• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 2-8, 2009

DMeisterJ

Banned
Nirolak said:
They're expecting about a million overseas for Monster Hunter 3 this fiscal year as well. :lol

Perhaps they can at least... ship 600,000 or so.

Yeah, 900k... They said 2 million altogether, and it's at 1.1 in Japan, and I don't see it shipping much more when it still hasn't cleared 1 million *Not that we'd know since it isn't charting*

It should be interesting to see if they do complete that task.

markatisu

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, 900k... They said 2 million altogether, and it's at 1.1 in Japan, and I don't see it shipping much more when it still hasn't cleared 1 million *Not that we'd know since it isn't charting*

It should be interesting to see if they do complete that task.

Ahem...

Famitsu leak Nov 2-8, 2009

27. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 4.800 / 940.000

kay

Hero of Canton said:
I'm interested to hear more from you on this. I mean, looking at what's been announced, it's clear there's not much in the immediate future from third-parties, but I'd be happy to be educated further by someone who knows a little more than I do...
I'm just going by the information readily available to see by anyone. The huge difference in number of 2010 targeted releases for all systems is pretty shocking, considering the system has sold this much. It is in last by a good amount (I count 20 total, half 1st party).

To the people who were wondering whether there was a game that launched simultaneously, there are 3 examples but none of them are big titles. I only chose Japanese developed games but the western games sell much better on the HD systems if you wanted to know about those.

X360 2007-12-13 Shikigami no Shiro III Arc System Works 6090 3,074
Wii 2007-12-13 Shikigami no Shiro III Arc System Works 6090 970

PS3 2008-03-13 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 Koei 7560 28,873
Wii 2008-03-13 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 Koei 7140 1,500

PS3 2009-04-02 Winning Post World Koei 7560 29,570
Wii 2009-04-02 Winning Post World Koei 7140 1,300

The Wii totals (and the 1 X360) are all first week so it isn't the whole picture, but I don't think it would be much more if the data was known.

Monster Hunter 3 has to get rid of the shipment so it will continue selling at a much reduced price.
http://kakaku.com/item/41192110241/pricehistory/
It has been over 50% off for quite a while which is not good for retailers for such a large seller.

markatisu

DMeisterJ said:
It wasn't charting a few weeks ago right? In general it's about to fall off the charts what with all the new releases, so we probably won't know.

^
I mean top 30

It already fell off the chart once, its lower on the MC chart I think (in the 31-45 range).

But Christmas will probably bring it back in since Wii titles usually get a bump. Its leveled at 3-5k so I guess if the Top 30 is generally shitty we will see it, if the Top 30 is great it will be gone till we get those updates like the Top 100 or 500

DMeisterJ said:
It wasn't charting a few weeks ago right? In general it's about to fall off the charts what with all the new releases, so we probably won't know.

^

I mean top 30

As noted earlier, it has stabilised at 5k a week, and holiday sales may bump it a little more. We should still see it for a month or two yet and have some idea of how close it gets to a million before it falls off entirely.

obonicus

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Huh, I found this weird.
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/11/12/four_warriors_shortages/

First day was 85,000 with 46% sell through, which translates to a ~185k first day shipment. As of last Sunday, 155k sold, so 30k left if there were no other shipments, which seems fair to assume given the post.

The interesting part to me is that he promises more units for ... the end of November? Is this how Nintendo treats 3rd parties with big games like FF Gaiden in the manufacturing process? wow.

Oh, and let me please laugh at all these so clever strategies given to Capcom for Monster Hunter development involving giving the middle finger to the system where Monster Hunter has sold more than 6m units with 3 PS2 ports in one country. Ha.

Funny how slowly burning a captain-obvious-size overshipment is called legs these days too.

I've been wondering if something like this didn't happen to Strange Journey. Do we know anything about Nintendo's fabrication capacity?

Mithos

Cosmonaut X said:
As noted earlier, it has stabilised at 5k a week, and holiday sales may bump it a little more. We should still see it for a month or two yet and have some idea of how close it gets to a million before it falls off entirely.

