• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 21-27, 2009

cvxfreak

I think waiting for next week's sales will paint a clearer picture of the Wii price drop's effect. Not surprised about lackluster opening sales, though, for reasons I've stated before.

Cosmonaut X said:
Just a quick clarification - the Reuters report says 32k sold to Sunday. Am I right in thinking that isn't a full MC/Famitsu/Dengeki week?

Sunday is ALWAYS the last day of the sales week.

not surprised about this data (if confirmed, of course)
not disappointed about this data

i mean, wii fit plus obviously didn't help wii sales, from first days numbers we got, the cheaper version outsold the balance board bundle, this means most of WF+ sales came from people who already bought a wii and already bought wii fit and the balance board.

wii price drop will (might) have effects in the long term, not just in the first weeks.

it will be a problem if even this week PS3 sales >> Wii sales ? It could be.
The biggest problem for Wii is its line-up and how it is considered by the customers.

I hope tomorrow we'll get some new release dates from the conference held by Nintendo, i think it will be revealed new Mario wii release day and maybe Taiko no Tatsujin sequel.

Actually the perception about Wii line-up is not so strong, from what i see (and jgaffers can confirm or deny).
Just to give an example, on Amazon.jp top100 there are 17 PS3 games and 8 Wii games (i checked 3 hours ago, fyi).

gkryhewy

Wii sales spot on my expectations based on the software numbers. I still think both Wii and slim will settle out at about 25k/wk for October -- which is pretty good for both, all things considered.

Wii will be fine in the long run - lots of great software through the end of 2010. The price cut has done its job - stopped the bleeding.

btw that's 5 days of post-price drop sales.

cvxfreak said:
Sunday is ALWAYS the last day of the sales week.

Ah, thanks. For some reason I thought they tracked through to the Monday/Tuesday...

Anyway, 32k is lower than I had expected (I thought around 50k was most likely) but I think the already-low price of the system was always going to mean any price drop would have a less dramatic effect. As laughable as the fanboy claims of massive pent-up demand for the PS3 are, there is a kernel of truth there - the system was priced too high and there are customers who were waiting for the price to come down to something more affordable.

With the Wii, the price was already in the "affordable" range and has simply come down to "more affordable" so the immediate effect is likely to be less dramatic. What I do think - and what I'd imagine Nintendo are looking for - is that the price drop will cause a longer-term increase in weekly sales and that will be more valuable to them than a massive spike and relatively rapid decline.

However, any long-term effect will have to be sustained by software and Nintendo need to show their hand now so that customers have some idea of what to expect going into 2010. I think Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort and NSMB Wii should power the system through the next few months, and the selection of higher-quality third party titles coming soon should help, but I think it would help a lot to have a blow-out of next year's internal and third-party releases.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Moor-Angol said:
I hope tomorrow we'll get some new release dates from the conference held by Nintendo, i think it will be revealed new Mario wii release day and maybe Taiko no Tatsujin sequel.
Namco let us know there would be a sequel a while ago but kept the details quite (probably not to hurt sales of the first), but it's funny that you just mentioned it:
http://gmstar.com/wii/taiko2.html - 11/19

And I think it's a given that NSMB will be dated at the briefing tomorrow.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
jj984jj said:
And I think it's a given that NSMB will be dated at the briefing tomorrow.
I think we already know the release date (since Nintendo obviously goes for a worldwide release): November 19.
I'm more interested to know what else they will date for Wii and DS (besides Zelda) this year.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Lower than I expected and I didn't even expect much.

Edit- what numbers are these from? Not Famitsu or MC?

schuelma

gofreak said:
Well, yeah. They seem to be at a point pricing wise where they're going to have to drive sales from content more or less exclusively going forward. Which is slightly more complicated than flicking a pen and cutting prices (for Nintendo it would have been that simple - I'm sure they've had decent hardware margins they could cut into easily enough).

