Media Create Sales: Nov 2-8, 2009

Dec 29, 2004
1,674
0
0
Cosmonaut X said:
Just want to chip in to note disappointment at the first day sales for FFCC:CB, and to agree with EDarkness - I think the Wii has got a fucking mountain to climb in terms of perception amongst the more "traditional" gaming crowd. I don't think it's insurmountable, but it will take a great deal of effort from Nintendo to rekindle the interest that was there in the first year - interest that has been squandered by pretty much everyone involved.

Looking at Monster Hunter 3 you see that nice traditional games actually sell and I´m sure Tales of Graces will be the next decent selling game. Crystal Bearers on the other hand is just too quirky and had many things going against it. They just couldn´t deliver a mass appealing product, beginning with odd designs (only the main cast looks decent the others mostly like ugly mutants, especially those freaky Liltys).

making it a part of the Crystal Chronicles series (the latest one sold bad even on NDS and the Wii version was really a joke -> bad reputation). Really bad, dumb advertising what were all those crazy gameplay snippet for? The idea for telekinese is not a bad one but it looks like it´s the only thing you can do after the short bazooka sequence. It just seems chaotic and not like fun.

Most people want swords and stuff, but they completely cutted that off. That´s actually essential not only for a FinalFantasy.

And it surely doesn´t help when SQEX producers are whining beforehand that it won´t sell especially knowing that due to it´s natur Crytal Bearers was looked with alot scepticism from videogamers, the mediocre Famitsu score was actually only the tombstone after their miserable actions. Putting it head to head with Final Fantasy 13 release schedule wise (barely a month) is also an ingenious act. Especially after burning out even the most hardcore FF fans with tons (and sometime even bad) spin-offs.

I´m still interested in this game but they messed up alot of things.
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Oh, given the chance these extra posts give me, what should we do about next week releases predictions? See Christ1964 list and there's nothing really big other than Taiko 2 (and maybe its a slow seller so no big start either). I was thinking either skipping this week or using Taiko 2, Mario & Sonic DS, Dorabase 2 DS and Armored Core PSP. Opinions?
We better skip this week. I see only Taiko doing some respectable numbers. It's not worth predicting for 20-30K opening weeks. But after this week the real fun begins.
 
Jul 10, 2008
7,547
0
0
Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but FFCC's sales are seriously disappointing. I thought 100k+ first week for sure. Isn't this supposed to be the Wii's best holiday line-up? And FFCC was one of the big ones? First Mario and Sonic, now FFCC, is this trend going to continue? And all these games have done nothing for hardware so far. I still think December + NSMBWii will kick Wii sales into overdrive but now I'm not so sure...
 
Jun 5, 2006
9,603
0
0
Scotland
Just to be clear, I'm not blaming the poor performance of FFCC:CB entirely on what I think is the poor perception of the Wii - there are other factors to consider here.

However, I do think that games are being overlooked on the platform by an audience who would usually be receptive to them because they perceive the system to be all about more casual games, or just a dumping ground for ill-thought-out, poorly produced schlock - thanks largely to third parties who produced exactly that, but also to Nintendo for not using their marketing muscle to promote the other side of the coin (their own and third parties more "traditional" titles) as heavily as they have their "expanded audience" titles.

Games like Monster Hunter Tri, with huge marketing campaigns, can do well, as can titles that have fanbases who will buy just about anything with the title on (RE, Tales etc.), but I think there's a big hole where titles that would have done well on something like the PS2 or DS are not doing as well as they could.
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
vicissitudes said:
Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but FFCC's sales are seriously disappointing. I thought 100k+ first week for sure. Isn't this supposed to be the Wii's best holiday line-up? And FFCC was one of the big ones? First Mario and Sonic, now FFCC, is this trend going to continue? And all these games have done nothing for hardware so far. I still think December + NSMBWii will kick Wii sales into overdrive but now I'm not so sure...
You were expecting 100K+ first week basing on what? And this year is the Wii's best holiday line-up. Look what the upcoming games are. Holidays don't begin from Nov 5.
 