I am kinda more interested in the still paying players of Monster Hunter 3, because Capcom could still be making quite some cash on this game, even though the sales are slow.

BishopLamont said:
Why are you so bent on what Capcom is doing with the MH franchise on the PSP? The way they're doing it is the best way to milk the franchise. They've improved the franchise on the console front and when it gets ported to the PSP it'll do gangbusters no matter when it releases. The PSP fanbase doesn't mind that it's a port, they never did, otherwise it wouldn't be the franchise it is today. It doesn't matter if it's MH3P or MH3 PSP, it'll sell regardless.

Oh and if a game keeps selling it means it has legs, doesn't matter if it's selling 1k, 10k or 50k a week. NSMB and MK DS still sells a few thousand copies each week, would you not call that legs?
Your total confidence on the PSP userbase not minding being treated like shit does not equal reality. You don't know what will happen or what would have happened otherwise. Also, way preposterous to compare how and when PSP got its current ports to how and when it would get a MH3 one. And its certainly not me showing what strategies should Capcom follow to maximize MH sales, so if anything you should ask yourself why are people here so bent on how Capcom should try to keep MH off PSP as much as possible.

Did NSMB ship 6m first day and is still trying to sell through it at reduced prices and not a single subsequent shipment? There's legs, and there's overshipment. You think an overshipped title has legs? Lets see how it sells after the overshipment is sold through.

markatisu

Mithos said:
I am kinda more interested in the still paying players of Monster Hunter 3, because Capcom could still be making quite some cash on this game, even though the sales are slow.

Well anecodtally they had to add more servers a month after the game was released, I cannot take my copy online because I do not want to change my Wii Shop Channel to a JP one but I know there are two members who frequent these threads who could give an update.

If I am not mistaken there are still quests going on and Capcom seems intent on pushing the online, at least until the PSP version comes out.

DR2K

Banned
Chris1964 said:
A PS3 Monster Hunter makes no sense when Capcom can make much, much more money with Wii Monster Hunter 3 G.

Makes about as much sense as a console version with the success of the portable games.

ccbfan said:
Should I be expecting a Persona 2 Portable, Persona 4 Portable and a Persona 5 announcement soon?

I expect (maybe just due to wishful thinking) one (or two separate, more likely) Persona 2 remakes for PSP before they get to 4, and I think P5 for PSP is practically a lock at this point. :lol

schuelma said:
I feel like at this point most 3rd parties have their strategies set.

Really? What's SE's strategy? What's Namco's strategy? What's Konami's strategy?

I don't think almost anyone in Japan has their freaking act together.

7Th said:
You really think MHTri wouldn't sell rather well in PS3?

I think it would sell dramatically worse now than it would have as an exclusive or simultaneous release.

Jonnyram said:
It's a Tales game. Even when two versions come out for the same platform, and one version is the Superman version versus the Leper version, the fans will still buy both. So I don't get your point. At all.

Uh, his point is pretty obviously that Scamco's mismanagement has turned Tales from a series that sold 6-800k with each installment into a series where breaking 300k with the latest installment was considered a stunning success. :lol

ethelred said:
The audience for games like that just aren't there, though.

In fairness, would anybody really be happy if the audience was there for incoherent, poorly thought-out physics-noodling ARPG-esque thingies on the Wii?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
And how does that sound anything other than giving it the middle finger?

Referring to the strategy that's made Monster Hunter a bazillion-selling series on PSP (porting proven console titles to it with local multiplayer and added content) "giving [the PSP] the finger" is just kind of dopey.

ethelred said:
Agreed. I've seen a lot of criticism about Square's outsourcing strategy this gen, and I think it's a pretty poor thing to attack. I think this strategy has been one of the better elements brought to the company thanks to the Enix merger. Given how tied up much of the company's internal resources have been on big flagship titles, the outsourcing has enabled Square to continue to put out a high volume of games, most of which still live up to the company's quality expectations.

