• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 22 - 28

justchris

909er said:
Interesting. 360 is selling higher so far week to week from last year. Maybe Blue Dragon did have a small effect. It might even beat the original Xbox's LTD this year if it doesn't go below 4000 a week.

I don't think you can lay it at the feet of Blue Dragon. 360 has been consistently getting more Japanese oriented titles since Blue Dragon released. At most, Blue Dragon raised visibility of what was coming. Microsoft may actually <gasp> be doing something right this time around.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Atlus sucks for not shipping enough copies of Sekaiju missed opportunity there. seems like they a) understimated demand for the game b) didnt care much for it and just wanted to get an engine running for future games (SMT?) and Sekaiju was basically just a 'test' of how good the engine is or something

theory B is pure speculation and it's not true (plz dont flame me)

I had a sterling insight upon seeing the first day numbers, but apparently I've forgotten what it was.

Anyway, 1 year anniversary of itprintsmoney! Woo!

(Why is the gif. not in the thread yet?)

apujanata

ethelred said:
I don't think I am. We know there were issues with getting FFIII carts made. We've now learned from Sinobi that there's only going to be... what, one shipment of DQMJ in February, and that'll be in the middle of the month? That's due to cart problems, too. And now we have Atlus, apologizing on its website for underestimating demand but saying it can't get the carts out.

It does seem to be a very real problem here that I think needs to be corrected, because it strikes me as more serious than an inability to provide a consistently high amount of hardware.

Well, Nintendo really need to increase their production capacity, for both Wii and DS. I think some of the problem is because Nintendo is too cautious, and don't want to take the risk of getting another "we stopped production because of inventory flooding" mistake they have with GC.

Yes, that is really going to happen with the DS. The bottom is going to fall out any time now.

Any time now...

Aaaannnyyyy time now...

My predictions are:

DSL: 174,889
Wii: 91,040
PSP: 39,883
PS2: 24,457
PS3: 19,896
360: 9,185
GBASP: 1,024
GBAMicro: 1,008
Gamecube: 916
GBA: 29
Xbox: 0

I'm a twat

pilonv1

That's not even amusing. People should be banned for trying to "fool" everyone like this, it's not funny it's just stupid.

argon

pilonv1 said:
That's not even amusing. People should be banned for trying to "fool" everyone like this, it's not funny it's just stupid.

He gets away with it by having a cool avatar.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
duderon said:
Last year:

01 PS2 Final Fantasy 7 DC - 392,169 NEW
02 NDS English Training DS - 242,443 NEW
03 PS2 Shin Onimusha - 226,334 NEW
04 NDS Brain Training 2 - 110,539 (1,056,962)
05 NDS Animal Crossing WW - 79,515 (1,724,129)
06 NDS Brain Training - 70,724 (1,441,060)
07 PS2 Ar Tonelico - 54,289 NEW
08 NDS Bleach DS - 35,977 NEW
09 NDS Mario Kart DS - 29,366 (1,057,555)
10 PS2 Winnig Eleven 9 Bonus Pack - 27,943 NEW

DS 106,081
PSP 30,657
PS2 24,580
GBASP 5,946
GBM 3,042
GC 3,036
Xbox360 1,976
GBA 179
Xbox 128

the androgyne animated olimario's "It Prints Money" pic in this thread, also :lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84278

Woah, 360 sales were disgusting.....Man, it hurts to remember.....:lol

Fuzzy said:
Or you typed up all the names before the list was even out and just re-ordered them and added the numbers the same way I used to do it when I would create these threads. :)

It would also be nice if the new games were bolded like I used to do it. :)

Sounds somewhat cumbersome. Maybe my methods will be more obvious next week. ;)

pilonv1 said:

People always post predictions in these threads. Are people so bent out of shape that they'd call for a ban over something this silly? I wish I had as few things to worry about in life.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
ethelred said:

While typing that, I was thinking of saying something to the effect of, "but now it's disgusting x10," but that would mean that it's 10 times worse.

