• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

Not only that but a recession in Europe, high adoption and strength of smart devices and above all a vastly reduced output of titles on consoles. Things are looking really bad for the Wii U at the moment but I think the other two manufacturers (MS & Sony) may also face difficulties.

Recession have smaller effect on electronic entertainment - people who can't afford holidays will look into games or cinema as replacement.

If you can't afford holidays for your children you can at least buy them a new console as compensation.

AZ Greg

this is all too familiar. remember the PS3 launch when many actually thought Sony should drop the console and quickly release another? it's just as dumb of a suggestion for Wii U.

PS3 was never doing this bad. PS3 never lost third-party support. PS3 didn't have to worry about competition being right around the corner that would make its graphics look dated.

big youth

PS3 was never doing this bad. PS3 never lost third-party support. PS3 didn't have to worry about competition being right around the corner that would make its graphics look dated.

It was selling worse, had a weaker library, and Wii was all the rage. The alarmist discussion went beyond boards like this, with numerous journalists writing articles about how they need to quickly release a cheap Wii-like console. embarrassing stuff to be sure, and people are doing it all over again.

The problem is paying off third parties isn't enough. Not only would they have to essentially pay for everything - i.e. if the PS4 has Destiny, GTAV, Yakuza and Basara; I really don't see what "just" having Basara would do for example - it would essentially need to make it exclusive.

Because everything about the other platforms is geared more towards the traditional gaming segment. The branding, marketing and positioning of the system, the games they make themselves for the system, the networked services and online personas they've refined, they are all aimed at cultivating the traditional gaming market, 15-35 males. Given the option that market - the traditional bread and butter of the industry - would probably still veer towards MS and Sony's platforms.

Microsoft has branched out with Kinect, but they still have every intent to own the traditional segment as well one can be sure.
I dunno..I'm pretty damn pessimistic about the Wii U right now, and I absolutely think the thing is dead as a viable platform in the West for 3rd parties, but this talk still sounds really premature to me given the relatively recent history of consoles making pretty impressive turnarounds.

If Nintendo's big plan, which I assume is Mario Kart+3D Mario+ price drop fails to do much then ok, but talking of killing the Wii before then sounds very unrealistic.
If their big plan is really what you assume it is then I don't see anything premature about declaring it stillborn. Unless one still expects the Upad to be the Wiimote.
this is all too familiar. remember the PS3 launch when many actually thought Sony should drop the console and quickly release another? it's just as dumb of a suggestion for Wii U.
Except it's not analogous. As many people have said before. For numerous reasons. And it's not analogous to the 3DS either.

Takao

Banned
It was selling worse, had a weaker library, and Wii was all the rage. The alarmist discussion went beyond boards like this, with numerous journalists writing articles about how they need to quickly release a cheap Wii-like console. embarrassing stuff to be sure, and people are doing it all over again.

Really?

Media Create Sales 3/19 - 3/25 2007
PS3 - 20,459

Media Create Sales 3/18 - 3/24 2013
Wii U - 11,398

NPD February 2007
PS3 - 127k

NPD February 2013
Wii U - 66k

That's at $499/$599, and a lineup you'd call "weaker". Wii U's not competing with PS3 in sales. It's competing with Dreamcast, Gamecube, and PSVita. You know, that handheld you've repeatedly said will be discontinued by next year?

big youth

....yes it is. in all 3 scenarios people are declaring a platform dead just a few months in, before the company has played any of their cards. I apologize for lacking the patience to even begin listing the reasons why even entertaining the idea is incredibly naive. Wii U will be around for 5+ years. sorry if reality is boring to you.

Takao I was referring to LTD sales, and I also had worldwide sales in mind. Wii U is tracking far above PS3.

....yes it is. in all 3 scenarios people are declaring a platform dead just a few months in, before the company has played any of their cards. I apologize for lacking the patience to even begin listing the reasons why even entertaining the idea is incredibly naive. Wii U will be around for 5+ years. sorry if reality is boring to you.

Takao I was referring to LTD sales, and I also had worldwide sales in mind. Wii U is tracking far above PS3.

