• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2011 (Mar 21 - Mar 27)

Chris1964 said:
Today? That's Nintendo's program:

Mar. 31, 2011 - Record Date for Year-End Dividends for the 71st Fiscal Year

Apr. 25, 2011 - Fiscal Year Earnings Release[Scheduled]

Hm. Anoop mentioned it in another thread - press briefing today that he wasn't invited to, IIRC.

You are a little of for GameCube but not by much.

*Znort*

;-)

farnham

Banned
Chris1964 said:
You are a little of for GameCube but not by much.

Holy cow. my memories must have been distorted by my GC love. lol

or wii and ds just rose the expectation of nintendo hardware sales

Gunsmithx

gofreak said:
I wondered if they might do that, although I also wondered about the logistics of doing that at relatively short notice. Perhaps it is possible.

How long before shipping are they in the packaging? I figure they aren't going to take them out and put them in US packaging so that would probably be a roadblock.

Turrican3

Were there 3DS forecasts split into single region values? I can only see a worldwide 4 millions unit on their most recent financial report.

wsippel

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Hopefully it's the lack of software that's holding the 3DS back.

Come on Nintendo, release some krakens!
I think that's it. Nintendo probably overestimated Nintendogs.

gerg said:
How is the 3DS comparing to the PS2, at the moment?

I don't think that matter as much PS2 had supply issue for a good while if i remember right .
3DS seem not to have that problem , it just has no killer games and the price is high.

gerg

Canova said:
All Sony has to do is to release NGP with some kinda Monster Hunter game this fall

Provided, of course, that there isn't a 3DS Monster Hunter.

gundamkyoukai said:
I don't think that matter as much PS2 had supply issue for a good while if i remember right .
3DS seem not to have that problem , it just has killer games and the price is high.

I'm not sure you mean "killer".

Canova said:
lol 3DS

All Sony has to do is to release NGP with some kinda Monster Hunter game this fall

Well, Sony had better get on with developing that Monster Hunter game then, hadn't they?

gerg said:
I'm not sure you mean "killer".

The sentence works if you pop in the word "no", which I'm sure was intended to be in there.

EDIT:

I hope this won't be taken in bad taste, as it certainly isn't intended in that way:

ISTR certain products being positioned as "patriotic" or supportive in times of crisis in other countries at certain times, through marketing changes, reduced price etc. Just wondering what SalesAgers would think the reaction would be if either Sony or Nintendo did that kind of positioning with their hardware - say, temporary price drops, or donating ¥1000 of each purchase to relief and rebuilding? Just something that occurred to me after seeing several games companies donating, game sales with proceeds going toward relief etc.

ZoddGutts

Aren't they already working on a upgrade port of the latest Monster Hunter game for the NGP, that uses the NGP's dual sticks?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ZoddGutts said:
Aren't they already working on a upgrade port of the latest Monster Hunter game for the NGP that uses the NGP's dual sticks?
Kinda.

The PSP emulator on the PSP2 just happens to support adding in analog stick control to the game with a few programming changes.

This isn't so much an enhanced port as it is backwards compatibility with an extra feature, as far as I can tell.

ZoddGutts said:
Aren't they already working on a upgrade port of the latest Monster Hunter game for the NGP, that uses the NGP's dual sticks?
No, it's the PSN release and it's just NGP compatible. It does up the resolution and remap camera control to the 2nd analog though.

1-D_FTW

Gunsmithx said:
How long before shipping are they in the packaging? I figure they aren't going to take them out and put them in US packaging so that would probably be a roadblock.

And how long does it take for shipping? I would assume they're just shipping by boat. I find it hard to believe any actions taken post-earthquake would have affected the supply numbers of the US launch.

It would clearly help post launch supplies, but the US isn't in need of massive resupplies either.

What's really sad about this is psp sales are still-semi supply constrained.

Not that it matters, there is nothing you can really conclude about the 3ds until Nintendo puts out the big guns.

lunchwithyuzo said:
No, it's the PSN release and it's just NGP compatible. It does up the resolution and remap camera control to the 2nd analog though.

No more claw!

They should also release MHP3 for NGP on a flash card for retail.

Meier

Fortunately for them the system is doing quite well in the US to help balance things out. They've gotta get some compelling software out quickly.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime 3 a big gun? It has well... Dragon Quest in the name.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

Not that it matters, there is nothing you can really conclude about the 3ds until Nintendo puts out the big guns.

On that note, do we know when Mario Kart 3DS or NSMB3DS is coming? Those two are the system sellers that will save it but we don't have much info about either right now.

Acosta

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

WAIT FOR!

It begins!

Ratrat

zomgbbqftw said:
No more claw!

They should also release MHP3 for NGP on a flash card for retail.
They'll probably release MHP3 G before that. And these games are worthless once the latest installment releases.

Well clearly the 3DS isn't exactly lighting up the charts as many sales-agers had hoped prior to its release.

Nice to see the PSP going strong though. It has had such a weird lifespan.

