• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2012 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

guek

Banned
The real sweet justice is that Dark Souls outsold Skyward Sword. :eek:

boo-this-man.gif

I've never actually played DS. From what I've heard, I'm sure it deserves to have sold well

Orgen

All games of first quarter were covered but I think this is new info

Zelda+White Wii MotionPlus bundle end of January ¥8.800

Hatsune Miku limited edition at 50k

Pokemon+Nobunaga March 17 ¥5.800

Kingdom Hearts 3D + AR Card March ¥5.800

Mario Party 9 April 26

I think I asked you before but do we know the date for the Mario Tennis 3DS game?

And thanks for the info.

Gaborn

The PS series was dominating the home console userbase and PSP was designed to take over what was Nintendo's stronghold at that period, which was the handheld market. Pretty sure most people laughed about the 'ridiculous' dual screen approach and assumed PSP will take over the handheld market just like they did home consoles. I think it's ridiculous to backpedal on that now that they've failed and conclude "oh well, they weren't really trying."

Ditto for Vita. That $249/24980yen price was a direct answer to 3DS's original price and, with 3ds's own list of failings, a lot of us probably thought "hey, the 3DS is fucked." Much of that opinion just changed w/ the price drop and now apparent strong lineup. I'm pretty damn sure Sony was going for the jugulars this time around as well.

I can't speak for "most" people but I never believed that. For the record I'm a NINTENDO fan, not a SONY fan, but I see what Sony is doing. There was no rational reason to believe the Vita or the PSP was going to compete from a SALES perspective with the DS/3DS because of the high price difference. I mean, fans of the system call it a value and it IS from a technological standpoint but consumers don't perceive the value, they view it through the lens of a game system, and that's it.

I think the Vita's price point WAS a good idea, but the problem is the Vita's price always from the outset seemed "stickier" than the 3DS's to me. I didn't think they'd drop the price as fast or by as much as they did but the truth is Nintendo did the drop because they COULD do the drop and it resuscitated the system prior to the software releases driving sales.

In Sony's case sure it sounded great at E3 but judging from what the 3DS did at $250 and given the PSV's software offerings is it still perceived as a value from a sales perspective now? The PSV's limitation was not solely about price, it was about how sticky that price was, how resistant Sony will be to drop the price. Nintendo took a chunk of the higher end market, got Sony to announce and then dropped the price. I think there was a bit of panic in the amount they dropped the price by but it has absolutely hamstrung Sony because there is NO way they can afford an $80 drop like Nintendo did ANY time soon

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Mario Party 9 April 26

It's the shipment for the limited edition, right?

Mario Party 9 April 26

Is that price for the zelda bundle right?

Dragon

Banned
I can't speak for "most" people but I never believed that. For the record I'm a NINTENDO fan, not a SONY fan, but I see what Sony is doing. There was no rational reason to believe the Vita or the PSP was going to compete from a SALES perspective with the DS/3DS because of the high price difference. I mean, fans of the system call it a value and it IS from a technological standpoint but consumers don't perceive the value, they view it through the lens of a game system, and that's it.

When the Vita's price was revealed, 3DS cost 250 dollars. That's why people said that it had a chance to compete. At least that's how I remembered it.

saichi

DCCharlie, do you tend to post on a tablet, or a phone? Your replies to people always seem to be missing the original message sender's name, haha.

So Mr. Serious Business brought up a decent point, what do you guys think Sony's going to do with PS3 in 2012? Sales were down ever so slightly year-over-year in 2011 despite the price cut. I'd like to see Sony drop the price below 20,000 yen - maybe have another case revision and launch that with Move bundled in every unit, though they may be selling at a loss with that scenario. I think now's the year SCEJ should stress the PS3 as a family console, especially with The Last Guardian likely to see release.

I don't see the connection. The Last Guardian is a family game?

Mpl90

KH3D, considering it has also the AR Card...is priced low. At the same price of Kid Icarus, 200 Yen lower than KH BbS, even lower than KH BbS Final Mix. I was expecting something like 6400 Yen.

