• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

MrT-Tar

LM2 did well. I hope it has legs and puts to rest the whole 'Japan is xenophobia and doesn't buy Western games talk'.

On a related note, I imagine the best selling recent Western game in Japan was DKCR. How much did that sell, 1m?

orioto

Good Art™
I'd say the Wii U rise can probably be attributed to whatever holiday this was.

The Vita rise, I'd attribute to both a combination of this holiday and the various releases as well.

I still think the Vita is too far-gone to see a substantial turn-around after this respite; but if it does somehow end up sustaining ~20K numbers it begs the question:

Can a system be viable with just a series of smaller scale releases and no mega-releases?

Some of the cross Vita-PS3 releases announced are.. well, pretty big for a handled at least. The only problem is that they are also on PS3, but japan likes its portability. If the Vita had a significant park, those Bandai games would probably sell more on Vita than PS3.

What i mean is, by that way of thinking, the one piece game is a pretty big release for japan, and not on 3ds. Those are not Monster Hunter or DQ for sure but still enough to make a console exist healthy i guess.

Celestial

Banned
Question, so the Vita got tore apart for the Tales remake opening to 50k in Japan, and people were saying the series is done on the Vita, however, Castlevanie MoF does around 10k and is an original entry, but will the same hyperbole apply?

I am not saying either should have sold more than they did, both seemed destined to poor sales, but I thought it was a funny observation. Really I hope a return to SOTN style Castlevania is in order and all platforms could enjoy it.

I think it was a mistake to put Tales Of Hearts R with Soul Sacrifice the same day.SS got all the attention etc.

Vita will see at least one more remake of Tales probably Tempest R.It was hinted in Innocence R along with Hearts R.

Foshy

Nice joke !

No, really! Talking about first week of course.

11./00. [360] Gears of War: Judgment # <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2013.03.21} (¥7.140) - 22.425 / NEW

07./00. [PS3] God of War: Ascension # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.14} (¥5.980) - 19.844 / NEW

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I am more confident that when the next Vita drought soon hits it will still be able to pull much better weekly numbers (15+k) than what it did before. While certainly not great numbers it should provide additional boost to new Vita projects especially PS3+PSV since they seem to be doing quite well and more niche titles too.

I don't think Vita is going away in a long time. Now to see if Sonys ''indie push'' does anything in the west but it needs a pricecut over here asap.

You could be right, but I still think Vita needs some more big time exclusives to really permanently alter the landscape. I don't think PS3 and PSP ports will really expand the username.

LM2 did well. I hope it has legs and puts to rest the whole 'Japan is xenophobia and doesn't buy Western games talk'.

On a related note, I imagine the best selling recent Western game in Japan was DKCR. How much did that sell, 1m?

It crawled over the million, IIRC.

Next week will be interesting to see if Luigi has platform Mario legs. Might drag itself over the million if it does.

serplux

23./19. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) - 8.833 / 1.986.358 (+37%)

29./25. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 5.051 / 1.995.299 (+20%)

The race is so damn close.

big youth

Better than expected week for Vita, but it looks like Soul Sacrifice is following the typical sales pattern of a ~250k seller. I'm sure Sony was hoping for something much greater.

wrowa

Question, so the Vita got tore apart for the Tales remake opening to 50k in Japan, and people were saying the series is done on the Vita, however, Castlevanie MoF does around 10k and is an original entry, but will the same hyperbole apply?

I am not saying either should have sold more than they did, both seemed destined to poor sales, but I thought it was a funny observation. Really I hope a return to SOTN style Castlevania is in order and all platforms could enjoy it.

That's a different situation altogether. The Tales series usually has first week sales of at the very least 100k, while all of the handheld Castlevanias of the last decade opened between 10k and 20k. MoF pretty much falls in line with that. Castlevania mainly sells in the west.

However, it's unlikely that there's going to be a sequel to it. 1) Mercurysteam already said that they don't want to make new Castlevania games and 2) it's unlikely that MoF is selling as good as the DS games in the US and Europe.

Edit: I see that Castlevania is not a big seller on handhelds in Japan, but still there are people on this forum that like to believe the 3DS equates to automatic sales when it certainly is not true. My point is that the Tales remake just like Castlevania wouldn't have done very well on 3DS either.

That's a point that can't be proven either way.

Spiegel

Vita is now cheaper than a PS3, so multiplatform releases can be a good strategy.

Hardware will go down significantly these next few months but it shows that it's not all lost in Japan if they can score some exclusive content to add to these multi releases.

daveo42

Banned
Is the Vita going to stabilize around the 40-50k mark? It's good to see the system selling okay, just hope it holds out instead of dropping back down.

23./19. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) - 8.833 / 1.986.358 (+37%)

29./25. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 5.051 / 1.995.299 (+20%)

Unless NSMB2 has a blue shell, its lost.

The vita didn't hold. It rose by 5k which is significant.

Seems like Vita is back! Sony is doing something right and Nintendo obviously doesn't know what it is, otherwise Wii U would be doing better.

41K for this particular week is not necessarily indicative of a healthy system.

Is the Vita going to stabilize around the 40-50k mark? It's good to see the system selling okay, just hope it holds out instead of dropping back down.

The next couple of months don't look good for stabilization, and none of the Vita games have held very well on the charts, so it's not looking good.

