• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2017 (Mar 13 - Mar 19)

zeromcd73

Next months won't be different. We are entering slow weeks for new releases from now until June, with the exception of Golden Week. Very few titles will top 100k.
Decided to check the upcoming games list on famitsu to see what could potentially sell over 100k in Spring

April
20 - Fire Emblem Echoes (3DS)
27 - Dragon Ball Ultimate Mission X (3DS)
28 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NSW)

June
01 - Tekken 7 (PS4)

And then we have the titles dated with Spring that still don't have a release date (or even month) with ARMS and Lady Layton.

Switch seems pretty certain.

PS4 though... I mean why? It doesn't make very much sense. The only reason I won't rule it out or say it's unlikely is because it is Capcom after all.

Because capcom have said they want to expand the audience overseas and I think for them that means releasing a PS4 version. Its hard to ignore the user base of the PS4 as well. It has a sizeable user base in Japan and is still selling well and it has a monstrous user base overseas. Whilst I'm sure a switch version would sell more I think capcom won't be able to ignore that audience.

duckroll

MC 2017 Summary:

PS4 Port Begging -> Why? Doesn't make sense!!!!!!!!!
Switch Port Begging -> This better happen or the market deserves to crash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sony port beggers = T_T
Nintendo port beggers = ^_^

BKK

Media Create Sell-through

01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.03.18} (¥5.800) - 848.467 / NEW <72,39%> [Units shipped => 1.172.078]

First Day Sell-through {2017.03.23}

[PS4] Deus Ex: Mankind Divided <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥7.800) - 20% Sales of western games are increasing, but that's not the case of this game...

[PS4] Farming Simulator 17 <SLG> (Intergrow) (¥6.800) - 40% low sales

[PS4] WRC 6: World Rally Championship <RCE> (Intergrow) (¥7.980) - 40% low sales

_____

Slow week for new releases

Wow! Three new releases for PS4 in one week! We should expect a big boost above the baseline for PS4 next week!

Branduil

Why do people think Monster Hunter would automatically be popular in the West if it was on PS4? Is it just because it'd have HD graphics?

zeromcd73

Why do people think Monster Hunter would automatically be popular in the West if it was on PS4? Is it just because it'd have HD graphics?
There is no guarantee but even Capcom themselves have noted not having it on home consoles has limited its potential in the west.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20004620.html
- Talks about Monster Hunter 4 G's sales are being lower in the West compared to Japan, but is explained that it is due to the fact that the handheld market is only 10% of the dedicated video game market compared to Japan where handhelds are popular, and that they are taking the proper procedures to make sure that Monster Hunter grows overseas

KtSlime

Has there been any recent word on when shovel knight will be released for switch. Surprised that it wasn't released at launch.

SalvaPot

I honestly don't think a Switch/PS4 will hurt either side, it would give options for consumers and different styles of gameplay.

It would probably sell similarly to how the 3DS and Wii U release worked for MH3U.

PS4 users will favor online play and can play with Remote play on the go (in theory, RP is a bad argument and poor replacement to actual portability, but, anyway...). Beefier performance and bigger instal base in the west.

Switch will have local and online play, true portability, better performance compared to the 3DS and that base should transition easily to the switch.

I don't think dividing the base is that big of a problem with a franchise this popular. It should easily have a sizable player base in both systems since both have pros and few cons.

Of course, exclusives help sell systems. It is on the interest of Nintendo or Sont to have such a huge exclusive in their hands. It makes sense to nurture it and keep it happy. IMO, Nintendo should aim to keep the main line all for them, specially if they aim for the Switch to be THE system to have, since sharing their biggest third party exclusive looks weak. The PS4 is strong enough to be able to steal potential Switch purchases, all things considered, if MH5 were to release on both. Not thaaat many, but quite a few.

z0m3le

Banned
MC 2017 Summary:

Switch Port Begging -> This better happen or the market deserves to crash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sony port beggers = T_T

Because Switch and PS4 are PC cross compatible, I honestly don't see a reason for 3rd parties to go exclusive on any title they are making. Now this is the Japanese market, and I do think that there is less success available for non-portable devices, especially for series that are already successful around their portable functionality. However, there is little risk in porting games designed for Switch to PS4 and the PS4 obviously has a much bigger market world wide (and because of Switch's age, also in Japan) so any game looking to expand their success to the West, should port to PS4 from Switch.