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
1
0
37
Cosmonaut X said:
Just to be clear, I'm not blaming the poor performance of FFCC:CB entirely on what I think is the poor perception of the Wii - there are other factors to consider here.

However, I do think that games are being overlooked on the platform by an audience who would usually be receptive to them because they perceive the system to be all about more casual games, or just a dumping ground for ill-thought-out, poorly produced schlock - thanks largely to third parties who produced exactly that, but also to Nintendo for not using their marketing muscle to promote the other side of the coin (their own and third parties more "traditional" titles) as heavily as they have their "expanded audience" titles.

Games like Monster Hunter Tri, with huge marketing campaigns, can do well, as can titles that have fanbases who will buy just about anything with the title on (RE, Tales etc.), but I think there's a big hole where titles that would have done well on something like the PS2 or DS are not doing as well as they could.
So tell me, why did Code Age Commanders sell 36k in the first week? Was it because it was overlooked on PS2 by an audience who would usually be receptive to it, because they perceived the PS2 to be for more casual games or just a dumping ground for ill-thought-out, poorly produced schlock?

Edit: Oh and why did Blood of Bahamut sell only 31k in the first week? Maybe the DS is being overlooked by an audience who would usually be receptive to it too, because they perceive it to be for more casual games or just a dumping ground for ill-thought-out, poorly produced schlock.

The bottom line is that if a game has low appeal to audiences in general, it sells shit. It doesn't matter if it's a Square Enix game, and it certainly doesn't matter if it's a Final Fantasy game. It needs to appeal, or people won't buy it.
 
Jun 5, 2006
9,603
0
0
Scotland
duckroll said:
So tell me, why did Code Age Commanders sell 36k in the first week? Was it because it was overlooked on PS2 by an audience who would usually be receptive to it, because they perceived the PS2 to be for more casual games or just a dumping ground for ill-thought-out, poorly produced schlock?
Nah, probably because it was shit ;-)

I did say I wasn't blaming the poor sales of FFCC:CB entirely on what I think is the poor perception of the system, though, didn't I?
 
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
1
0
37
Cosmonaut X said:
Nah, probably because it was shit ;-)

I did say I wasn't blaming the poor sales of FFCC:CB entirely on what I think is the poor perception of the system, though, didn't I?
So if people shunned Code Age Commanders because it was shit, why is it surprising at all that the next game by the same team does not sell well?
 
Dec 29, 2004
1,674
0
0
Cosmonaut X said:
Just to be clear, I'm not blaming the poor performance of FFCC:CB entirely on what I think is the poor perception of the Wii - there are other factors to consider here.

However, I do think that games are being overlooked on the platform by an audience who would usually be receptive to them because they perceive the system to be all about more casual games, or just a dumping ground for ill-thought-out, poorly produced schlock - thanks largely to third parties who produced exactly that, but also to Nintendo for not using their marketing muscle to promote the other side of the coin (their own and third parties more "traditional" titles) as heavily as they have their "expanded audience" titles.

Games like Monster Hunter Tri, with huge marketing campaigns, can do well, as can titles that have fanbases who will buy just about anything with the title on (RE, Tales etc.), but I think there's a big hole where titles that would have done well on something like the PS2 or DS are not doing as well as they could.

I know what you mean and you aren´t really wrong but you are indeed blowing it up. Looking at the charts you´ll see that especially in Japan the audiences are sticking more and more to big franchises and its sequels, mainline games and not low budget spin-offs. Just look at the list of PS3 games that sold "decent" this year, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Tekken, Tales of, Pro Evo, Musou, Gundam etc. all mainline games of big franchises and big dedicated fanbases. There was also Bayonetta but you know how anticipated and marketed it was, it also got awesome reviews and it´s obvious to everyone that it isn´t low budget like let´s say MadWorld and Co.. The real problem is that publishers are just doing a really bad job at delivering mass appealing software on Wii.
 
