• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 7-13, 2009

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I was always of the opinion that the first one mentioned in the official marketing was always considered by customers (subconsciously) as the "paramount version" and thus the better version.

It always worked until Soul Silver.

Actually, Sapphire sold more than Ruby despite being "second".

I guess sapphires are more valuable than rubies in the market or something?

Gravijah

Regulus Tera said:
Actually, Sapphire sold more than Ruby despite being "second".

I guess sapphires are more valuable than rubies in the market or something?

What did Emerald sell in comparison?

AniHawk

My Pokemon games: Red, Silver, Ruby, Pearl.

Silver's the only odd one out, but I usually tend towards whatever closest represents the fire pokemon, because they're factually the best.

Gravijah

AniHawk said:

Silver's the only odd one out, but I usually tend towards whatever closest represents the fire pokemon, because they're factually the best.

In my opinion, your facts are wrong.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
AniHawk said:

Kinda surprised you went for the Water/Dragon Pokémon instead of the Steel/Dragon Pokémon, if that's the case.

AniHawk

Regulus Tera said:
Kinda surprised you went for the Water/Dragon Pokémon instead of the Steel/Dragon Pokémon, if that's the case.

Eh, it was the redder of the two box arts.

Gravijah said:
In my opinion, your facts are wrong.

My Charizard will murder your entire collection.

I really think, the home console market in Japan has crashed. I can't see any third party making serious money out if it, especially with the HD twins.

Nintendo might've stood a chance, but they need to keep up momentum. I really think they should've bundled in Wiisports. Or they should do it now. Actually screw Wiisports, go straight to WSR. Bundle that into the price, along with 2 remotes with Motion+. The only way they can get the party started is to entice people with free multiple controllers and a party game. I bet if they put all that in, they would still be pulling in a profit. What is the price in Japan for a Wii anyway.

I've never bought nor played a Pokemon game. Are they actually good games? I'd love to give it a try, if I could only figure out a way of never sleeping.

AniHawk

the thoroughbred said:
I've never bought nor played a Pokemon game. Are they actually good games? I'd love to give it a try, if I could only figure out a way of never sleeping.

They may not be great, but they are addicting as hell. The battle system hasn't changed much since 1995, and that really sucks. The main game has had different features added, but nothing revolutionary from entry to entry. HeartGold/SoulSilver will probably be the best one on the market for a newcomer since they should have everything the originals had plus the newest features. I haven't read up on the game at all though, so I'm not sure about that.

AniHawk

Gravijah said:
Back... back to the beginning...

Blastoise used Surf. Blastoise missed!

Charizard used Fly. Critical hit! Blastoise fainted...

Fixed for how it would work in real life.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
KTallguy said:
Man, people really never get tired of Pokemon I guess. How many times can you buy the same game?

Kids 10 years ago are not the same ppl as the kids that are buyin it nowdays...

Cygnus X-1

DSi still selling very well. PS3 falling quite fast, but it depends of how high it will stabilise. PSP and Wii are in trouble. PSP because it has not the same amout of games that come out regularly. Wii because Monster Hunter 3 hadn't the effect Nintendo hoped.

I don't think that lower the price would fix the problem. Things would probably be better for a short time, but then the Wii will return back to the problem. And in the process, Nintendo would gain 50$ less for console. Instead, I would keep making new colors and new packs. A New Super Mario Bros. Wii pack would be a nice possibility.

mbnmac

Neo Member
KTallguy said:
Man, people really never get tired of bald space marines I guess. How many times can you buy the same game?

But seriously, that kind of comment can be applied to many genres that people love but never really change much

Solsc

the thoroughbred said:
I really think, the home console market in Japan has crashed. I can't see any third party making serious money out if it, especially with the HD twins.

Nintendo might've stood a chance, but they need to keep up momentum. I really think they should've bundled in Wiisports. Or they should do it now. Actually screw Wiisports, go straight to WSR. Bundle that into the price, along with 2 remotes with Motion+. The only way they can get the party started is to entice people with free multiple controllers and a party game. I bet if they put all that in, they would still be pulling in a profit. What is the price in Japan for a Wii anyway.

I believe the price is about 24,500 yen (about $250) by the Midori by my apartment... I could be wrong though never really looked to close.

mbnmac said:
But seriously, that kind of comment can be applied to many genres that people love but never really change much

Well, you'll have to admit that Pokemon is probably the "saga" that evolves less. Half of the iterations are remakes of previous versions, with no changes in the gameplay and very few changes in the maps.

Edit: It's not a complain, Pokemon games are more related to collect than other games, so even minimum changes offer a very different experience. But it's simply not fair to compare it with games that, even if they look similar, are done by scratch in level design.

