• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Sep 7-13, 2009

jett said:
Do people that buy pokemon games always buy both editions? The split is almost always 50%.
Before Diamond/Pearl, people with no friends with the game probably did. After Diamond/Pearl, I think it's split. Then again, you have to account for people who don't have a wireless connection or people again who don't have friends with the counterpart game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
topramen said:
How many million sellers does the DS have now (in JP)?

Individual (23):
New Super Mario Bros
Animal Crossing: WW
Brain Age 2
Brain Age
DQ9
Mario Kart
English Training
Mario Party
Rhythm Heaven Gold
Common Knowledge Training
Big Brain Academy
DQM: Joker
Tetris
DQ4
DQ5
WarioWare Touched
SM64 DS
Kirby Super Star
Kirby Squeak Squad
Tamagotchi Collection
Love and Berry
Final Fantasy 3
Yoshi's Island DS

+ The following combos--you decide how to count them:
Pokemon DP / Plat--all three individually million sellers
Pokemon HeartGold / SoulSilver-- only combined
Nintendogs --only combined
Any two of the three versions of Pokemon MD2 combined, none individually.
Pokemon MD1 GBA + DS combined

+ The following almost--you decide if this year's top 500 will reveal the million crossing:
Friend Collection will hit one million next week. Flash Focus, Cooking Navi and Layton 1 at 950k. Zelda, Layton 2 at 900k. Style Savvy at 850k.

Brofist

markatisu said:
I see more adults playing then kids

You don't live here by any chance do you?

2u8cigl.jpg

7Th said:
I'm pretty sure that isn't the case in Japan.

Here in Europe (or, at least, in Spain), Pokemon is a game that is played mostly by small childs (i'm talking about 6yo to 14yo). Of course, there are also some mature target (and even some mature core target) that play it, probably with a more "tactical" approach. But is a minority.

Khrno

cw_sasuke said:
Kids 10 years ago are not the same ppl as the kids that are buyin it nowdays...

Why are you saying that only kids are buying Pokemon, better yet, that only kids have bought it over more than 10 years?

test_account

XP-39C²
Road said:
I think the suggested price for the DSL is 16,800 yen, while for the DSi is 18,900 yen.
Ah ok, not a too big difference in price then, in my opinion at least, but i can see that someone doesnt really need the camera that comes with the DSi and/or the bigger screen, so they buy a DS Lite instead to save some money. Thanks for the info! :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What was PS2 at price wise when it was at its peak? Just curious to see if the (presumed) 5,000 yen price drop for Wii puts it at a better price point or if it was already there.

Leezard

Meier said:
Pretty perfect. Was Charizard like an insta-win when people played the card game? Or was it solely selected for the rhyming effect?
Charizard was one of the, if not the strongest monsters in the original card game. A whopping 120 attack was more than msot pokemon dreamt of.

markatisu

kpop100 said:
You don't live here by any chance do you?

No I live in the United States of America, where a large majority of people 21-40 play Pokemon and go to Toys R Us and Gamestop to get the downloable Pokemons when they are offered

Johann

schuelma said:
What was PS2 at price wise when it was at its peak? Just curious to see if the (presumed) 5,000 yen price drop for Wii puts it at a better price point or if it was already there.

2000-2002 were the best years for the PS2 hardware sales in Japan. In 2001, it had a price drop during June 29(35,000 yen to ???) and once again on November 29 (??? to 29800 yen). It also had a price drop in May 14 of 2002 (most likely to 25,000 yen). It then had a cut (25000 to 19,800 yen) during November 4, 2003.

Some more knowledgeable probably has the exact information.

Leezard said:
Charizard was one of the, if not the strongest monsters in the original card game. A whopping 120 attack was more than msot pokemon dreamt of.

No, no. That was a hefty 2 fire energies for 100 damage.

Now, Blaine 's Arcanine was one bad mofo with 120 damage Fire Blast.

doicare

I'm sure i've been missed by some like a boomerang with herpes on it but for those who are interested my prediction for tales of vesperia's first week sales is 260,000.

schuelma

doicare said:
I'm sure i've been missed by some like a boomerang with herpes on it but for those who are interested my prediction for tales of vesperia's first week sales is 260,000.

Think you might be a bit high on that one.

New Super Mario Bros. DS is still selling ... it will get a huge bump when New Super Mario Bros. Wii is released. Will it shoot past the Original Super Mario Bros. ? only time will tell.