Agreed. SE has mostly handled outsourcing in the good way: pairing internal high-level designers and art teams with external coders, drastically increasing the number of games these staff can produce without using up SE's internal development capacity.

When this leads to bad results, you can safely blame the fact that SE has too many high-level designers run amok with terrible ideas, not the quality of the outsourcing. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
charlequin said:
Really? What's SE's strategy? What's Namco's strategy? What's Konami's strategy?

Fair point. Strategy isn't the right word (although I would argue that SE has made it clear they are supporting the portables very heavily, if that can be called a strategy).

I guess my point, hopefully phrased better, is that for most individual franchises right now, where they currently reside is where they are going to stay. I hope that made some bit of sense.

charlequin said:
Referring to the strategy that's made Monster Hunter a bazillion-selling series on PSP (porting proven console titles to it with local multiplayer and added content) "giving [the PSP] the finger" is just kind of dopey.
I'm not referring to what Capcom did in the past there, I'm referring to the strategies posted here for the future MH releases. Also, Capcom current strategy of throwing PSP a spinoff (god knows when, god knows what it is) with no mention on any port isn't the same strategy they used in the past either.

Laguna

Banned
I don´t know how MHunite was advertised in the USA but here in Europe it got a pretty good ad campaign (tv ads, print mags). Capcom are clever enough to cash in PSP owners money with another MH someday but I´m with markiatsu´s opinion that they may try to strengthen the series on consoles first.

faridmon

Laguna said:
I don´t know how MHunite was advertised in the USA but here in Europe it got a pretty good ad campaign (tv ads, print mags). Capcom are clever enough to cash in PSP owners money with another MH someday but I´m with markiatsu´s opinion that they may try to strengthen the series on consoles first.
yeah, it was advertised heavily here in UK. I was astonished when Monster Hunter Ad came before Harry Potter movie (or was it another movie?), i was shell shocked since i always thought the series was niche here in Europe.

kassatsu

Banned
Takao said:
I remember hearing from American friends about some "Enclycopedia Gigantica" etc, ads for Unite airing on [AdultSwim]. Although, that's not much advertising, it's a late night cable network block.
I also saw a bunch of ads on NYC subway trains.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Your total confidence on the PSP userbase not minding being treated like shit does not equal reality. You don't know what will happen or what would have happened otherwise. Also, way preposterous to compare how and when PSP got its current ports to how and when it would get a MH3 one. And its certainly not me showing what strategies should Capcom follow to maximize MH sales, so if anything you should ask yourself why are people here so bent on how Capcom should try to keep MH off PSP as much as possible.

Did NSMB ship 6m first day and is still trying to sell through it at reduced prices and not a single subsequent shipment? There's legs, and there's overshipment. You think an overshipped title has legs? Lets see how it sells after the overshipment is sold through.
How is the PSP userbase getting treated like shit? It hasn't even been 6 months since MH3 came out, and the home of MH has always been on home consoles. You might think the port it eventually gets equates to being treated like shit, but will the PSP userbase think that? I don't think so. I don't think anyone is trying to keep MH off PSP, merely just stating what Capcom is likely to do. It's in Capcom's nature to port their games to every platform you can think of.

Well yeah they did overship a bit, but at least it's still selling, and ofcourse after the shipment is sold through it won't sell great anymore, it's only doing 5k a week.

charlequin said:

I don't think almost anyone in Japan has their freaking act together.
Hahaha, pretty much this.

Takao

Banned
Laguna said:

In the UK atleast, didn't they also rent a place for people to ad-hoc battle? Along with the demo released on UMD from Encylcopedia Gigantica (IIRC), it seems they tried to make Unite sucessful atleast.

charlequin said:
I expect (maybe just due to wishful thinking) one (or two separate, more likely) Persona 2 remakes for PSP before they get to 4, and I think P5 for PSP is practically a lock at this point. :lol

Please don't say that. :(

FoneBone

Dragona Akehi said:
It's good to note that MH Unite (aka MHP2G) has sold through over 150k in North America with absolutely no advertising, just word of mouth.
I don't know what kind of TV/print presence it had, but there were a lot of ads on the NYC subways, actually.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I saw MH: Unite ads on MTV, MTV2 during the day, and during Adult Swim. I mean, it was nowhere near the presence of any of the recent PS3 ads since the slim, but I saw it fairly regularly.