I think another 5,000 yen drop or bundling Wii Sports or WSR was needed. Wii is still most expensive in its weakest region given that there is no software included.

jj984jj

Chris1964 said:
I think we already know the release date (since Nintendo obviously goes for a worldwide release): November 19.
I'm more interested to know what else they will date for Wii and DS (besides Zelda) this year.
Yeah it'll be interesting to see if they have anything left in store for this year for the DS besides Zelda. If they date anything else for Wii it'll probably be from that bulk of titles they haven't officially delayed, like Kensax.

gkryhewy

Chris1964 said:

NSMBWii is dated 11/15 in the US.

schuelma

So this is definitely Wii's strongest holiday lineup so far, especially 3rd party wise. Should be interesting to see what 3rd party software bombs and which does well. SW3 and Crystal Bearers are the wildcards IMO..the others seem like relatively safe bets.

About the Wii's poor lineup, just how much other than Nintendo's own offerings does the Wii have in Japan in 2010?

I can think of... Red Steel 2, NMH2, Lost in Shadow, those two new Joysound games... maybe Taiko Wii 2... and uh... I'm drawing a blank after that...

I think Nintendo needs that conference more than ever, I mean we had a lot of known 2009 software back at this time in 2008 before the conference.

jj984jj

Hero of Legend said something pessimistic about the Wii? :eek:

So what happens when your "conference" doesn't happen? :lol

Hero of Legend said:
About the Wii's poor lineup, just how much other than Nintendo's own offerings does the Wii have in Japan in 2010?

I can think of... Red Steel 2, NMH2, Lost in Shadow, those two new Joysound games... maybe Taiko Wii 2... and uh... I'm drawing a blank after that...

I think Nintendo needs that conference more than ever, I mean we had a lot of known 2009 software back at this time in 2008 before the conference.

The only one I can think of is Tales of Graces, but I'm not sure whether it has crept back into 2009.

Part of the reason why I'm so hesitant on the long-term effects of the price cut in Japan is because I just don't see anything lined up for 2010 apart from one big hitter - SMG2 - and a couple of smaller/untried titles (Other M, Wii ??? for the Vitality Sensor) from Nintendo and nothing much from third parties.

Sadist

Tales of Graces is set for a December release if I'm not wrong.

But after that... uhhh... oh, Sengoku Basara 3.

There are all those weird titles that no one knows much about like Kensax, Cosmic Walker, Span Smasher, Line Attack Heroes, and Dynamic Slash. Not sure if any of them really have sales potential, but they're there. Then there are some mythical titles like Kirby Wii and Pikmin 3, which would do quite well if released. As for 3rd party, I think Level 5 has an Inazuma Eleven Wii title on the way along with a rumored Ninokuni game, but counting those would be stretching it. So yeah, not much coming in the way of sales for 2010 unless Nintendo is hiding something from us, or hopefully a lot of somethings.

Stopsign said:
Kensax, Cosmic Walker, Span Smasher, Line Attack Heroes, and Dynamic Slash.

Minor titles, all of which should be the filler in a full, robust catalogue.

Then there are some mythical titles like Kirby Wii and Pikmin 3, which would do quite well if released.

Pikmin, perhaps, but I'm not sure about the potential for Kirby on a home console. Both would be solid additions to the 2010 lineup though.

As for 3rd party, I think Level 5 has an Inazuma Eleven Wii title on the way along with a rumored Ninokuni game, but counting those would be stretching it.

Neither really confirmed, although both would be good to have. Not sure how IE would fare on a home system, but if anyone can make it work for the platform Level 5 can.

So if PS3 is what it is now I wonder what's going to happen when FF XIII drops. It isn't as big a deal for the US but for Japan its still a killer ap exclusive.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Guess its Time for a Wii HD so that can SE can port their HD Games on it.

jj984jj

TheRagnCajun said:
So if PS3 is what it is now I wonder what's going to happen when FF XIII drops. It isn't as big a deal for the US but for Japan its still a killer ap exclusive.
FF is not a big deal in the US anymore? Given the state of the console market in Japan S-E is probably praying that FFXIII (combined) does better than FFXII did here.

gkryhewy

Interfectum said:

It was a kind of a silly comment, but is somewhat sensible given that nothing on the Wii (aside from MH3) is particularly frontloaded. Certainly more sensible than your clever lolface reply.

