• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 2-8, 2009

duckroll

I don't think you guys get it. Nintendo's going to go third party like Sega, and make PS3 games. You have to be blind not to see it coming...

ksamedi

Souldriver said:
One just got a price drop, the other a redesign and a big price-drop. Off course both will do "better than normal" for now. And the holiday season is upon us, so rising sales are a given. But do you expect both the Wii and the PS3 will keep on trucking next to each other like they're doing now? I sure as hell don't. In the long run, one of them is going to take the lead, and steal all the sunshine/developer support/popularity. And right now (and I know this is too soon to tell), I would say PS3 has the best chances of doing so.

Off course the Wii won't crash and burn. It has already sold more than its predecessors . But it might end up dieing prematurely and become the "niche" platform on the market. And given the insane potential this console has/had, that would be a failure of epic proportions imo.

It sure as hell won't get better for Wii, which I pointed out earlier. It's my opinion that third parties can only be dragged kicking and screaming towards Wii support because of an insanely high install base and the failure of other consoles. Cause, if you said already, non of the third parties like to develop for the Wii. Now if the Wii falls in a slump, and the PS3 (HD twins) start to perform normal or good, yeah.... Wii's software lineup will look even more barren.

I disagree with your point of view that the Wii can't do better but I do agree that if the Wii would fail it would be a really big failure on Nintendo's part. The potential to make the Wii as big as the DS was there and it shouldn't have died down like it did.

I still believe that Nintendo can make a big hit software title that can turn the tide. They're good at that sort of thing.

Chris1964 said:
You are saying the same thing again. PS3 will steal developer support from who? Wii? How can it steal something it already has?
Come on, it's not hard to understand. What I think could happen (the numbers are just examples ;)):

Current support:
- Wii: 50%
- PS3: 50%

Future support if things remain this way:
- Wii: 20%
- PS3: 80%

Sure, +1 for one doesn't necessarily mean -1 for the other, but the overal relation between both exists.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Souldriver said:
It's my opinion that third parties can only be dragged kicking and screaming towards Wii support because of an insanely high install base and the failure of other consoles. .

Agree

Souldriver said:
Now if the Wii falls in a slump, and the PS3 (HD twins) start to perform normal or good, yeah.... Wii's software lineup will look even more barren.

I don't know about that. The few franchises that the Wii currently has (Monster Hunter, Tales shared with everyone else, Samurai Warriors, Biohazard Chronicles series) seem likely to stay on the platform if they sell well. Let me put it to you this way- the determining factor in whether the Wii continues to get more Samurai Warriors is how SW3 actually sells, not in who wins the console race next year.

To me an interesting question is what happens to DQX..but the only question there is whether it goes back to the DS.

ivysaur12

Banned
Crystal Bearers is #35 right now for all videogames on Amazon.jp. Ouch :lol

schuelma said:
Agree

I don't know about that. The few franchises that the Wii currently has (Monster Hunter, Tales shared with everyone else, Samurai Warriors, Biohazard Chronicles series) seem likely to stay on the platform if they sell well. Let me put it to you this way- the determining factor in whether the Wii continues to get more Samurai Warriors is how SW3 actually sells, not in who wins the console race next year.

To me an interesting question is what happens to DQX..but the only question there is whether it goes back to the DS.

I'm sure that Nintendo is very keen on making DQX stay on the Wii.

duckroll said:
I don't think you guys get it. Nintendo's going to go third party like Sega, and make PS3 games. You have to be blind not to see it coming...
Yes, cause that's what I'm saying. I just couldn't find the right words.

inner-G

Banned
duckroll said:
That would be so fucking amazing.

schuelma

Souldriver said:
Come on, it's not hard to understand. What I think could happen (the numbers are just examples ;)):

Current support:

Sure, +1 for one doesn't necessarily mean -1 for the other, but the overal relation between both exists.

But those numbers are just wrong anyways. I'd argue its much closer to 20/80 than it is to 50/50. I mean, I can see it going from 30/70 to 25/75, but who cares?

And the third party support you are talking about pales in comparison to the handhelds anyways. We're debating over what exactly?

Edit- a year ago I had a different opinion. DQX, ToG and SW3 had just been announced and PS3's 2009 looked pretty barren. However, 2009 has seen almost nothing of note third party announcement wise.

Souldriver said:
Yes, cause that's what I'm saying. I just couldn't find the right words.

