• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: June 15-21, 2009

Seems we'll have all over 10,000 this week. It's just depressing looking at a Top 10 with one or more games under 10,000, so this is a nice change of pace.

bttb said:
Famitsu First Day Sales (06/25)
[PSP] Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (Marvelous Entertainment) - 5,800 (23%)

If this were for Wii, we would be getting hundreds of post on how the Wii can't sell third-party software. (see: ARF)

Allan Holdsworth said:
If this were for Wii, we would be getting hundreds of post on how the Wii can't sell third-party software. (see: ARF)

There is a Wii release coming out pretty soon, isn't there?

Seems MMV can't catch a break lately.

mj1108

jeremy1456 said:
The 'Wii' games are always slow burners. I think The original Wii Sports did comparable, and then went on to sell multi-millions.

WSR will be another one of those that just bounces around the Top 10 for awhile then the Top 20 and will pretty much never leave there....and end up selling millions.

So really there's no reason to be concerned about the first day sales of it.

EDarkness said:
What game is this? Never heard of it.

The lands of Eldar have long been known as the origin of chaos, a place where monsters
and demons wreak havoc, indiscriminate in their madness. Legend tells of how the Spirit
King, whose coming was heralded in by a meteor shower, gained control of the creatures
and waged an unrelenting war upon civilization. Order and life were brought to the brink of
destruction, but an alliance of the four races was able to drive them back and seal the evil.

Centuries more have passed and once again the lands are slowly being overrun by the
reemerging monsters. Without a known cause or even a united front to repel them, it would
seem that this time, Eldar will fall. It is up to the main character to take up the forgotten
mantle of the hero, reunite the races, confront the hordes of monsters and restore peace
to the land.
________________________________________ ________
The third in the Valhalla Knights series created by the development team K2 (Tenchu
series) and Marvelous Entertainment Inc., Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga marks the series
jump to home console as it debuts on Wii. Boasting a revamped graphics engine with
real-time battles playing out on the field map, the Valhalla Knights experience is refined
and improved while keeping the customization and exploration options that the series is
known for intact. The series expands further as two players can now play and explore the
world of Eldar together online via an internet connection.

Trailer. Website.

Edit: And since XSEED's pretty much announced all of their games for this fiscal year I think it was, with the exception of a Wii and DS game, Battle Stance looks like it ain't coming over.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Grampasso said:
That's it, they won. And we didn't notice because we were looking at us. Nintendo was looking somewhere else... in the right direction.
/bow

OT:
Nice post.
I'm not bitter at them because I knew from the start that if I wanted a big pot of "edgy" (lol) games to choose from I would've had to buy an X360/PC/PS3 to go with it, and I did. So I'm still pretty happy with the Wii, more than ever with M+ attached to the new games.
I see M+ as a way to make motion controls feel less tackled on in core games, and I'm as much excited as the prospect of a cool Red Steel 2 as I am for Modern Warfare 2 on 360 (even more so).
IT:
What I see is that Nintendo has done such an horrible job at conveying what M+ actually is and why do we actually need it, hopefully they'll rectify that now that Resorts is out because, man, hearing some GS's clerks talkin' about it was freakin' hilarious "yeah, it's just an amp of sorts to play the Wii from farther", and even here in Gaf there's a lot of ignorance on the matter/most people don't care.

/inchino

If anyone's interested, I just uploaded every screenshot of Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga, plus a couple of wallpapers, art, and the English logo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31607198@N05/sets/72157620439509973/

BTW, Motoi Sakuraba is doing the soundtrack of this, and Battle Stance.

Linkup said:
ARF flopped though, meaning Rorona is a flop.

ARF did about the same 1st day, but don't forget, MMV said that budgets were low, and Wii development is cheap anyway for most (Fragile actually cost a pretty penny didn't it?), and I'd imagine Rorona having costed Gust a LOT more.

We'll see which sells more in the long run. Seems that these two have a rivalry don't they?