Monster Hunter Tri will reach 1 million eventually.

future_pinoy said:
New Super Mario Bros. DS is still selling ... it will get a huge bump when New Super Mario Bros. Wii is released. Will it shoot past the Original Super Mario Bros. ? only time will tell.

I don't expect much of a bump really.

Liabe Brave said:
Historically, hardware spikes can hit minor plateaus on the way down, where two weeks in a row are very similar. Not saying that PS3 will definitely do 50k next week (I believe otherwise), but it's not unprecedented.

I guess it is possible especially when there is a fairly large title launching as well. I expect the PS3 to drop to a little less than 20K. Will be interesting to see if and when wii starts consistently outselling especially with FFXIII dropping this year.

Edit:
doicare said:

Before i knew about the slim i would have called this crazy but maybe around the slim launch Vesperia could get an extra boost.

schuelma

DSi 66,498
PS3 55,344
PSP 18,375
Wii 17,568
DS Lite 11,179
Xbox 360 7,568
PS2 2,612

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:
Nintendo has wasted such opportunity with the Wii.

I think having your biggest releases for over 6 months being a GC and PS2 port was absolutely genius.

schuelma said:
I think having your biggest releases for over 6 months being a GC and PS2 port was absolutely genius.

It really is sad, how Nintendo just let everything just slip them by without caring in the least.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I think they do care, but it's their unpredictable dev cycles that are messing up their best laid plans.

No, they don't care. Had they cared, they'd have dropped the price of the Wii in Japan over a year ago. They'd have been making deals with 3rd parties three years ago. I could go on, but suffice to say it's very evident they don't care to do anything other than sit on their fat sacks of cash.

schuelma

I think Nintendo cares- afterall, they have shareholder expectations to try and satisfy. I do think they are very arrogant and stubborn and relied on the "we just need one huge hit a year" strategy to their detriment.

schuelma said:
I think Nintendo cares- afterall, they have shareholder expectations to try and satisfy. I do think they are very arrogant and stubborn and relied on the "we just need one huge hit a year" strategy to their detriment.

They don't really care THAT much about share holders either. They always get a huge profit, and Nintendo has been in the habit of buying up their own stock because they think it's undervalued.

Nintendo is making billions, but failing to realise that with a few small changes (and a tiny hit of their profits) they could in the long run be making even more.

Dragona Akehi said:
They don't really care THAT much about share holders either. They always get a huge profit, and Nintendo has been in the habit of buying up their own stock because they think it's undervalued.

Nintendo is making billions, but failing to realise that with a few small changes (and a tiny hit of their profits) they could in the long run be making even more.
I kind of think Nintendo execs are still a little shellshocked by the Wii.

gkryhewy

Dragona Akehi said:

I still think Iwata is one of the best CEOs of any tech company in the world... I'm interested to see the next shoe drop.

gkrykewy said:
I still think Iwata is one of the best CEOs of any tech company in the world... I'm interested to see the next shoe drop.

Iwata is a large improvement over Yamauchi in many ways, such as 3rd party rapport. But he has not gone far enough. He should have been making back room deals with 3rd parties when it became obvious that the Wii was going to be a smash hit (say six months after launch) to help encourage good 3rd party efforts. That way the Wii wouldn't be pulling near PS3 numbers like it is now.

Dalthien

schuelma said:
DSi 66,498
PS3 55,344
PSP 18,375
Wii 17,568
DS Lite 11,179
Xbox 360 7,568
PS2 2,612
Someone feel free to double-check my numbers because I just quickly eye-balled the charts,

but this seems to be the 3rd-lowest week ever for the PSP.

15,564 - Sept 3-9, 2007
16,690 - Nov 13-19, 2006
18,375 - Sept 7-13, 2009

I'm curious to see if it will break the record before the Go is released.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
gkrykewy said:
Hopefully some killer 3rd party games follow. Dragona is right, squandered.

Nintendo really needs to do something about the Wii in Japan :p it's settling under the 20k line already.

But then again, this IS Nintendo, so they'll just let it die out :p

LiquidMetal14 said:
Hopefully some killer 3rd party games follow. Dragona is right, squandered.

At this point I'm not sure if Nintendo can reverse the situation with the Wii. They're probably happy with its performance worldwide anyway.

Completely squandered.

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:
He should have been making back room deals with 3rd parties when it became obvious that the Wii was going to be a smash hit (say six months after launch) to help encourage good 3rd party efforts. That way the Wii wouldn't be pulling near PS3 numbers like it is now.