Well I'm struggling to see what you are saying. Are you saying third party support is going to go from bad to really bad? That PS3 support is going to go from mediocre to a bit less mediocre?

Yaweee

duckroll said:

Oh, does that mean they're going to change the genres for all of their series? 10 years of ARPG Fire Emblems!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Souldriver said:

Current support:

Is this some kind of joke? This is the third party support today:

But I guess if the split goes

- Wii: 15%
- PS3: 85%

there will be a big difference.

jeremy1456

duckroll said:

That would be the worst thing that could ever happen to the PS3's third party support.

Developers apparently can't compete with Nintendo on their own platform - if they moved to the PS3 then they wouldn't be able to compete there!

schuelma said:
But those numbers are just wrong anyways. I'd argue its much closer to 20/80 than it is to 50/50. I mean, I can see it going from 30/70 to 25/75, but who cares?

And the third party support you are talking about pales in comparison to the handhelds anyways. We're debating over what exactly?
Chris1964 said:
Is this some kind of joke? This is the third party support today
I specifically said the numbers where fictional and just used as an example.

schuelma said:
Well I'm struggling to see what you are saying. Are you saying third party support is going to go from bad to really bad? That PS3 support is going to go from mediocre to a bit less mediocre?
Basically. And continuing this trail of thoughts, I think if a trend like this continues, the Wii could die prematurely, and the PS3 could become this gen's leader* after all.

*for the remainder of this generation of course. I'm not saying it'll dwarf the Wii's LTD. This generation doesn't have a clear cut beginning and ending anyway, since I believe the PS3slim+wand and 360+natal are some sort of pseudo-next gen to extend the life time of current consoles, and that Nintendo will come with a Wii HD before Sony and MS announce a X720 or PS4.

Souldriver said:

Current support:

Uh, your future is already the present has been that way since 2006.

markatisu

schuelma said:

Thinking about that question just makes the DQIX epic meltdown reveal thread even that much more hilarious in retrospect

schuelma

Souldriver said:

Err..but why use fictional numbers as an example if they aren't correct numbers?

Souldriver said:
I And continuing this strain of thoughts, I think if a trend like this continues, the Wii could die prematurely, and the PS3 could become this gen's leader* after all.

Ok, I thought that was what you were getting at. And this is based on third party support lessening more than it already has? I firmly disagree- maybe in 2007 and even last year heavy third party support could have guaranteed a healthy trajectory for the Wii in Japan. Now, as it was in the beginning, the Wii will fail or succeed on the basis of its first party software.

And there is no way PS3 will come close to Wii's LTD, and you can quote me on that one for years and years.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
duckroll said:
I'm a little skeptical about that. RgG2 is still the high point of the series in terms of sales, and I don't really think it has expanded the fanbase much since then. RgG3 had a significantly bigger opening than RgG2 did in the first week, but yet ultimately did not reach RgG2's LTD. With RgG4 coming out just a year later, I'm not really convinced it can do significantly better in both the first week, and the LTD. It would be a success if they can just get similar sales.

count Rio's fans this time :p

well , they will re-release RGG3 again ( before FFXIII iirc ) so I guess they know these are few of the series fans didn't jump to PS3 before the price cut.

duckroll said:
I wonder...

EoE is not a Mistwalker game , it will do fine.

duckroll said:

to be fair , it's always top of the world or the bottom of Hell in sales age threads , in MC-threads until few months ago it was like Sony will go to sell candy or something.

actually SEGA went 3rd party as a trap so Sony and Nintendo copy it ( as always ) and go 3rd party too , then SEGA can release the DreamDrive with Ristar 2 and Shenmue 3

schuelma said:
Now, as it was in the beginning, the Wii will fail or succeed on the basis of its first party software.
And it's sad that it'll stay that way. I think Nintendo got a free pass the past 2 years. The Wii did incredibly well no matter what. During that time Nintendo should've lobbied/payed more to make sure third parties jumped in. But it didn't happen. It's Nintendo's and third party's fault. Now the PS3 is gaining ground, things won't get better.

schuelma said:
Err..but why use fictional numbers as an example if they aren't correct numbers?
Fine. If you want me to make my opinion more vague to prevent this from becoming a discussion about statistics that don't exist either way and are mainly based on personal opinion anyways, I'll rephrase it like this: the more the PS3 gains, the less third party developers will see the opportunity/need to make games for the Wii, even though their current support is already horrible at this point too. You can disagree with that, off course. It's my opinion.

