• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 16-22, 2009

Spiegel

1. [NDS] Layton Kyouju to Majin no Fue (Level 5)
2. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo)
3. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
4. [WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 2010
5. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.)
6. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5)
7. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
8. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
9. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Dodon to 2 Yome! (Namco Bandai)
10. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)

Vinnk

I think Pokepark might be higher than some of you predict. Not a big ad sweep or anything but there are way more posters and things up for this than I expected. Usually right next to the NSMBWii stuff. Makes me think they are trying to position it as the "other" title you pick up when buying the Christmas Wii.

But havn't been out much this week. New baby is keeping me pretty busy.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The lack of leaks lately is very disturbing. Very disturbing.

Cygnus X-1

Spiegel said:
1. [NDS] Layton Kyouju to Majin no Fue (Level 5)
2. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo)
3. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
4. [WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 2010
5. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.)
6. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire / Blizzard (Level 5)
7. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
8. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
9. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Dodon to 2 Yome! (Namco Bandai)
10. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)

I had the impression that the DS/Wii domination was finished recently. What happened? Oh, maybe it's just this week.

schuelma

Cygnus X-1 said:
I had the impression that the DS/Wii domination was finished recently. What happened? Oh, maybe it's just this week.

With regards to consoles, I think you're going to see ebbs and flows at least software wise for the rest of this gen. PS3 has one really big game in the next 2 months- FF13. Numbers wise you're going to see the Wii have more titles up there. of course, right now February and March looks a lot better for the PS3. I think its unwise to read too much into things one way or the other.

Spiegel

Cygnus X-1 said:

Last week

PSP - 15
NDS - 14
PS3 - 9
WII - 9
360 - 3

schuelma

So apparently we aren't getting any numbers today.

Awesome

ethelred

schuelma said:

Awesome

We get a really cool article instead.

2009 saw lots of major releases. Some sold at or above expectations (Dragon Quest IX). Others failed to achieve their expected sales (see below).

One game shop has set out to compile a list of games that fall in the latter category. The shop is asking other retailers to send in their top five list of games that sold less than expected.

[...]

1: Blood of Bahamut
Completely torn apart by Dragon Quest IX, and wasn't even supported properly by Square Enix.

2: Monster Hunter 3 (standard version)
The bundle version had a high sell-through, but Capcom's "fraudlike shipping methods" caused problems. While the standard version didn't take a loss, you apparently had to sell about 50 units to make a profit of ¥4,000.

3: Taiko Drum Master Wii 2
There's still the chance for a comeback during the holiday sales rush, but the game is in a state where some shops are trying to get rid of it even at a loss. The big problem is apparently the space required for storing the game.

4 & 5: Mario & Sonic Vancouver DS/Wii
The sell through is "extremely bad," particularly for the DS version.

[Nintex]

2: Monster Hunter 3 (standard version)
The bundle version had a high sell-through, but Capcom's "fraudlike shipping methods" caused problems. While the standard version didn't take a loss, you apparently had to sell about 50 units to make a profit of ¥4,000.
Scamcom?

cvxfreak said:
I also believe the current Wii userbase is bigger than the DS's was back then.
Yeah, by a little.
2006-11-27

jesusraz

ethelred said:
That just sounds like the retailer struggled for ideas. "Hmm, 5 games? Well, Blood of Bahamut, yeah! Um...4 more?!" *panics*

The other four are just a list of the most recent 'big-name' releases, three of which could well grow considerably in the coming weeks...

Jonnyram

schuelma said:
Thanks for that. Interesting on Capcom with MH Tri- if the standalone was such a bad deal for retailers, couldn't they have not taken such big shipments?
Sure, if they wanted to lose business to other retailers!

Spiegel

[NDS] Layton Kyouju to Majin no Fue (Level 5) - 301k
[NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 68k
[WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 48k
[WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 2010 - 44k
[NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 37k
[WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Dodon to 2 Yome! (Namco Bandai) - 16k
[WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii DX - 5k
[360] Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 - 15k

DSiLL - 75k
PSP - 40k
PSP GO - 3900
WII - 42k
PS3 - 39k

Is there a reason for the crossing of streams (outside of the fact it very well can be statistical noise :))? Anticipation for NMSW? Or was there a big release this week for Wii?

