
Thing is none of those cost near the amount FF XIII costs, and new entries in Final Fantasy will likely cost just as much if not more. I'd be surprised if RE5 even matched FF XII's costs.

RE5 definitely cost more than RE4, which cost more than RECVX, etc. We are not comparing franchises with each other, we are comparing the decline of sales within a series with rising development costs in each new entry. :p

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, I do. I was pretty clear with my definition, I thought.

Okay, then we completely agree on specifics, but not on the actual terms used then. :)

Re: dying, unless someone can suggest some strong evidence that FF's decline will arrest at some specific point that's clearly still above the profitability point I think it's a pretty safe judgment. Just because something is dying doesn't mean it will die. If someone has cancer, you can say "if things continue on the current trend and we don't make a major change that alters the underlying situation, they will die" or just shorten that to "they're dying" and that's pretty descriptive of FF's situation right now. :lol

Chris1964 said:

X-2 is kind of uniquely positioned in the sense that I literally can't think of another game quite like it (Tales of Symphonia Twoish is the closest and that's still not quite close enough); you can think of it as a really spinoff-y main entry or a really main-entry-esque spinoff, but either way it's clearly not 100% main entry the same way that X, XII, and XIII are (and the sales match that presumption.)

charlequin said:
X-2 is kind of uniquely positioned in the sense that I literally can't think of another game quite like it (Tales of Symphonia Twoish is the closest and that's still not quite close enough); you can think of it as a really spinoff-y main entry or a really main-entry-esque spinoff, but either way it's clearly not 100% main entry the same way that X, XII, and XIII are (and the sales match that presumption.)

Well they could try again with FFX-0 where you play as Jecht's gang and the final battle would be Braska's Final Aeon vs. Sin.

Or would that be too awesome?

Pureauthor said:
Well they could try again with FFX-0 where you play as Jecht's gang and the final battle would be Braska's Final Aeon vs. Sin.

I always thought that was a weird idea. You'd go through exactly the same locations in exactly the same order as FFX, only the ending would be crappy. :lol

nodish2 said:
So those VC2 sales mean the franchise is done with the PS3, or were we supposed to assume that already?

Definitely supposed to assume that already.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
charlequin said:
Ok. I was always seeing X-2 as a main entry.
Fun fact: 100% main entry XIII won't match the sales of 90% main entry X-2 (this is a joke, don't take anyone this seriously).

charlequin said:
I always thought that was a weird idea. You'd go through exactly the same locations in exactly the same order as FFX, only the ending would be crappy. :lol

Well, it worked for Kingdom Hearts!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
*keeps doing happy dance at the emergence of a Famitsu top 50 leak*

Carry on

Baki

Segata Sanshiro said:
Unless the next round of portables have a lot more horsepower, I don't think that would work out well for them. It would be interesting to see the results of a full-featured, full-effort FF title on the PSP though. It would probably do really well.

Isn't the next PSP* rumoured to have the latest PowerVR graphics chip (SGX543MP) which is supposed to be comparable to the RSX and Xbox 360 xenos? Link

Then factor in the fact that it will be rendering lower resolutions and we have potential PS3/X360 graphics on the PSP 2.

So I'm thinking if FFXV is released as a title for PSP 2, they can still maintain graphic fidelity while working on the portable strengths of the platform.

* (which I still believe will launch fall this year and have Monster Hunter 3P/4 as a launch title)

Durante

nodish2 said:
So those VC2 sales mean the franchise is done with the PS3, or were we supposed to assume that already?
It's about on par with the first part in terms of first week sales. If we assume that the FW/LTD ratio declines a bit or stays the same at best (as is standard for sequels of RPGs/SRPGs) then those will be similar sales in Japan, at a significantly lower launch price. VC1 sold more outside Japan than it did inside it, and 75% of those sales will likely be gone with the move to PSP (and that's being generous). All in all I'm not sure that it's quite so clear-cut.

For VC2, Sega basically sacrificed Western sales for a shorter (and presumably cheaper) dev cycle. Whether or not this is worth it comes down to numbers we don't have, so... *shrug*

Celine

ElFly said:
I know it's just a small detail, but it's so weird.
On the FF dying topic, it remains to be seen how it does worldwide. If it's able to get the brand growing, then SE may be ok with letting the series die in japan, to see it grow everywhere else. It could happen, particularly how it's a multiplatform title now.
I would be surprised if FF XIII sells better than FF X in western region.
I think that even in the western markets FF is past its prime time.

Pureuthor said:
We could talk about it in the sense that we're all dying - we're gradually wearing our bodies out second by second, minute by minute, hour by hour, etc - but I don't think that would be too useful.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
schuelma said:
*keeps doing happy dance at the emergence of a Famitsu top 50 leak*

Carry on
New Famitsu leaker

Week 1: Top 50 with exact numbers and sellthrough
Week 2: Top 50 with rounded numbers to hundreds and sellthrough
Week 3: ?
Week 4: ?