Edit:
dyls said:
What have I done :lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
jeremy1456 said:
Well it's fair to assume that Japanese developers and publishers are going to be looking at worldwide sales figures too.
I'm not talking about sales, I'm talking about today developer support, and from that point Wii is very high comparing to PS3.

schuelma

Souldriver said:
I'll rephrase it like this: the more the PS3 gains, the less third party developers will see the opportunity/need to make games for the Wii, even though their current support is already horrible at this point too. You can disagree with that, off course. It's my opinion.

Ok, we can get specific. I enjoy these discussions. Tell me a franchise not currently on the PS3 that will move there if the PS3 continues to outsell the Wii.

jeremy1456

schuelma said:
Ok, we can get specific. I enjoy these discussions. Tell me a franchise not currently on the PS3 that will move there if the PS3 continues to outsell the Wii.

He's going to say Monster Hunter, I just know it.

schuelma said:

I mean really. PS3 already has FFXIII and the Wii has Crystal Bearers. That, right there, tells you how the priorities in Japan played out from the beginning.

jay

Souldriver said:

The internet as a whole will never understand examples or analogies. This is a fact.

jay said:
The internet as a whole will never understand examples or analogies. This is a fact.

Example are all well and fine then they actually fit the data. Really, Wii Third Party support couldn't get any worse, other than losing Monster Hunter. But even the GameCube had RE4 (for awhile).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Souldriver said:
And it's sad that it'll stay that way. I think Nintendo got a free pass the past 2 years. The Wii did incredibly well no matter what. During that time Nintendo should've lobbied/payed more to make sure third parties jumped in. But it didn't happen. It's Nintendo's and third party's fault. Now the PS3 is gaining ground, things won't get better.

If you are talking about Japan Wii is on the downhill for more than year, you don't seem to know the situation. And certainly it didn't come to that position because of Sony but because mainly of Nintendo itself.

If you are talking about the rest of the world, PS3 is not gaining ground, where did you see that? It's losing ground with slower rate.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't think in this situation it's as informative to talk about specific franchises vs developers, maybe.

I think there are very likely some smaller Japanese developers who have chosen to or been forced to eschew the PS3 because of the publishing environment on the platform in Japan. If PS3 continues to do well there I think the publishing environment will obviously also improve, and you'll see some devs come on board who otherwise mightn't have, who otherwise might have made a game for another cheaper and/or more popular platform.

For example I remember some developer - might have been Marvelous? - who expressed interest in supporting PS3 but they mentioned that the publishing environment on PS3 in Japan hadn't been very accomodating to date, but they saw signs of that improving so they would consider hopping on board. An improvement in PS3's ongoing sales in Japan could make differences like that, even if that's not considered drastic. Nor does it necessarily have to be at the expense of the Wii either btw.

schuelma

gofreak said:
I don't think in this situation it's as informative to talk about specific franchises vs developers, maybe.

I think there are very likely some smaller Japanese developers who have chosen to or been forced to eschew the PS3 because of the publishing environment on the platform there. If PS3 continues to do well there I think the publishing environment will obviously also improve, and you'll see some devs come on board who otherwise mightn't have, who otherwise might have made a game for another cheaper and/or more popular platform.

For example I remember some developer - might have been Marvelous? - who expressed interest in supporting PS3 but they mentioned that the publishing environment on PS3 in Japan hadn't been very accomodating to date, but they saw signs of that improving so they would consider hopping on board. An improvement in PS3's ongoing sales in Japan could make differences like that, even if that's not considered drastic. Nor does it necessarily have to be at the expense of the Wii either btw

I can agree with that, and I think I said that could be one little shift. Of course, for those type of games the portables are far better choices than the PS3 and I really don't think Marvelous has any better chance at succeeding on the PS3 as it did on the Wii.

duckroll

Dragona Akehi said:
Example are all well and fine then they actually fit the data. Really, Wii Third Party support couldn't get any worse, other than losing Monster Hunter. But even the GameCube had RE4 (for awhile).

Losing DQX!

jay

Dragona Akehi said:

An example of data that fits the data is data and not an example. I don't necessarily agree with him but jumping on something clearly marked as an example with "lol ur wrong" seemed silly. If the problem was that his examples didn't even convey the general situation correctly then mentioning this seems like it would be more valuable than taking his examples as literal.