I guess the fairest conclusion to make about 3DS at this point (in all territories) is that this is what happens when you release a fairly expensive product outside the holiday season, without any killer-app software. It'll probably be selling fine by the holidays, though if OoT 3D doesn't significantly boost hardware sales, I'd start to worry.

Ratrat said:
They'll probably release MHP3 G before that. And these games are worthless once the latest installment releases.

Really? I figured they would wait until 2012 for the G release, they wouldn't want franchise fatigue to set in.

Deku

Banned
PSP is definately on its 2nd wind in Japan with all the budget releases.

Though I think the earthquake is going to really have a negative impact in Japan, so it will hurt the 3DS disproportionately as it is out now.

farnham

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Is Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime 3 a big gun? It has well... Dragon Quest in the name.
no rocket slime games havent crossed the 100k mark as far as i can remember

im sure the first one was at 50k

Moofers

Does anyone know where to find out how many copies of a game were pressed? I'm not sure if that's even the kind of information publishers would ever volunteer, but it'd be very cool to find out how many copies didn't get sold.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
farnham said:

I dont know the numbers off hand - but this cant be true. It should have sold 200-300K.

RurouniZel said:
3DS isn't looking so hot. :-/
50K in march with no must haves to be released is pretty decent.

But i think Nintendo underestimated the power off the PSP and its lineup. DS costs lik 1000 Yen more and lacks compelling software.

Deku

Banned
Father_Brain said:
I guess the fairest conclusion to make about 3DS at this point (in all territories) is that this is what happens when you release a fairly expensive product outside the holiday season, without any killer-app software. It'll probably be selling fine by the holidays, though if OoT 3D doesn't significantly boost hardware sales, I'd start to worry.

You also forgot to mention the 4 million shipment which is plentiful even by holiday launch stands.

That said, I think GAF analysts expect every launch to be a holiday launch and then chicken little it when things don't go as they 'expect'. Usually based on numbers out their ass.

Though I don't claim to predict anything, even if in the off chanee there is no launch of a major software title in the next 9 months, you will still see massive sales on the holidays on its gimmick, and built in software alone.

Ratrat said:
Whats out for 3DS in April?
Not much...

04/01 The Sims 3
04/07 Cubic Ninja
04/07 Spatial Search Mental Development 3D Training
04/14 Pilotwings Resort
04/14 Pro Baseball Spirits 2011
04/28 Deca Sporta 3D Sports

...One Piece getting delayed really hurt.

Cosmonaut X said:
The sentence works if you pop in the word "no", which I'm sure was intended to be in there

Yep edit late.

If i was Sony i would pay Capcom a huge amount of money to get a MH game in the first 6 months for NGP.
Fuck cancel 1 of your first party games for the cash .

m.i.s.

Banned
Ouch! I had a nagging feeling all was not as it seemed with 3DS.

It's the Gaf midas touch in reverse again. :eek:)

Gaf told me Kinect would bomb and the reverse happened. That Wii would bomb and it shattered sales records virtually everywhere. That PSP would trounce DS and again, the reverse happened. :eek:)

But more seriously, NoA price it at the most reasonable level and all signs there point to an unqualified success.

Who'd have thought that eh NCL, NoE?

Meier

farnham said:

Supposed total sales for the first two:

Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 346,299
Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 2 293,970

Deku said:
Though I think the earthquake is going to really have a negative impact in Japan, so it will hurt the 3DS disproportionately as it is out now.

Of course! especially if you look at the phase 1 strategy of the 3ds marketing scheme - viral spread, something to show off to your friends.

The earthquake essentially put a complete stop to that.

farnham said:

You need to stop going off memory, lol.

Slime Morimori - 346,299
Slime Morimori 2 - 293,970

gerg

farnham, to say this in the nicest possible way, I think you should stop using your memory.

Edit: I really don't think there's much comparison for the 3DS' sales, is there? Is selling 50k units this close to release particularly disastrous for Nintendo? Will their ability to build up a sizeable userbase (of, say, two to three million units) before the NGP launch in Japan be thwarted because of these numbers?

Deku

Banned
gerg said:
farnham, to say this in the nicest possible way, I think you should stop using your memory.

Edit: I really don't think there's much comparison for the 3DS' sales, is there? Is selling 50k units this close to release particularly disastrous for Nintendo? Will their ability to build up a sizeable userbase (of, say, two to three million units) before the NGP launch in Japan be thwarted because of these numbers?

Well, you are comparing post launch afterglow sales with no major releases, to the PSP which had a major release this week. It averages 20-25k with no big releases.

Even if there was a release, it would be difficult to tell as the launch was fairly strong.

We won't know what it 'settles' into for another month or so of tracking. Ironically during 'easter'.

I wouldn't imagine Nintendo would be too worried as there will be software to drive hardware bumps. And Golden Week is in May.

I also expect a minor bump in 2-3 months when the post Earthquake mini recovery begins and people stop freaking out and start spending again.

Top Bottom