Linkup

Allan Holdsworth said:

It's basically a best edition with a few tweaks/additions. VK2 already released for the PSP. Not quite the same thing.

d+pad

Well, NOJ should be happy with those WSR numbers. I didn't think it would 'flop,' but after the past few months it's hard to feel all that positively about consoles in Japan.

Anyway, 300k-ish seems like a lock for the week, with a continued slow burn for some time afterwards. Will be interesting to see if it causes a hardware spike. I'm guessing it'll be in the mid-30ks, but who knows?

Assuming WSR stays high on the charts through July, Wii should be in a good spot for some time, what with MH3 (and the black Wii) coming in August. And then there's Wii Fit Plus and NSMB Wii...

When are Tales of Graces and Samurai Warriors 3 supposed to hit store shelves, anyway?

Jonnyram

Hero of Legend said:
Just the top of my head, the addition would be 150,000 x 2 = 300,000 (80%), which is 4/5, then split 300,000 in 1/4 = 75,000, add that extra 1/5 to the previous total, you get 375,000.
You have a really fucked up way of calculating. Why not just do 100/40 * 150000, like any sane individual?

zoku88

Hero of Legend said:
(Fragile actually cost a pretty penny didn't it?), and I'd imagine Rorona having costed Gust a LOT more.
?
?

Pretty much all Gust games seem pretty cheap as far as production goes.

Spiegel

Allan Holdsworth said:

You should know your games before trying to argument something.

It's a repackaged Valhalla Knights 2 with some extras. A looow budget psp game released one year ago that doesn't even come close to the likes of Fragile or ARF.
It's positioned as an overpriced best version of VK2

That game sold 90k, not great but certainly much more than any of their Wii games

bmf said:
18k is not bad for Rorona. Is performing on par with Arc Rise Fantasia. Nice.

It's doing a bit better

18+3.9 = 22k

Eteric Rice said:
Does Nintendo not even try? Even if getting those games working on the Wii needs them to help with assets, etc, then they should do it. Nintendo seems to be just sitting on their asses, hoping for third parties to follow like they did with the DS.
I don't know, seems like they're trying really hard.

Nintendo: *whispers* Hey everyone, you should make some big Wii games.
*crickets*
Nintendo: Well, more cake for me.
bmf said:
The Silent Hill remake and Fatal Frame, although Fatal Frame didn't seem to pan out as well one would hope.
I think it did turn out about as well as they could've hoped in Japan, but the decision to leave it there is pretty weird.
Eteric Rice said:
I don't really buy this. The DS was able to have both worlds, both core and casual. The Wii should be able to have the same.
However, in a world where DS was the comeback console after a disappointingly-low-selling GBA, perhaps PSP was the one getting Final Fantasy III announcements before launch, and the entire Ace Attorney series.
schuelma said:
Wii Sports Resort anticipation? General increased awareness because of WSR advertising?
I would also suggest there's just some randomness to it, and that not all trackers agree on what it's doing. Whereas Media Create had it bottoming out in April at 13K and doing better since, Famitsu never had it that low in April but saw 13K weeks in May and June.
fam

d[-_- said:
b]Seems rather low... anyone have comparable #s for the other "Wii" titles
I don't have the numbers, but we don't have much room for standard comparison, either. 2 of the Wii titles were launch games. One was a December release. That leaves Wii Music.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I think it did turn out about as well as they could've hoped in Japan, but the decision to leave it there is pretty weird.
Hrm. Some recent discussions had me under the impression that it had some pretty hefty bugs that the developer wasn't willing to work out. Sounds like a contract dispute or something to me which would explain a buggy release in japan followed by a lack of foreign localization.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Pureauthor said:
This is the most important number from the data we got, and anyone who says otherwise is WRONG.
It sure looks like the nsfw advertising worked...

bmf said:
Hrm. Some recent discussions had me under the impression that it had some pretty hefty bugs that the developer wasn't willing to work out. Sounds like a contract dispute or something to me which would explain a buggy release in japan followed by a lack of foreign localization.