The Vita and Wii U are basically fucked for a good long while.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

No. I don't see any system in Japan outside the 3DS being able to maintain that.

marrec

Banned
I don't see anything significant about this. You are trying to make some sort of relation when there isn't one.

Not sure of the point your trying to make here?

Just commenting on the fact that events have turned out to be more interesting than previously recorded sales trends would have indicated.

Hence the term, interesting turn of events. No deeper meaning needed.

Celestial

Banned
Look at who it is and ignore it. :lol

I dont understand this attitude.Did he/she said something wrong?Obviously Vita is selling good after the price cut and Sony seems to putting a little effort there.Nintendo from the other hand does everything it is possible to make WiiU a new Gamecube and untill now the plan is going more than great.

NotLiquid

Doubtful. It's a good week but Vita's rise seems rather circumstantial at this point. One Piece was the only big game for it this week but it didn't sell that great compared to Soul Sacrifice's launch or other big Vita launches.

I wouldn't pin Vita's rise on holiday exclusively, that'd be silly. But it's a bit of an anomaly.

Luigi almost hit 300,000. Whats with all the Sony system's getting the same game?

It's called smart business strategy and something Nintendo should follow.

Why isn't Luigi's Mansion 2 not on Wii U also? Seems like a stupid business strategy not make your own games multiplatform across your own systems.

Nekki

Why isn't Luigi's Mansion 2 not on Wii U also? Seems like a stupid business strategy not make your own games multiplatform across your own systems.

It's smart because it fills up a lineup with barely any games.

Fair play to the Vita, it has performed far better than most expected so far. Really pleased to see a rise this week.

There you are :).

Well at least I can expect some more kawaii uguu games on my Vita in the future >_>

It's smart because it fills up a lineup with barely any games.

Yeah. It would be pretty stupid for Nintendo not to do the same if they had a lineup with barely any games but luckily this isn't the case.

redcrayon

Vita doing well to stick at those numbers. I wonder if it will still be over 10k a month from now, but still, it's good to see it putting up a fight for several weeks on the trot. Games get released. People buy the console. Who knew? Maybe Nintendo could take notes for the WiiU strategy meeting! :)

Luigi's mansion sold a bit less than I thought it would, but still a solid release- good word of mouth might drag it over a million eventually. And what on earth happened to Castlevania? How many days of sales was that?

You know people, kids don't get money gifts for every damn day off in Japan! Vita rose cause it had software releases. Next week will be telling of where it's going without them for a while, but there's no way it's going back to 10k.

The price is still dropped,and the library much improved over the last month. The resulting general perception will be much better overall than a month ago for prospective buyers.

Vita hold is pretty amazing this week. How much longer can it keep this up? OPM2 sold below my expectations substantially, but it should be able to clear the 500k shipment. The Vita/PS3 ratio is pretty healthy though. Seems worthwhile enough to release stuff in this format at least, for easy money. LM2 seems to be doing quite well. Solid sellthrough, and should have pretty good legs as long as the game isn't shit.

Yeah about 1/5th of ps3 numbers for both vita versions of the multiplats this week seems decent enough.

DaBoss

I dont understand this attitude.Did he/she said something wrong?Obviously Vita is selling good after the price cut and Sony seems to putting a little effort there.Nintendo from the other hand does everything it is possible to make WiiU a new Gamecube and untill now the plan is going more than great.

He is jumping the gun. I was also referring to his previous statements in previous threads. Said some funny stuff.

Also, how is Sony putting little effort there? They just had a price-cut along with a bunch of releases. This is pretty much Sony's re-launch of the Vita. But the bigger question is...how is Nintendo even putting ANY effort towards the Wii U? 3DS is where their efforts are going.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Wut.

41K for this particular week is not necessarily indicative of a healthy system.

Well that didn't take long did it? What would have been healthy then? Outsell the 3DS, on the week Luigi's Mansion 2 launches? The fact the Vita rose to 41k despite that and new colors for the 3DS is by all means the definition of healthy for this particular week.

I know you guys have to spin any positive Vita news as negative, but come on already. It is okay for another platform to enjoy some success. In fact if you love the 3DS so much you should want the Vita to succeed. Competition can only mean good things.

Kenka

11./00. [360] Gears of War: Judgment # <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2013.03.21} (¥7.140) - 22.425 / NEW

07./00. [PS3] God of War: Ascension # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.14} (¥5.980) - 19.844 / NEW
OK, you got me.

If MK7 doesn't make it to the 2M bar next week, the race will end with a tie. A testimony to how equally liked the two franchises are.

Dat American ex-pat community.

yon61

The Vita hardware sales respond to the software sales. Look at how many Vita games there are, it's really no surprise. Once the software drought returns, the Vita will once again be struggling.

DaBoss

Well that didn't take long did it? What would have been healthy then? Outsell the 3DS, on the week Luigi's Mansion 2 launches? The fact the Vita rose to 41k despite that and new colors for the 3DS is by all means the definition of healthy for this particular week.

I know you guys have to spin any positive Vita news as negative, but come on already. It is okay for another platform to enjoy some success. In fact if you love the 3DS so much you should want the Vita to succeed. Competition can only mean good things.

She didn't say it wasn't good for this week.
She is saying:
1 week good sales =/= a healthy system.

Top Bottom