If Capcom exclusively launches monster hunter 5 on PS4, it will need to be a fairly big success story, especially in the West, if not, I'd expect a Switch port 6 months following and the next entry to have more thought behind the platforms it appears on. Not port begging here, that's just how I see the Japanese market right now. Unless the console market revives in Japan and PS4 starts selling twice what it normally does every week of course.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
All... Games... Must... Be... On... Switch...

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

I think cw_sasuke deserves a tag for that market crash comment. :p

Man MC threads might not be for me anymore if arguing that pushing for PS4/Switch multi platform development will benefit the whole dedicated console market.

Some really ridiculous responses here. MH port begging arguments showing their negative long-term affects on some members.

All... Games... Must... Be... On... Switch...

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

This is how it was when PS4 was newly released as well. I don't know what it is about new console releases that brings out the crazies. Reading threads about 3DS announcements have been insufferable because of the 'everything must be on Switch' posts.

Branduil

Probably because people in the west actually have PS4s and use them regularly. I think.

There is no guarantee but even Capcom themselves have noted not having it on home consoles has limited its potential in the west.
I mean, I agree it could be a success... Obviously a game that exists on a platform has a better chance for success than one that doesn't. I'm just wondering if there's any reason to think MH for PS4 would actually be some mega-hit in Western markets.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Man MC threads might not be for me anymore if arguing that pushing for PS4/Switch multi platform development will benefit the whole dedicated console market.

Some really ridiculous responses here. MH port begging arguments showing their negative long-term affects on some members.

It's not you specifically he's bagging on to note, but more what's been happening over the past six months.

duckroll

Has there been any recent word on when shovel knight will be released for switch. Surprised that it wasn't released at launch.

Maybe it didn't sell to expectations on 3DS/WiiU? Because Nintendo is the publisher in Japan and they've said jack shit about the Switch version since it was announced.

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/70ce2eff-0ad2-11e7-9aaf-063b7ac45a6d.html

There's a new update about Specter of Torment coming to the 3DS and WiiU versions on April 5th. No mention at all of the Switch release there either. So it sounds like Nintendo didn't renegotiate for publishing rights on Switch in Japan. Kinda sad.

Because the PS4 is selling incredibly well in the west and is moving lots of SW. It doesn't really matter what we think anyway. The point is what capcom thinks and they have hinted towards thinking the PS4 will help western sales. Hell they've basically just outright said it.

The same people who think releasing Monster Hunter on Nintendo Switch would have stopped the series' decline.

That's if you assume the sales of XX represent a decline of the series.

Well, it is technically the second game that hasn't really opened to great sales. I mean 1 million is amazing all things considered but not when compared to the series' peak. Monster Hunter spin-off, Stories, was also another game that failed to hit the expectations set by Capcom themselves. If this is not a decline, then I don't know what we can call it.

Jimrpg

I don't get how they are selling so many 3DS units. There seem to be no stock in the west, maybe that's why Japanese 3DS sales are so high cause that's where all the stock is?

It's literally impossible to find the regular n3DS.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It's not you specifically he's bagging on to note, but more what's been happening over the past six months.

Then again i got quoted twice with such weird responses, but when i asked about what Nintendo exclusive 3rdParty IPs besides of MH he was referring to there was no response.

Hell...we know why 3DS/PS4 multiplattforms didnt happen for the most time. There are like 0 WiiU exclusive titles that arent on PS4 or would have benefited from a PS4 version.

