• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Nov 23-29, 2009

Spiegel

Famitsu Top Ten

1. [WII] New Super Mario Bros Wii (Nintendo)
2. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega)
3. [PSP] Gundam Vs Gundam NEXT PLUS (Namco Bandai)
4. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei)

5. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Destiny (Level 5)
6. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo)
7. [WII] Pikachu Adventure Pokepark (Pokemon )
8. [PS3] Assassin's Creed 2 (Ubisoft)

9. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
10. [PSP] Tokimeki Memorial 4 (Konami)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
faridmon said:
can this be the healthy resurgence of Wii games? the PS3 effect?

Like basically all systems other than the DS, its a resurgence in that the Wii actually had 4-5 good releases. In a month when the Wii's release list grinds to a halt the "resurgence"will be over.

Repost of the 1st day numbers:

duckroll said:
NSMBW - 420k
PSP2 - 202k
GvsGN+ - 170k
Tokimemo 4 - 28k
LBP - 2200
Sengoku Musou 3 - 81k
AC2 PS3 - 28k
AC2 360 - 21k
Power Pro Pocket 12 - 23k
Kaiju Busters - 10k
Yggdra Unision - 4700

MrDaravon

:D at Phantasy Star Portable 2 up there. I wonder how well the digital sales did as well, seemed like a lot of people picked that up on PSN. I'm assuming Famitsu/MC don't track download sales?

ccbfan

Fantastic NSMB numbers. Hopefully this mean some 2D reviving for the Wii like Metroid/Kirby/Zelda.

SailorDaravon said:
:D at Phantasy Star Portable 2 up there. I wonder how well the digital sales did as well, seemed like a lot of people picked that up on PSN. I'm assuming Famitsu/MC don't track download sales?

Anyone else as amazed as me about this series on the PSP. I mean this was like a mid tier series suddenly exploding into something even big than the tales of series and probably the 4th biggest 3rd party rpg franchise in Japan (Probably Sega's biggest right now).

The catalyst? A freaken port of Phantasy Star Universe.

faridmon

schuelma said:
Like basically all systems other than the DS, its a resurgence in that the Wii actually had 4-5 good releases. In a month when the Wii's release list grinds to a halt the "resurgence"will be over.
if only FFCC CB and S&P 2 would get released after NSMBW :(

SailorDaravon said:
ugh, its GT PSP all over again. how do you know it sold really good on PSN? most sales (well, at least for GT PSP) comes from UMD sales. where do people get this idea from? Am I missing something?

its not like Sega Released the PSN numbers like Atlus did for the Persona PSP, right?

MrDaravon

ccbfan said:
Anyone else as amazed as me about this series on the PSP. I mean this was like a mid tier series suddenly exploding into something even big than the tales of series and probably the 4th biggest 3rd party rpg franchise in Japan (Probably Sega's biggest right now).

The catalyst? A freaken port of Phantasy Star Universe.

They hit with the PSP games at a good time since local co-op PSP games like Monster Hunter are huge. Also I think PSU did alright in Japan, and PSP1 is only loosely a port of PSU since they addressed the bulk of the issues that kinda dragged PSU down, and PSP2 takes it even further and was also worked on by the PS0 team, which I think also did alright.

faridmon said:
ugh, its GT PSP all over again. how do you know it sold really good on PSN? most sales (well, at least for GT PSP) comes from UMD sales. where do people get this idea from? Am I missing something?

its not like Sega Released the PSN numbers like Atlus did for the Persona PSP, right?

Obviously anecdotal, but pretty much every single person I've seen talking about the game online (both importers and people living in Japan) seems to have gotten the PSN version. Obviously if you're posting about a game online, downloading a digital version of it is a likely option for you though. I wasn't attempting to specifically cast aspiration about it's PSN sales, I was just curious how well it did. IIRC PSP1 did something like 220k it's first week, and this one seemed to be better received and have more buzz, so I'm just curious if digital sales pushed it decently past PSP1 week sales or not.

test_account

XP-39C²
Stopsign said:
It definitely applies to niche games more. Look at what the shooter genre is doing on the 360. It has been chosen as "the" shooter console and every shooter fan knows it. This means that every single shooter game is going to sell to that built-in install base.
Ye, that is true. But if someone releases a shooter on the PS3, will this game has less chance to sell on the PS3 compared to if it was on the Xbox 360, since the PS3 isnt really known for having that many shooter games (at least from what i know).