Busaiku

So Kingdom Hearts 3D also comes with AR cards like Kid Icarus Uprising.
I hope these are like Yu-Gi-Oh cards with the various franchises.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
KH3D, considering it has also the AR Card...is priced low. At the same price of Kid Icarus, 200 Yen lower than KH BbS, even lower than KH BbS Final Mix. I was expecting something like 6400 Yen.
That's good since there's a chance it'll have a Final Mix too.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Or the platform, among other things.
Twilight Princess sold much better, let's not even talk about WW, or OOT on N64...

A good Zelda game (all Zelda games are good, but I'm talking in the Zelda scale here) should have no trouble selling more than a million, sadly, Aonuma's team suck at making the games and have never successfully made a "core" Zelda experience (core as in core and not as in hardcorez).

guek

Banned
“One of the encouraging things about 3DS’ sales performance at Christmas is that it is confounding the naysayers who say that there is no room in the market for a dedicated handheld gaming device. And to that extent we were encouraged by how 3DS did over the last month.” - SCEE president and CEO Jim Ryan

Hrrm...

Repositioning PS3 as a family console seems like a losing proposition. It doesn't really seem to have major games that'd appeal to that segment except Move stuff and maybe Ninokuni, which all flopped hard already.

Maybe they could start pushing 3rd parties to port more Wii stuff like Go Vacation, Family Fishing or Inazuma Strikers, but I just don't see it going well. Especially next year when Wii U will be gunning for the same thing with Wii Sports and NSMB.

saichi

Sony initially made their inroads with a high end system knowing it wasn't going to generate tremendous revenue early on but would eventually do so. In a sense it's another variant of their PS3 strategy, over the long haul they're going to make good money. But the basic reason they did it is not because they want to make marginal profits, it's that the only way to make sufficient inroads to eventually make larger profits is essentially to bypass the market Nintendo has cornered in the immediate term and compete for later in the life cycle.

Don't think Sony is making money back from the heavy loss in early PS3 days. not even sure over the long haul, they will even make money.

EDIT: I think I might have misunderstood. Maybe you mean they are making money early in gen now with VITA and will make money with it over the long haul even with a smaller market. Is that what you meant?

waicol

Banned
I have this terrible feeling it won't be included this time around, but I certainly hope I'm wrong!

Either way, though, I'm buying it :)

I have the feeling that it will have a sort of like RPG single player to get upgrades and customizations, all that so people can use these in an online system akin to Mario Kart 7 with communities, 2v2, tournaments and such.

Gaborn

When the Vita's price was revealed, 3DS cost 250 dollars. That's why people said that it had a chance to compete. At least that's how I remembered it.

I understand that, but even if the 3DS was STILL $250 I don't think it would be doing as badly as the Vita. My point was first that Nintendo had a lot more "room" or ability at least to handle something like a price drop in a way that Vita did not. I said when the 3DS was struggling that Nintendo was getting their mistakes out of the way at the time and would have time to make a correction if they felt it was warranted, Vita didn't have any margin for error because they're "late" to market. I also think on a slightly different topic Nintendo has and had consistent historical system sellers they could call on (and of course did) that I don't think the Vita has especially with the loss of Monster Hunter exclusivity. It's never been clear to me where the Vita sales that would be needed to compete with Nintendo were going to come from.

You can point to specific Nintendo games that are currently driving hardware and will likely do so in the future. I don't think the Vita ever had that where you could point to something. There is always a possibility for a massive surprise hit but I never saw anything compelling from the perspective of a long term system seller like Nintendo has always had. So I never got the rationale for Vita's long term competing with the 3DS.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Twilight Princess sold much better, let's not even talk about WW, or OOT on N64...

A good Zelda game (all Zelda games are good, but I'm talking in the Zelda scale here) should have no trouble selling more than a million, sadly, Aonuma's team suck at making the games and have never successfully made a "core" Zelda experience (core as in core and not as in hardcorez).
Let's not forget that Twilight Princess was there during launch period. It was a very early time in the Wii's life and software ecosystem- A point that should be considered when looking at the sales of certain types of games on the system.