I really admire your optimism, big youth. Even a number of the other diehards have conceded their previous positions in the other recent MediaCreate threads, especially when faced with the figures.

I'll wait until they start 'playing' their cards. Whenever that may be. It's not exactly safe to prognosticate with a 100% surety, especially when it comes to Nintendo. They've been known to rise from the 'dead'. If I were a betting man, I wouldn't count them out until all the 'heavy hitters' come out.

ps3 still got third party support from day one,so no the situation was very different

Takao

Banned

Global numbers in a Japanese sales thread? I figured you'd do that, which is why I posted those NPD numbers, which represent North America. There are no publicly released regular hardware sales in Europe, so I can't call you out there. The truth of the matter is, as of right now, Wii U is indeed selling worse than the PS3 did in 2007. Wii U got off to a much better start, which is why its' LTD is higher than the PS3's, but completely cratered shortly after.

Only at launch, sales in the past months nosedived, its doing horrible in npd, mc and we hear similar stories from the Uk, where else is it tracking far above ps3?

...you have seen what Mario Kart/3D Mario has done before right? They're both million sellers.

The question of "are those IPs at the tipping point yet of been there done that?" has to start becoming a valid one at some point. I know personally it is going to take a lot more than that to get me to buy one, luckily it also has Bayonetta 2, X, SMTxFE coming as well to pique my interest.

I think the Wii U will do okay ultimately, but there is no way it will have the same success the Wii had and I'd venture to say it will ve more in line with the Gamecube. The type of games that made the Wii a breakout success just aren't as popular anymore. Developers Guitar Heroed the motion sports, excercise, and dancing games to the point that now when those titles release it is white noise. The lack of third party support even from Japanese developers is really concerning though, and makes me wonder if the Wii U will have a short cycle (4 years) as Nintendo tries to play catch up.

Wiiu wasn't stillborn except in Europe. The system certainly had a decent launch in Japan and the US. More like it just flatlined. I really think Smash Bros would be a much better holiday game after all the whoring the Mario IP has gone through. I know many people who dont like Nintendo at all but love Smash Bros.

serplux

The question of "are those IPs at the tipping point yet of been there done that?" has to start becoming a valid one at some point. I know personally it is going to take a lot more than that to get me to buy one, luckily it also has Bayonetta 2, X, SMTxFE coming as well to pique my interest.

I think the Wii U will do okay ultimately, but there is no way it will have the same success the Wii had and I'd venture to say it will ve more in line with the Gamecube. The type of games that made the Wii a breakout success just aren't as popular anymore. Developers Guitar Heroed the motion sports, excercise, and dancing games to the point that now when those titles release it is white noise. The lack of third party support even from Japanese developers is really concerning though, and makes me wonder if the Wii U will have a short cycle (4 years) as Nintendo tries to play catch up.

Mario Kart has been here since 1992. 3D Mario has been here since 1996. They've consistently sold systems for a long, long time. What makes you think that will just stop?

Edit: I do think it will have a 4 year life cycle, btw. But it will have some damn good games on the system by the time everything's all said and done.

Wiiu wasn't stillborn except in Europe. The system certainly had a decent launch in Japan and the US. More like it just flatlined. I really think Smash Bros would be a much better holiday game after all the whoring the Mario IP has gone through. I know many people who dont like Nintendo at all but love Smash Bros.

The one problem I have with people who say "I dislike Nintendo games" is that'd you'd have to dislike Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Animal Crossing, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Pikmin, Pilotwings, Punch-Out, Sin and Punishment, Star Fox, StarTropics, Super Smash Bros, Wario Land, WarioWare, Wave Race, Yoshi, Custom Robo, Golden Sun, Pokemon, and Mother. Those games go across such a wide range of genres, if you don't like any of those games, I have to be very, very, very skeptical.

Takao

Banned
Mario Kart has been here since 1992. 3D Mario has been here since 1996. They've consistently sold systems for a long, long time. What makes you think that will just stop?

2D Mario platformers have been around since 1985. They sold platforms. NSMBU was a Wii U launch title. How come it isn't selling?