You know how this is gonna end, exactly like the drill blog. I want to be proven wrong on this.

Spiegel

Durante said:
It's about on par with the first part in terms of first week sales. If we assume that the FW/LTD ratio declines a bit or stays the same at best (as is standard for sequels of RPGs/SRPGs) then those will be similar sales in Japan, at a significantly lower launch price. VC1 sold more outside Japan than it did inside it, and 75% of those sales will likely be gone with the move to PSP (and that's being generous). All in all I'm not sure that it's quite so clear-cut.

Valkyria Chronicles 1 sold 77k in the first week

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
CoM and 358/2 both used nothing but recycled worlds. Heck, 358/2 even recycled the layout of almost everything.

And in 358/2's case, the ending was depressing too!

But CoM has a pretty awesome ending, for both Sora and Riku. It also moved the story forward beyond KH, and led directly into KH2. So yeah, failed comparison!

As for 358, it's the worst KH game ever, so I don't know if we want to say it "worked" lol.

ElFly

On the other hand, even if FF13 ends up outselling FF10 or even FF12, the problem may be that it takes so long between installments.

035d10a0f2c571da4c83269ad9241068.png

What good would be a reborn FF popularity if we won't see a new main entry for at least 4 years? I guess the same could be said for the DQ series, but DQ is growing.

I guess the spinoffs still sell somewhat well.

duckroll said:
But CoM has a pretty awesome ending, for both Sora and Riku. It also moved the story forward beyond KH, and led directly into KH2. So yeah, failed comparison!

The ending of the hypothetical FFX-0 could be awesome too!

I just want more playable Jecht, okay?

Durante

Ah, sorry, I assumed the garaph VC1 data was first week. Well, we'll see how it compares in LTD. If it follows the normal trend of RPG sequels it should be more front-loaded -- on the other hand handheld titles are usually less so compared to console ones. In any case the launch price difference is quite significant.

Regarding predictions of FF's death, I think it would make sense to wait for global sales data. If there's a decline there as well compared to 12 there may be something to it.

Jeels

I think Square Enix should slow it down with the FF spinoffs (at least by half) and give us a mainline FF title every 1-2 years like they used to instead of 3-4. That would only help the quality of the average FF title and at least repair some lost image that people claim there is.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu
[PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) - 77.694 / 141.589
[PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Playstation 3 the Best) (Sega) - 4.700 / 82.744

Media Create
[PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) - 77.267 / 153.002

schuelma

Chris1964 said:
New Famitsu leaker

Week 1: Top 50 with exact numbers and sellthrough
Week 2: Top 50 with rounded numbers to hundreds and sellthrough
Week 3: ?
Week 4: ?

You know how this is gonna end, exactly like the drill blog. I want to be proven wrong on this.

Yeah probably, which is why I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Damn, got told big time about Valkyria hitting 100k. Oh well, as long as its a lovely, early, delicious top50 with sell-through its okay.

More surprised than before at Nanoha 76,500 with 90% sell-through though. PSP looking strong going into its next two months lineup showdown.

KH:BBS is weird, 94% sell-through puts its shipment at what Dengeki had as sold the week before. Even taking out Dengeki of the equation, doesn't seem to match Media Create too well either.

Jeels said:
I think Square Enix should slow it down with the FF spinoffs (at least by half) and give us a mainline FF title every 1-2 years like they used to instead of 3-4.

I always used to say that what they should do was cut out the spinoffs in favor of creating a new "secondary" series on handhelds with a different visual style, new composer and character designer, but... they had a chance on that and they fucking blew it. :lol

ksamedi said:
Even Wada kind of admitted that he wasn't pleased by the FF sales by stating that the FF team should try something new with the series.
If they can do more different than XI, XII, and XIII seem to be from each other, FF XV will be an Ace Attorney clone.

Opiate

I agree with Sanshiro's definition of dying, yes. And with Charlequin's expanded definition: "If things continue as they are, then this franchise will die." Since it has been continuing on this path for over a decade, we have a stable and consistent pattern to follow.

Most franchises die, some just do it more slowly than others. I have a more interesting question: which franchises are not dying? That is, which have seen significant growth or stasbility in the last 5 years?

Please note that new franchises can't count, here. Monster Hunter, for example, is still in its growth phase. What I'm looking for is a franchise that has clearly reached an equilibrium, or a peak, or whatever you'd like to call it, and then maintained consistently strong sales for years or decades.

Dragon Quest is an example of this, while FF is not. Pokemon is quite stable. What other franchises maintain consistently strong sales?

