• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2017 (Mar 13 - Mar 19)

Oregano

Honestly I'd be kind of surprised if we got a Switch announcement prior to E3 for things that aren't already announced.

Japan is sloooooooow with new platforms.

Easily the most risk averse publishers on earth.

Maybe by then publishers will actually be willing to show the Switch versions of games they actually have announced, assuming they even exist.*cough*DQXI*cough*

Just imagine all the people who will stop playing Monster Hunter if Capcom, who opened the can of going multiplatform for MH, releases it on the PS4 as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Regulars in MC threads ? I dont know about that...Monster Hunter is the only IP that comes in my mind and thats a special case.

Either way my main point is that they should embrace multiplatform development for their main systems....it worked for western publishers and they have been doing this since the PS2 era.
In general I expect a lot of Switch multiplatform development, but I just expect it to be slow going.

Like the general ramp up procedure for very risk averse companies is:

1.) Developers must get their technology working on the Switch, and improve the pipeline to the point where easy simultaneous releases are possible.

2.) Developers must feel there's s large enough audience (of their specific demographic) to be worth releasing to.

This takes a long time, especially when the console vendor isn't throwing money around like candy to get it done.

If we're sitting here this time next year looking at games for Fall 2018, I would expect Switch ports to be the norm.

Like even just look at Bandai Namco. They had not released a PC game in eight years, then made one super late port after huge demand. Then they made a few late ports of Western games. Then more and more late ports with a few simultaneous releases. Now, almost every game they make has a simultaneous PC release.

This is how Japanese companies operate.

Xbro

Just imagine all the people who will stop playing Monster Hunter if Capcom, who opened the can of going multiplatform for MH, releases it on the PS4 as well.

Capcom just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Monster Hunter for either system, nor will they purchase any of Capcom's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcom has alienated an entire market with this move.

Capcom, publicly apologize and cancel Monster Hunter for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Oregano

In general I expect a lot of Switch multiplatform development, but I just expect it to be slow going.

Like the general ramp up procedure for very risk averse companies is:

1.) Developers must get their technology working on the Switch, and improve the pipeline to the point where easy simultaneous releases are possible.

2.) Developers must feel there's s large enough audience (of their specific demographic) to be worth releasing to.

This takes a long time, especially when the console vendor isn't throwing money around like candy to get it done.

If we're sitting here this time next year looking at games for Fall 2018, I would expect Switch ports to be the norm.

Like even just look at Bandai Namco. They had not released a PC game in eight years, then made one super late port after huge demand. Then they made a few late ports of Western games. Then more and more late ports with a few simultaneous releases. Now, almost every game they make has a simultaneous PC release.

This is how Japanese companies operate.

I think the issue always had and always will be the bolded. You Bandai Namco example is perfect because they only went full blast on PC because Dark Souls(and later Tales) did really well.

I don't think third parties have the willingness to even try building an audience on Switch/x Nintendo platform.

Sandfox

I think the issue always had and always will be the bolded. You Bandai Namco example is perfect because they only went full blast on PC because Dark Souls(and later Tales) did really well.

I don't think third parties have the willingness to even try building an audience on Switch/x Nintendo platform.

I don't really agree with this. We may not be seeing games like FFXV, but we see games coming in an attempt to build an audience.

I don't think anyone disagrees. There's more chance of it being PS4 exclusive than Switch exclusive.
I think it's going to be multiplat, but this obviously isn't true.

The world wide performance of third titles is the deciding factor here.

With games getting more expensive to make even a Switch will dominate Japan scenario will not make it automatically the main platform for publishers.

Oregano

I don't really agree with this. We may not be seeing games like FFXV, but we see games coming in an attempt to build an audience.

I think it's going to be multiplat, but this obviously isn't true.

Not particularly. Switch so far has the lowest budget, lowest risk titles of any platform in the last decade. When Bomberman is your big third party game there's something wrong.

Even in the context of publishers releasing traditionally PS franchises on Switch(which is what we're discussing) there's only Disgaea. Everything is standard Nintendo fare.
The world wide performance of third titles is the deciding factor here.

