• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 18 - 24, 2010

Baki

AranhaHunter said:
Do they mean an app store on PSN or something? Sony is trying to prep the PSN to be the do all/end all for Sony products, they have games, minis, comics, videos, vidzone, soon to have video on demand (qriocity) and music store is rumored to be coming as well. Considering how they're always talking about PSN and how big it'll be for them, there's no way they'd license a 3rd party app store when they could make much more money with their own app store.

Everything else sounds feasible though.

EDIT: Reading the google translation, it seems to say their own app store.

Well I hope the rumor is true, I do have a couple of more things on my wishlist that I'd want :)
Well Sony have already talked about bringing apps to the PSP during gamescom. So I imagine it has something to do with that.

@donny112: Why dont you think the PSP 2 will be able to pull off comparable numbers for a launch? I mean the PSP in its prime was outselling the DS and the PSP looks to end with a comparable LTD to the GBA in Japan.

Kishgal

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Holy sheeeeet. I'm thinking to buy this, even though I stopped DQIV less than halfway through. I gather the order you play them (IV, V and VI) in doesn't really matter...
Yeah, they're only loosely related through mythology and little else.

Kishgal said:
Looks like I have to eat some crow. Very impressive. That makes it the second best first week for a DQ remake, I think.
Yeah, just behind DQV PS2. I will be interesting to see what kind of legs this one has.

Btw what's the ltd for DQV PS2?

Kishgal

Banned
Chris1964 said:
No, it won't.
It's hard to say now since I didn't think DQ6 would get close to a million in its first week (and was assuming DQ5 PS2's success was due to its pack-in bonus), but beating DQ5 PS2 would make it the best-selling DQ remake. I think the closest is DQ3 SFC at 1.3 million or so?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Magicpaint said:
We'll get a better idea of its legs when week 2 numbers are out, but the fact is that it is tracking below DQV.
DS doesn't follow PS2 ratio. If DQVI follows DQIV and DQV it will double its first week sales.

Title - First Week - LTD - FW/LTD ratio

Dragon Quest IV (NDS) - 601,737 - 1,214,610 - 49,5%
Dragon Quest V (NDS) - 679,442 - 1,176,082 - 57,8%
Dragon Quest V (PS2) - 1,048,925 - 1,611,974 - 63,1%

Dragon Quest VI (NDS) - 909,981 - ??? - ???

Celine

Kishgal said:
It's hard to say now since I didn't think DQ6 would get close to a million in its first week (and was assuming DQ5 PS2's success was due to its pack-in bonus), but beating DQ5 PS2 would make it the best-selling DQ remake. I think the closest is DQ3 SFC at 1.3 million or so?
Are you sure ?
I knew that DQ3 SFC did 970K.
If you are right then the last third-party million seller on a Nintendo home system before MH3 is DQ3 remake.

edit:

Title - First Week - LTD - FW/LTD ratio

Dragon Quest IV (NDS) - 601,737 - 1,214,610 - 49,5%
Dragon Quest V (NDS) - 679,442 - 1,176,082 - 57,8%
Dragon Quest V (PS2) - 1,048,925 - 1,611,974 - 63,1%

Dragon Quest VI (NDS) - 909,981 - ??? - ???

Dragon Quest IV (PS1) - 620.802 - 1.173.671 - 52,89%

cvxfreak

Sales for DQVI looked insane all weekend. By comparison, DQIV and DQV just resembled the pace of other games that sell 500K+ their first week.

Kishgal

Banned
Celine said:
Are you sure ?
I knew that DQ3 SFC did 970K.
If you are right then the last third-party million seller on a Nintendo home system before MH3 is DQ3 remake.

edit:

No, I'm not sure. I couldn't find a number to double check just now so I was going on fuzzy memories. But now that you say that, I must be wrong, since I seem to remember people always listing DQ6 as the last third-party million seller.

Chris1964 said:
DS doesn't follow PS2 ratio. If DQVI follows DQIV and DQV it will double its first week sales.

We'll see, I guess. I would just find it to be really amazing if DQ6r became the best-selling DQ remake, considering that it's rarely listed as anybody's favorite.