Jul 10, 2008
7,547
0
0
Chris1964 said:
You were expecting 100K+ first week basing on what? And this year is the Wii's best holiday line-up. Look what the upcoming games are. Holidays don't begin from Nov 5.
Based on other people's predictions, FFCC on GC, having Final Fantasy in the title, I don't know.

What are the big upcoming games? Taiko will probably be a slow burner and not really sell hardware. Tales of Graces should break 200k, and there's NSMB of course, but that's about it. Can't think of anything else that will do much. Only NSMB can really push some hardware, and only a handful of games will pass 100k. Pretty meh all around.
 
May 13, 2007
10,202
33
925
Japan
skullforge.omc-games.com
duckroll said:
So tell me, why did Code Age Commanders sell 36k in the first week? Was it because it was overlooked on PS2 by an audience who would usually be receptive to it, because they perceived the PS2 to be for more casual games or just a dumping ground for ill-thought-out, poorly produced schlock?
I understand what you're getting at, but having played Crystal Bearers, it's not a bad game. You seem to be implying that the game is bad so it sold bad. I've never played Code Age Commanders so I have no idea what kind of game it is, or even what kind of marketing push it had. The original reveal for this game had some hype. People I know who were big Wii gamers at the time were excited about it. The dead spell, and the new reveal as to what the game was going to be pretty much killed whatever hype they had going for it at the time. There are a lot of factors here, but I agree with Cosmo in that the current state of the Wii here in Japan puts it in a strange situation as people who might have tried it wouldn't even consider picking it up.


So if people shunned Code Age Commanders because it was shit, why is it surprising at all that the next game by the same team does not sell well?
You act like most people keep track of what studio made what. I'd be very surprised if that were the case. This game had Final Fantasy on it. I don't know anything about their first game, but the fact that it was part of the FF group, I was willing to see what it was about. I imagine that's the case for a lot of people. Trouble is, Square can't find a way to explain to people why they should be excited about this game. Maybe that's their biggest problem. <shrug>


I know what you mean and you aren´t really wrong but you are indeed blowing it up. Looking at the charts you´ll see that especially in Japan the audiences are sticking more and more to big franchises and its sequels, mainline games and not low budget spin-offs. Just look at the list of PS3 games that sold "decent" this year, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Tekken, Tales of, Pro Evo, Musou, Gundam etc. all mainline games of big franchises and big dedicated fanbases. There was also Bayonetta but you know how anticipated and marketed it was, it also got awesome reviews and it´s obvious to everyone that it isn´t low budget like let´s say MadWorld and Co.. The real problem is that publishers are just doing a really bad job at delivering mass appealing software on Wii.
Yeah. That is true also. However, the difference is that the PS3 is getting those games. The Wii isn't. People will go where those games are and right now, as far as consoles go, they're on the PS3. Though, the funny thing is yesterday, one of my students told me he picked up Bayonetta and told me to pick it up because the game was awesome. I asked if he picked up the PS3 version and he said no, because the 360 version got a 40 in Famitsu. Heh, heh. And here I was thinking that none of them read that....should have known better.
 
Mar 19, 2009
51,003
0
0
Toronto, Canada
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
· [NDS] Rockman - 25,000 (41%)
On DS, first day comparison: 42k -> 44k -> 34k -> 25k.
The last one on GBA did 148k first day...
The Battle Network games were a beast. Capcom hurt it with yearly sequels of declining quality, as well as over exposing Megaman. Starforce never really stood a chance.
 
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
1
0
37
EDarkness said:
I understand what you're getting at, but having played Crystal Bearers, it's not a bad game. You seem to be implying that the game is bad so it sold bad. I've never played Code Age Commanders so I have no idea what kind of game it is, or even what kind of marketing push it had. The original reveal for this game had some hype. People I know who were big Wii gamers at the time were excited about it. The dead spell, and the new reveal as to what the game was going to be pretty much killed whatever hype they had going for it at the time. There are a lot of factors here, but I agree with Cosmo in that the current state of the Wii here in Japan puts it in a strange situation as people who might have tried it wouldn't even consider picking it up.
No, you misunderstand me completely. I am not implying that the game is bad so it sold bad. I am implying that people don't care for what it is. I don't care if a game is bad or not, this is sales-age, not review-age. There are plenty of games which appeal to me in particular, which I have no problems analyzing has being total bombs even before release, because I know for a fact that to general audiences there will be a disconnect and general disinterest.