Road

Hmm... Change at the top:

Famitsu: 09/28 - 10/04

01. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
02. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire/Blizzard (Level 5)
03. [NDS] Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Nintendo)
04. [PSP] Gran Turismo (Sony)
05. [PSP] Macross Ultimate Frontier (Bandai Namco)
06. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo)
07. [PS3] Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (Tecmo)
08. [PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou Multi Raid Special (Koei)
09. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
10. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Hoshizora no Mamoribito (Square Enix)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1228236_1796.html?ref=rss

test_account

XP-39C²
Famitsu.com has posted their Top 10 now :)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1228236_1796.html

This list as Wii Fit Plus as #1 and Inazuma Eleven 2 at #2. The Famitsu leak earlier this week had Inazuma Eleven 2 at #1 and Wii Fit Plus at #2. But all the other places are identical between Famitsu.com and the early Famitsu leak, so those leaked numbers might be pretty accurate after all :)

EDIT: I see now that Road has already mentioned this :)

Road

test_account said:
Famitsu.com has posted their Top 10 now :)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1228236_1796.html

This list as Wii Fit Plus as #1 and Inazuma Eleven 2 at #2. The Famitsu leak earlier this week had Inazuma Eleven 2 at #1 and Wii Fit Plus at #2. But all the other places are identical between Famitsu.com and the early Famitsu leak, so those leaked numbers might be pretty accurate after all :)
I don't doubt they were real numbers, but probably just not final. Just a few weeks ago Edge reported PS3 selling 57k Monday, but in the end Famitsu had it as 54k.

Or all versions of Wii Fit Plus weren't included in them.

Jaruru

Road said:
Hmm... Change at the top:

01. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
02. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire/Blizzard (Level 5)
04. [PSP] Gran Turismo (Sony)
05. [PSP] Macross Ultimate Frontier (Bandai Namco)
07. [PS3] Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (Tecmo)
08. [PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou Multi Raid Special (Koei)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1228236_1796.html?ref=rss

good job Wii Fit Plus
so it is the first week for GT PSP? oh well...

Road said:
I don't doubt they were real numbers, but probably just not final. Just a few weeks ago Edge reported PS3 selling 57k Monday, but in the end Famitsu had it as 54k.

I doubt they have all their retailer numbers by Monday, so maybe those are their initial rough estimates.

test_account

XP-39C²
Road said:
Ye, this might be the reason indeed, that the numbers werent final as you say. All the other places beisdes 1st and 2nd place matches the list on Famitsu.com, so i also think that the numbers are real :)

Road said:
Ye, that is also a possibily, i agree. The Inazuma Elevel 2 and Wii Fit Plus numbers were also relatively close to eachother. Well, it was about 20k appart, and 20k is definitly an good amount, but since both games sold about 300k, i think that 20k in difference isnt exactly very huge, especially if the numbers werent final. So i can see that the numbers could have changed a bit in a few days which might have lead to that Wii Fit Plus ended up at 1st place instead of 2nd place like the leaked numbers showed :)

Opiate

I'm really surprised by the responses to the Wii sales-- if they prove true. I agree with Schuelma.

Those sales after a price drop are terrible, and I was one who specifically explained why I felt the Wii price drop would have a smaller effect than the PS3/360 ones. Even by my standards, that is awful.

test_account

XP-39C²
Stopsign said:
I doubt they have all their retailer numbers by Monday, so maybe those are their initial rough estimates.
Ye, i wouldnt really be surprised if it takes a bit longer than 1 day (seeing that the leaked numbers came on a Monday and the sales week ended the day before on Sunday) to get the final numbers, so i can see that the leaked numbers werent the final numbers indeed, i agree :)

cvxfreak

First numbers pouring in:

Wii Fit Plus: 319,000
Inazuma 11 Fire/Blizzard: 297,000
Gran Turismo 144,000
Macross Ultimate Frontier: 85,000
Minna no Sukkiri: 16,000
NINJA GAIDEN Σ2: 39,000
Shin Sangoku Musou MULTI RAID Special: 30,000
Trinity Universe: 13,000

DSi: 57,000
PSP: 55,000

gkryhewy

Opiate said:
I'm really surprised by the responses to the Wii sales-- if they prove true. I agree with Schuelma.