BishopLamont said:
How is the PSP userbase getting treated like shit? It hasn't even been 6 months since MH3 came out, and the home of MH has always been on home consoles. You might think the port it eventually gets equates to being treated like shit, but will the PSP userbase think that? I don't think so.
Of course I didn't say that. You said:
...when it gets ported to the PSP it'll do gangbusters no matter when it releases. The PSP fanbase doesn't mind that it's a port, they never did, otherwise it wouldn't be the franchise it is today. It doesn't matter if it's MH3P or MH3 PSP, it'll sell regardless.
Those are a few absolute statements about them not caring at all about how they get treated, come on :p

About next week predictions (input needed)
Oh, given the chance these extra posts give me, what should we do about next week releases predictions? See Christ1964 list and there's nothing really big other than Taiko 2 (and maybe its a slow seller so no big start either). I was thinking either skipping this week or using Taiko 2, Mario & Sonic DS, Dorabase 2 DS and Armored Core PSP. Opinions?

cvxfreak

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Oh, and let me please laugh at all these so clever strategies given to Capcom for Monster Hunter development involving giving the middle finger to the system where Monster Hunter has sold more than 6m units with 3 PS2 ports in one country. Ha.

It's not only Monster Hunter Capcom does this to!

schuelma

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
About next week predictions (input needed)
Oh, given the chance these extra posts give me, what should we do about next week releases predictions? See Christ1964 list and there's nothing really big other than Taiko 2 (and maybe its a slow seller so no big start either). I was thinking either skipping this week or using Taiko 2, Mario & Sonic DS, Dorabase 2 DS and Armored Core PSP. Opinions?

I almost lean towards skipping this week. Is anything on that list likely to break 50K?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Um, there was a ton of MHF Unite advertising, including a TV ad, print ad, and this subway ad I took on my way home from work in July...

mohun.jpg

Not many games get subway ads.

schuelma said:
I almost lean towards skipping this week. Is anything on that list likely to break 50K?
All hard to say, but Dorabase 1 did 96k (in the middle of December), Taiko 115k (start of December) and Mario & Sonic DS did 91k (middle of January). So they could break 50k, but it seems like throwing blind guesses at it. Could be 10% or 100% or those starts.

schuelma

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
All hard to say, but Dorabase 1 did 96k (in the middle of December), Taiko 115k (start of December) and Mario & Sonic DS did 91k (middle of January). So they could break 50k, but it seems like throwing blind guesses at it. Could be 10% or 100% or those starts.

Yeah agreed. I'll predict if we do it, but I'd say this week might be a good one to take off.

schuelma

Wow, looks like the trackers are starting to disagree again...

PS3 48,925
DSi 37,421
PSP 33,784
Wii 31,810
PSP go 13,992
DS Lite 5,515
Xbox 360 4,679
PS2 2,066

Tenbatsu

Nirolak said:
You have a strong point here.

Do we actually have a date for Monster Hunter 3 in North America beyond Q1? I was originally expecting it to come in March, but now that I think about it, it might come earlier so the marketing train on the next PSP title can get going.
Capcom is basically following the same release pattern for the original MH for MH3.

In order to maximize profit:
1. MH3 - Wii
2. MH3 NA - Wii
3. MH3G - Wii
4. MH3GP - PSP/DS2

Past MH/MHG release dates:
MH
JP 2004-03-11 - PS2
NA 2004-09-21 - PS2

MHG
JP 2005-01-20 - PS2

MHP
JP 2005-12-01 - PSP

See the pattern? Releasing MH3GP before MH3G Wii is stupid. Nobody will wanna buy MH3G and pay for online fee when they can get to play ad hoc/online MH3GP for free. Anw I might be wrong too.