With games getting more expensive to make even a Switch will dominate Japan scenario will not make it automatically the main platform for publishers.

I don't even think people expect/claim Switch should be the main platform, just one of them. It's not even getting that.

test_account

XP-39C²
Number of copies.
Ok, i see.

Assuming that they were both completely fine with that who would bother? What's the cross over successful games on both platforms that are online.
That is a good question. I would hope for Nintendo's sake that Switch at least gets some multiplatform games that have online play, and at least one version of Call of Duty.

Let's begin with easy mode : PC/Switch cross-play titles would be a good start.
Yeah, that is more likely at least.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Not particularly. Switch so far has the lowest budget, lowest risk titles of any platform in the last decade. When Bomberman is your big third party game there's something wrong.

Even in the context of publishers releasing traditionally PS franchises on Switch(which is what we're discussing) there's only Disgaea. Everything is standard Nintendo fare.

I don't even think people expect/claim Switch should be the main platform, just one of them. It's not even getting that.

Honestly though the majority of major Japan focused SE titles are on the switch those that aren't are likely a pain in the ass to port and SE doesn't feel like it'd be worthwhile or at the very least yet. They have brought some exclusives and appear to have a lot of confidence in the platform. Everyone else Nada though I guess Atlus could perhaps count.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

The problem with your line of argument from a strategic perspective is like, one high profile 3rd party announcement and your argument goes poof.

Takao

Banned
God Eater 3 being PS4 exclusive would be one of the most hilariously boneheaded decisions in recent Japanese gaming. Do Toukiden 2 one better.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Honestly though the majority of major Japan focused SE titles are on the switch those that aren't are likely a pain in the ass to port and SE doesn't feel like it'd be worthwhile or at the very least yet. They have brought some exclusives and appear to have a lot of confidence in the platform. Everyone else Nada though I guess Atlus could perhaps count.
Notably they announced their less demanding titles that were on Unity and Unreal. They also announced the game on the Koei Tecmo engine, which works on Switch because of Fire Emblem Musou.

Meanwhile, games on things like PhyreEngine (Dragon Quest Builders, Final Fantasy XII) are no where to be seen.

Oregano

Square Enix is the best by far but even then...

The problem with your line of argument from a strategic perspective is like, one high profile 3rd party announcement and your argument goes poof.

Well until that day comes...

Notably they announced their less demanding titles that were on Unity and Unreal, and also the game on the Koei Tecmo engine, which works on Switch because of Fire Emblem Heroes.

Meanwhile, games on things like PhyreEngine (Dragon Quest Builders, Final Fantasy XII) are no where to be seen.

The other (far off) example is also likely built on Silicon Studio's middleware.

jeremy1456

I don't think anyone disagrees. There's more chance of it being PS4 exclusive than Switch exclusive.

I'm sure Capcom agrees with you. Obviously they want to sell 500k copies first week in Japan and maybe slowly crawl to a million lifetime sales. Then send it out to die in the West with no advertising.

I mean Capcom has done some crazy things before, but not on that level.

It would never be PS4 exclusive. Like, you're a crazy person for even letting that pass through your mind.

Sandfox

That doesn't really go against what I said about third parties trying to build an audience. If you look at the actual games coming you would see them attempting to do so even if the games aren't high budget or "risky".

Oregano

I'm sure Capcom agrees with you. Obviously they want to sell 500k copies first week in Japan and maybe slowly crawl to a million lifetime sales. Then send it out to die in the West with no advertising.

I mean Capcom has done some crazy things before, but not on that level.

It would never be PS4 exclusive. Like, you're a crazy person for even letting that pass through your mind.

They'd almost certainly get Sony to match(or exceed) whatever co-marketting deals they have with Nintendo.

That doesn't really go against what I said about third parties trying to build an audience. If you look at the actual games coming you would see them attempting to do so even if the games aren't high budget or "risky".

I don't think the act of releasing games really counts as building an audience in a meaningful way. Especially when it's shit like Seiken Densetsu and Ultra Street Fighter 2.

jeremy1456

They'd almost certainly get Sony to match(or exceed) whatever co-marketting deals they have with Nintendo.