Code Age was a pretty massive push by Square at the time as a massive cross-media project. They had a manga, a mobile game, a PS2 game, etc. Code Age Commanders itself was the main dish, pushed as the next game by the FFCC team and the FFCC director, and being a unique and alternative action RPG experience. It completely fell flat on its face because the reality is that people don't give a crap about "alternative" experiences in general.

This is a very common trend in the industry, and I don't see why it's so hard to understand. People like things which are familiar and look to be of high quality. When you try something alternative or different, and it is something hard to explain easily, expect it to bomb. There are rare cases where something new and different is well marketed and connects with audiences such that they pick it up and it becomes the next new thing, but that's very rare and not something that is often equated to RPGs in particular because of the nature of the fanbase.

What I am saying has nothing to do with a game's actual quality, but everything to do with consumer perception. My example with Code Age Commanders is fitting because I am pretty sure Cosmonaut X has most likely never even PLAYED the game before he commented that it was probably because the game is shit. If he can make a comment like that, then that same perception can easily be extended to Crystal Bearers. :)

EDarkness said:
You act like most people keep track of what studio made what. I'd be very surprised if that were the case. This game had Final Fantasy on it. I don't know anything about their first game, but the fact that it was part of the FF group, I was willing to see what it was about. I imagine that's the case for a lot of people. Trouble is, Square can't find a way to explain to people why they should be excited about this game. Maybe that's their biggest problem. <shrug>
That is not what I meant. Maybe I am misunderstood because no one here seems to actually know WHAT Code Age Commanders is. It was a very similar sort of announcement and had similar media attention. The game is action based, but it was marketed as an alternate RPG experience, which simply looked weird and confusing, and it seems to be a style of design the team itself wants to pursue.

That is what I meant, that if the team failed to capture the attention of anyone the first time, why would anyone think they would have more success this time round when it seemed like the same sort of marketing engine?
 
Dec 29, 2004
1,674
0
0
EDarkness said:
I understand what you're getting at, but having played Crystal Bearers, it's not a bad game. You seem to be implying that the game is bad so it sold bad. I've never played Code Age Commanders so I have no idea what kind of game it is, or even what kind of marketing push it had. The original reveal for this game had some hype. People I know who were big Wii gamers at the time were excited about it. The dead spell, and the new reveal as to what the game was going to be pretty much killed whatever hype they had going for it at the time. There are a lot of factors here, but I agree with Cosmo in that the current state of the Wii here in Japan puts it in a strange situation as people who might have tried it wouldn't even consider picking it up.

It´s not only a matter of bad game or good game. It has to appeal and it´s undeniable that Crystal Bearer is a very "special" game that isn´t exactly mass appealing, beginning with art direction and chaotic looking gameplay. Like I said before Crystakl Beareres was watched with a lot scepticism and when a game with the Final Fantasy brand gets mediocre score from Famitsu the scepticism won´t disappear, it actually rises.
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
Wii performance after price cut

Code:
week	 2007	  2008	  2009
 40	 20.704	 25.330	 35.392
 41	 20.575	 22.877	 30.741
 42	 24.932	 26.024	 29.965
 43	 27.502	 24.292	 25.917
 44	 37.617	 23.123	 28.888
 45	 34.546	 24.726	 31.810
 46	 36.230	 26.787	
 47	 54.362	 35.298	
 48	 74.764	 49.848	
 49	115.057	 56.702	
 50	170.558	 91.641	
 51	232.907	131.054	
 52	152.209	134.958
So far it's outperforming both 2007 and 2008. Week 49 will be huge for Wii and the one that should give a clear advantage over PS3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii, PokePark Wii, Samurai Warriors 3 with hardware and controller bundles.
 