I think he should have been doing that even sooner. If we go by your timeline, that is what, almost the middle of 2007? So if we assume games don't just come out right away and take 2 years to make, then right about now we should bet getting some high quality 3rd party stuff..and honestly, at least compared to early in the Wii's life, I think we have those starting with MH Tri. But it might be too late- Nintendo needed those titles last year.

schuelma

Tenbatsu said:
Their conference is next month? Right?

I don't think we know anything about their Fall Conference. I'm kind of expecting something next week given the price drop rumors for the 27th.

schuelma said:
I think he should have been doing that even sooner. If we go by your timeline, that is what, almost the middle of 2007? So if we assume games don't just come out right away and take 2 years to make, then right about now we should bet getting some high quality 3rd party stuff..and honestly, at least compared to early in the Wii's life, I think we have those starting with MH Tri. But it might be too late- Nintendo needed those titles last year.

Well of course, he should have been doing that sooner: like before the system was even released. But I can imagine that even with large hats of money, not many 3rd parties would be willing to risk it, seeing it like another GameCube.

That's the only reason why I put the whole "six months after launch" thing, because then 3rd parties would see that Nintendo console hardware could sell and might be easier to persuade (with the aid of large tophats made of money).

TunaLover

Dragona Akehi said:
Iwata is a large improvement over Yamauchi in many ways, such as 3rd party rapport. But he has not gone far enough. He should have been making back room deals with 3rd parties when it became obvious that the Wii was going to be a smash hit (say six months after launch) to help encourage good 3rd party efforts. That way the Wii wouldn't be pulling near PS3 numbers like it is now.

It puzzle me the way that Nintendo was acting before, we had good 3rd party deals, like Fatal Frame 4, Dragon Quest X, and possible MH3, but they didn't persue too much support beyond that, very Nintendo style, they seems to start building strong 3rd party brigdes again but something still missing.

I think that the big Nintendo fault was not give more support to emergent 3rd parties like MMV.

Dragona Akehi said:
At this point I'm not sure if Nintendo can reverse the situation with the Wii. They're probably happy with its performance worldwide anyway.

Completely squandered.
I'm not sure how much they could have changed the market anyhow.

There was a mass migration from last gen to this into the portable arena. They might have been able to stave off the fall of the market, but I doubt they'd have a complete reversal of fortune.

It would likely be a similar situation to the PS3Slim. A better showing, but not Earthshaking.

I just think console are completely on the way out in Japan. Next gen will be interesting. I even wonder if the console market will end up with 10 million units combined next go around.

TunaLover said:
It puzzle me the way that Nintendo was acting before, we had good 3rd party deals, like Fatal Frame 4, Dragon Quest X, and possible MH3, but they didn't persue too much support beyond that, very Nintendo style, they seems to start building strong 3rd party brigdes again but something still missing.

I think that the big Nintendo fault was not give more support to emergent 3rd parties like MMV.

This is the part where I was saying that taking a tiny hit in their profits would prove to return them tenfold down the road.

Thunder Monkey said:
I'm not sure how much they could have changed the market anyhow.

There was a mass migration from last gen to this into the portable arena. They might have been able to stave off the fall of the market, but I doubt they'd have a complete reversal of fortune.

It would likely be a similar situation to the PS3Slim. A better showing, but not Earthshaking.

I just think console are completely on the way out in Japan. Next gen will be interesting. I even wonder if the console market will end up with 10 million units combined next go around.

If Nintendo had managed a steady ~50k a week they'd have maintained their lead ahead of the PS2 in Japan.

I really don't think there's a way for Nintendo to shake the apathy that has taken over the Wii consumer space at this point. Because they were too apathetic by half.

schuelma

Dragona Akehi said:
That's the only reason why I put the whole "six months after launch" thing, because then 3rd parties would see that Nintendo console hardware could sell and might be easier to persuade (with the aid of large tophats made of money).

I agree, but I guess my point is that if we use that timeline (6 months after launch), I don't know how much earlier *quality* 3rd party stuff could have appeared than right about now.

schuelma said:
I agree, but I guess my point is that if we use that timeline (6 months after launch), I don't know how much earlier *quality* 3rd party stuff could have appeared than right about now.

That's my point: by now we'd have games. We'd also have had hype for the past year with Magazine reveals and updates that'd have helped significantly to stave off ennui of the Wii consumer space.

Nintendo has everyone's attention now, and when the generations cycle again, they'll likely have a lot more support up front. I think the Gamecube saw too many 'back room deals' go sour for Iwata's palate.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein, (attributed)
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Top Bottom