Road

Chris1964 said:
thedrill blog gave a second pair of numbers this week which 99% are the exact Media Create numbers. Too bad they gave no early hardware leak but if this pattern continues and Media Create doesn't prevent them from doing it again (yeah, right...) I can live with that.
We even get seperate sales for Pokemon HG/SS and Inazuma Eleven 2.

01. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 217.848 / 217.848
02. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 69.797 / 849.860
03. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 63.571 / 1.582.995
04. [PSP] Persona 3 Portable (Atlus Co.) - 46.459 / 140.746
05. [NDS] Pokemon Soul Silver (Pokemon Co.) - 41.645 / 1.503.034
06. [NDS] 4 Warriors of Light: Final Fantasy Gaiden (Square Enix) - 35.195 / 149.909
07. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold (Pokemon Co.) - 31.909 / 1.414.676
08. [PS3] Bayonetta (Sega) - 29.361 / 164.603
09. [NDS] Summon Night X: Tears Crown (Namco Bandai) - 24.451 / 24.451
10. [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo) - 21.541 / 21.541
Best Media Create leak since... ever?

The numbers do match. Nice.

Seems like M-C is a bit more excited with PS3 and Wii hardware sales.

DMeisterJ

Banned
schuelma said:

PS3 48,925
DSi 37,421
PSP 33,784
Wii 31,810
PSP go 13,992
DS Lite 5,515
Xbox 360 4,679
PS2 2,066

Well, shit. Good PS3 numbas.

Based on this week's Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 47.3 / 52.7 bring total shares to 68.3 / 31.7. At this week's rates PSP catches up in 3,116.4 weeks (July 31, 2069). If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 315.7 weeks (November 27, 2015).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 8.7 / 91.3 bring total shares to 23.4 / 76.6. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 561.5 weeks (August 13, 2020).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 60.6 / 39.4 bring total shares to 30.4 / 69.6. At this week's rates, PS3 catches up to Wii in 286.2 weeks (May 5, 2015). If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 100.1 weeks (October 10, 2011).

Week over week, PSP comes back down, but passes off first place to another member of the Play®Station Family©.
X360

Through the first forty-five weeks of the year, overall sales are down. However, the systems can be split into camps of 3 up and 3 down. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -48.4%
DSL+DSi: +9.0%
PS2: -55.5%
PS3: +52.8%
PSP+PSPGo: -43.3%
X360: +37.8%

Home hardware: -23.2%
Portable hardware: -19.5%

Nintendo hardware: -17.2%
Sony hardware: -28.6%

Sum of all hardware: -20.5%

Last year:

This year:

Y2Kev said:
Um, there was a ton of MHF Unite advertising, including a TV ad, print ad, and this subway ad I took on my way home from work in July...

mohun.jpg

Not many games get subway ads.
i saw the new professor layton and blue dsi posted all over the F train back in oct or end of sept

schuelma said:

PS3 48,925
DSi 37,421
PSP 33,784
Wii 31,810
PSP go 13,992
DS Lite 5,515
Xbox 360 4,679
PS2 2,066

Wow thats a huge difference for the Wii and PS3 numbers, PS3 48 to 43, and the Wii with 31 to 24.

schuelma

ethelred said:
Oh god, that is way worse than I was expecting. Wow.

Going by the online retailer preorders, I thought it might do this poorly. I thought right after I made it that my 65K prediction was way too high.

EDarkness

king zell said:
first day numbers are up at sinobi, looks like FFCC has sold 26k!

No one should be surprised. One more side game with no hype (and there hasn't been any hype), no excitement, and at TGS there weren't many people playing it or even seeming interested in it. I give them credit for doing something different, though. After playing it myself, I'm not anywhere as hyped up as I was before I played it.

Sucks for FFCC:CB, but after watching a bunch of media and reading previews and impressions I still can't make heads or tails of what exactly the game is supposed to be. They haven't done a very good job defining the product imo.

Top Bottom