Edit: nevermind. Wii and PS3 have been so close to each other for a while now. No surprise they sometimes switch places I guess.

onken

Interesting. Wii had a few releases and maybe some early impact from NSMB, pushing hardware up. PS3 had exactly zip and still got a boost. Holiday ramp-up started already?

jeremy1456

onken said:
Interesting. Wii had a few releases and maybe some early impact from NSMB, pushing hardware up. PS3 had exactly zip and still got a boost. Holiday ramp-up started already?

If we're talking about early impacts why shouldn't be include FFXIII's?

duckroll

cw_sasuke said:
No DSi Sales ?

The DSiLL seems to have taken over, so the sales of the DSi and DSL are insignificant now. The DSi is probably still higher than the PSP Go, but the Go is listed because it's actually a current product. :lol

schuelma

onken said:

Yeah. Last year PS3 did 35K because of WE and didn't go below that number for the rest of the year.

duckroll said:
The DSiLL seems to have taken over, so the sales of the DSi and DSL are insignificant now. The DSi is probably still higher than the PSP Go, but the Go is listed because it's actually a current product. :lol
The DSi appeared to be pretty much unaffected by the launch of the LL. I don't think it's much lower than last week.

schuelma

duckroll said:
I think PS3 hitting 100k or more with FFXIII is a very real possibility. The question is, how much more.

I think hitting 100K is a lock..the only question is how high. Some people have said 200K.. I don't see it getting that high, but I think 150K or a bit more is definitely possible.

onken

schuelma said:
Yeah. Last year PS3 did 35K because of WE and didn't go below that number for the rest of the year.

Not really comparable since WE was released at the end of Nov last year.

schuelma

onken said:
Not really comparable since WE was released at the end of Nov last year.

I already said that WE was released that week in my post. My point was even after that spike it never went down again which tells me the holiday season started.

duckroll

schuelma said:
I think hitting 100K is a lock..the only question is how high. Some people have said 200K.. I don't see it getting that high, but I think 150K or a bit more is definitely possible.

200k would be pretty crazy. I'm not that confident yet. :lol

onken

schuelma said:
"Last year PS3 did 35K because of WE"

Am I missing something?

Yes you keep implying that hardware sales are in line with 2008 when it's blatantly not the case.

Firstly, it did drop the week after WE came out (w/c Dec 1) last year, then started going up again the week after that. Which means the holiday ramp-up (i.e. hardware spike without software stimulus) didn't start until w/c Dec 8th. This year we're seeing an apparently ramp up w/c Nov 23, 2 weeks earlier and at a higher figure, which is surprising.

This is aside from the fact that WE came out several weeks earlier, so there was never any chance of the hardware bump running on to December, unlike last year.

are they airing all of those FFXIII ads right now in Japan? There's about 5 different ones i've seen online
i wouldn't be surprised if the bump is because of FFXIII if that's the case

Serenity

schuelma said:

Awesome

I bet this is one prediction you're glad you got wrong ;p

So is the wii starting to track ahead of or match last years holiday sales?

Is it you that has been posting the chart detailing and comparing 2007, 2008 AND 2009.

TheRagnCajun said:
Pretty obvious Wii's on a ramp up now.
As for PS3, who knows. 39k is what it did two weeks ago. It might linger around there for another week.

How is one obvious and the other not when they both went up and are only seperated by 3k units? Was there even a release for Ps3 this week?

Pretty obvious Wii's on a ramp up now.
As for PS3, who knows. 39k is what it did two weeks ago. It might linger around there for another week.

duckroll

BlazingDarkness said:
are they airing all of those FFXIII ads right now in Japan? There's about 5 different ones i've seen online
i wouldn't be surprised if the bump is because of FFXIII if that's the case

They started running TV ads this week.

Top Bottom