Stopsign said:
In the case of SW3, which I think you guys were talking about. The game is switching platforms to system not known for its Musuo games, while the other systems are still getting most of the Musuo games like the one coming out in March. It's the inconsistency that makes fan bases get split up.
Yep, it was talk of SW3, but i also wondered how it was with other game series in general as well :) But to take SW3 as an example, would SW3 had have a bigger chance to sell more if more Musou games had been released on the Wii before SW3? I guess that it is very hard to know this for sure though, but i just thought that it was an interesting question :)

Tenbatsu

NomarTyme said:
Useless w/o numbers!
NSMBWii: 937k
PSP2: 285k
GVsGNext: 238k
Sengoku 3: 126k
Pokepark: 57k
Assassin Creed 2: 56k (PS3) 28k (360)
Powerpro12: 34k
Ultraman Monster DS Game: 16k

test_account

XP-39C²
Has Sinobi Blog updated with some sales info now? It seems to me that there are some numbers there, like the Wii has sold over 100k consoles and that Phantasy Star Portable 2 has sold 285k copies and that Gundam Vs Gundam NEXT PLUS has sold 238k copies just to mention some examples. Please dont take this as fact what i just wrote though, i just used Google translate on Sinobi Blog, so i dont know for sure what Sinobi Blog says. Can someone here can say for sure if Sinobi Blog has posted some sales numbers now? :)

schuelma

test_account said:
Has Sinobi Blog updated with some sales info now? It seems to me that there are some numbers there, like the Wii has sold over 100k consoles and that Phantasy Star Portable 2 has sold 285k copies and that Gundam Vs Gundam NEXT PLUS has sold 238k copies just to mention some examples. Please dont take this as fact what i just wrote though, i just used Google translate on Sinobi Blog, so i dont know for sure what Sinobi Blog says. Can someone here can say for sure if Sinobi Blog has posted some sales numbers now? :)

YAY!! test account is our hero!

schuelma

Wow, Wii got a bigger bump than I thought.

Unless the PS3 got a huge bump this week, I think the YTD race is probably over.

duckroll

test_account said:

Yes.

PSP2 - 285k
GvGN+ - 238k
Tokimemo 4 - 47k
LBP - 4100
SM3 - 126k
Pokepark - 57k
AC2 PS3 - 56k
AC2 360 - 28k
Pocket 12 - 34k
Kaiju Busters - 16k

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
YAY!! test account is our hero!
Hehe, i hope that Sinobi Blog has posted some sales numbers now at least and that i havnt missread something :)

EDIT:

duckroll said:
Yes.

PSP2 - 285k
GvGN+ - 238k
Tokimemo 4 - 47k
LBP - 4100
SM3 - 126k
Pokepark - 57k
AC2 PS3 - 56k
AC2 360 - 28k
Pocket 12 - 34k
Kaiju Busters - 16k
Cool, thanks for the confirmation and thanks for all the sales numbers! :)

ccbfan

Tenbatsu said:
NSMBWii: 937k
PSP2: 285k
GVsGNext: 238k
Sengoku 3: 126k
Pokepark: 57k
Assassin Creed 2: 56k (PS3) 28k (360)
Powerpro12: 34k
Ultraman Monster DS Game: 16k

Pretty bad weekend numbers for the PSP big hitters.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
Same here, i wasnt that sure that the Wii bump would be this big this week :)

schuelma said:
Unless the PS3 got a huge bump this week, I think the LTD race is probably over.
Ye, i think that it shall be pretty interesting to see how much the PS3 has sold this week. If the gap between the PS3 and the Wii is something around 40k or so this week, then i dont think that the PS3 has a big chance to outsell the Wii YTD (do you mean YTD or LTD by the way?).