I think it's become clear that a number of Nintendo's first party games experienced artificial growth last gen. I say artificial because while those are real sales, the interest in those franchises are probably lower than those numbers would represent. A lot of the casual gamers who picked up a Wii due to Wii Sports, or Wii Fit bought those Mario games. The 3DS has shown that audience is no longer on Nintendo hardware. We've seen what Nintendogs can do when the novelty has worn off. We've just seen the new Brain Training flop compared to its predecessors (sub-10k debut in the NPD). I'd suspect a lot of Nintendo's games will see much lower sales than their entries from last gen. That's not to say their software will sell poorly. They'll continue to demolish Sony, and Microsoft in first party software sales, lol.

The one problem I have with people who say "I dislike Nintendo games" is that'd you'd have to dislike Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Animal Crossing, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Pikmin, Pilotwings, Punch-Out, Sin and Punishment, Star Fox, StarTropics, Super Smash Bros, Wario Land, WarioWare, Wave Race, Yoshi, Custom Robo, Golden Sun, Pokemon, and Mother. Those games go across such a wide range of genres, if you don't like any of those games, I have to be very, very, very skeptical.

Some of those IPs haven't had an entry in more than decade, and a lot of them are similar in aesthetic. If you don't like Mario you're probably not going to like Donkey Kong, Kirby, Wario, and Yoshi.

The 3DS has shown that audience is no longer on Nintendo hardware.

Actually MK7 is doing very well along with 3d land. Nintendo's IPs have definitely grown. Whether this happens on wiiu is anyone's guess, but the data shows differently.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What is "artificial" growth? What makes it artificial?

That seems bogus to me.

If you mean unsustainable, I could see that. But I don't think it's bogus. Their hardware strategy promoted the growth of those games. Now it doesn't/can't.

Sandfox

2D Mario platformers have been around since 1985. They sold platforms. NSMBU was a Wii U launch title. How come it isn't selling?

I agree with you but technically Mario is selling but its just not pushing the system. For almost every Wii U sale there seems to be a Mario sale to go with it.

big youth

Global numbers in a Japanese sales thread? I figured you'd do that, which is why I posted those NPD numbers, which represent North America. There are no publicly released regular hardware sales in Europe, so I can't call you out there. The truth of the matter is, as of right now, Wii U is indeed selling worse than the PS3 did in 2007. Wii U got off to a much better start, which is why its' LTD is higher than the PS3's, but completely cratered shortly after.

yes, global numbers in a Japanese sales thread......because we're talking about the health and future of Wii U. consoles typically don't live and die due to 1 region. all I said is Wii U is tracking about PS3 LTD, and you seem to be debating me for the sake of debating me. Did I offend you in the past with my opinion that Vita will be discontinued?

Takao

Banned
Actually MK7 is doing very well along with 3d land. Nintendo's IPs have definitely grown. Whether this happens on wiiu is anyone's guess, but the data shows differently.

You're right, both of those are doing very well. I might be overstating the impact of the casual audience on those games, or Nintendo succeeded in making the Brain Training/Wii Sports gateway drugs.

What is "artificial" growth? What makes it artificial?

That seems bogus to me.

If you mean unsustainable, I could see that. But I don't think it's bogus. Their hardware strategy promoted the growth of those games. Now it doesn't/can't.

Yeah, I didn't completely feel "artificial" was the right choice of words. I just can't see some of those games replicating the unreal success they had on Wii. Mario Kart did 9, and 7 million on N64, and GC. Sales for MK Wii are over 30 million ...

yes, global numbers in a Japanese sales thread......because we're talking about the health and future of Wii U. consoles typically don't live and die due to 1 region. all I said is Wii U is tracking about PS3 LTD, and you seem to be debating me for the sake of debating me. Did I offend you in the past with my opinion that Vita will be discontinued?