Switch/PS4 is the first time in a longtime that japanese devs could really consider multiplatform development for two relevant systems. But sure arguing for that means im a crazy Nintendo fan - these threads are in a bad state and people will snipe you down for everything.

Jacobson

I don't get how they are selling so many 3DS units. There seem to be no stock in the west, maybe that's why Japanese 3DS sales are so high cause that's where all the stock is?

It's literally impossible to find the regular n3DS.

that's because there weren't even many regular n3DS outside of Japan in the first place. we only got, what, 4? AC, Pokemon 20th, Black Friday White and Black. I forgot if there were others.

Branduil

Because the PS4 is selling incredibly well in the west and is moving lots of SW. It doesn't really matter what we think anyway. The point is what capcom thinks and they have hinted towards thinking the PS4 will help western sales. Hell they've basically just outright said it.
Well, they obviously haven't thought it would sell well enough to make up for the costs of developing an HD version. Now, with the only viable handheld still existing also being HD, that calculation obviously changes... It wouldn't cost much to port a game from the Switch to PS4, and Nintendo might not see much point in paying for exclusivity when they'll get all the Japanese sales by default.

Well, it is technically the second game that hasn't really opened to great sales. I mean 1 million is amazing all things considered but not when compared to the series' peak. Monster Hunter spin-off, Stories, was also another game that failed to hit the expectations set by Capcom themselves. If this is not a decline, then I don't know what we can call it.

I don't know how anyone could honestly consider Monster hunter stories underperformance as a sign of a main series decline.

mao2

I was just poking fun at your post. The idea that the market deserves to crash just because a game doesn't get released on the console of your choice is just plain ridiculous.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mean, I agree it could be a success... Obviously a game that exists on a platform has a better chance for success than one that doesn't. I'm just wondering if there's any reason to think MH for PS4 would actually be some mega-hit in Western markets.

I don't think anyone thinks it would make it a mega success.

Basically the flow of events here has been:

1.) Monster Hunter started out as a relatively successful console series in Japan.

2.) Monster Hunter exploded on handhelds in Japan.

3.) Capcom kept the console games going for a while, but eventually ditched them in favor of just focusing on handhelds.

4.) Capcom started having some overseas success, with Monster Hunter 4 doing over a million copies in the West.

5.) Capcom makes a statement to their investors that they're investigating releasing on home consoles to help capitalize on their growing Western success. They don't say they're dumping handhelds during this statement. They just say they're looking at releasing on consoles because they represent 90% of the Western dedicated device market, and thus they feel being handheld only is potentially holding their sales back. This statement lines up with the era when we're moving off the 3DS, meaning that any platform they target will require graphics that would be perfectly fine on a large television.

6.) Lots of people get very upset about this. Some think this means they're going PS4 only, because clearly Capcom wants to lose their domestic audience. Some think it's some kind of trick answer to dupe their investors, because haha, they really mean the Switch, which is a handheld *and* a console, instead of talking about the two consoles that have a combined 70+ million unit install base overseas. Others suggest that maybe they intend to release on both to target the two difference audiences they appeal to. This is combined with a lot of tension about why there haven't been tons of Japanese game announcements for the Switch when Japanese publishers had pretty limited support announced for the previous four (somewhat) relevant hardware devices released in the region until at least 9-12 months after launch, and up to 18+ months for some devices. Capcom is mostly, but far from 100% predictable, so this is the current boiling point of tension for the greater question of Switch support. We also see this with "What version of Dragon Quest XI is the Switch getting?", and whatever else is today's game that was announced for platforms that aren't the Switch. There's similarly a lot of tension over the wind down of the Vita. Today's game was God Eater 3, which didn't get any platforms announced, but is getting a series of pre-reveal anxiety about what platforms it will be on on both the Vita wind-down and Switch wind-up fronts.