There's no precedent for that. You're talking out of your butt.

Wait, actually there may be. Didn't Sony help advertise Street Fighter V? How did that work out for Capcom? Lol.

LordKano

I suggest to make every japanese game a PS4 exclusive, since Sony has infinite pockets for marketing and every games sells wonderfully on PS4, it can only be great, right ?

There's no precedent for that. You're talking out of your butt.

Wait, actually there may be. Didn't Sony help advertise Street Fighter V? How did that work out for Capcom? Lol.

Let's not falsey attribute stuff. The marketing for SFV was way better than the terrible end product. That was all on Capcom.

The initial PSX reveal for SFV is still hype as fuck.

I don't think the act of releasing games really counts as building an audience in a meaningful way. Especially when it's shit like Seiken Densetsu and Ultra Street Fighter 2.

Making Monster Hunter exclusive on PS4 would be a death sentence to the franchise. Especially if we look at the fact that Monster Hunter lives on portabilty.

We've already seen most of Capcom's franchises on a decline and if Monster Hunter their strongest franchise declines then they are screwed.

jeremy1456

You're saying there's incentive to fractionalize sales in the biggest market for the game to trade in a pre-existing marketing deal in the West for another?

Do you understand how that sounds? I mean, just try to say that out loud.

Oregano

Making Monster Hunter exclusive on PS4 would be a death sentence to the franchise. Especially if we look at the fact that Monster Hunter lives on portabilty.

We've already seen most of Capcom's franchises on a decline and if Monster Hunter their strongest franchise declines then they are screwed.

Well looking at MHXX that ship has already sailed.

You're saying there's incentive to fractionalize sales in the biggest market for the game to trade in a pre-existing marketing deal in the West for another?

Do you understand how that sounds? I mean, just try to say that out loud.

They would assume a massive increase in western sales, rightly or wrongly.

Assuming a massive increase in sales in the West is foolish especially when Monster Hunter thrives on portababilty.

Well you know what maybe Capcom are foolish to believe that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
TBF though think about it. How exactly do you expect Sony to advertise it in the west? The Psp MH games didn't sell particularly well and the game has been Nintendo exclusive for an entire gen. Despite having a similar combat system to Dark souls etc it doesn't have remotely the same kind of tone likely won't have the budget and appearance of something like Horizon and you'd be hardpressed to point out an indicator that it's audience is even in the west on PS4 in large enough amounts.

Not only would they have to completely redesign to game chase after the nebulous PS4 audience which may not even exist in any large amounts they kill off the portable audience in Japan.

Difficult to justify doesn't even begin to describe it. That's not to say Capcom won't do it but it doesn't make a single lick of sense.

Sandfox

I knew the MHXX comment was coming lol.

Because I was obviously referring to those games and not the original/bigger stuff. Also, you build up an audience by releasing content that appeals to them and that's what these games would do. Where do you think the niche japanese game and VN audience on the Vita came from?

I think I'm done talking about this subject.

Okay now. Like I am still in the camp that they are actually gonna do MH5 on PS4 but you can't.seriously think XX is indicative.of thenhealth of the franchise right? This is the 5th MH game on the 3DS. It's been milked for a lot of MH.

XX is probably more a combination of platform fatigue and expansion annoyance tham the brand actually in serious decline.

MHXX on 3DS WILL sell more than any mainline MH will ever sell on PS4 (maybe even adding worldwide), I think that's safe to say.

FF15 has yet to even cross 1 million, and that's like one of THE top tier console IPs in Japan.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Lol... MHXX is an expanded version of a spinoff, which they promised not to have an expansion of, and is the fifth Monster Hunter title on 3DS. It still sold 1M units in its first week. It's definitely a decline for this particular title, but if it wasn't for their crappy prediction I wouldn't even say it is that worrying. I do think it signals it's probably high-time to start on a Monster Hunter 5 if they haven't already.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, thanks to Nintendo co-marketing, they managed to have the series best US launch in MH4U at over 270K iirc (3+ times their previous best launch if I'm not mistaken), which released alongside the new 3DS. MH Generations did somewhat worse, but still decent (like 170K US 1st month?) considering it was a spinoff and not many western fans would have much attachment to the older games it references. If you're going to choose a next platform, simply jumping straight to PS4 exclusive would be a horrible idea, especially when the franchise counts on portability for its sales.