I mean, I'm not saying that the reason the game isn't selling as well as previous entries is due entirely to the Wii, but that it isn't right to attribute its poor performance to just the game itself.

I have this terrible feeling it won't be included this time around, but I certainly hope I'm wrong!

Either way, though, I'm buying it :)
I really hope it does. I need some new Role Playing Golf in my life.

I also think it'd have been smart for Clap Hanz to ripoff this mode for PSP/Vita Mingol. Surprised they never did.

qq more

When you factor in the 360 version, MW3 probably sold more than Skyward Sword in Japan.

LOL

I'm not even a huge Zelda fan but I think I've just died a little from the inside.

Nintendo really needs to do something for the console Zelda games.

duckroll

The AR Card is probably a pre-order bonus, which would make it basically free. Also, are those prices before or after tax? Because 5800yen after tax would be 6,090yen, the same price as BbS and BbS FM. That's also how much Thearthayeyngam costs, so I don't think KH3D is going to be cheaper than that. :p

Mpl90

Considering Sinobi talks about Pokemon + Nobunaga saying that it costs 5800 Yen, and on Amazon it has that price indeed...I think he's referring to the price after tax, but I could be wrong.

Something fascinates me.

048. [PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2011 (Konami) {2011.04.14} - 219.966 / 219.966
063. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2011 (Konami) {2011.04.14} - 175.066 / 175.066

Spirits games, the "serious" ones, do better on PSP, but

049. [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2011 (Konami) {2011.07.14} - 219.811 / 219.811
061. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2011 (Konami) {2011.07.14} - 182.505 / 182.505

Pawapuro ones, the stylized one, do better on PS3.

This happened also last year, which has been, IIRC, the first time of the Spirits brand on PSP

[PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2010 (Konami) - 62.027 / 206.786 / 30,00% 01/04/10
[PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2010 (Konami) - 83.202 / 170.033 / 48,93% 01/04/10

and the first time of the Pawapuro one on PS3

[PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2010 (Konami) - 114.949 / 212.871 / 54,00% 15/07/10
[PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2010 (Konami) - 53.339 / 163.620 / 32,60% 15/07/10

And not only the sum between the two SKUs for each game is similar, but even the numbers themselves are similar for each game.

In the end, Konami should be glad to have two 400k about sport brands. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The AR Card is probably a pre-order bonus, which would make it basically free. Also, are those prices before or after tax? Because 5800yen after tax would be 6,090yen, the same price as BbS and BbS FM. That's also how much Thearthayeyngam costs, so I don't think KH3D is going to be cheaper than that. :p

Yeah I had this realization 4 or 5 years ago; I could never understand why there were quite so many price points, until I realized that half of them were with tax and half of them were without tax, hahaha.

Anzan

Neo Member

Er... yeah, believe it or not your opinion does not represent an absolute barometer to the quality of Zelda games. For me, Skyward Sword is second only to Majora's Mask, and easily first in gameplay and world design.

The Wii is struggling, and Wii Motion Plus software is struggling even more, especially when Nintendo understocked the bundles and no longer sells the dongles, meaning Skyward Sword represents a pretty huge investment for anyone who didn't own Wii Motion Plus before it came out, which is a lot of core gamers... the very sort of gamer who'd be interested in buying it in the first place. Nintendo drove them away by not offering enough reasonable ways to get the game if you weren't a WMP owner already. The cost is too high, and that coupled with dwindling Wii interest has kept the sales down.

Unfortunate for a brilliant game, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

saichi

Considering Sinobi talks about Pokemon + Nobunaga saying that it costs 5800 Yen, and on Amazon it has that price indeed...I think he's referring to the price after tax, but I could be wrong.

Something fascinates me.

048. [PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2011 (Konami) {2011.04.14} - 219.966 / 219.966
063. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2011 (Konami) {2011.04.14} - 175.066 / 175.066

Spirits games, the "serious" ones, do better on PSP, but

049. [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2011 (Konami) {2011.07.14} - 219.811 / 219.811
061. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2011 (Konami) {2011.07.14} - 182.505 / 182.505

Pawapuro ones, the stylized one, do better on PS3.

