• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 16-22, 2009

duckroll said:
Don't you already have a PS3? Why would you buy a.... used one? ^^;

as he bought 200 versions of ps3/360 bundles, limited editions, standard versions of re5 he can't now afford to buy a new ps3 ff13 bundle.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DR2K said:
I believe Famitsu predicted that FFXIII would push 500k PS3s overall.

Yeah I think that was for December.

Stopsign said:
125k is a lot for any sort of limited edition bundle. Typically they produce anywhere from 25k-75k worth of bundles, and I somehow doubt this is any exception. Anyone have bundle numbers from any previous games?

I think you are right. For consoles, the number bundles are comprised between 20k-50k and rarely over 50k. Japanese retailers want to save space and prefer that the demand is larger than the offer!!!

schuelma

well, just going by comgnet, NSMB Wii had over 1.5 times as many preorders as NSMB DS.

Should be interesting

Edit- re-reading this it appears as though I'm saying actual preorder numbers are 1.5 times higher..to clarify, NSMB Wii had 1.5 the amount of preorders on the Comgnet internet site only.

schuelma said:
well, just going by comgnet, NSMB Wii had over 1.5 times as many preorders as NSMB DS.

Should be interesting
Maybe we'll get a bunch of pics with Japanese lining up in a few hours to shorten the wait till the sinobi update. :p

schuelma

slaughterking said:
Maybe we'll get a bunch of pics with Japanese lining up in a few hours to shorten the wait till the sinobi update. :p

Is this a game people are going to line up for on a weekday morning?

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
Could be tiring, but I think the article mentioned earlier today is a better indicator

That is GH and RB biggest problems in the US for retailers (genre fatigue is the consumers problem), they are absolutely flooded with plastic instruments that are highly priced and do not move as often.
Indeed, that is true as you say, but since this is the 2nd Taiko game for the Wii, wouldnt the stores also stock many standalone copies that only includes the game itself and not the extra plastic instruments (which doesnt take more space than a normal Wii game does)? I would at least assume that standalone copies excist of Taiko Drum Master Wii 2?

But ye, games/bundles that has boxes that are noticeably bigger than normal game boxes definitly takes up more space in the stores, so i can see why if stores wants to stock less of these bundles.

And going by the Famitsu leaks, Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 dropped 10k (about 38.4%) from the 1st week to the 2nd week, which isnt that big of a drop in my opinion. I think it shall be interesting to see how Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 will contunie to sell and how it will sell compared to Taiko Drum Master Wii 1 :)

schuelma

nextgeneration said:
December is going to be a fascinating month to witness sales wise in Japan. Fun times for sales agers. :D

Yes. Pathetic as it sounds, this is going to be a great month for me :lol

markatisu

test_account said:
Indeed, that is true as you say, but since this is the 2nd Taiko game for the Wii, wouldnt the stores also stock many standalone copies that only includes the game itself and not the extra plastic instruments (which doesnt take more space than a normal Wii game does)? I would at least assume that standalone copies excist of Taiko Drum Master Wii 2?

But ye, games/bundles that has boxes that are noticeably bigger than normal game boxes definitly takes up more space in the stores, so i can see why if stores wants to stock less of these bundles.

And going by the Famitsu leaks, Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 dropped 10k (about 38.4%) from the 1st week to the 2nd week, which isnt that big of a drop in my opinion. I think it shall be interesting to see how Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 will contunie to sell and how it will sell compared to Taiko Drum Master Wii 1 :)

Retailers could figured it was best to stock more bundles, almost like the opposite of how Capcom and retailers completely botched MHG and MH3 for Wii by having more standalone copies than bundles.

I am not sure if we were ever told what the breakdown of the two was, just that a low % of the shipment sold 1st day

cvxfreak

Well, I have to go to the bank today, and my bank happens to be in the middle of a bunch of different game stores.