I'm debating you because I felt you were wrong. I remembered your opinion regarding Vita, and found your optimism for Wii U a bit funny. :p

Since I've been airing my opinion on Nintendo in this thread, I'll say this, I don't think they'll kill Wii U anytime soon. They'll accept a platform that sells 25-40 million units worldwide. Nintendo will do that because I don't think they have a choice. They axe Wii U, and they'll upset the people who own it, a market that mainly consists of their hardcore fanbase right now. Even if they were to axe Wii U, they'd be in a bad position. Nintendo launches a mid-gen platform competing with PS4/720 and they still won't get third party support because those devs tailored all of their tools to PS4/720. If Nintendo just lives off of the 3DS until that platform's done they run the risk of losing a lot of mind share in the console market, which would make their inevitable console/handheld hybrid a difficult sell.

Well they obviously won't sell 30 or even 15 million for that matter. I do believe Nintendo's brand has grown fro the gamecube. However, if Nintendo doesn't turn things around they risk complete irrelevance and sub GC sales and I think it will take a lot more than the usual Mario games to do so.

donny2112

And again, the WiiU is doing half of that and with little to no signs of third-party support going forward...

And if the Wii U was dependent on third-party support to the degree that any PlayStation console is dependent on third-party support, I'd agree that the Wii U should just be quietly cancelled now.

Anything that Nintendo could do to make a sizeable impact on the fortunes of the system is going to take money. Lots of money. Lots and lots of money. Keep saying it, but it keeps ringing true. The $1 billion profit goal for next FY as suggested by Iwata just seems very irresponsible in light of the need to turn around Wii U.

They are damaging the IP and already damaged the NSMB brand

It's led to Super Luigi U, so it can't be all bad. (Expectations, obviously.) NSMB2 should never be repeated again, though. Make coin collecting a bonus mode, which is what it always seemed like it should be to begin with, and not a focus. Focus on the courses and having a non-broken high score/DLC mode.

Like what?

Like full year guidance, which we've used before to predict price cuts and their expected impact/size of price cut.

Unbounded

Is it just me, or has it been the case that every single damn time a console was pronounced dead by gaffers it was saved once games people wanted started coming out?

You know, like the PS3, the 3DS, and the Vita.

NeonZ

What was the last system selling Mario platformer that added absolutely nothing new for most costumers compared to the game ins previous consoles? I don't see why people keep ignoring this point. To most people, NSMB U looks just like NSMB Wii. Wii might have been aesthetically similar to the DS game, but it was a console entry and added 4 player simultaneous multiplayer, which was a very big thing. NSMBU really has nothing comparable.

Yes, if Nintendo's next games end up being "Mario Kart 8, it's just like 7, but in HD!" and "Mario Galaxy 3! Just like 2! Because hardcore fans loved Galaxy 2, right?". They'll do nothing and fall flat on their faces just like U.

Now, on the other hand, I won't dismiss the Wii's userbase. Even if they end up doing better than NSMBU, they likely won't reach the numbers of their Wii's entries, but I don't think they'll necessarily fail as system sellers like NSMBU did if they don't take the same stupid route with those titles. Of course, Miyamoto's atittude about no new designs in Paper Mario, and the NSMB series itself doesn't really inspire confidence. I really hope he wasn't heavily involved with those other projects.

big youth

you may think my optimism for Wii U is funny, but at least I have well thought out reasons. When dealing with an issue this broad, there's obviously more factors than I have time to address, but some of the major ones include:

Nintendo has their restructuring in the rear view mirror, and are bigger than ever. More employees can mean bigger teams, bigger games, more teams, more publishing power, etc. I believe Retro now has 2 or 3 teams, Monolith has 2, and so forth. Wii U will see more Nintendo developed and published games than any of their past consoles, and many will rake in some money. Nintendo is already showing this by publishing the Platinum games, LEGO, Rayman, and partnering to make SMTxFE. It's a winning strategy.

the 3DS is on a roll and may be in for it's best year ever, especially with the world wide system seller Pokemon on the way. With 3rd parties having great success on the platform, Nintendo can turn their focus almost completely to Wii U.

barring contract type deals, Wii U will be the cheapest console from the big 3 on the market. This is hugely important and just like the Wii, is certainly no accident.