So there went my initial attempt to still say something negative about the sales. But I couldn't think of anything and ended up pushing TAB ENTER instead.

ethelred

LiveFromKyoto said:
Wow...will Portable Ops sell a million WW before it's all said and done?

Worldwide, I think it'll sell a good bit over a million.

A Link to the Snitch said:
Well, it's not doing nearly as well in NA or EU as it is in JP.

Oh, come off it. The game's only had a single month of sales in the US. It'll perform just fine.

cvxfreak

Yamauchi said:
So is DQMJ the DS's 2nd platinum 3rd party title?

Depending on who you ask, the 3rd. Supposedly FFIII broke it awhile ago (it has always been behind on MC charts versus Famitsu -- and it was at 970K last week on MC).

donny2112

Jonnyram said:
Honestly, can someone explain what is going on with PS3?
360 software is consistently outselling PS3 software on a weekly basis, but somehow PS3 hardware sales are three times higher each week. Considering how pitiful Blu-ray sales are, what is making the difference?

Potential.

Avalon

Error2k4 said:
Atlus sucks for not shipping enough copies of Sekaiju missed opportunity there. seems like they a) understimated demand for the game b) didnt care much for it and just wanted to get an engine running for future games (SMT?) and Sekaiju was basically just a 'test' of how good the engine is or something

Did you read ethelred's post? I think it's a pretty good guess at what happened.

And, come on... You've seen the game, does it look like they just slapped it together to get the framework for SMT DS done?

AniHawk said:
30jl6xw.jpg

Its German for: "The Next Gen, The"

ethelred said:
Worldwide, I think it'll sell a good bit over a million.

Oh, come off it. The game's only had a single month of sales in the US. It'll perform just fine.

I didn't say "it's gonna bomb". I said "it didn't do nearly as well", and with more time to do better too.

ethelred

A Link to the Snitch said:
I didn't say "it's gonna bomb". I said "it didn't do nearly as well", and with more time to do better too.

I assume you've watched sales long enough to recognize the difference between the US and Japanese markets (in general)? How one is typically front-loaded in sales while the other tends to see sustained sales over the course of a range of months?

Comparisons between the game's performance in different regions is premature at this point, with only a single month of NPD data on it. Portable Ops will perform just fine over the longterm, worldwide and in the US specifically (where it most likely will eclipse the Japanese sales).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jonnyram said:
Honestly, can someone explain what is going on with PS3?
360 software is consistently outselling PS3 software on a weekly basis, but somehow PS3 hardware sales are three times higher each week. Considering how pitiful Blu-ray sales are, what is making the difference?
Everyone's using it to play PS2 games? No idea...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Avalon said:
Did you read ethelred's post? I think it's a pretty good guess at what happened.

And, come on... You've seen the game, does it look like they just slapped it together to get the framework for SMT DS done?

:D

Is Nintendo taking turns shipping and undershipping DS games?

THere's no reason Kirby and Love and Berry should have dropped off, they were selling so nice.

I'm glad to see AC and NSMB still hanging around, but what also has happened to Pokemon? They've been massacred for 2 weeks now

ethelred said:
I assume you've watched sales long enough to recognize the difference between the US and Japanese markets (in general)? How one is typically front-loaded in sales while the other tends to see sustained sales over the course of a range of months?

Comparisons between the game's performance in different regions is premature at this point, with only a single month of NPD data on it. Portable Ops will perform just fine over the longterm, worldwide and in the US specifically (where it most likely will eclipse the Japanese sales).

It is true that North American sales are pretty evenly-loaded for many games, but it's a "wait and see" scenario I suppose.

EDIT: STOP CHANGING YOUR AVATAR

EDIT:
kiddingbtw

Avalon

Error2k4 said:

Okay, but theory A doesn't cover what ethelred mentioned. Nobody was flaming you anyways, though I am surprised you could even think Atlus R&D1 would do that. :)

This is coming from someone who thinks Devil Summoner needed a lot more testing and tuning.

Top Bottom