I guess that Final Fantasy XIII might have a chance to be a very big system seller for the PS3, but i am not quite sure if it will be a big enough system seller to compensate for the lead that the Wii might get over the PS3 before FFXIII is being released.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
schuelma said:

Unless the PS3 got a huge bump this week, I think the LTD race is probably over.
I seem to be blind. What were the hardware numbers?

test_account

XP-39C²
Hero of Legend said:
Are those basically Media Create numbers?
No, these are Famitsu numbers i think. The Media Create numbers might be similar to the Famitsu numbers though, but we dont know that yet. But the Media Create numbers are probably out soon, so i think it shall be interesting to compare the Famitsu and the Media Create numbers to see if there is any big difference between the 2 sales trackers :)

EDIT: I added some text.

EDIT 2: I see now that duckroll had already answered on this :)

Nirolak said:
I seem to be blind. What were the hardware numbers?
Sinobi Blog reported over 100k for the Wii hardware sales i think. And if i am not mistaken, Sinobi Blog also wrote that the Wii was the biggest hardware seller this week, so i guess that it outsold the DS? :)

test_account said:
No, these are Famitsu numbers i think. But the Media Create numbers are probably out soon, so i think it shall be interesting to compare the Famitsu and the Media Create numbers to see if there is any big difference between the 2 sales trackers :)

That's what I thought, thanks!

I am curious, why is Media Create seemingly favored over Famitsu? Is Media Create closer to the correct amount? Is that proven?

Jonnyram

Hero of Legend said:
I am curious, why is Media Create seemingly favored over Famitsu? Is Media Create closer to the correct amount? Is that proven?
Leaks aside, we get official Media Create numbers almost a week before we get official Famitsu numbers.

test_account

XP-39C²
Hero of Legend said:
That's what I thought, thanks!

No problem :)

Jonnyram already answered the question about the Media Create numbers :)

faridmon

SailorDaravon said:
They hit with the PSP games at a good time since local co-op PSP games like Monster Hunter are huge. Also I think PSU did alright in Japan, and PSP1 is only loosely a port of PSU since they addressed the bulk of the issues that kinda dragged PSU down, and PSP2 takes it even further and was also worked on by the PS0 team, which I think also did alright.

Obviously anecdotal, but pretty much every single person I've seen talking about the game online (both importers and people living in Japan) seems to have gotten the PSN version. Obviously if you're posting about a game online, downloading a digital version of it is a likely option for you though. I wasn't attempting to specifically cast aspiration about it's PSN sales, I was just curious how well it did. IIRC PSP1 did something like 220k it's first week, and this one seemed to be better received and have more buzz, so I'm just curious if digital sales pushed it decently past PSP1 week sales or not.
i see, well cheers for the report and apologies if i offended you. It just that many people use the PSN as the getaway of saying 'this game sold bla and bla' and really without any strong numbers, it really becomes annoying.

and i wish i could get into psp. tried to like that game but never finished the very 2 toturial missions :(

velvet_nitemare said:
You think that would make a huge difference?
yes, in a nutshell.

schuelma

test_account said:
Same here, i wasnt that sure that the Wii bump would be this big this week :)

Ye, i think that it shall be pretty interesting to see how much the PS3 has sold this week. If the gap between the PS3 and the Wii is something around 40k or so this week, then i dont think that the PS3 has a big chance to outsell the Wii YTD (do you mean YTD or LTD by the way?).

I guess that Final Fantasy XIII might have a chance to be a very big system seller for the PS3, but i am not quite sure if it will be a big enough system seller to compensate for the lead that the Wii might get over the PS3 before FFXIII is being released.

Yeah I meant YTD. I think the key here is that Wii sales should only go up from here as the holiday's pick up. I think December might look more like 2007 for the Wii than 2008.

donny2112

Famitsu Nov 23-29

01./00. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Devil's Flute (Level 5) - 301,290 / NEW
02./01. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 68,244 / 1,709,209 (+15%)
03./02. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 47,868 / 942,128 (+14%)
04./00. [WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 2010: Sengo Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson) - 43,548 / NEW
05./03. [NDS] Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 36,963 / 3,021,701 (-8%)
06./06. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire/Blizzard (Level 5) - 24,742 / 659,104 (-9%)
07./07. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo) - 20,500 / 46,163 (-20%)
08./09. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 17,531 / 321,722 (-18%)
09./04. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - 16,295 / 45,644 (-44%)
10./14. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 15,199 / 1,355,478 (+41%)

