• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: June 15-21, 2009

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Sage00 said:
Ah, I thought that was confirmed. It's still just a rumour?
It's not even a rumour, it's just internet speculation that got out of hand. We don't even know what company Matsuno is working at, as far as we know he could just be freelancing right now like he did for MadWorld.

Sorry, but I completely disagree with your "Nintendo has forgotten about us" rants. In fact, I've been nothing but satisfied with Nintendo's output on the Wii this gen. I just don't choose to pigeonhole myself into strict genre play like it seems many gaffers do.

test_account

XP-39C²
lherre said:
Well, according to Kojima, he is only director of Peacewallker and he says in the Sony's E3 conference that Peacewalker is the "true sequel". Besides if I remember correctly, in the peacewalker trailer is shown a "5" in the beginning.
Did he say "a true sequel" or "the true sequel" (as in MGS Rising is a more of a spinoff game)?

lherre said:
Besides if I remember correctly, in the peacewalker trailer is shown a "5" in the beginning.
Ye, i just checked the trailer now and in the end of the trailer there is a counting, which goes up to "5" :) Well, it has one more number or letter after "5", it looks like an upside down "6" or an "E" or something, but "5" seems to be the last number indeed :)

I think it would be cool if MGS5 would come on a portable system instead of a console. Dragon Quest 9 is on a portable system, so maybe MGS5 can be on a portable system as well? :)

But regarding MGS Rising, we will see if it comes out on this generation's consoles (PS3 and Xbox 360) or not :)

EDIT: I fixed a typo, i ment "Did he say", not "Did ye say" hehe :)

donny2112

Grampasso said:
I'm sorry because I can't fully explain the concept since english is not my language and it would be probably misunderstood (probably this post will be misunderstood too, but whatever...),

For English not being your first language, I think your message came across very clearly. I wouldn't lump myself in with your "us," but then I was on the verge of becoming a lapsed gamer before the DS. I was getting tired of playing the same games each generation, and with growing up, it wasn't seeming to be worth the time and money to continue down that path. I found great appeal in just leaving my old systems hooked up and replaying games I know I liked. "But you said you were tired of playing the same games!" I guess what I really meant is I was tired of going into a game expecting something new and finding the same game as the last time I played it each time. With games I'd already played to death, it had the benefit of 1) familiarity, 2) nostalgia ("I remember the first time I did this. Oh, yeah! Where was that hidden item again?" *go searches for it*), and 3) I didn't feel like I missed anything if I stopped playing in the middle of the game, since I'd already beaten it before.

The DS changed that (I was considering becoming handheld-only at that point), and the Wii continued that change. I'd say it even reignited my interest in "regular" games, too.

Grampasso said:
but children minds are much more open than ours, yet much more simple.

I highly value simplicity. KISS is a great concept that needs to be applied more often. Usually if something you're working on is getting too complicated, you need to back off and rethink things, because there's probably a simpler way of doing it that you're just missing. I guess that's basically what Nintendo did, too. They backed off the industry mindset, and rethought things to find a simpler solution.

I also like to think I have a childlike mind in the sense that I can find amusement in small things of life instead of always trying to focus on the bigger "grownup" things. :)

test_account said:
Any reason why so many games got released at the same day?

It's typical for the last week of the month.

ccbfan

I love the whole HD system vs Wii development cost arguments in media topics.

Some people here would argue a tetris game for the PS3 has a higher development cost than Super MArio Galaxy just because "OMGZ HD is expensive".

Also

[PSP] Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (Marvelous Entertainment) - 5,800 (23%)

wasn't a bomb.

Its a failed cash in on basically the same game that came out a year ago on the PSP. A game that has done much better than Marvelous's other rpgs lately.

d[-_-]b

Banned
ccbfan said:
I love the whole HD system vs Wii development cost arguments in media topics.

Some people here would argue a tetris game for the PS3 has a higher development cost than Super MArio Galaxy just because "OMGZ HD is expensive".

Also

[PSP] Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (Marvelous Entertainment) - 5,800 (23%)

wasn't a bomb.

Its a failed cash in on basically the same game that came out a year ago on the PSP. A game that has done much better than Marvelous's other rpgs lately.
So if it failed at what it was suppose to do it didn't bomb?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Why in the hell are we devoting so much time to freaking Valhalla Knights???

