• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2012 (Jan 02 - Jan 08)

gconsole

Dont know why people doesnt accept that zelda ss is simply not appeal at all. Its not like gamer stop playing adv game. Its the game outlook that stop people from wanting to buy this game. I am the one.

DCharlie said:
Given the installed user base of Wii that has to snatch the crown as bomba of the year. Even FF13-2 has bested it and -that- apparently bombed (though - special award for Legs or whatever Nintendo people call it...)
I know this post ended with a #trollface, but to this part specifically: I'd agree with whoever was suggesting earlier it was one of the biggest Nintendo bombs of the generation, but it's still dropped less from its predecessor than XIII-2.

XIII-2 through 3 weeks: About 39% of FF XIII.
SS through 3 weeks: About 44% of TP.
SS through 5 weeks: About 50% of TP.

Not unexpected, but just noticed MC did indeed stop listing DS Lite.
dsllaunch

olimpia84

Dont know why people doesnt accept that zelda ss is simply not appeal at all. Its not like gamer stop playing adv game. Its the game outlook that stop people from wanting to buy this game. I am the one.

SS seems to be doing well in other territories. I think it has to do more with the fact that it's not a handheld game to be honest.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
JoshuaJSlone said:
Not unexpected, but just noticed MC did indeed stop listing DS Lite.
It's weird looking at this year now - 3DS at its high price point and relatively weak start still managed to kill off NDS family outright, the effect was visible from week one.
Vita doesn't seem to have any effect so far, which I guess answers the question which of the old handhelds will chart longer. Heck PSP may even have a shot at catching PS2 now...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It's weird looking at this year now - 3DS at its high price point and relatively weak start still managed to kill off NDS family outright, the effect was visible from week one.
Vita doesn't seem to have any effect so far, which I guess answers the question which of the old handhelds will chart longer. Heck PSP may even have a shot at catching PS2 now...

Sony won't let this situation continue. PSP is done with big releases and that was obvious at holiday software sales. The transition to Vita might take a bit longer than Sony expected though.

gconsole

SS seems to be doing well in other territories. I think it has to do more with the fact that it's not a handheld game to be honest.

Zelda SS has the same problem as Xenoblade. It doesn't look appeal. I almost miss one of the greatest JRPG this generation (Xenoblade) only because I have completely ignore the game when it annouce. I don't like mechanic and Robot thing. The main character look stupid and week. The overworld looks boring (yet, i was wrong, it one of the best the game has to offer). And many more. I only pick it up just because it's in Top 10 greatest Nintendo game. I absolutely obsess with it after 3-4 hours into the game. The story is still a bit stupid, but the game is freaking great.

I play every Zelda. I know I will get the same fun with Zelda SS. But I don't feel buying and playing just because SS look so normal at best.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sony won't let this situation continue. PSP is done with big releases and that was obvious at holiday software sales. The transition to Vita might take a bit longer than Sony expected though.

I think Vita's going to need the 'ol 3DS pricedrop treatment. Would be perfect if they can coincide a price drop with a big release. Also, new needs other colors to choose from.

wrowa

Zelda SS has the same problem as Xenoblade. It doesn't look appeal. I almost miss one of the greatest JRPG this generation (Xenoblade) only because I have completely ignore the game when it annouce. I don't like mechanic and Robot thing. The main character look stupid and week. The overworld looks boring (yet, i was wrong, it one of the best the game has to offer). And many more. I only pick it up just because it's in Top 10 greatest Nintendo game. I absolutely obsess with it after 3-4 hours into the game. The story is still a bit stupid, but the game is freaking great.

I play every Zelda. I know I will get the same fun with Zelda SS. But I don't feel buying and playing just because SS look so normal at best.

Taking yourself as the benchmark for the appeal of a game to other people isn't a very healthy attitude.

Kenka

There is little to no doubt that Sony will inject some testosterone in the Vita in Japan in the forthcoming months to revitalise it. The crucial point is if they have enough of big balls to put all their aces on the table (price drop, selection of colours, better services, large-profile game announcement and the moneyhat that goes with, etc...) so close to the launch window.

Nintendo did it. Let's see when/if Sony follows this strategy as well.

gconsole

Taking yourself as the benchmark for the appeal of a game to other people isn't a very healthy attitude.