When talking about a series declining the thing that matters is the release of the main game. The sales of MHS just tells us that MH aren't interested in a spin off like that. It's also not really a decline from anything, how have other similar MH spin offs sold?

MHXX has other reasons for selling badly. It's an expansion to a game which capcom said would never happen. It's also yet another MH release on a platform approaching the end of its life. IMO the fans are ready to move onto the next platform and are ready for a true sequel.

If and when MH5 underperformance than I will agree that the franchise is declining.

duckroll

Then again i got quoted twice with such weird responses, but when i asked about what Nintendo exclusive 3rdParty IPs besides of MH he was referring to there was no response.

Hell...we know why 3DS/PS4 multiplattforms didnt happen for the most time. There are like 0 WiiU exclusive titles that arent on PS4 or would have benefited from a PS4 version.

Switch/PS4 is the first time in a longtime that japanese devs could really consider multiplatform development for two relevant systems. But sure arguing for that means im a crazy Nintendo fan - these threads are in a bad state and people will snipe you down for everything.

I don't really think I need to explain how stupid it is to say that if God Eater, a series which at its peak didn't even sell 700k, and has since declined to sub 500k, doesn't go on Switch and PS4, the market deserves to crash.

I don't know how anyone could honestly consider Monster hunter stories underperformance as a sign of a main series decline.

I think it does show a decline in the overall brand power of the franchise, especially when we look at how easy it was for the first spinoff ages ago at the prime of the franchise lifespan to be very successful, even with less marketing drive behind it.

MH have been on a slow downward spiral in Japan for a while though. The peak of the series (portable 3rd) was ~7 years ago.

geordiemp

MC 2017 Summary:

Sony port beggers = T_T

Here is what I think from a make money perspective :

For Switch, being cart based, It makes sense to wait for a few months to do all your patches and then announce Switch version, its portable so many will double dip anyway.

I was just poking fun at your post. The idea that the market deserves to crash just because a game doesn't get released on the console of your choice is just plain ridiculous.

You're assuming that he was saying that because he wants the game on his platform of choice. I think he was more referring to how stupid a decision it would be to release the next MH in home consoles only. Saying the market deserves to crash is extreme but there is no need to insinuate he is a fanboy based on that post.

I honestly don't think a Switch/PS4 will hurt either side

People always throw this old saw out there - "how does it hurt you if more people can play it? Multiplatform games lead us to the industryconsumerchoice utopia, let's all hold hands and sing the Sonic Adventure 2 soundtrack!"

But I think a great many people on the internet are emotionally invested in their platform of choice to the degree that they experience psychosomatic trauma when stuff like that happens.

duckroll

You're assuming that he was saying that because he wants the game on his platform of choice. I think he was more referring to how stupid a decision it would be to release the next MH in home consoles only. Saying the market deserves to crash is extreme but there is no need to insinuate he is a fanboy based on that post.

He wasn't talking about MH roflmao.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't really think I need to explain how stupid it is to say that if God Eater, a series which at its peak didn't even sell 700k, and has since declined to sub 500k, doesn't go on Switch and PS4, the market deserves to crash.

That's kind of the other thing that made me surprised there was so much debate over the game. God Eater is actually a pretty irrelevant series for Bandai Namco in the grand scheme of things.

They're well on their way to becoming a $1+ billion a year in mobile revenue company, and will likely reach that within the next few years.

They release 40-50+ dedicated device games a year, several of which sell in the millions of units when we look at worldwide sales.

The main thing God Eater has going for it is that it's an original Bandai Namco property that isn't generated 100% by external developers. That's more of a vanity project bragging point though as opposed to anything meaningful for their business.