Kenka

Pixe said:

The fuck ?

This is Pokémon Platinum level of first week sales. Absolutely ridiculous.

oqf3ac.jpg

(as of January, 23rd)

It even narrowly beats New Super Mario Bros' first week :eek:

edit : oh, interesting trivia : aside NSMB, all games with the stronger launches on DS were either made by S-E, either by Poké Comp. I guess this is obvious but still...

Spiegel

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e100201c.html
a. In this business segment, "Mega Man Exe: Operate Shooting Star" (for Nintendo DS) achieved steady sales supported by their established brand names during this quarter. Our lower-priced software title "Monster Hunter Freedom Unite PSP the Best" (for PlayStation Portable), whose price has been reduced further from its original low-price, also grew favorably, whereas "Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles" (for Wii) and "Okami" (for Wii) saw slow sales.
Capcom's flagship title "Monster Hunter Tri" (for Wii) achieved healthy growth, and "Ace Attorney investigations: Miles Edgeworth" (for Nintendo DS) performed satisfactorily.

b. Additionally, "Resident Evil 5" (for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360), one of the most successful titles in the previous year, continued to grow supported by its incessant popularity.

c. "Sengoku Basara Battle Heroes" (for PlayStation Portable), which is the latest addition of the Sengoku Basara series, also grew on a steady basis. The software started the so-called "Rekijo" (Japanese term for Japanese female history "Otaku") boom in Japan and generated much public interest in Japan's "Warring States" (Sengoku) era. In addition, the software gained public attention outside of the game industry when its characters appeared in the official election notice posters by the Miyagi Prefecture municipal government at the election of the governor of Miyagi.

d. The resulting net sales increased to 33,426 million yen (up 25.2 % from the same term last year) partially supported by the performance of the cumulative second quarter, and the operating income increased to 6,994 million yen (up 58.8 % from the same term last year).

cvxfreak

So Resident Evil 4 surpassed Devil May Cry as the best selling Capcom PS2 game worldwide. Too bad C-Warrior doesn't seem to be around to respond to that. :lol

This means that an RE game has been the top Capcom game for the PS1, PS2, PS3, 360, DC, GC and Wii. It might even be for the N64.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kenka said:
edit : oh, interesting trivia : aside NSMB, all games with the stronger launches on DS were either made by S-E, either by Poké Comp. I guess this is obvious but still...
Wait for Ni no Kuni.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently RE5 is up to 5.3 million now, which should be the last figure we get before Alternative Edition comes out.

Also, on the topic of Dragon Quest, it seems that Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 is coming out on April 28th.

It seems Square Enix has shifted to a very short reveal -> release schedule for their DS titles lately, even for the really big ones.

Kishgal said:
We'll see, I guess. I would just find it to be really amazing if DQ6r became the best-selling DQ remake, considering that it's rarely listed as anybody's favorite.
Well DQIII is a fan fave and its remake is definitely going to sell less than DQVIr. I just think DQ remakes are selling more now; even re-remakes are crossing the million mark now.
I'm not sure VIr will pass Vr, but it should beat everything else.

I also think VI is the best! :p

Celine said:
Thanks.

This is where DQVI ends up when it follows the respective ratios:

DQIV (NDS) ratio -> DQVI LTD 1,838,345
DQV (NDS) ratio -> DQVI LTD 1,574,361
DQV (PS2) ratio -> DQVI LTD 1,442,125
DQIV (PS1) ratio -> DQVI LTD 1,720,516

Kishgal

Banned
Magicpaint said:
Well DQIII is a fan fave and its remake is definitely going to sell less than DQVIr. I just think DQ remakes are selling more now; even re-remakes are crossing the million mark now.
I'm not sure VIr will pass Vr, but it should beat everything else.

I also think VI is the best! :p
I flounder between 5 and 6 as my favorite.
And you're right about 3. I thought it sold more, but knowing the real number changes things a bit. I guess 6 being released after 9 helps quite a bit, too.

I think 1.7-1.8 million is a lock for DQVIr. I'm waiting to see if it can beat FFXIII.

You know what would be clever; some kind of connectivity with DQM2. Like some a new dungeon or rare monsters in the latter. That would push both of them really far.