You're right. I just my feeling that if I don't want to buy the game that I play every part of it since last 10 years then it would be something wrong with the game rather than myself. But whatever ;)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Vita right now needs games which can sell the console even before the price cut. Especially in order to see if the problem is the price itself or the games: if the console doesn't start selling more thanks to games, then it's the fault of the price. But Vita needs BIG games. Right now, it hasn't ANYTHING which can help. At least for now, the situation can change in a short period of time.

And now, I'll ask it again. Where are my first day retailer impressions? Chris?

Vinnk? :(

udivision

That's why all "how Nintendo should fix Zelda" posts never sound like they'll translate into anything more than "some fans would be happy, others wouldn't, and others still wouldn't care," even when the intention is that it'll make Zelda a 10 million seller.

sphinx

the piano man
If anyone would be kind enough... It would be very nice if we could compare sales of Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword.

both games appeared very late in their consoles' lifes, when both consoles were practically dead and as a sequel to an otherwise solid/succesful entry.

if we find out that MM had a sales performance comparable to that of SS, then there could be some hope that SS had such a bad performance because of bad timing and apathy towards the console its on, as opposed to apathy to the series itself.

Mpl90

If anyone would be kind enough... It would be very nice if we could compare sales of Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword.

both games appeared very late in their consoles' lifes, when both consoles were practically dead and as a sequel to an otherwise solid/succesful entry.

if we find out that MM had a sales performance comparable to that of SS, then there could be some hope that SS had such a bad performance because of bad timing and apathy towards the console its on, as opposed to apathy to the series itself.

[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo) - 386.234 / 1.143.570 / 33,77% 21/11/98
[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo) - 314.044 / 601.542 / 52,21% 27/04/00

[WII] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) - 145.068 / 554.109 / 26,18% 02/12/06
[WII] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Nintendo) - 194.894 / 278.749 / 69,92% 23/11/11

The comparison has to be done between the first entry and the second entry on each console, IMHO.

MM sold about double of what SS will eventually do.

http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/3368
http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php//gid/5333

For N64 I have only data from the overall yearly Top 100s, so it's quite incomplete. However, two things are evident:
1) Majora's Mask sold a lot more than Skyward Sword, though its only appearance here is after a much longer period of time.
2) Majora's Mask sold a lot less than Ocarina of Time.
N64+MM

Wii+SS

---

So after taking care of that line issue yesterday, my next goal was to fix the pie charts, which seemed to sometimes work fine and other times be totally crazy. As it turns out this one wasn't me--even the graph software's simplest pie example would freak out when given some of the modern weekly hardware numbers to work with. I think it was a bug with how it would deal with tiny slices. Anyway, tried out a new version of JpGraph and that seemed to take care of the problem. While I was at it, though, I decided to bring the pie up to date a bit. One biggie is that what I'd split into different files back when I was new at this are now combined--no need for a separate piechartweekly for single weeks, piechartspan for multiple weeks, and pacchartweekly for Pac-Man.

December Pac-Chart

2010 and 2011 pies at same scale

Japanese Hardware Sales Pie Graph Generator

There is little to no doubt that Sony will inject some testosterone in the Vita in Japan in the forthcoming months to revitalise it. The crucial point is if they have enough of big balls to put all their aces on the table (price drop, selection of colours, better services, large-profile game announcement and the moneyhat that goes with, etc...) so close to the launch window.

Nintendo did it. Let's see when/if Sony follows this strategy as well.

This is probably just a quibble with your wording, but considering software development times, the question pertinent to a potential Vita turnaround isn't what Sony can secure now; it's what as-yet-unannounced support they were able to secure in 2011 or earlier. Announcing, say, an exclusive FF or KH game for 2013 would obviously help, but it would only do so much to boost 2012 Vita sales when the platform is up against a very strong lineup of 3DS software that actually is shipping in 2012.

sphinx

the piano man
[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo) - 386.234 / 1.143.570 / 33,77% 21/11/98
[N64] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo) - 314.044 / 601.542 / 52,21% 27/04/00

[WII] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) - 145.068 / 554.109 / 26,18% 02/12/06
[WII] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Nintendo) - 194.894 / 278.749 / 69,92% 23/11/11

The comparison has to be done between the first entry and the second entry on each console, IMHO.

For N64 I have only data from the overall yearly Top 100s, so it's quite incomplete. However, two things are evident:
1) Majora's Mask sold a lot more than Skyward Sword, though its only appearance here is after a much longer period of time.
2) Majora's Mask sold a lot less than Ocarina of Time.

but according to this, it would mean Majora's Mask did actually worse related to Ocarina of time than Skyward sword related to twilight princes right?