Perhaps, but in terms of sales I recall it did better than prior Fatal Frames.

It sure looks like the nsfw advertising worked...

I don't want to know, do I.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Spiegel said:
You should know your games before trying to argument something.

It's a repackaged Valhalla Knights 2 with some extras. A looow budget psp game released one year ago that doesn't even come close to the likes of Fragile or ARF.
It's positioned as an overpriced best version of VK2

That game sold 90k, not great but certainly much more than any of their Wii games

That's a lengthy response to such a simple fact. It's not an argument.

bttb said:

Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 155,000
BlazBlue (Arc System Works) - 36,000
Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono 2 (Acquire) - 25,000
Atelier Rorona: Arland no Renkinjutsushi (Gust) - 21,900
Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (Marvelous Entertainment) - 5,800
Bionic Commando (Capcom) - 6,800
Agarest Senki Zero (Compile Heart) - 9,500
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
WSR 150k day1, 350k week1 (wii 30k)
Blazblue (combined) 30k, 40k
Totomono 2 25k, 40k
Rorona 20k, 30k
Valhalla 2G 10k, 20k
Bionic Commando (combined) <10k, <20k
Agarest 0 <10k, <20k
Uhm, doesn't seem the time travel machine worked perfectly, seems to have one or two slightly different outcomes that would indicate some deviation in its space-time module that ventured it into a parallel universe. Nothing too big on the other hand, seems good enough for cheating predictions purposes.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 236 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 190.1 weeks (October 19, 2003), where DS was at 102.0 weeks (November 12, 2006), and where GBA was at 159.4 weeks (April 7, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 184 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 17.1 weeks (January 7, 2002), where PS3 was at 38.3 weeks (July 31, 2007), and where Wii was at 5.5 weeks (January 4, 2007).

PS3 comparisons: After 136 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 45.6 weeks (January 11, 2001), where PSP was at 68.6 weeks (March 31, 2006), where GCN was at 125.6 weeks (February 2, 2004), and where Wii was at 35.6 weeks (August 2, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 133 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 99.0 weeks (February 9, 2003), where DS was at 77.1 weeks (May 22, 2006), where PS2 was at 116.3 weeks (May 21, 2002), and where PSP was at 167.4 weeks (February 20, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 33 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 46.6 weeks (January 1, 2004) and where DSL was at 16.6 weeks (June 22, 2006).

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 62.3 / 37.7 bring total shares to 68.3 / 31.7. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 512.8 weeks (April 20, 2019).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 39.4 / 60.6 bring total shares to 24.8 / 75.2. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 319.0 weeks (August 2, 2015).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 34.8 / 65.2 bring total shares to 28.4 / 71.6. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 470.9 weeks (July 1, 2018).

Week over week, everything is slightly up except X360, which is slightly down.
X360

Through the first twenty-five weeks of the year, overall sales are down. However, the systems can be split into camps of 3 up and 3 down. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -63.6%
DSL+DSi: +2.9%
PS2: -49.6%
PS3: +8.5%
PSP: -45.4%
X360: +232.1%

Home hardware: -38.9%
Portable hardware: -24.6%
Sum of all hardware: -30.4%

Last year:

This year:

Durante

bttb said:
[PS3] Atelier Rorona: Arland no Renkinjutsushi (Gust) - SE 18,000 (63%) / LE 3,900 (72%)
22k, slightly more than I expected for first day. Also seems well in line with the shipments. For comparison, the most recent console Atelier title did 24k first week on PS2, and the most recent Atelier game in general (on DS) did 15k first week.

Hero of Legend said:
I'd imagine Rorona having costed Gust a LOT more.
Why? The assets seem to have about PS2 level of detail, just smoother (more polys) and rendered at a lot higher image quality. But that doesn't cost money. Really, one would have to look at all the relative amount of content of both games but I wouldn't be surprised if ARF cost at least as much (little?) to make. Also, I imagine that Gust will get a lot of reuse out of this engine.