May 13, 2007
10,202
33
925
Japan
skullforge.omc-games.com
duckroll said:
No, you misunderstand me completely. I am not implying that the game is bad so it sold bad. I am implying that people don't care for what it is. I don't care if a game is bad or not, this is sales-age, not review-age. There are plenty of games which appeal to me in particular, which I have no problems analyzing has being total bombs even before release, because I know for a fact that to general audiences there will be a disconnect and general disinterest.

Code Age was a pretty massive push by Square at the time as a massive cross-media project. They had a manga, a mobile game, a PS2 game, etc. Code Age Commanders itself was the main dish, pushed as the next game by the FFCC team and the FFCC director, and being a unique and alternative action RPG experience. It completely fell flat on its face because the reality is that people don't give a crap about "alternative" experiences in general.

This is a very common trend in the industry, and I don't see why it's so hard to understand. People like things which are familiar and look to be of high quality. When you try something alternative or different, and it is something hard to explain easily, expect it to bomb. There are rare cases where something new and different is well marketed and connects with audiences such that they pick it up and it becomes the next new thing, but that's very rare and not something that is often equated to RPGs in particular because of the nature of the fanbase.

What I am saying has nothing to do with a game's actual quality, but everything to do with consumer perception. My example with Code Age Commanders is fitting because I am pretty sure Cosmonaut X has most likely never even PLAYED the game before he commented that it was probably because the game is shit. If he can make a comment like that, then that same perception can easily be extended to Crystal Bearers. :)



That is not what I meant. Maybe I am misunderstood because no one here seems to actually know WHAT Code Age Commanders is. It was a very similar sort of announcement and had similar media attention. The game is action based, but it was marketed as an alternate RPG experience, which simply looked weird and confusing, and it seems to be a style of design the team itself wants to pursue.

That is what I meant, that if the team failed to capture the attention of anyone the first time, why would anyone think they would have more success this time round when it seemed like the same sort of marketing engine?
Yeah. I totally agree with that. Like I said, Square Enix can't find a way to explain why we need to get excited about this game. People look at it and go "cool", but that's not enough to really get people to put cash down on something.
 
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
1
0
37
Chris1964 said:
So far it's outperforming both 2007 and 2008. Week 49 will be huge for Wii and the one that should give a clear advantage over PS3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii, PokePark Wii, Samurai Warriors 3 with hardware and controller bundles.
PokePark isn't going to have much impact at all. It's not really a title people will really care that much about unless they're a hardcore Pokemon fan (ie: interested in things beyond the main series) and they also happen to have a Wii. It's more of a complimentary title than one which actually has any sort of push on its own imo.

For Sengoku Musou 3, I can't quite put a number to it just yet. But I have good reason to suspect it will do significantly worse than Sengoku Musou 2.
 
Jun 5, 2006
9,603
0
0
Scotland
duckroll said:
What I am saying has nothing to do with a game's actual quality, but everything to do with consumer perception. My example with Code Age Commanders is fitting because I am pretty sure Cosmonaut X has most likely never even PLAYED the game before he commented that it was probably because the game is shit. If he can make a comment like that, then that same perception can easily be extended to Crystal Bearers. :)
About an hour on a friend's import copy ;-)

EDIT:

Anyway, we're getting off what I hoped was the point I was making, so: duckroll, would you agree that there are a number of games on the system that are performing worse than they would if the system had a better perception amongst, say teen/young adult audiences? Or do you think I'm completely off-base?
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
duckroll said:
PokePark isn't going to have much impact at all. It's not really a title people will really care that much about unless they're a hardcore Pokemon fan (ie: interested in things beyond the main series) and they also happen to have a Wii. It's more of a complimentary title than one which actually has any sort of push on its own imo.

For Sengoku Musou 3, I can't quite put a number to it just yet. But I have good reason to suspect it will do significantly worse than Sengoku Musou 2.
PokePark will have a small impact, but bigger than Crystal Bearers and other high-budget games. As for Sengoku Musou 3 of course it will sell significantly worse than 2 but:
Samurai Warriors 3 with hardware and controller bundles
I look the games from the impact they will have on hardware. Graces also has a hardware bundle.
 