With Wii U Nintendo has more options than ever before. The most obvious of which is HD remakes/collections of GC and Wii games. These are all easy money and help fill out the release schedule. I wouldn't bet on Nintendo making the smart choice, but it's promising that they have the option to make Wind Waker HD just the start of a long line of exciting remakes. Look no further than the numerous HD collections on PS3 to see the sales potential. More easy money can be made now that Nintendo releases full games on the eshop.

Along the same lines, Nintendo has quite a few trump cards. An MMO-style Pokemon game on Wii U is the ultimate system seller. I also think games like Smash Bros and Zelda have room for growth now that they will be in HD and should sport better online capabilities than ever before, and the superior graphics will make TV spots and advertising more effective. There is also evidence that Retro's Wii U game is a Western focused game, and with their excellent track record they might have a 'Halo-killer' system seller releasing as early as this year.

Iwata has said blue ocean games are on the way. Now that the market has changed they might all be long shots, but with a track record like Nintendo's I wouldn't count out their ability to pull in casual and non gamers.

I don't rule out the possibility that the Gamepad could be a system seller. We won't know for sure until Nintendo launches a large advertising campaign in which they show off TVii and all the other neat apps and features. The fact half of NA still hasn't heard of the Wii U is viewed by some as a negative, but I'd argue that it gives the system future potential as more people are introduced to it.

I can predict one of the responses I might get, which is that much of my positivity for Wii U (to be a very profitable console) are based on maybes. It's a valid counter argument, but I think there are enough maybes, enough potential and possible home runs that I feel good about the U's future.

Scum

It's easier said than done but here's my list, Iwata...

• Sweet talk more Indie devs for goodies on the eShop.
  • Moneyhat some "top tier" third party IPs like Metal Gear Rising.
  • Chase after "small-to-mid tier" development studios or set them up internally, esp. at NoE & NoA, for those 1990-2000 era IPs [e.g. Star Fox, Rogue Squadron, XtremeG, F-Zero, Wave Race, etc] that have gone missing for many years.
  • Collaborations with independent and "mid tier" studios like Platinum and say, Atlus & Level 5.
...now get to work.

uT2ya52.png

MplJhFl.png

People really think Wii U will sell as well as the Gamecube? Come on..Nintendo software is stronger than ever, it'll sell more than the Gamecube even if its based on first party only. Give the system a little bit of time, seriously.

Yeah let's go through the hard phase of launching a system and going through the first year of drought, just to do it all over again without trying to maximize profit as much as you can! Nintendo has billions in the bank, I doubt this bad start for the Wii U is as big of a problem as people make it out to be. Nintendo will end this generation making plenty of profit, thats a guarantee that can't be said for Sony or Microsoft.

The PS3 is doing even worse, launch aligned. PS3 doesn't have first party support like Nintendo. Wii U to PS4/Durango gap isn't as bad as Wii to PS3/360 gap, weaker yes, but making it look outdated? Thats pure exaggeration.

People really think Wii U will sell as well as the Gamecube? Come on..Nintendo software is stronger than ever, it'll sell more than the Gamecube even if its based on first party only. Give the system a little bit of time, seriously.

Yeah, Gamecube really could've used some exclusive Nintendo support.

AOC83

Banned

What makes you think that?

....yes it is.
For the quadrillionth time, comparisons to the PS3 are flawed. There were very obvious reasons to its stalled start - namely the ridiculous price. And it had the backing of the entirety of the industry, something the Wii U doesn't enjoy. Publishers needed the PS3 to succeed. They have no vested interest in the Wii U.
...you have seen what Mario Kart/3D Mario has done before right? They're both million sellers.
NSMB Wii sold tens of millions too.
That's ridiculous.
If Nintendo intends to try to purely sustain this console on their first party efforts alone then as you imply, then I don't see how. Hyperbole sure, but essentially it will relegate them to GCN level irrelevance at best. I do not think any first party, even Nintendo's, can in and of itselve sustain a console's relevance to the market without some sort of unexpected phenomena like that which occurred with the Wii.