11./00. [360] Mushihimesama Futari Ver. 1.5 (Cave) - 15,033 / NEW
12./08. [PSP] J-League Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou! 6: Pride of J (SEGA) - 13,180 / 126,155 (-42%)
13./00. [PSP] La Pucelle: Ragnarok (Nippon Ichi Software) - 10,849 / NEW
14./15. [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo) - 9,463 / 58,234 (-6%)
15./12. [PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (Namco Bandai Games) - 9,387 / 90,067 (-45%)
16./00. [WII] Naruto Shippuuden: Ryujinki (Takara Tomy) - 8,914 / NEW
17./00. [PSP] Higurashi Daybreak Portable MEGA Edition (Alchemist) - 8,675 / NEW
18./10. [NDS] Dorabase 2: Nettou Ultra Stadium (Namco Bandai Games) - 8,654 / 27,553 (-54%)
19./18. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 8,414 / 4,038,990 (-1%)
20./00. [NDS] Strike Witches: Battle in the Blue Sky - The New Commander Fights! (Russel) - 7,795 / NEW
21./22. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 7,145 / 1,086,015 (+7%)
22./17. [NDS] Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Warriors of Light (Square Enix) - 7,023 / 178,510 (-19%)
23./21. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai Games) - 6,889 / 34,419 (-4%)
24./11. [PSP] Armored Core: Silent Line Portable (From Software) - 6,257 / 24,208 (-65%)
25./28. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 5,709 / 5,575,115 (+34%)
26./27. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 5,688 / 2,369,735 (+27%)
27./13. [PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (SCEI) - 5,386 / 20,377 (-64%)
28./05. [360] Left 4 Dead 2 (Electronic Arts Victor) - 5,311 / 32,965 (-81%)
29./19. [NDS] Mega Man Battle Network: Operation Shooting Star (Capcom) - 5,253 / 44,110 (-33%)
30./00. [WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii DX (Hudson) - 4,803 / NEW

*. [PS3] Bayonetta (SEGA) - 4,691 / 187,379
*. [WII] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers (Square Enix) - 4,356 / 48,061
*. [PSP] Persona 3 Portable (Atlus Co.) - 4,160 / 174,228
*. [NDS] Cooking Mama 3 (Taito) - 3,900 / NEW
*. [PSP] Puyo Puyo 7 (SEGA) - 3,900 / NEW
*. [PS3] Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai Games) - 3,877 / 158,965
*. [PSP] L no Kisetsu Double Pocket (5pb) - 3,200 / NEW
*. [WII] Puyo Puyo 7 (SEGA) - 3,200 / NEW
*. [PSP] Gakuen Heaven: Boy's Love Scramble! (NEC Interchannel) - 3,100 / NEW
*. [PS3] Fallout 3 (BEST) (Bethesda Softworks) - 3,000 / NEW
*. [PSP] Itsuka Kono Te ga Kegareru Toki ni (A Time to Dirty One's Hands): Spectral Force Legacy (Idea Factory) - 2,300 / NEW
*. [NDS] Tea Dog's Room DS 4: Ochaken Land de Hotto Shiyo? (MTO) - 1,800 / NEW
*. [PS2] Nobunaga no Yabou: Tenka Sousei with Power Up Kit (BEST) (Koei) - 1,500 / NEW
*. [PSP] Kenka Banchou 3: Conquer the Entire Nation (BEST) (Spike) - 1,300 / NEW

Bar Chart Nov 23-29 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2009-11-23

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Misc. LTD Updates
[360] Bayonetta (SEGA) - 85,649
[NDS] Summon Night X: Tears Crown (Namco Bandai Games) - 37,396
[PS2] BeatMania IIDX 16: Empress + Premium Best (Konami) - 27,707
[PS2] Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (BEST Reprint) (Capcom) - 11,695
[PS2] Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryoku Series Vol. 14 CR Shinseiki Evangelion: Saigo no Shimono (D3 Publisher) - 66,026
[PS2] J-League Winning Eleven 2009 Club Championship (Konami) - 82,375
[PS2] Momotarou Dentetsu 16 (BEST) (Hudson) - 53,300
[PS2] Nade Pro: Kisama mo Seiyuu Yattemiro! (Kisama - Dare You Even Voice!) (GungHo) - 4,761
[PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 117,180
[PS2] Sekirei: Mirai Kara no Okurimono (Present From the Future) (Alchemist) - 7,991
[PS2] Sengoku Hime: Senran ni Mau Otometachi (War Princess) (Yeti) - 6,354
[PS2] Super Robot Taisen Z Special Disc (Namco Bandai Games) - 91,101
[PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Universal Tuning (Square Enix) - 47,170