This happened also last year, which has been, IIRC, the first time of the Spirits brand on PSP

[PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2010 (Konami) - 62.027 / 206.786 / 30,00% 01/04/10
[PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2010 (Konami) - 83.202 / 170.033 / 48,93% 01/04/10

and the first time of the Pawapuro one on PS3

[PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2010 (Konami) - 114.949 / 212.871 / 54,00% 15/07/10
[PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2010 (Konami) - 53.339 / 163.620 / 32,60% 15/07/10

And not only the sum between the two SKUs for each game is similar, but even the numbers themselves are similar for each game.

In the end, Konami should be glad to have two 400k about sport brands. :p

you don't have to change to please Takao, eh... ;-)

I always find this argument funny when people start arguing the reason SS flopped is because of its quality. PH is the 2nd best selling Zelda.

SS flopped because it was released at the end of Wii's life cycle. Most "hardcore" games released from mid-2010 till present day on the Wii have either bombed spectacularly or underperformed. I thought it was fairly established that after 2009, "hardcore" gamers abandoned the platform.

Takao

Banned
Patapon 3 is by far the best selling iteration of the series in Japan. I hope Sony keeps it going on Vita.

It is compared to Gravity Daze, haha. I think TLG has niche appeal in a bunch of demos.

Mpl90

Naaaah, this is something I want to talk about, since...it's something particular and that interest me. :D

But just to put the karma back on track

[3DS] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP (Bandai Namco) - 76.578 / 213.840 / 35,81% 26/05/11

[WII] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise 1 - The Treasure Beneath the Waves (Bandai Namco) - 57.158 / 128.263 / 44,56% 11/09/08
[WII] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise 2 - Awakening of the Hero (Bandai Namco) - 47.166 / 115.311 / 40,90% 26/02/09

One Piece is much more popular now than 2-3 years ago, indeed.

Orgen

He only wants to be loved! If you were responsible for the downfall of Takao's avatar, you'd be doing the same ;P

Anyone has the previous Nobunaga sales so we can guesstimate how can Pokemon x Nobunaga perform?

Thanks in advance!

Orgen

I always find this argument funny when people start arguing the reason SS flopped is because of its quality. PH is the 2nd best selling Zelda.

SS flopped because it was released at the end of Wii's life cycle. Most "hardcore" games released from mid-2010 till present day on the Wii have either bombed spectacularly or underperformed. I thought it was fairly established that after 2009, "hardcore" gamers abandoned the platform.

What "hardcore" Nintendo games released from mid-2010 have bombed or underperformed? Zelda is a big Nintendo franchise just like Donkey Kong which sold almost 1 million in Japan and 5 million worldwide last Christmas (numbers that Zelda: SS won't ever reach at this pace).

Naaaah, this is something I want to talk about, since...it's something particular and that interest me. :D

But just to put the karma back on track

[3DS] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP (Bandai Namco) - 76.578 / 213.840 / 35,81% 26/05/11

[WII] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise 1 - The Treasure Beneath the Waves (Bandai Namco) - 57.158 / 128.263 / 44,56% 11/09/08
[WII] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise 2 - Awakening of the Hero (Bandai Namco) - 47.166 / 115.311 / 40,90% 26/02/09

One Piece is much more popular now than 2-3 years ago, indeed.

I recall the Everyone's selection releases of the games selling a good amount too. But yeah, One Piece is more popular now due to the time skip.

Mpl90

He only wants to be loved! If you were responsible for the downfall of Takao's avatar, you'd be doing the same ;P

Anyone has the previous Nobunaga sales so we can guesstimate how can Pokemon x Nobunaga perform?

Thanks in advance!

Ah! for the first sentence.