Jesus

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
It's typical for the last week of the month.
Ah ok, i didnt know that, thanks for the info :) But yesterday had more releases that usual, right? I cant recall that i have seen that long of a 1st day sales list before at least.

d[-_-]b

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't have the numbers, but we don't have much room for standard comparison, either. 2 of the Wii titles were launch games. One was a December release. That leaves Wii Music.
So if Wii Music is only the comparable title, WSR is doing well then, it's doubled Wii Music's First Week in it's First Day.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
d[-_-]b said:
So if Wii Music is only the comparable title, WSR is doing well then, it's doubled Wii Music's First Week in it's First Day.
Wii Music didn't come with an accessory. That's really proving to be the driving force in Wii X games.

Sage00 said:
Wii Music didn't come with an accessory. That's really proving to be the driving force in Wii X games.

I thought it was because that Wii Music didn't have a easy hook that all the other Wii ____ games had.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Pureauthor said:
I thought it was because that Wii Music didn't have a easy hook that all the other Wii ____ games had.

Maybe a bit of both?

On a related note, assuming Wii Sports Resort doubles its first day total, it will have the 3rd highest debut of any Wii game.

markatisu

schuelma said:
Maybe a bit of both?

On a related note, assuming Wii Sports Resort doubles its first day total, it will have the 3rd highest debut of any Wii game.

If it doubles its 1st day sales and continues strong for 2 more weeks then SE needs to get on a M+ DQS:2 game asap because there will be more M+ units sold then copies of DQ:S

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
markatisu said:
If it doubles its 1st day sales and continues strong for 2 more weeks then SE needs to get on a M+ DQS:2 game asap because there will be more M+ units sold then copies of DQ:S

Or they could just bundle it it with M+.

donny2112

test_account said:
Ah ok, i didnt know that, thanks for the info :) But yesterday had more releases that usual, right? I cant recall that i have seen that long of a 1st day sales list before at least.

It was a little longer than normal, but the last week of the month usually has a larger than normal release list. A game like Animal Crossing: WW would show up on the Top 30 for all the weeks of the month except the last one, and then reappear in the first week of the following month due to the extra releases that week.

Last week in March
Last week in April

Also, there are often more games released than get mentioned at 2ch or sinobi for any particular week. Don't think that all the games released each week are the games we see some numbers for.

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/ship/index.htm

Browse that for a few months back to get an idea of how much is released each week.

Sage00 said:

Same with Wii Sports. That sucker bombed! :lol

jeremy1456

I imagine in the not too distant future GAFfers will be making charts comparing the userbases of motion+ to that of PS3.

It won't be pretty.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
donny2112 said:
Same with Wii Sports. That sucker bombed! :lol
:lol

Ah well, it's the game everyone identifies and is shown the system with, I think that makes it a bit of an anomaly rather than the other way around.

donny2112

jeremy1456 said:
I imagine in the not too distant future GAFfers will be making charts comparing the userbases of motion+ to that of PS3.

It won't be pretty.

Since Motion+ is available outside of WSR (unlike the Balance Board with Wii Fit), it could only be done with shipped data, and that's not as useful.

markatisu said:
Looks like Bionic Commando is going to bomb in JP the same as it catastrophically bombed in the US

And yet it sold half as much in one day on PS3 in Japan as it did on PS3 in the US in one month. :lol

ccbfan said:

I find the argument that all developers across the board can magically keep development costs down the same way that nigh-shovelware niche game companies can when moving to development on a new, more powerful hardware platform equally disingenuous to the one that assumes high dev costs for "any" game on an HD system just because of where they're developed.

markatisu

charlequin said:
And yet it sold half as much in one day on PS3 in Japan as it did on PS3 in the US in one month. :lol

Which makes things that much uglier :lol

I guess Capcom better pray the UK is better since I thought they had expected 500k ww for BC

Grampasso

Thanks to Dash Kappei and Donny for the replies, I thought my post had passed unnoticed and I felt sad because I put quite a bit of heart in it :lol
I agree anyway, I knew that I had to buy another console together with the Wii for traditional games, so Nintendo was right again when they said that while most people would have made a choice between PS3 and X360 all of them would have had a Wii.
And while most of my friends easily get bored with most Wii games I own I really enjoy them - meaning I actually *have fun* with them. And that's what playing is supposed to mean, right? =)

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Motion Plus comparisons: After 1 day, Motion Plus is where X360 was at 45.1 weeks (October 10, 2006) and where PS3 was at 2.9 weeks (November 19, 2006).