There's also a Starbucks nearby. So, yay. :D

Spiegel

schuelma said:

Should be interesting

Comgnet preorders:

[NDS]New Super Mario Bros - 688
[Wii]New Super Mario Bros - 1072

[PSP] Gundam VS Gundam - 393
[PSP] Gundam VS Gundam NEXT PLUS - 402

[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable - 303
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 - 535

[PS2] Samurai Warriors 2 - 585 (last known data was from four days before release)
[Wii] Samurai Warriors 3 - 137

test_account

XP-39C²
nextgeneration said:
December is going to be a fascinating month to witness sales wise in Japan. Fun times for sales agers. :D
Indeed, i agree :)

schuelma said:
Yes. Pathetic as it sounds, this is going to be a great month for me :lol
I dont think that it sounds pathetic, i think that it is cool to see that people are looking forward to things and i think that it is cool to see that people are enjoying sales numbers :) I am also looking much forward to see the sales numbers in December :)

markatisu said:
Retailers could figured it was best to stock more bundles, almost like the opposite of how Capcom and retailers completely botched MHG and MH3 for Wii by having more standalone copies than bundles.

I am not sure if we were ever told what the breakdown of the two was, just that a low % of the shipment sold 1st day
Ye, that might be one reason indeed, but i think that the stores in general ordered a relatively good amount of the standalone version as well. Bttb posted some 1st day numbers about 5-6 days ago which i think shows the breakdown between the bundle and the standalone version:

bttb said:
[WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 2 - SA 9,800 (8%) / BE 4,200 (3%)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18653451&postcount=213

I would at least guess that "SA" is standalone and "BE" is the bundle? :)

But i think that it is still early to say how Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 will sell in the long run. I think that it has a good chance to sell fairly good at least, but it shall be interesting to see how the game will contunie to sell :)

EDIT: I added some text.

EDIT 2: It was bttb who posted the first day numbers for Taiko Drum Master Wii 2, and not Road as i first though who posted the first day numbers. I have edited my post now, i am sorry about the mistake.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Comgnet preorders:

Yeah PSP 2 had a very substantial jump. I predicted it high, but not that high.

And I think better comparisons for SW3 frankly are the PS3 Musou games (which are still significantly higher).

Spiegel

schuelma said:
Yeah PSP 2 hada very substantial jump. I predicted it high, but not that high.

Yeah.

I don't think it's going to sell significantly higher (or even higher) though

schuelma said:
And I think better comparisons for SW3 frankly are the PS3 Musou games (which are still significantly higher).

Samurai Warriors 2 Tsutae Masaru (2007) would be a good comparison too.

Comgnet - 261
Famitsu first week - 175k

cvxfreak

If Samurai Warriors 3 does as bad as the indicators show, then it's Koei's fucking fault for drowning every other non-Nintendo system on the market with Musou games before doing this.

That said, I'm sure it'll hit the other systems in good time, and Koei'll have one or two re-releases to make up for any potential shortfalls.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
If Samurai Warriors 3 does as bad as the indicators show, then it's Koei's fucking fault for drowning every other non-Nintendo system on the market with Musou games before doing this.

Yeah that made no sense to me.

ccbfan

cvxfreak said:

That said, I'm sure it'll hit the other systems in good time, and Koei'll have one or two re-releases to make up for any potential shortfalls.

Are you saying SW3 is gonna bomb since Koei haven't made any other musou for it yet and not building up a base while they have with other syytems?

Cause considering how third party sequels that are similar to its predecessor usually do on the Wii. It might be a good idea not to drown the Wii with a musou before hand.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't think it makes sense to compare COMGNET numbers to first week numbers in an effort to find, discuss, or speculate on "multipliers".

I do think it makes sense to compare COMGNET numbers to COMGNET numbers for the same series to suggest in general which way the series is going.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
schuelma said:
Would have been very cheap to do given all the PS2 releases.
what about tempest effect of poisoning the well with crappy releases?

I think I read that they were crappy.