I'm sure they want it to succeed, but it's not at all comparable to Monster Hunter, which is like half of Capcom's income. They can really do anything they want with the release and not even notice the impact.

duckroll

I feel the main thing God Eater had going for it was that once upon a time it was a relatively successful hunting action game that wasn't MonHun, on a competing portable platform which didn't have MonHun. Take that factor away, along with Bamco desperately trying to make it a console thing with a full anime marketing campaign, and it goes straight into whogivesafuck land. :)

It would literally be more interesting to debate if Gundam Versus should be on the Switch, because I think the 2v2 multiplayer action game market for anime fans is one that is going to have a big void with the passing of the Vita, and while it's cool they're aiming for a global market with PS4 and online, a portable entry for local play is something Japan could really do with.

When talking about a series declining the thing that matters is the release of the main game. The sales of MHS just tells us that MH aren't interested in a spin off like that. It's also not really a decline from anything, how have other similar MH spin offs sold?

MHXX has other reasons for selling badly. It's an expansion to a game which capcom said would never happen. It's also yet another MH release on a platform approaching the end of its life. IMO the fans are ready to move onto the next platform and are ready for a true sequel.

If and when MH5 underperformance than I will agree that the franchise is declining.
Well we can take a look at a series like FF here. The spin-offs after XIII all declined in sales leading to a decline when XV was released.

Now I agree that talking about a mainline MH is different case here, but as duckroll stated, it shows the brand isn't as valuable as it was in the past, which hints that it is entirely possible that if a new mainline MH is released, it might decline from the past games. This is nothing unreasonable to expect here considering it happened with other series in the past including FF and Yokai Watch.

Monster Hunter 5 will also have to release in a completely new market with uncertainty of sales because we have no idea how Switch userbase will end up once MH is released there, and potentially on PS4 as well. 3DS was HUGE in Japan and so was the PSP, hence it was easier to maintain higher sales. Which won't be the case for a potential Switch/PS4 release.

I think a decline is inevitable in any case.

I got the impression that God Eater was one of Bamco's bigger franchises in Japan right now. It's very niche globally, but sub-500k for GE2RB still puts it above the last few Tales games. And I don't think they've had a million seller since the first Tamagotchi for DS.

BKK

They're already set up for PS4/PC multiplat, I doubt that they're too concerned about missing out on Switch sales until they see how well it does.

BriBri

Cube Creator 3D has been downloaded over 370,000 times on the Japanese 3DS eShop. Be interesting to see how DX performs at retail.

Well, I'm probably naive, but I still think that japanese devs should push for PS4/Switch multiplat to have an overall healthy domestic market. Considering those being 2 different markets does not make sense now that some ports can be more easily done (I'm obviously not talking about huge budgets like FFXV who would struggle to run on switch)

BKK

I got the impression that God Eater was one of Bamco's bigger franchises in Japan right now. It's very niche globally, but sub-500k for GE2RB still puts it above the last few Tales games. And I don't think they've had a million seller since the first Tamagotchi for DS.

It did ~143k on steam, if it did similar on PS4 then global sales aren't so niche.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Sure, but it's still a tiny part of their overall business.

If I make 40 widgets that sell 80-300K, and then a widget that sells 450K, and then five widgets that sell 2-5 million overseas, and have a new-age widget service that makes the equivalent of selling 1-2 million units every month, that 450K widget is still pretty irrelevant, even if it is my sixth best traditional widget product.

It's also in a widget market where 1-5 million selling widgets exist, usually several every year, including a very similar widget that comes out every year and does 2-4+ million unit sales, so it's not like it's even a very impactful widget in terms of defining the market.

I'm still not sure what could be an argument against a PS4 version of Monster Hunter.

I'm not sure there is any. A PS4 version makes sense. An exclusive PS4 MH5 though...

edit : I mean, the switch is tailored for what made the success of MH in Japan, local multiplayer. And this summer, Splatoon 2 will be there to show that. Monster Hunter not being on switch would be a negation of its core gameplay design.
Now, of course, why not adding a PS4 version for west? But I think people expecting it to set the world on fire because being on PS4 will be disappointed.

Top Bottom