Nah, it's farther along than that. Motion+ is sold separately, too, and apparently a lot of people are buying it along with WSR.

Edit:
By the way, I know I've said in that past that I didn't consider Wii Sports Resort a "real" sequel to Wii Sports based on the three games we knew about, at the time. Based on the additional games that have since been made known (including real sports like Golf and Basketball), I've changed my position. I'd still like a Wii Sports Advanced with more fleshed out versions of the Wii Sports games (though Golf is sort of that in WSR), but I think Wii Sports Resort is enough to be considered a sequel to Wii Sports or at least the same level as Wii Sports, if that makes sense.

Just wanted to update. :)

donny2112 said:
Nah, it's farther along than that. Motion+ is sold separately, too, and apparently a lot of people are buying it along with WSR.
Hmm. While that's true, as long as this is multiple Motion Pluses going to a single console, I don't think it makes much difference.

By the way, I know I've said in that past that I didn't consider Wii Sports Resort a "real" sequel to Wii Sports based on the three games we knew about, at the time. Based on the additional games that have since been made known (including real sports like Golf and Basketball), I've changed my position. I'd still like a Wii Sports Advanced with more fleshed out versions of the Wii Sports games (though Golf is sort of that in WSR), but I think Wii Sports Resort is enough to be considered a sequel to Wii Sports or at least the same level as Wii Sports, if that makes sense.

Just wanted to update. :)
Not that I ever was saying what you used to be, but yeah, the more we've learned the more we've seen it contains a lot of the original in it.

Dalthien

markatisu said:
I guess Capcom better pray the UK is better since I thought they had expected 500k ww for BC
Try 1.5 Million - this may very well be the biggest bomb of this generation thus far.

Capcom expectations:
b997vr.jpg

source: Page 7 - http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/data/pdf/fy2009_2rd_quarter_a.pdf

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
At least Dead Rising CTYD was too cheap to make. :lol

Do you know that for sure? I agree it's probable with reusing an existing engine and a likely < 18 month development time. I was just wondering if you had another source for saying that. Still waiting for it to drop to $20 ...

Minsc

Gold Member
There's no way Bionic Commando's budget justifies needing 1.5M in sales is there? Capcom's just getting greedy :lol

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Minsc said:
There's no way Bionic Commando's budget justifies needing 1.5M in sales is there? Capcom's just getting greedy :lol
You don't make games trying to brake even, you make them trying to make profit. Capcom is interested to know where to invest to get the biggest profit.

And the game is an epic bomb, the biggest I've seen this generation.

Minsc

Gold Member
donny2112 said:
$20 million budget + advertising. Maybe?

Did it really have that big a budget? I'm out of the loop for that game, but I'm surprised they put so much in to it. They need to be careful on more platforms than just the Wii it seems.

manueldelalas said:
You don't make games trying to brake even, you make them trying to make profit. Capcom is interested to know where to invest to get the biggest profit.

And the game is an epic bomb, the biggest I've seen this generation.

What's the other game the bombed big? Shipped with some collector's edition of the movie on the PS3 version.

markatisu

Minsc said:
Did it really have that big a budget? I'm out of the loop for that game, but I'm surprised they put so much in to it. They need to be careful on more platforms than just the Wii it seems.

Yes, that was revealed during last months NPD

donny2112

Minsc said:
What's the other game the bombed big? Shipped with some collector's edition of the movie on the PS3 version.

You're thinking of Stranglehold. The PS3 version shipped with the Blu-Ray of Hardboiled, IIRC.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Grampasso said:
Thanks to Dash Kappei and Donny for the replies, I thought my post had passed unnoticed and I felt sad because I put quite a bit of heart in it :lol

That much was clear, and one of the reasons I took the ttime to write at least a short reply, 'cause I know the feeling of forking out a monster post just to have it go completely ignored by Gaffers :lol

And because, even if a bit on the OT side, it was actually a nice post.
And your english is fine mate :)
english is not my first launguage either though :p

Top Bottom