It needs to stay on something portable, and the best options would be 3DS or Switch in that case, since they've ignored the Vita up until this point (and it's slowly fading away) and have been doing well on 3DS. Adding a PS4 or PC SKU is fine, but the primary platform better remain the portable (probably 3DS still tbh) in order to not suffer like Toukiden 2.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Lol... MHXX is an expanded version of a spinoff, which they promised not to have an expansion of, and is the fifth Monster Hunter title on 3DS. It still sold 1M units in its first week. It's definitely a decline for this particular title, but if it wasn't for their crappy prediction I wouldn't even say it is that worrying. I do think it signals it's probably high-time to start on a Monster Hunter 5 if they haven't already.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, thanks to Nintendo co-marketing, they managed to have the series best US launch in MH4U at over 270K iirc (3+ times their previous best launch if I'm not mistaken), which released alongside the new 3DS. MH Generations did somewhat worse, but still decent (like 170K US 1st month?) considering it was a spinoff and not many western fans would have much attachment to the older games it references. If you're going to choose a next platform, simply jumping straight to PS4 exclusive would be a horrible idea, especially when the franchise counts on portability for its sales.

It needs to stay on something portable, and the best options would be 3DS or Switch in that case, since they've ignored the Vita up until this point (and it's slowly fading away) and have been doing well on 3DS. Adding a PS4 or PC SKU is fine, but the primary platform better remain the portable (probably 3DS still tbh) in order to not suffer like Toukiden 2.
MH ships about a mill to the west these days. it's a large reason multiple entries have managed to reach a total 4.1 million shipped consistently.

Vena

Let's not falsey attribute stuff. The marketing for SFV was way better than the terrible end product. That was all on Capcom.

The initial PSX reveal for SFV is still hype as fuck.

A reveal isn't sustained and important marketing, its forum fodder for fans to gush over. It is quickly forgotten and has little impact on the end result unless you sustain your marketing. A good example of this is Splatoon which fed off of its own initially positive/hype reveal and ran with it. There's been a lot of this "hype reveal" *insert months to years later* "oh there it is/is not" this gen. Everyone's been guilty of it, Zelda got delayed for years, Shenmue 3 fell off the face of the earth, Scalebound got canned, FFVII isn't coming out until we're all dead, etc...

SFV had like no sustained or even remotely beneficial marketing, with almost all of its exposure being "FGCFGCFGCFGCFGC" and the Capcom Cup, which alienated a lot of people. The subsequent tirefire just burned what little of the boat remained above water.

I would not use SFV or the deal surrounding it as anything positive. It was a product rushed to market, seemingly by Sony's involvement since Capcom wasn't running to make it if Ono is to be believed, with very poor marketing, and a 50-car pile up of a release that then got nuked when they added a rootkit. It was a total disaster.

I'd sooner leverage REVII for your point but considering that I don't even know/think that has hit expectations (or at least we haven't heard a peep on it since the initial figures), I don't even know if that's a good example of Capcom knowing what its doing or its partnerships working for it.

And, lest we all forget... since the world seems to have, DR4 also occurred somewhere. And that may as well have been a fart in a hurricane.

KtSlime

Okay now. Like I am still in the camp that they are actually gonna do MH5 on PS4 but you can't.seriously think XX is indicative.of thenhealth of the franchise right? This is the 5th MH game on the 3DS. It's been milked for a lot of MH.

XX is probably more a combination of platform fatigue and expansion annoyance tham the brand actually in serious decline.

Lets not forget no matter how poorly MHXX does, it will have (actually already has) outsold anything on PS4. Cap does make some boneheaded decisions, but they'd have to be suicidal to buy what Oregano is selling.

Top Bottom