Spiegel

Durante said:
Ah, sorry, I assumed the garaph VC1 data was first week. Well, we'll see how it compares in LTD. If it follows the normal trend of RPG sequels it should be more front-loaded -- on the other hand handheld titles are usually less so compared to console ones. In any case the launch price difference is quite significant.

- 6090Y Vs 7980Y
- VC2's full scale development phase started in spring '09 (Dengeki interview)

I'd say they are not regretting moving the sequel to PSP

Opiate said:
Dragon Quest is an example of this, while FF is not. Pokemon is quite stable. What other franchises maintain consistently strong sales?

The only examples I can think of that have new entries on consoles from this gen are Mario and Dragon Quest. Heck, Mario games actually increased in sales this gen (even the 3d titles got a boost). I can't really think of any that are stable even worldwide. GTA, for example, had a massive decline this gen.

schuelma

I feel like Metal Gear has been pretty consistent.

duckroll

Phantasy Star was dying, it was almost dead, the coroner found no signs of life left, then it suddenly leaped up from the coffin and said "I'm not dead yet!" :lol

Kishgal

Banned
Spiegel said:
I just read in 2ch that the first shipment for DQVI is only 500k.

Wtf, that can't be possible.
Not too far off from what I expected. I see a bunch of people predicting a million+ first week sales, but only one DQ remake has ever done that (as far as I know), and it was packed with a DQ8 promo disc.

That said, 500k is a bit low for a first shipment, regardless. I expected somewhere in the 650k range for actual first week sales. I guess we'll see how it goes.

onken

Not bad for VC2 I guess, though I do think they abandoned the consoles too easily.

UC on a fast track to nowhere.

Khrno

ElFly said:
What good would be a reborn FF popularity if we won't see a new main entry for at least 4 years?.

Hey don't worry about it, 2010 is the year for the next FF main entry, and it's the spiritual successor to the most profitable FF game, so SE don't have much to worry about FF's near future.

The main problem is about FFXV, and what direction will it take: more Kitase/Nomura, or some Itou/Yoshida to keep the freshness between entries and allow the previous team more time to create something new.

And about spin-offs, I don't see a problem with them, is not everybody's cup of tea, so they don't really saturate the market, it just gives an option for those wanting more FF between main releases, however, when put together with remakes and ports, the market does saturate and people will go to the shops and just find so many different FF games every now and then, that might change their opinion of the franchise as a whole.

schuelma

Nirolak said:
I think he meant the "Umbrella Chronicles" series, as that's the only thing I can see that makes sense.

Ahh. Well, IIRC the 2nd week is proportionally pretty equal to UC so I don't know if we can tell all that much. Obviously its not going to reach Umbrella Chronicles but I bet it gets past 200K.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So it seems the Xbox 360 "Mission Division" website went up, and it seems there's at least four more titles coming. Three "XXXXXXXXXXX" boxes show up on the page, but a fourth box shows up when the page first "zooms in", since the list jumps up the screen for some reason.

28lahe.png

Also, according to the editor of Famitsu Xbox 360, apparently a publisher who hasn't made Xbox 360 games yet is going to "start making Xbox 360 titles this year and has a lot to publish".

Siliconera said:
Munetatsu Matsui, the editor in chief of Famitsu Xbox 360, tweeted something a curious. Matsui said at a party he met with a “maker” that has not released an Xbox 360 game yet. This unnamed party will start making Xbox 360 titles this year and has a lot to publish.

It seems Microsoft is getting quite aggressive in Japan again.

nodish2

Banned
Nirolak said:
apparently a publisher who hasn't made Xbox 360 games yet is going to "start making Xbox 360 titles this year and has a lot to publish".

What publisher with games worth playing hasn't made a 360 game?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
nodish2 said:
What publisher with games worth playing hasn't made a 360 game?
I think the only ones left are Atlus (barring Zoids and Operation Darkness, as I don't think they published them in Japan), Nippon Ichi, and Level 5. However, I think we can cross Level 5 off the list.

donny2112

Opiate said:

If you ignore handhelds, then you're asking for either a) Nintendo games or b) a series that transitioned from PS1/early PS2 to Wii well. If you're saying MH3 is too recent, there are none of b), so the examples would be in Nintendo games looking at consoles only. Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Paper Mario, Mario Party (recently reversing a downward trend), 3-D Mario ("one point does not a trend make").

Go to handhelds or combination of handhelds and consoles, and you get Dragon Quest, Pokemon (recently reversing a downward trend), Kirby, and probably more.

Nirolak said:
Also, according to the editor of Famitsu Xbox 360, apparently a publisher who hasn't made Xbox 360 games yet is going to "start making Xbox 360 titles this year and has a lot to publish".

Either NIS or Nintendo. It's a toss-up.

Top Bottom