Yo, I heard u like Nobunaga

[360] Nobunaga's Ambition: Way of Heaven (Koei) - 2.520 / 3.197 / 78,82% 04/03/10
[NDS] Nobunaga's Ambition DS 2 (Koei) - 9.398 / 46.185 / 20,35% 31/07/08
[NDS] Nobunaga's Ambition: Kunitori Zunou Battle (Koei) - 7.100 / 23.538 / 30,16% 26/06/08
[NDS] Nobunaga's Ambition DS (Koei) - / 17.143 / 0,00% 27/04/06
[PS1] Nobunaga's Ambition: Memories (Koei) - 55.388 / 176.399 / 31,40% 27/11/97
[PS1] Nobunaga's Ambition: Reppuuden (Koei) - 42.270 / 120.509 / 35,08% 09/09/99
[PS1] Nobunaga's Ambition: Tenshoki [Playstation the Best] (Koei) - 17.940 / 80.918 / 22,17% 28/03/97
[PS1] Nobunaga's Ambition: Reppuuden with Power Up Kit (Koei) - 9.147 / 9.147 / 100,00% 06/04/00
[PS1] Nobunaga's Ambition: Tenshoki with Power-Up Kit (Koei) - 6.693 / 6.693 / 100,00% 11/09/97
[PS2] Nobunaga's Ambition: Storm Century (Koei) - 40.282 / 142.172 / 28,33% 04/04/02
[PS2] Nobunaga's Ambition: Memories (Koei) - 46.921 / 124.807 / 37,59% 30/01/03
[PS2] Nobunaga's Ambition: Iron Triangle (Koei) - 38.560 / 89.032 / 43,31% 02/02/06
[PS2] Nobunaga's Ambition: Rise to Power (Koei) - 28.175 / 88.485 / 31,84% 01/04/04
[PS2] Nobunaga's Ambition Online (Koei) - 21.034 / 58.750 / 35,80% 12/06/03
[PS2] Nobunaga's Ambition: Rise to Power [Playstation 2 the Best] (Koei) - / 32.912 / 0,00% 01/12/05
[PS2] Nobunaga's Ambition: Iron Triangle with Power-Up Kit (Koei) - 9.465 / 31.379 / 30,16% 06/03/08
[PS2] Nobunaga's Ambition: Memories with Power-Up Kit (Koei) - / 26.828 / 0,00% 18/12/03
[PS2] Nobunaga's Ambition: Storm Century with Power-Up Kit (Koei) - 5.921 / 14.621 / 40,50% 03/10/02
[PS2] Nobunaga's Ambition: Rise to Power with Power-Up Kit [Koei Teiban Series] (Koei) - 1.471 / 13.567 / 10,84% 26/11/09
[PS2] Nobunaga's Ambition: Memories [Koei the Best] (Koei) - 1.256 / 1.256 / 100,00% 10/06/04
[PS2] Nobunaga's Ambition Online - Souha no Shou (Koei) - 580 / 580 / 100,00% 27/03/08
[PS3] Nobunaga's Ambition: Way of Heaven (Koei) - 40.330 / 106.276 / 37,95% 04/03/10
[PS3] Nobunaga's Ambition: Way of Heaven with Power-up Kit (Koei Tecmo) - 16.304 / 27.105 / 60,15% 26/05/11*
[PSP] Nobunaga's Ambition: Tenshoki (Koei) - 3.270 / 12.382 / 26,41% 01/09/05
[PSP] Nobunaga's Ambition: Tenshoki with Power-Up Kit (Koei Tecmo) - 4.470 / 4.470 / 100,00% 04/08/11
[SAT] Nobunaga's Ambition: Tenshoki (Koei) - 44.307 / 68.412 / 64,76% 29/09/95
[SFC] Nobunaga's Ambition: Tenshoki (Koei) - 40.953 / 140.403 / 29,17% 26/01/96
[WII] Nobunaga's Ambition: Iron Triangle with Power-Up Kit (Koei) - 650 / 650 / 100,00% 06/03/08
[XBX] Nobunaga's Ambition: Storm Century (Koei) - 9.329 / 16.933 / 55,09% 22/02/02

*To have the updated total, we must wait Famitsu top 1000, since it's been released this year.

The best selling entries did in the 140k territories, and it's a brand which sells during time normally.