Since I know the question was eating at you, I will now explain the problem of using analogies on the internet. They are meant to show parallels between ideas or situations yet any human online only understands them as direct comparisons equating things.

schuelma

jay said:
An example of data that fits the data is data and not an example. I don't necessarily agree with him but jumping on something clearly marked as an example with "lol ur wrong" seemed silly.

But typing out a developer support split doesn't look like an analogy or an example....it looks like a projected developer support split.

jay said:
An example of data that fits the data is data and not an example. I don't necessarily agree with him but jumping on something clearly marked as an example with "lol ur wrong" seemed silly.

Since I know the question was eating at you, I will now explain the problem of using analogies on the internet. They are meant to show parallels between ideas or situations yet any human online only understands them as direct comparisons equating things.

You can't tell a terminal cancer patient that someone with their condition is like a lacerated hand instead of a pricked finger.

jeremy1456 said:
So do you have information regarding this, or is it a hypothesis?

This is entirely my conjecture, if it was actually happening, I would be clear about that.

KtSlime

The only series that I see promised to the Wii and not the PS3 currently is Dragon Quest, which I think if Square Enix decides to reneg on that deal they will be moving it back to DS, and *not* to the PS3. The PS3, as I see it already has most all the series it can, with the exception of some of the otaku stuff that is on the 360. There is nothing that can be taken away from the Wii, other than Monster Hunter, Dark Side Chronicles, and some re-releases of RE games.

schuelma

ivedoneyourmom said:
The only series that I see promised to the Wii and not the PS3 currently is Dragon Quest, which I think if Square Enix decides to reneg on that deal they will be moving it back to DS, and *not* to the PS3. The PS3, as I see it already has most all the series it can, with the exception of some of the otaku stuff that is on the 360. There is nothing that can be taken away from the Wii, other than Monster Hunter, Dark Side Chronicles, and some re-releases of RE games.

Answering my own question, the most likely (out of the 3 or 4 franchises it has LOL) is Samurai Warriors, since the genre has no history on the Wii and a lot of examples on the PS3. But, I think that if SW3 does reasonably well it will probably just stay- I think the producers said how they wanted it to be a Wii franchise or something along those lines.

Yes i'm very interested in Wii vs. PS3 YTD, i wonder if it's the first time since (very) long time in which the home leader and #2 system are so near.

And i noticed any new game release is planned for the two last week in December, both for Wii and PS3.
Anyway, i don't think new Mario will be a great system seller the same way FF13 will be, and Samurai Warriors 3 sales could be terribly hurted by new Mario.
But from now until middle December, Wii line-up is more strong (at least Taiko 2 and ToG will sell well) so it will be interesting to see how hw sales will change in the next weeks.
Basically PS3 won the first round, now it's time for Wii to have a chance.

Round 2, fight !

schuelma said:
Oh god, now it gets hard. I don't have lists of sales numbers, franchises and whatnot lying around or have it all memorized, but I'll try anyway. :)

I'm not only/necessarily talking about franchises switching consoles. If PS3's userbase gains quickly and the Wii's stagnates, then...
- SE might reconsider bringing DQX to the Wii. Allthough most here think it would just go to DS instead.
- Capcom might reconsider putting out another Monster Hunter games on the Wii.
- Bandai Namco might reconsider bringing another Tales game to the Wii. Or look into a possible PS3 iteration of One Piece.
- Takara Tomy might not bring a new Naruto game to the Wii and just go for the DS instead.
- Acquire might think of bringing Tenchu to the PS3 instead of the Wii now.
- Konami ever taking the Wii version of PES seriously and releasing the game at the same time as the other console versions will get smaller (they don't right now, do they?)
- FFCC might be the last FF game on the Wii?
- More importantly and closely related to the above: any developer might have a less hard time in considering the platform they'll bring future iterations of their franchises too. Perhaps from now on the PS3 will get all the non-mainline FF games on consoles. If a developer starts making a new game, the chance they'll consider the Wii will only get smaller.