KTallguy

Banned
Nothing wrong with it, I'm just surprised at the staying power of the brand. The gameplay has basically stagnated... but people enjoy it so I have no intention of telling people what they can and cannot enjoy. :)

Osuwari

the strategy evolves with each new generation of pokemon games. i guess that's what makes people return.
also, there's always new kids exposed to the series.

the hardcore audience keeps returning and the casual audience keeps being renewed. that's a recipe for a sucessful long-term series.

mbnmac

Neo Member
Yeah fair enough, I often wish some of the things could be made better, some of the stuff is soo dragged out when it's not needed and some of the best/most fun pokemon to catch and use, especially to beat the elite 4 require so much grinding with the exp share it does get tedious

Brofist

KTallguy said:
Nothing wrong with it, I'm just surprised at the staying power of the brand. The gameplay has basically stagnated... but people enjoy it so I have no intention of telling people what they can and cannot enjoy. :)
The fanbase keeps changing. The typical fans grow out of it and new fans take their place.

Cygnus X-1

KTallguy said:
Man, people really never get tired of Pokemon I guess. How many times can you buy the same game?

We could say the same thing for many dudes that keep buying shooters that are look the same, but with some more light effects and weapons every time the # sequel comes out.

As long it is not boring and it can keep the player play, it means it's a very good game. Pokémon is all of that.

Opiate said:
Bad hardware sales for everything but the DS, in my opinion. PSP ready to go under 20k per week, Wii sales right back where they were pre-MH, and PS3, while respectable, is a massive drop off from last week which doesn't bode well for sustained sales. If it's below 40k next week, which I now consider likely, yikes. Within 2 weeks of the price drop/slim, the system would be selling ~20-25% of it what was.

Concerning PS3, we have to remember that the weekly sales dropped off during July and August due to rumors of the PS3 slim introduction and some shortages. With average weekly sales around 10-11k before, we can affirm without risk that around 30k can be deduced of the 150k of PS3 slim sales, as they should have been sold during July and August. So the drop off from last week seems less massive for me...

freddy

Banned
oldie-newbie said:
Concerning PS3, we have to remember that the weekly sales dropped off during July and August due to rumors of the PS3 slim introduction and some shortages. With average weekly sales around 10-11k before, we can affirm without risk that around 30k can be deduced of the 150k of PS3 slim sales, as they should have been sold during July and August. So the drop off from last week seems less massive for me...
There were shortages? Anyway the only real benefit of price cuts is increased sales of software so whether the slim is a success or not will be shown in the software charts. I really miss those graphs by the rock guy that show software from consoles and handhelds side by side.

ethelred

cvxfreak said:
Yay for Soul Silver. :D

I still think MH3 will sell 1 Million, but DQIX won't make it to 5M. The big differences each week between MC and Famitsu for MH3 is very amusing, though.

Unless it gets an unexpectedly large NY bump, I would expect something around 4.3 million.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I wonder who would win, Defenders of the Starry Sky or the 7 Warriors of the Sky?

Sounds like a good match up to me!

7Th

kpop100 said:
The fanbase keeps changing. The typical fans grow out of it and new fans take their place.

You nailed it. This is what Pokemon's success is all about: accessibility and timeless-yet-not-permanent appeal.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
DSL 9600
DSi 66000
Is there a big price difference between the DS Lite and the DSi? I am a bit surprised that the DS Lite still sells pretty good even with the DSi being released quite a while ago.

Jaruru said:
HOLY POKEMON !!!

edit: congrats Tomodachi Collection for 1M :D
Congratulations to Tomodachi Collection for reaching 1M copies sold indeed! :) That is a really nice sales preformance i must say.

Shizzlee said:
Goddam at pokemon.

5z38rs.jpg
Hehe, nice one :)

topramen said:
How many million sellers does the DS have now (in JP)?
I think that the DS has 28 million sellers in Japan now.

Road

test_account said:
Is there a big price difference between the DS Lite and the DSi? I am a bit surprised that the DS Lite still sells pretty good even with the DSi is out.
I think the suggested price for the DSL is 16,800 yen, while for the DSi is 18,900 yen.

MotherFan

SS and HG really look nice. I ave not played pokemon since Blue, so its gonna be fun! Great sales as well, so cannot wait for the American release.

As for PS3 sales, this is the second week, drop off was expected. Happens for everything.

Johann

Regulus Tera said:
Time-Controlling (4th dimension) Pokémon > Space-Controlling (3rd dimension) Pokémon

A time dog is better than a space dragon?

AniHawk said:
My Charizard will murder your entire collection.

But Charizard gets WTFPWN'D by rock moves!

This has ruined my childhood! Charizard was supposed to melt the boulders...

...but the boulders have melted Charizard!

Top Bottom