AniHawk

Durante said:
Why? The assets seem to have about PS2 level of detail, just smoother (more polys) and rendered at a lot higher image quality. But that doesn't cost money. Really, one would have to look at all the relative amount of content of both games but I wouldn't be surprised if ARF cost at least as much (little?) to make. Also, I imagine that Gust will get a lot of reuse out of this engine.

They'll probably use it for Mana Khemia 3 and Ar Tonelico 3.

lherre

Accurate
test_account said:
I think it might be a possibility that MGS5 will come this gen, since Microsoft brough Kojima on the stage at this year's E3 announcing that MGS5 were comming to the Xbox 360. But if i should guess, MGS5 will probably not be out before in maybe 2-3 years or so though, so i guess there can be a chance that MGS5 wont come out in this generation as you say, even if it is announced for this generation's consoles (the PS3 and the Xbox 360) :)

EDIT: I added some text.

MGS5 is peacewalker ...

test_account

XP-39C²
bttb said:

[WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 155,000 (41%)
[PSP] Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono 2 (Acquire) - 25,000 (53%)
[PS3] BlazBlue (Arc System Works) - 21,000 (52%)
[PS3] Atelier Rorona: Arland no Renkinjutsushi (Gust) - SE 18,000 (63%) / LE 3,900 (72%)
[360] BlazBlue (Arc System Works) - 15,000 (64%)
[PS3] Agarest Senki Zero (Compile Heart) - SE 7,300 (44%) / LE 2,200 (53%)
[PSP] Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (Marvelous Entertainment) - 5,800 (23%)
[PS3] Bionic Commando (Capcom) - 3,800 (25%)
[360] Time Leap (Prototype) - 3,700 (48%)
[PSP] Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku o: Tenohira no Rakuen (TGL) - LE 3,100 (74%) / SE 1,700 (47%)
[360] Bionic Commando (Capcom) - 3,000 (32%)
[NDS] Really? Really! DS (Kadokawa Shoten) - LE 2,800 (47%)
[360] Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta! (G.Rev) - LE 2,400 (48%) / SE 1,600 (36%)
[PS2] Wand of Fortune (Idea Factory) - SE 2,200 (50%) / LE 1,500 (75%)
[PS3] Wanted: Weapons of Fate (Spike) - 2,000 (25%)
[PSP] Pia Carrot e Youkoso!! G.P. Gakuen Princess Portable (GN Software) - SE 1,600 (36%)
[PS2] Himehibi: New Princess Days!! Zoku! Ni-Gakki (Takuyo) - 1,600 (35%)
[PSP] Memories Off: AfterRain (5pb.) - LE 1,400 (41%)
[NDS] Fushigi Yuugi DS (Idea Factory) - SE 1,300 (25%)
[PS2] Eureka Seven: New Wave Graduation, Welcome Price w/DVD (Bandai Namco Games) - 1,200 (32%)

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1245846313/347

SE = Standard Edition / LE = Limited Edition
Wow, that is alot of games. Any reason why so many games got released at the same day?

I like the name of that DS game "Really? Really! DS (Kadokawa Shoten)" hehe :)

Hero of Legend said:
ARF did about the same 1st day, but don't forget, MMV said that budgets were low, and Wii development is cheap anyway for most (Fragile actually cost a pretty penny didn't it?), and I'd imagine Rorona having costed Gust a LOT more.