What "hardcore" Nintendo games released from mid-2010 have bombed or underperformed? Zelda is a big Nintendo franchise just like Donkey Kong which sold almost 1 million in Japan and 5 million worldwide last Christmas (numbers that Zelda: SS won't ever reach at this pace).
Donkey Kong Country Returns is a bridge game. It is a 2D platformer and is a bridge game for Core/non-gamers like NSMB Wii or MK is. There is a big market on Wii for 2D Platformers. Not much evidence in a market for Action-Adventure titles on Wii.

Xenoblade, Sin & Punishment, Punch out, The Last Story, and Metroid: Other M all did fairly underwhelming. I'm also struggling to think of any 3rd party titles that did well other than Just Dance.

Zelda obviously still did pretty shitacular but I'd say a lot of that rests on the fact that it was released on Wii, not the game itself. Zelda may be a bigger name than the five games mentioned but I'd argue some of those such as The Last Story were more heavily marketed.

Well, Nintendo's big RPG push (Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower) sort of fell on deaf ears. Reginliev and Other M didn't do so hot either. I expect the new Fatal Frame to barely register too, all these games probably would've made way more impact had they come a couple years earlier.

DKCR sold great, but 2D platformers seem to have much more mainstream appeal, especially after what NSMBWii did for the genre on this system. Action, adventure or role playing games never really had a similar success story to drive the market for these later games.

Mpl90

Yeah, Xenoblade and Last Story basically came up too late, and if Xenoblade, in the end, didn't do too shabby, considering the 80k first week, and paved the way for a sequel, especially due to the amazing reception it had, The Last Story failed despite a much bigger advertising plan done by Nintendo, with even the bundle, and it didn't do so well in regard to general reception.

Those were games Wii should have had 6 months after DQX announcement, when Wii was at least alive during the rest of the year...or, even better, during Holidays 2008. But we can say these things only NOW, when everything already happened, who knew Wii would have seen such a sharp downfall and that third parties would have (IMHO not an absolutely total wrong idea in theory, but wrong the way they did it ) really ignored it even after the first two years of almost complete absence of "first-tier console" offerings (the only exceptions being DQS in 2007, and Tales of Symphonia 2 and Taiko in 2008 ) despite the big hardware sales.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Hadn't realised that the price was stable at around the 5000 yen mark. That is a positive sign - especially after the rapid discounting of Tri - and bodes well for the title.

Other thing i'd add is that even though there are other games out and new games coming out (on all platforms), it's Monster Hunter that still has the displays up - now incorporating the PSP game as well, along with 3DS accessories (the hilarious Rathalos carry pouch being a winner), other stuffed toy goods, screen protectors, etc.

Monster Hunter is big business - and not just for the games themselves. I might try and do a round up of just how insane the secondary goods item scene is for MH. It really is starting to get Pokemon-esque

Kenka

Could anyone be enough of a gentleman to tell me why BurntPork got banned again ? It feels awkward for him to suddenly be vaccumed.

Mpl90

Could anyone be enough of a gentleman to tell me why BurntPork got banned again ? It feels awkward for him to suddenly be vaccumed.

It seems it happened in the Wii U thread, the one about its presence at CES.

Buuuuuuuuut...where are the first day impressions? :(

Kenka

It seems it happened in the Wii U thread, the one about its presence at CES.

Buuuuuuuuut...where are the first day impressions? :(
Literally everybody could have gotten banned there, it was a chaos hole for the mind. I stepped in only once to get out frightened. Regarding first-day impressions from Sinobi, I think they have gone long ago, right ?

Mpl90

now i'm wondering why they let them make a pokemon game, those aren't exactly strong sales aren't they?

Probably some deals between Tecmo and Nintendo...and Tecmo, after all, earns money from this. And make the brand much more recognisable for a main stream audience, so it can translate in better sales in the future.

You know, I'd so like to see a Pokémon x Digimon crossover, especially now that Xros Wars made the brand relevant again, so much that
In some weeks we'll see the main characters of this series challenge the "captains" of the precedent five series

Top Bottom