May 13, 2007
10,202
33
925
Japan
skullforge.omc-games.com
duckroll said:
PokePark isn't going to have much impact at all. It's not really a title people will really care that much about unless they're a hardcore Pokemon fan (ie: interested in things beyond the main series) and they also happen to have a Wii. It's more of a complimentary title than one which actually has any sort of push on its own imo.

For Sengoku Musou 3, I can't quite put a number to it just yet. But I have good reason to suspect it will do significantly worse than Sengoku Musou 2.
I think Musou 3 is a bit of a wild card and could go either way. It'll depend on reviews and word of mouth. If it gets good reviews, then I think it can do okay.
 
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
1
0
37
Chris1964 said:
PokePark will have a small impact, but bigger than Crystal Bearers and other high-budget games. As for Sengoku Musou 3 of course it will sell significantly worse than 2 but:

I look the games from the impact they will have on hardware. Graces also has a hardware bundle.
It depends on what "high budget games" you're talking about. Both Sengoku Musou 3 and Tales of Graces will have more impact than PokePark. I honestly don't think PokePark has any sort of real impact at all in terms of selling hardware, really.
 

sphinx

the piano man
Nov 21, 2006
15,739
0
1,350
Germany
duckroll said:
II don't completely accept this either. If a game from Square Enix is called "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Uncharted World" and features art direction from Akihiko Yoshida, game design and direction by Hiroyuki Ito, and is a tradition action RPG with a massive overworld, many great looking dungeons, lots of optional quests, summons, awesome equipment, and an interesting battle system, I am more than confident that it would have no problems selling very well.
well, that exactly is the problem.

whenever there is a FF:CC announcement, SE is downright telling us " Yeap, we are going for another cheap, half-assed, mediocre game on the action RPG genre " In that sense "Crystal Chronicles" is absolutely tainted. People know what CC is all about and they also know that it´s not going to change. Your hypotetic CC game will never happen and people know it.

as for CB, It was all perfectly planned:

.- Low shipments
.- middle-low talent investment
.- middle-low budget
.- some ads but not too much as to make people believe it´s really worth it.

We sometimes think that the companies are trying to go for "the best game ever" with every game they produce but it´s rarely like that, Square-Enix knows damn well what CC was created for and those of us who expected anything from a crystal bearers title saleswise were a bit too optimistic, maybe even deluded.
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
duckroll said:
It depends on what "high budget games" you're talking about. Both Sengoku Musou 3 and Tales of Graces will have more impact than PokePark. I honestly don't think PokePark has any sort of real impact at all in terms of selling hardware, really.
Wrong word: higher budget games. I can put a ton of Wii games that came out this year in there. From the videos I saw it could some kind of appeal to the Pokemon fans. I don't think there are too many of them with a Wii. In three weeks we will know who is right.
 
May 19, 2005
12,889
2
1,145
United Kingdom
The Crystal Chronicles name could have been a curse on Crystal Bearers after Echoes of Time Wii, but the game itself actually reminded me of Dawn of Mana (SD4) with the wacky physics thing going on, but I'm not sure if it actually plays like that (snce I haven't followed the game since then), but I just can't see the appeal of the style of gameplay CB was going for. I honestly believe Wii has a software problem in Japan, but I don't think CB would have done well anywhere else.
 
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
1
0
37
Cosmonaut X said:
Anyway, we're getting off what I hoped was the point I was making, so: duckroll, would you agree that there are a number of games on the system that are performing worse than they would if the system had a better perception amongst, say teen/young adult audiences? Or do you think I'm completely off-base?
I don't think that's an unreasonable claim, but I also don't think that this particular claim has anything to do at all with Crystal Bearers. That was mostly my point. Ultimately I think the perception of a piece of hardware by the consumer market is not really something that is overly important in the grand scheme of things. If there is a game which appeals directly to a large group of people, very few people in that group will actually go "nah, I'll pass" just because of the platform the game is on.