Those sales after a price drop are terrible, and I was one who specifically explained why I felt the Wii price drop would have a smaller effect than the PS3/360 ones. Even by my standards, that is awful.

If you think those numbers after a price drop are awful, just wait till 360's September NPD numbers.

Road

Updated with Sinobi info:

01. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 319,000 / NEW
02. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire/Blizzard (Level 5) - 297,000 / NEW
03. [NDS] Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (Nintendo) -270,000 / 2,338,000
04. [PSP] Gran Turismo (Sony) - 144,000 / NEW
05. [PSP] Macross Ultimate Frontier (Bandai Namco) - 85,000 / NEW
07. [PS3] Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (Tecmo) - 39,000 / NEW
08. [PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou Multi Raid Special (Koei) - 30,000 / NEW

[NDS] Love Plus (Konami) - 17,000 / 98,000
[PSP] Minna no Sukkiri (SCE) - 16,000 / NEW
[PS3] Trinity Universe (Idea Factory) - 13,000/ NEW

DSi - 57,000
PSP - 55,000
PS3 - 37,000
Wii - 32,000
360 - 2,600

DMeisterJ

Banned
cvxfreak said:
First numbers pouring in:

Wii Fit Plus: 319,000
Inazuma 11 Fire/Blizzard: 297,000
Gran Turismo 144,000
Macross Ultimate Frontier: 85,000
Minna no Sukkiri: 16,000
NINJA GAIDEN Σ2: 39,000
Shin Sangoku Musou MULTI RAID Special: 30,000
Trinity Universe: 13,000

DSi: 57,000
PSP: 55,000

Hmm...

GT does better than the leak let on.
And the Wii numbers are true. Tragic.

test_account

XP-39C²
Cool, thanks for the numbers, cvxfreak and Road! :) Some of the leaked Famitsu numbers are rather close, so i guess that they were legit indeed, nice :)

Gran Turismo PSP sold pretty well compared to the first day numbers that we got (which were 54.9k (including the PSP bundle, which sold 4.9k)).

schuelma

Road said:
DSi - 57,000
PSP - 55,000
Wii - 32,000

I was looking at 45-50K for Wii. Pretty poor numbers and like I said earlier Nintendo needed to be much more aggressive in its home country. No excuse for having the most expensive SKU value wise in your weakest region. I bet PS3 numbers are pretty close (at least according to Media Create).

FrankT

gkrykewy said:
If you think those numbers after a price drop are awful, just wait till 360's September NPD numbers.

It's not going to give it a huge bump for the month because it's nothing more than what it was when they did the switch a roo in July 08 (the overall price point scheme remained the same, just more value added line), but it will do more than fine for the month. Heck, if it did just 25% versus the weekly average of August it would do ballpark numbers to last year's Sept NPD when there was real price cut. Of course, that is optimistic, but the overall number for the month will be more than fine.

Road said:

02. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2: Kyoui no Shinryakusha - Fire/Blizzard (Level 5) - 297,000 / NEW

DSi - 57,000
PSP - 55,000
Wii - 32,000

Not bad on Wii Fit Plus. Not so much for the Wii however.

wrowa

I'm actually surprised that people are surprised about the sales of the Wii. The price of the console was never the problem, so cutting the price isn't a solution either. Solving a problem that was never a problem to begin with, what kind of solution would that be?

test_account

XP-39C²
Wii Fit Plus also sold pretty much compared to the 1st day numbers. The increase from 1st day numbers to the 1st week numbers for Wii Fit Plus is about 200k, nice! :)

Paracelsus

Road said:

DSi - 57,000
PSP - 55,000
Wii - 32,000

Proof graphics don't mean shit, not even on HD consoles. XEdge in its first week sold double TU copies, and it will probably double its LTD too. <_<

schuelma

wrowa said:
I'm actually surprised that people are surprised about the sales of the Wii. The price of the console was never the problem, so cutting the price isn't a solution either. Solving a problem that was never a problem to begin with, what kind of solution would that be?

It wasn't a problem maybe, but it was still at an unchanged price almost 3 years after launch. My expectations weren't insane, and I think its reasonable to expect a bigger bump from its first price cut and Wii Fit +.

Top Bottom