• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 21-27, 2009

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jett said:
Ninja Gaiden Bomba 2

It's about similar to Sigma's opening performance I think.

Maybe shows NG's appeal doesn't really grow with market size. Maybe there's a NG audience and it was already there, not much improvement to be had from a broader general userbase.

Paracelsus

gofreak said:
It's about similar to Sigma's opening performance I think.

Maybe shows NG's appeal doesn't really grow with market size. Maybe there's a NG audience and it was already there, not much improvement to be had from a broader general userbase.

So basically, all this purple crap was for nothing.

FrankT

VegaShinra said:
I say 50k for PS3. Sales should still be high.

With 39k MC numbers from the week before I kind of doubt it. Wii price cut likely to have a muted impact, but still 30-35 perhaps.

FrankT

cvxfreak said:
PS3: 37,000

There we go. That would put MC around 29K with a similar drop week over week. Of course MC showed a bigger drop week over week last week as well.

Edit: Ok

swerve

schuelma said:
It wasn't a problem maybe, but it was still at an unchanged price almost 3 years after launch. My expectations weren't insane, and I think its reasonable to expect a bigger bump from its first price cut and Wii Fit +.

Marketing of the price cut consists of a single banner on Wii.com/jp, which links not to an advert, but to a two paragraph press release.

Stores, obviously, ran their own internal promotions but there has been not a single TV ad, magazine ad, or even mention on nintendo's main page at nintendo.co.jp

So whilst I was also expecting higher (closer to 50,000 or so) I am by no means surprised at the result. Either they are too concerned about pissing off previous customers to ram the new price down their throats, or they are leaving the little fella out in the cold and hoping his winter software warms him up.

cvxfreak

PS3 beating Wii again shouldn't be TOO much of a surprise. Wii sales should have been near zero until October 1, while PS3's sales were spread throughout the week. From October 1 onward, the Wii may very well be selling more.

Oldschool

schuelma said:
It wasn't a problem maybe, but it was still at an unchanged price almost 3 years after launch. My expectations weren't insane, and I think its reasonable to expect a bigger bump from its first price cut and Wii Fit +.

PSP price never dropped since launch and it was selling surprisingly well in the last years.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hmm a 13K drop from last weeks Famitsu's numbers. If there is a similar drop in MC it would go down to 27K or so.

cvxfreak said:
PS3 beating Wii again shouldn't be TOO much of a surprise. Wii sales should have been near zero until October 1, while PS3's sales were spread throughout the week. From October 1 onward, the Wii may very well be selling more.

Now now, lets not try to underplay the fact that the PS3 still outsold a price cut Wii.

cvxfreak

Oldschool said:
PSP price never dropped since launch and it was selling surprisingly well in the last years.

The problem with this is that the PSP launched at two price points in 2004, and from what I remember, the ¥25,000 or so Value Pack was far more plentiful than the ¥19,800 Basic Pack. Like the 360 retard pack, the lower price point was largely symbolic, given the presence of the ¥15,000 DS.

pseudocaesar said:
Now now, lets not try to underplay the fact that the PS3 still outsold a price cut Wii.

Nope. The PS3 did extremely well and continues to do so, in spite of most of Sales-Age's skepticism.

Wow. Seems like Wii's in trouble in Japan. I wonder how this is going to play out. If Wii can sell constant 25-30k weekly for another 6 or so months, it should be alright.. but I have a feeling there will be a significant drop after this week.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jtyettis said:
There we go. That would put MC around 29K with a similar drop week over week. Of course MC showed a bigger drop week over week last week as well.
schuelma said:
Hmm a 13K drop from last weeks Famitsu's numbers. If there is a similar drop in MC it would go down to 27K or so.
Seeing the rather larger difference in the PS3 hardware sales last week between MC and Famitsu, i wonder if we wont see that big of a drop with the PS3 in this week's MC numbers.

ilbambino

cvxfreak said:

Doubt it. People holding up until the price drop, most likely are already accounted on these sales. But i guess we'll see next week.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jtyettis said:

I could tell you were licking your chops at the thought ;)

Wonder if MC will also show PS3 beating Wii this week, or if they'll disagree on ranking as they sometimes do. I think 5 weeks after its price drop, if PS3 can beat Wii in its first week of price drop, that highlights how impactful PS3's really was no matter how unimpressive some have tried to paint it. I'll wonder what said folks will say about the Wii drop if these Fami numbers follow through in the next weeks.