(I'm not disputing they probably should have done a wii release of an actual game at some point, but I can only blame the Gordian knot so much)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I just want to say that I'm freakin' happy to see how big the Inazuma Eleven franchise got, the anime series and the word of mouth on the first game did wonders (double sku didn't hurt either :lol ).
Hopefully they'll want to spice up those sales with EU/NA release of the games.

Did we ever get an official announcement about the console game?
Was it for Wii or Wii/PS2/PSP?

schuelma

ccbfan said:
Cause considering how third party sequels that are similar to its predecessor usually do on the Wii. It might be a good idea not to drown the Wii with a musou before hand.

Err..how many of these titles have appeared on the Wii?

Brofist

°°ToMmY°° said:
as he bought 200 versions of ps3/360 bundles, limited editions, standard versions of re5 he can't now afford to buy a new ps3 ff13 bundle.
I don't blame him, I've seen that FFXIII PS3 in person, I wouldn't take that thing for free.

We know SW3 is going to come to every system under the sun sooner or later anyway, so Koei should be able to make up any disappointments with their Wii SKU performance.

ccbfan

schuelma said:
Err..how many of these titles have appeared on the Wii?

Not so much talking about musou but more about the fact that wii owners don't seem to buy similar sequels like other systems.

Stuff like PES, Taiko, deca, m&s, ect.

All saw drastic drops from 1 to the next. Its like Wii owners basically say "We already bought this crap last time. We're not paying full price for basically the same thing in a new package." And if there's anything that fits basically the same thing in a new package its musou games from koei.

So the first of this type will probably be the best seller to this audience. So if you get only one shot might as well make a major one like SW3 instead of wasting time and good will porting old PS2 games.

schuelma

ccbfan said:
Not so much talking about musou but more about the fact that wii owners don't seem to buy similar sequels like other systems.

All saw drastic drops from 1 to the next. Its like Wii owners basically say "We already bought this crap last time. We're not paying full price for basically the same thing in a new package." And if there's anything that fits basically the same thing in a new package its musou games from koei.

Oh ok..yeah I think that is a definite possibility.

ccbfan said:

Dude what are you talking about they have Tachibana Muneshige this time.

TACHIBANA MUNESHIGE

Khrno

Worth nothing that there are exceptions such as Resident Evil and Monster Hunter, which a previous port helped to raise awareness before bringing out the next new game. Maybe it's that Capcom knows how to milk franchises better than some other publishers?

The Musou genre is certainly overpopulated, SW3 this will be the eight Musou title this year from Koei.

[Nintex] said:

I believe the appellation you're looking for is "Crapcom."

Vilix said:
My gut's telling me that FFXIII has the same anticipation behind it that FFVII had with the PS2.

That's probably just indigestion.

duckroll said:
I would say 150-170k is a realistic goal for the PS3 on the week FFXIII is released.

I agree. 160k would basically be PS3's baseline doubling from last year, plus a weekly bump of 80k, which should be about right.

In fact, I think it is less interesting what the PS3 does in the week of FFXIII alone, but how long it maintains a high number in the weeks that follow.

Agreed again.

linsivvi

Y2Kev said:
Meh, I wouldn't blame koei

Koei announced a series of paid DLCs before the game even launched. We aren't even talking about costumes and horse armors here. They are selling "additional" scenarios. So they are selling a game with marginally better graphics than the PS2 games, less game modes, and with stuff that would have been on the disc during last gen, to an audience who is suffering from serious genre fatigue. They have to take a lot of blame for sure.

cvxfreak

I think the battle for first sales can be a toss up between NSMB Wii and Phantasy Star Portable 2. Wasn't around this morning, but I noticed both titles selling very briskly.

Samurai Warriors 3 Wii bundles not sold out right away like the MH3 bundle. Oh noes.

Predictions:

[NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami) - 75k
[PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega) - 360k
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai) - 200k
[PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami) - 40k
[WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 999k
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 140k
[WII] PokePark Wii: Pikachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.) - 110k
[PS3] Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft) - 60k

Numbers not equal or over these numbers will be very disappointing!!!

Top Bottom