I don't have much time, so I can't construct a good argument here. I also don't have much knowledge about the (Japanese) gaming market. I quickly searched the Famitsu 500 list of 2008 to look for examples of games/franchises I can put in the list. This exercise has shown me one thing: the current Wii third party situation is even more dire than I had in mind. Which is probably also the reason why you asked me to make a list. :)

Edit: applause for jeremy1456

Dark Oni

with the wii everything started out well i think nintendo hoped to mimic the ds's success release new types of games that do well and then third party support would also be there as the platform gains more sales sadly this hasn't happened with the wii despite being the best selling platform (sold out for 2 years?) third parties just didn't support it i think had third parties given it a fair chance it would have been very profitable for them right now pretty much a missed oppourtunity

jay

schuelma said:

Resident Evil spinoffs.

gerg

Souldriver said:

Why? They have invested time and money creating an engine for the series, and the games they have produced for the Wii have sold well. Coupled with greater sales of the Wii in the West, Nintendo's seeming determination to help promote the game in the West, and it being easier to port a title from the Wii to the PSP than to port one from the PS3 to the PSP, and I see no reason why MH's existence on the Wii is at stake.

- Bandai Namco might reconsider bringing another Tales game to the Wii. Or look into a possible PS3 iteration of One Piece.

Because Namco's strategy has been so coherent as to be affected by hardware sales.

- Takara Tomy might not bring a new Naruto game to the Wii and just go for the DS instead.

Ditto.

Ditto ditto.

- Konami ever taking the Wii version of PES seriously and releasing the game at the same time as the other console versions will get smaller (they don't right now, do they?)

This would be a change... how?

It probably is the last big FF on the Wii already.

- More importantly and closely related to the above: any developer might have a less hard time in considering the platform they'll bring future iterations of their franchises too. Perhaps from now on the PS3 will get all the non-mainline FF games on consoles. If a developer starts making a new game, the chance they'll consider the Wii will only get smaller.

That may be true; I just don't see this being caused specifically by the PS3's good sales.

I think we may have a case of over-determination here.

schuelma

Souldriver said:
Oh god, now it gets hard. I don't have lists of sales numbers, franchises and whatnot lying around or have it all memorized, but I'll try anyway. :)

I'm not only/necessarily talking about franchises switching consoles. If PS3's userbase gains quickly and the Wii's stagnates, then...
- SE might reconsider bringing DQX to the Wii. Allthough most here think it would just go to DS instead.

Thanks for that. I'm going to try and address every franchise, but the short version of my conclusion is that its far more important how these titles actually sell on the Wii rather than any PS3 hardware victory.

DQ- Yeah..that's not coming to the PS3, period. If it moves, it will be to the DS.

Monster Hunter- We've had this discussion, and I agree its possible, but given the sales of Tri I think this will stay on Wii.

Tales- If Graces sells poorly (like barely over 200K), then I agree that they could skip the next Wii mainline entry. However, the early indications are that Graces will do very well, so I think that is unlikely.

One Piece- I think its sold ok on Wii, but I guess its conceivable they move it.

Naruto- I think this franchise is already on like every platform anyways

Tenchu- This is probably going to happen. Tenchu 4 sold horribly. However, judging by how Acquire has handled the franchise since, its probably going to PSP.

PES- It already gets shit on by Konami and the PS3 version is already pushed the most.

FFCC- Well, thats certainly not coming to the PS3. I could see SE not giving Wii anything more because of Crystal Bearers, but I think that would be a mistake on SE's part.

jay

Chris1964 said:
On-rail Resident Evils will move to PS3? That's it, I quit for today.

The PS1/PS2 had a handful of first person RE spinoffs. I realize the on rails RE did well enough to justify a sequel, it was kind of a joke.

It's basically irrelevant if the Wii loses its amazing line of spinoffs. The world can do without another Soul Calibur Legends.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Chris1964 said:
On-rail Resident Evils will move to PS3? That's it, I quit for today.
Perhaps it will be Capcom's show of "serious" swaggle support after Alternate Edition. :lol

But yes, they already moved a spinoff to the PSP instead of the PS3, so the odds of that aren't looking that great.

Dragona Akehi said:
It could get quite worse.

Just think of the perspective of these holidays if there were no Taiko no Tatsujin 2, Sengoku Musou 3, Tales of Graces and BioHazard Darkside Chronicles in the span of 2 months.

schuelma

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
It could get quite worse.

Just think of the perspective of these holidays if there were no Taiko no Tatsujin 2, Sengoku Musou 3, Tales of Graces and BioHazard Darkside Chronicles in the span of 2 months.

Yeah this two month period is definitely the best 3rd party situation the Wii has had. How those titles sell is more important to any continued 3rd party support than how PS3 sells IMO.

Top Bottom