Road

• Capcom has managed to ship another 30k copies of Bionic Commando (they're good at this).
  • More 50k for MH3 (1.15 million total).
  • 450k total for MHP2G in the West.
  • 4.34 million is the total shipped of MHP2G as of Dec. 31st (adding up FY shipments; the "Platinum Titles" page on Capcom's website apparently doesn't include BEST versions or something).

ElFly

That's a great first week for my favorite DQ. Hopefully it will make it to america soon.

It'd be funny if it ended up selling as much as FF13.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Road said:
  • Capcom has managed to ship another 30k copies of Bionic Commando (they're good at this).
  • More 50k for MH3 (1.15 million total).
  • 450k total for MHP2G in the West.
  • 4.34 million is the total shipped of MHP2G as of Dec. 31st (adding up FY shipments; the "Platinum Titles" page on Capcom's website apparently doesn't include BEST versions or something).

Wait, Capcom convinced retailers to stock ANOTHER 50K of MH Tri? WTF?

Road

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Someone at Capcom is going to get...yelled at, at least.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/fy2010_3rd_quarter_a.pdf
http://i46.tinypic.com/2uduq04.png

Send it to kotaku, quick.
LOL I hadn't noticed it.

schuelma said:
Well, "Japan" is Asia, so maybe the game is rocking sales elsewhere. (Edit: I can't find info about the game being released in Korea etc. with a 30s googling.)

wrowa

schuelma said:
Well, it sold ~950k of its 1.1m shipment. Even if many retailers (especially the big ones in the big cities) still have dozens of copies which they try to sell for a low price in their bomba bins, there are other shops that don't have any copies left and want new ones. That's not really surprising and a additional shipment of 50k copies is rather small anyway.

wrowa said:
Well, it sold ~950k of its 1.1m shipment. Even if many retailers (especially the big ones in the big cities) still have dozens of copies which they try to sell for a low price in their bomba bins, there are other shops that don't have any copies left and want new ones. That's not really surprising and a additional shipment of 50k copies is rather small anyway.
I'm not sure if I've ever seen a shop sold out of the stand-alones. Maybe the 50k are more bundles?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wait... Monster Hunter Tri is going multiplatform?

enishi

Given the history of Enix, every console gets at least 1 DQ remake before the new one comes out.

SFC DQ1-3r
PS DQ4r
PS2 DQ5r
NDS DQ4-6r

Is it possible we will get DQ7r on Wii? (of course if S-E sticks to its plan to release DQ10 on Wii) I think it can be another major market push for Wii (at least in Japan)......

GDGF

Soothsayer
enishi said:
Is it possible we will get DQ7r on Wii? (of course if S-E sticks to its plan to release DQ10 on Wii) I think it can be another major market push for Wii (at least in Japan)......

That would be fitting, wouldn't it? DQ7 was the one that got away.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm not sure if I've ever seen a shop sold out of the stand-alones. Maybe the 50k are more bundles?

That's the only thing that makes some sense, though I was under the impression that the bundles were getting discounted as well.

cvxfreak

That 50K extra shipment might account for why I ended up seeing copies of the controller bundles in December at stores where I had not seem them in a few months, as well as the bomba piles at Sofmap.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
selig said:
You should become a Kotaku-writer

If it does, I wouldn't be surprised. :lol

Didn't they say like they'll be a multiplatform company from now on?

wrowa

schuelma said:
That's the only thing that makes some sense, though I was under the impression that the bundles were getting discounted as well.
Your impression is true. But not everyone buys his games in Tokyo :3 People tend to forget that only because stores sell certain games for cheap in some areas, they are not cheap everywhere in the country.

Anyway, what's the chance that Capcom is going to release a "Monster Hunter 3: Wii Speak Edition" in Japan?

Yeah the MH3 PS360 thing is just a big typo, especially because it doesn't even say Wii. It was just probably a lazy copy and paste thing.

Anyway, I'll just get the CCPRO bundle even if there'll be a Wii Speak bundle in NA, I have one already, I'm certain that Wii Speak will at least be supported in NA. :p

Top Bottom