FrankT

cvxfreak said:

Well with a similar uptick for the Wii and fall for the PS3 MC could have the Wii on top for this week actually. Not that it will be by much though. Again it depends on the gap in the drop for the PS3 like last week.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Wow.

So Nintendo's entire year-end game plan rests on NSMB's shoulders?

Pretty much.

cvxfreak

ilbambino said:
Doubt it. People holding up until the price drop, most likely are already accounted on these sales. But i guess we'll see next week.

I'm just basing this observation on what I've actually seen the last few days in Tokyo. The market in general seems to have been uplifted over the last few days thanks to the new games and price cuts.

That said, the prospects of longer increased sales not being reached is a very real thing. Better luck next time, Nintendo.

mintylurb

jett said:
Ninja Gaiden Bomba 2
It's not like NG1 and NG2 sold well in nippong wai wai land. If Hayashi included more boobane, boobchael, boobiji levels and bonus materials, etc., maybe this game could've sold an extra 10-20K~

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
mentalfloss said:
Wow. Seems like Wii's in trouble in Japan. I wonder how this is going to play out. If Wii can sell constant 25-30k weekly for another 6 or so months, it should be alright.. but I have a feeling there will be a significant drop after this week.
Again, let's wait for NSMB. And Christmas. And the Vitality Sensor software, before we predict wii is in trouble in Japan. I think PS3 is going to be very successful from now on, but I see wii's momentum rising again in the next six months for the above reasons.

VegaShinra said:
37k is solid. If it was the 18k that would have been a quick drop in sales.

No kidding. I think the 2k drop from the week before shows a little bit of promise for the sustainability of the PS3's sell rate. If it can stay above 30k through to November when the holiday bump takes full effect, I'll be impressed.

schuelma

ilbambino said:

Well, Nintendo did announce the price drop like 3 days before it was effective so I do think there might be some truth to that.

FrankT

TheRagnCajun said:
No kidding. I think the 2k drop from the week before shows a little bit of promise for the sustainability of the PS3's sell rate. If it can stay above 30k through to November when the holiday bump takes full effect, I'll be impressed.

13k drop from Famitsu last week. They had it at 50k. MC had it at 39k.

schuelma

TheRagnCajun said:

Famitsu has tracked the PS3 higher since the cut. We'll see what MC says tomorrow..it might be under 30K this week according to them.

gcubed

marc^o^ said:
Again, let's wait for NSMB. And Christmas. And the Vitality Sensor software, before we predict wii is in trouble in Japan. I think PS3 is going to be very successful from now on, but I see wii's momentum rising again in the next six months for the above reasons.

wow, so the "wait for..." meme makes it out of the PS3 sales defenders hands

schuelma

gcubed said:

Nintendo is clearly relying on NSMB Wii to make a huge impact. Whether it will remains to be seen.

schuelma said:
Famitsu has tracked the PS3 higher since the cut. We'll see what MC says tomorrow..it might be under 30K this week according to them.

Ahh I got my numbers mixed up. Doesn't look like PS3 has plateau'd at all yet.

gcubed

schuelma said:
Nintendo is clearly relying on NSMB Wii to make a huge impact. Whether it will remains to be seen.

i agree, i just found the choice of words humorous, not so much the implication of the words, at least in regards to NSMB

gogogow

TheRagnCajun said:
Ahh I got my numbers mixed up. Doesn't look like PS3 has plateau'd at all yet.
There also doesn't seem to be any new games next week to sustain the sales, except for a re-release of WKC EX version.

schuelma

DMeisterJ said:
Surprised? Last year was only Animal Crossing Wii.

Wii actually has a much much better lineup overall this year, but yeah in the end if anything spurs hardware it will be NSMB Wii.

I'd add that I would be shocked if Wii doesn't have a great holiday- they did a few 100K weeks last December with just Animal Crossing. The test will be in January and February.

gkryhewy

schuelma said:

Or they're content to tread water for awhile and are planning another shoe to drop.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
gcubed said:
Same meme, without the risk of being wrong. I can't see NSMB fail to be a massive system seller during Christmas, or a Nintendo software based on a Vitality Sensor peripheral not being huge in Japan.

Top Bottom