The perception of a piece of hardware is often directly related to the perception of the actual software which is on it. If the Wii suffers from a perception problem that there aren't many core games on it targeted at young adults, it would be because that is mostly true. If there is a huge influx of games which target that group of consumers, and they actually successfully appeal to to that group, then the perception of the hardware will change because of the software.


Chris1964 said:
Wrong word: higher budget games. I can put a ton of Wii games that came out this year in there. From the videos I saw it could some kind of appeal to the Pokemon fans. I don't think there are too many of them with a Wii. In three weeks we will know who is right.
If you mean that it has a better chance to sell hardware than games which are higher budget than Pokepark itself, then sure I totally agree. What I'm saying is that it isn't a significant or substantial amount of appeal. Being a Pokemon brand game, and coming from Nintendo directly, it is already in a better position than many third party games, but when compared with the bulk of Nintendo's own first party efforts, I just don't see that Pokepark is really a big deal. It's just a minor complimentary side project.
 
Dec 7, 2005
14,228
3
0
32
EXGN said:
Everything has already been said about FFCB.

Disappointing sales for Dragon Ball, though. This is the next entry into the Tenkaichi Budokai series, which traditionally sold gangbusters at launch, like 200K+. I think that number is even worse off than Burst Limit last year?
The Budokai Tenkaichi series always used the increasingly high number of characters as marketing power, this game has less characters than the 1st one and it's still basically a Sparking game, in spite of the name change...

I don't know who decided that the market would accept next gen games with significantly less features than previous gen ones, but he was an idiot. It's clearly not working at all.
 
Jan 21, 2008
7,602
0
0
Brazil
sites.google.com
Dengeki numbers for Nov. 2 - 8:

01./00. [PS3]&#12288;World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) 232,761 / NEW
02./05. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 72,259 / 852,929
03./07. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 63,033 / 1,575,339
04./04. [PSP] Persona 3 Portable (Atlus) - 48,697 / 133,636
05./08. [NDS] Pokemon Soul Silver (Pokemon) - 42,594 / 1,484,149
06./01. [PS3] Bayonetta (Sega) - 32,863 / 169,800
07./02. [NDS] Hikari no 4 Senshi: Final Fantasy Gaiden (Square Enix) - 32,726 / 149,755
08./09. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold (Pokemon) - 31,294 / 1,415,116
09./00. [WII]&#12288;Mario & Sonic at the Vancouver Olympics&#12288;(Nintendo) - 23,994 / NEW
10./00. [NDS]&#12288;Summon Night X: Tears Crown (Bandai Namco Games) - 23,444 / NEW

11./03. [PS3] Tekken 6 (Bandai Namco Games) - 23,413 / 130,578
12./12. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Blizzard (Level 5) - 21,844 / 304,224
13./11. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire (Level 5) - 21,533 / 287,062
14./15. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 17,681 / 1,341,097
15./13. [PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Universal Tuning (Square Enix) - 16,776 / 36,651
16./00. [PS3] inFAMOUS (SCE) - 14,856 / NEW
17./06. [360] Bayonetta (Sega) - 13,165 / 74,965
18./00. [NDS]&#12288;Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel&#12288;(Bandai Namco Games) - 12,393 / NEW
19./00. [PS3] 3D Dot Game Heroes (From Software) - 10,456 / NEW
20./21. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Square Enix) - 8,776 / ?


Other software:

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009 (Konami) - (FW: 182,000 / LTD: 446,000)
[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Beijing Olympics (Nintendo) - (FW: 71,000 / LTD: 575,000)

Code:
Hardware |  This Week |  Last Week |    YTD     |    LTD
------------------------------------------------------------
NDS      |     45,473 |     41,741 |  3,050,006 | 28,028,097
PSP      |     50,250 |     58,951 |  1,787,832 | 12,937,150
Wii      |     29,002 |     26,250 |  1,214,638 |  8,797,681
PS3      |     54,985 |     37,028 |  1,171,884 |  3,874,027
X360     |      4,998 |      5,121 |    314,896 |  1,166,079
PS2      |      1,975 |      1,910 |      1,939 |            
------------------------------------------------------------   
Total    |    186,683 |    171,001 |




Random note: WE2010 has the 4th best opening week of a PS3 title.