We'll see which sells more in the long run. Seems that these two have a rivalry don't they?
I dont know if any numbers were given on how much it cost to make Fragile, but ye, they said that Fragile had a high budget and that it took about 2 years to make that game if i remember correctly. "High budget" can be relative though, i am not sure if they compare the budget to what other Wii games usually cost to develope, or if they compare it to what a high budget PS3 and/or Xbox 360 game can cost to develope.

lherre said:
MGS5 is peacewalker ...
Ye, i think that Peacewalker for the PSP is a direct sequel in the main MGS story (set after MGS3 if i remember correctly), so in this way i guess that MGS Peacewalker can be described at MGS5 indeed as you say, but will it be called MGS5 officialy? Do we know if MGS Rising will be a sequel in the main MGS story, or will it be more of a spinoff? But i was thinkin of MGS Rising when i said MGS5 :)

Dascu

Sage00 said:
Nintendo just seem to want to avoid RPGs altogether. I don't know if that's the Yamauchi mentality still there after the whole N64/FF etc thing, but even their own company's(Monolith) RPGs, even when Yasumi Matsuno is involved, are relegated to the bottom of their lineup.
Erm, Matsuno's working on Monado?

test_account said:
Ye, i think that Peacewalker for the PSP is a direct sequel in the main MGS story (set after MGS3 if i remember correctly), so in this way i guess that MGS Peacewalker can be described at MGS5 indeed as you say
I'm not a big follower of the series, but isn't Portable Ops already a followup to MGS3 that plays like a traditional MGS? Is there a reason Peacewalker is more of a big deal, other than that now there's no Snake-starring console title in sight?

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm not a big follower of the series, but isn't Portable Ops already a followup to MGS3 that plays like a traditional MGS and follows MGS3's story?
I am not really a big follower of the series myself, so i dont know, sorry :\ Besides Metal Gear: Snake's Revenge for the NES and Metal Gear Online for the PS3, i havnt really played much of the other Metal Gear games.

I bought MGS4 the same day it come out for sale where i live, but that was mainly because i wanted to play Metal Gear Online. I have played Metal Gear Online for maybe 190 hours or so, but i have only played the main MGS4 game for maybe 15 minutes or so, since i havnt played the previous MGS games that much, and i didnt want to start with MGS4 :)

JoshuaJSlone said:
Is there a reason Peacewalker is more of a big deal, other than that now there's no Snake-starring console title in sight?
If i remember correctly, i think it was said that Peacewalker is set about 10 years after the story in MGS3, and that it is more of a direct sequel in the main MGS storyline rather than a spinoff. And i think that Kojima himself is also working closely with Peacewalker :) Maybe Portable Ops are set a few years after the MGS3 story as well?

lherre

Accurate
test_account said:
Ye, i think that Peacewalker for the PSP is a direct sequel in the main MGS story (set after MGS3 if i remember correctly), so in this way i guess that MGS Peacewalker can be described at MGS5 indeed as you say, but will it be called MGS5 officialy? Do we know if MGS Rising will be a sequel in the main MGS story, or will it be more of a spinoff? But i was thinkin of MGS Rising when i said MGS5 :)

Well, according to Kojima, he is only director of Peacewallker and he says in the Sony's E3 conference that Peacewalker is the "true sequel". Besides if I remember correctly, in the peacewalker trailer is shown a "5" in the beginning.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm not a big follower of the series, but isn't Portable Ops already a followup to MGS3 that plays like a traditional MGS? Is there a reason Peacewalker is more of a big deal, other than that now there's no Snake-starring console title in sight?
Simply, because Kojima says it is. It's him and his MGS4 team working on the game, while we're assuming Murata and the ZoE/Boktai team are on Rising.

It also appears that 4 player co-op will play a big role in the game judging from the trailer. Put that together with PSP and, well, you know.

Edit: Beaten.

Spiegel

JoshuaJSlone said:

To put it simple:

Portable OPS - Typical spinoff (low budget, B/C team made the game, Kojima had little to no involvement, mission based, unpolished)
Peace Walker - MGS 3-2 (big budget, MGS4 team is making the game, Kojima is directing+producing+writing)

Jonnyram

So all these kids that grow up with Wii and don't know how to hold a controller? They're gonna be pretty fucked when they get DSs and PSPs, aren't they? And god knows what they'll make of keyboards *gasp*

Top Bottom