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Oct 26-Nov 1, 2009
Nov 2-8, 2009
Nov 9-15, 2009
Nov 16-22, 2009

gkryhewy

Stumpokapow said:
The evidence provided was that Amazon had sold out, and two other retailers whose online services aren't half as robust had also sold out

The circumstantial evidence builds:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75077
http://www.buy.com/prod/new-super-mario-bros-wii/q/loc/108/212442122.html

Looks like WalMart and Best Buy are pretty much the only major retailers that still have stock online here. I wonder if they might have stock issues due to the stupid/awesome red case.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Michan said:
1260405722-mario_101209.png

Remember this? The original PSD is 3 and a half years old! Thought I'd do this again since we've got a new Mario release that'll likely climb for months to come. I've upgraded the chart to next-gen standards and will try to update it every time Mario climbs to a new position. Enjoy!

The lack of Super Mario Sunshine in that chart is sad.

kswiston

Good for the Wii for breaking 100k this week. I wonder how much over 100k the actual number is, and whether the M-C number will also be 6 digits. I think I predicted around 530k for the Wii in December. Might end up being a little low. If next week's drop isn't too large (say 80k+) then 600k could be in the cards. That would be a nice little re-bound from the state of Wii hardware sales in the first half of the year.

PS3's only real chance at winning December is for FFXIII to provide an epic two week bump, and for the effect of NSMB Wii on Wii hardware sales to be very short lived. Probably not going to happen. It would still be a great accomplishment if the PS3 can manage to stay within 100k of the Wii for the year though.

schuelma

kswiston said:
If next week's drop isn't too large (say 80k+) then 600k could be in the cards. .

In all likelihood the number will go up next week. Look at 2007 and 2008 for a comparison.

That's why I think the YTD race is pretty much over, unless PS3 did something like 75K-80K.

Michan

Regulus Tera said:
The lack of Super Mario Sunshine in that chart is sad.
Indeed, its sales were so pitiful that it didn't even make the top 15. I figured I'd cut it off there since it's a round number that encompasses the NSMBW sales.

swerve

Dragona Akehi said:
I like how SMB Mario is looking back at the others going "yeah bitches, just motherfucking try."

That's not what he's saying. He's saying 'I respectfully acknowledge that, had Nintendo produced the hardware bundles featuring NSMB in Japan (as they did in the west) I would already have been toppled, maybe twice over'.

KtSlime

Michan said:
Indeed, its sales were so pitiful that it didn't even make the top 15. I figured I'd cut it off there since it's a round number that encompasses the NSMBW sales.

Is there a reason Super Mario: Yoshi's Island isn't included? Other than that, like the chart.

Michan

swerve said:
That's not what he's saying. He's saying 'I respectfully acknowledge that, had Nintendo produced the hardware bundles featuring NSMB in Japan (as they did in the west) I would already have been toppled, maybe twice over'.
He's probably cowering in his boots having witnessed NSMB Mario smash through the thirteen other Marios on the chart.
ivedoneyourmom said:
Is there a reason Super Mario: Yoshi's Island isn't included? Other than that, like the chart.
I couldn't find any numbers for it, despite searching high and low. If anybody has a reliable source and can provide LTD data for it, I'll gladly revise the chart to include it. The same goes for any other mainline games I might have missed which sold above 0.88 million.

schuelma

Sohter.Nura said:
Is 126k somewhat good for Sengoku 3? :eek:

Not particularly. The PS3 Musou games have started in the 165K-175K range.

Could have been worse though, if that is any consolation.

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:
What would be a "success" for SM3 LTD would you say?

I think 250K or so would show Koei the series is viable on the platform. Now, before Spiegel comes here, I don't think that number would be successful in comparison to other Musou games on other platforms, but I think that would be enough to build on for subsequent games.

I'd also add that going off sinobi's comment about the CC Pro pack, Nintendo is completely effing things up by not having that standard in every Wii right now. There is a reason the CC bundles keep selling out guys.

Top Bottom