I guess I am trying to see the positive in the negative...

It really pains me to see a series like Zelda in such a constant decline over the years. Only Phantom Hourglass has sold over a million since Ocarina of time...and I don't want Zelda to be handheld exclusive..

Mpl90

Dem Tecmo Koei cash cows.

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7 (Koei) - 259.787 / 470.773 / 55,18% 10/03/11
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7: Extreme Legends (Koei Tecmo) - 79.452 / 134.350 / 59,14% 29/09/11
[PSP] Dynasty Warriors 7: Special (Koei Tecmo) - 28.598 / 54.441 / 52,53% 25/08/11

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 6 (Koei) - 176.180 / 371.443 / 47,43% 11/11/07
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires (Koei) - 78.680 / 153.065 / 51,40% 28/05/09
[PSP] Dynasty Warriors 6: Special (Koei) - 23.059 / 76.729 / 30,05% 22/10/09

[PS3] Samurai Warriors 3Z (Koei) - 224.012 / 328.716 / 68,15% 10/02/11
[PS3] Samurai Warriors 3: Empires (Koei Tecmo) - 70.488 / 102.144 / 69,01% 25/08/11
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei) - 126.646 / 275.037 / 46,05% 03/12/09
[WII] Samurai Warriors 3: Xtreme Legends (Koei Tecmo) - 24.549 / 60.242 / 40,75% 10/02/11

Samurai Warriors 3 have been literally abused. And next months we'll have the Special on PSP.

donny2112

Vita has no where to go but up.

This is the exact opposite of reality.

I hope Camelot keeps the RPG-like campaign from the Game Boy games.

It's a port of Mario Tennis 64, which had no RPG mode. Only the portable version have had RPG modes.

I expect the new Fatal Frame to barely register too,

The 3DS version could get people into the idea of moving the system around as the camera to play. Then, they move the game to Wii U, where you move around the tablet controller as the camera to play ...

Mpl90

This is the exact opposite of reality.

It's a port of Mario Tennis 64, which had no RPG mode. Only the portable version have had RPG modes.

The 3DS version could get people into the idea of moving the system around as the camera to play. Then, they move the game to Wii U, where you move around the tablet controller as the camera to play ...

...When did Nintendo say that MT would have been a port of the Nintendo 64 title? I haven't heard anything like that.

donny2112

...When did Nintendo say that MT would have been a port of the Nintendo 64 title? I haven't heard anything like that.

Thought it was obvious. We've had ports of OoT and StarFox, Camelot hasn't made a Mario Sports game since Mario Golf Advance, I think, and it looks just like Mario Tennis 64. It never even crossed my mind that it could be a new iteration of the series. If it is, okay, but seems really out of place considering the above reasons, and there hasn't been any talk of Camelot returning to Mario Sports, then.

I think it's a port of Mario Tennis 64. Why wouldn't it be?

Jokeropia

A good Zelda game (all Zelda games are good, but I'm talking in the Zelda scale here) should have no trouble selling more than a million, sadly, Aonuma's team suck at making the games and have never successfully made a "core" Zelda experience (core as in core and not as in hardcorez).
A million seems like a pretty high bar for Japan alone. Has any installment done it since OoT? (Garaph has Phantom Hourglass at 902k.)

Mpl90

Thought it was obvious. We've had ports of OoT and StarFox, Camelot hasn't made a Mario Sports game since Mario Golf Advance, I think, and it looks just like Mario Tennis 64. It never even crossed my mind that it could be a new iteration of the series. If it is, okay, but seems really out of place considering the above reasons, and there hasn't been any talk of Camelot returning to Mario Sports, then.

We've seen just 20 seconds of it, we can't say things like that. And, if it were the case, they would've said it immediatly, just like they did with Zelda and StarFox.

Mpl90

If you are not OG Saga you don't want to see first day sales of the other titles.

Poor Shinrei Camera :(

Let's see if it can recover during the weekend.

EDIT: I thought it was doing well, at least compared to shipment, seeing that on Amazon it's priced 2000 Yen more than the normal price, but maybe it's the shipment to be very limited...or it's just the game. However, it can still recover in the weekend, since I see it being a bit "casual", with that pricing. A big recover happened also to Go Vacation...I remember the first impressions for this were on the same scale, then 45k the first week. If it recovers, it could do even 30-35k in the first week. I'm not expecting more.