Numbers by Famitsu:

01. MGS4 - 476,000
02. RGG3 - 357,000
03. RE5 - 322,000
04. WE2010 - 235,000 <------
05. TOV - 228,000
 
Dec 4, 2008
3,705
0
0
Australia
Road said:
Dengeki numbers for Nov. 2 - 8:




Other software:

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009 (Konami) - (FW: 182,000 / LTD: 446,000)

Code:
Hardware |  This Week |  Last Week |    YTD     |    LTD
------------------------------------------------------------
NDS      |     45,473 |     41,741 |  3,050,006 | 28,028,097
PSP      |     50,250 |     58,951 |  1,787,832 | 12,937,150
Wii      |     29,002 |     26,250 |  1,214,638 |  8,797,681
PS3      |     54,985 |     37,028 |  1,171,884 |  3,874,027
X360     |      4,998 |      5,121 |    314,896 |  1,166,079
PS2      |      1,975 |      1,910 |      1,939 |            
------------------------------------------------------------   
Total    |    186,683 |    171,001 |




Random note: WE2010 has the 4th best opening week of a PS3 title.

Numbers by Famitsu:

01. MGS4 - 476,000
02. RGG3 - 357,000
03. RE5 - 322,000
04. WE2010 - 235,000 <------
05. TOV - 228,000
Slim effect indeed. PS3 is kickin ass and taking names.
 

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Nov 3, 2007
18,732
0
0
Road said:
Dengeki numbers for Nov. 2 - 8:

06./01. [PS3] Bayonetta (Sega) - 32,863 / 169,800
17./06. [360] Bayonetta (Sega) - 13,165 / 74,965
I know this will sound funny , but Bayonetta need legs.


Road said:
Random note: WE2010 has the 4th best opening week of a PS3 title.

Numbers by Famitsu:

02. RGG3 - 357,000
I believe RGG4 can do better than that for first week (and overall too ).

as for SEGA HD games , next year SEGA will have EoE first and before RGG4 , and I think EoE can do +200K first week thing will be more interesting for SEGA HD front , I hope they bring Phantasy Star back again to consoles ( new Universe or V ) and AM2's Border Break , and maybe House of the Dead for the PSwand thingy since their HD lineup need to be better than now ( Bayonetta wasn't that big hit but it was decent as new IP , and RGG series maybe end with part 4 ) .
 
Jun 7, 2004
114,759
1
0
37
Totobeni said:
I believe RGG4 can do better than that for first week (and overall too ).
I'm a little skeptical about that. RgG2 is still the high point of the series in terms of sales, and I don't really think it has expanded the fanbase much since then. RgG3 had a significantly bigger opening than RgG2 did in the first week, but yet ultimately did not reach RgG2's LTD. With RgG4 coming out just a year later, I'm not really convinced it can do significantly better in both the first week, and the LTD. It would be a success if they can just get similar sales.

as for SEGA HD games , next year SEGA will have EoE first and before RGG4 , and I think EoE can do +200K first week
I wonder...
 
Jan 21, 2008
7,602
0
0
Brazil
sites.google.com
Totobeni said:
I know this will sound funny , but Bayonetta need legs.
We can see she has more legs than Dante.

At least as much as we can infer from only 2 weeks of sales. Combined PS3 and 360 versions by Famitsu:

DMC4 - 253,000 -> 43,000 (-83%)
Bayonetta - 205,000 -> 41,000 (-80%)

Well, not much better, really.
 
Jun 5, 2004
15,259
0
0
dolemite said:
So what's the next game on the list to save the Wii in Japan?
If you've actually read the M-C threads, everyone was fairly sure that Crystal Bearers would bomb and bomb hard. The only game that can 'save' the Wii that anyone had actually mentioned in such a fashion (and more in the "this is the only software that could possibly move hardware" type thing) is New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

But, you haven't actually read any M-C threads, have you?