If it were a port they'd have called it Mario Tennis 64 3D.

Shiggy

They still did NPC: Mario Power Tennis.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
probably the last time we'll see nsmb and mario kart ds in the top 50.

i know i said that last year, but i really mean it this time.

And I 'll answer the same thing. When NSMB3DS comes out you'll see NSMB rising again. But with MKDS you are probably right.

donny2112

If it were a port they'd have called it Mario Tennis 64 3D.

Nintendo Power had a non-informative blurb in it this month, but the screenshot showed "Peach Dome" which was apparently the last level in the GameCube Mario Tennis. Since we already got a port of GameCube's Mario Tennis on Wii, another port of the GameCube's Mario Tennis seems unlikely. So maybe it's a new version?

They still did NPC: Mario Power Tennis.

A port is not the same thing as designing a new Mario Sports entry, especially since this conversation started with the question of if it would have an RPG mode. That's a whole different level of development to include (at least if it's good) compared to a port.

Shiggy

A port is not the same thing as designing a new Mario Sports entry, especially since this conversation started with the question of if it would have an RPG mode. That's a whole different level of development to include (at least if it's good) compared to a port.

I was just replying as you said that MG Advance was their last Mario Sports title.

If I remember correctly, Camelot lost several key members of their Mario Sports team after they finished the GBA/GCN titles. I'll try to back that up.

Edit: Faster than I thought:

AR: Has the team changed much since creating the Mario Golf games across GBC through to GameCube? And were there any particular lessons learned from those experiences that helped you make We Love Golf an even better game?

The Takahashi Brothers: Unfortunately we have had some changes in the team and a few of our main members had to leave just after the previous launch. To tell the truth our slight stalling in development and the low profile within the consoles market in the past few years are somewhat related to that. Developing games for consoles certainly is not an easy task and a quality game only comes from a quality team. We Love Golf is a product made possible by the 'next generation' staff that have now become top developers. Of course the founding members are still with us and it was them that managed the game and trained the 'next generation' staff. This is quite apparent in the credits. We learn many things each time we are involved with a game and for instance when we made Mario Golf 64 our knowledge reflected onto Mario Tennis 64 and onto Golden Sun. Despite the fact We Love Golf has unconventional features such as the unique Wii control interface and the new online system, the game was developed in a very short time to a high standard. This was only possible because of our accumulated experience in games development.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/10353

donny2112 said:
These posts are literally the first I'm hearing of a new (or port) Mario Tennis, so just speaking in generalities: We've seen other Nintendo games ported or remade to portables, but I don't know that we have for the type of game that gets a name like Mario Activity and shows up once per system; we see games with a particular story or level set that people like return. Mario Kart 7 rather than Mario Kart 64 3D, for instance.

Boney

Banned
In Japan, Other M did pretty fairly. 70K, and Fusion is the only 21st century Metroid game to pass 100K.

I was talking more about ww, but it still was a huge effort to warm up to japanese gamers, with what I'd think was a huge budget, but didn't manage to get close to Fusion.

How much did Zero Mission do, I recall doing pretty bad.

Mpl90

I was talking more about ww, but it still was a huge effort to warm up to japanese gamers, with what I'd think was a huge budget, but didn't manage to get close to Fusion.

How much did Zero Mission do, I recall doing pretty bad.

[GBA] Metroid Fusion (Nintendo) - 49.680 / 155.528 / 31,94% 14/02/03
[GBA] Metroid: Zero Mission (Nintendo) - 39.112 / 85.045 / 45,99% 27/05/04
[WII] Metroid Other M (Nintendo) - 44.103 / 70.870 / 62,23% 02/09/10

apujanata

In fact, I have Zelda:SS for 1-2 months, and I haven't played it yet (I let my sons played it)
When Zelda:WW was out, I played it immediately after purchase. Same thing (play immediately after purchase) happened with Zelda:TP. In fact, play immediately after purchase is the normal for me regarding Zelda (ALTTP, PH, ST). I think Spirit Track is the main cause of my greatly diminishing interest for Zelda games. :(

I don't have problem with Xenoblade, since I like Robot.

... or to be anything like Phantom Hourglass.

I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass more than Spirit Tracks.

gconsole

What about compare as a whole series progress?

Top Bottom