The Wii U is currently showing itself as the Wii without the casual audience.
Wii U will be the cheapest console from the big 3 on the market.
It's the most expensive console vying for a late adopter market, alongside consoles of comparable performance which released years ago.

What makes you think that?
Look at the software sales on DS/Wii. They've gained alot of brand awareness for their games during this era. Sure it doesn't guarantee every game will be a hit, but it certainly helps them in trying to carry the Wii U all alone.

Yeah, Gamecube really could've used some exclusive Nintendo support.
Gamecube came off the N64, brand awareness for their games was at an all time low. They're much better equipped to support a console by themselves now than they were back in the Gamecube days.

Yeah let's go through the hard phase of launching a system and going through the first year of drought, just to do it all over again without trying to maximize profit as much as you can! Nintendo has billions in the bank, I doubt this bad start for the Wii U is as big of a problem as people make it out to be. Nintendo will end this generation making plenty of profit, thats a guarantee that can't be said for Sony or Microsoft.

Times have changed and nintendo have shown recently that they too are not immune to making big losses. I wouldn't be surprised to see both MS and Sony making a lot more profit than Nintendo next gen.

The PS3 is doing even worse, launch aligned. PS3 doesn't have first party support like Nintendo. Wii U to PS4/Durango gap isn't as bad as Wii to PS3/360 gap, weaker yes, but making it look outdated? Thats pure exaggeration.

The PS3 didn't have 1st party support like nintendo. It did however have Sony's first party + essentially every 3rd party in the market. You can't just look at Japan in pure isolation either when discussing the consoles fortune. The wii U is looking to do significantly worse than the PS3 outside of Japan (it's performance in Europe in particular has got to be concerning).

The gap between Wii U and PS4/durango is still essentially going to be a full generation or close to it. The big problem here is how it will impact 3rd party support (we have already seen major companies and engines that will not be supporting the wii U at all seemingly).

The PS3 also had A LOT more room to move on price which is also something to consider.

I think the wii U will definitely outperform the gamecube but it's hard to see it matching the PS3 at this point. Unless nintendo has some massive surprises up their sleeve.

Tratorn

I think Nintendo is preparing everything for a little "relaunch" like the 3DS.
There's atm absolutely nothing coming out for the japanese market besides RE in the next time.
They probably now hold the most "bigger" games back until fall and there'll be only few releases here and there.
And then they'll come back with a pricecut and mario + kart + some other bigger 3rd-party stuff (that otherwise could maybe be released earlier).
We have to see what the ps4 japan-lineup looks like, but i still think wiiu can beat it there (since the 3ds will get the most big stuff anyways and ps4 isn't a handheld).

It just can't be that Nintendo released this console when they knew there would be absolutely nothing for many months after the launch, I just can't believe that...

Sony did also the same with vita and told the 3rd-partys to wait for february/march to release most of their stuff.
For Nintendo that'll be much more effective (even if the 3rd-party games won't be that big) since they also have strong 1st-partys.

AOC83

Banned
Look at the software sales on DS/Wii.
Most of the Nintendo franchises didn´t sell much better than they did on the cube although the Wii had 4 times the install base. Only exception were Mario Kart and NSMBU because they both appealed to the gigantic casual crowd. That´s not gonna repeat itself on the WiiU, as we already see at the NSMBU sales.

They've gained alot of brand awareness for their games during this era. Sure it doesn't guarantee every game will be a hit, but it certainly helps them in trying to carry the Wii U all alone.

They thought the same about the Wii brand. Turned out nobody gives a fuck about that anymore.

Times have changed and nintendo have shown recently that they too are not immune to making big losses. I wouldn't be surprised to see both MS and Sony making a lot more profit than Nintendo next gen.

The PS3 didn't have 1st party support like nintendo. It did however have Sony's first party + essentially every 3rd party in the market. You can't just look at Japan in pure isolation either when discussing the consoles fortune. The wii U is looking to do significantly worse than the PS3 outside of Japan (it's performance in Europe in particular has got to be concerning).

The gap between Wii U and PS4/durango is still essentially going to be a full generation or close to it. The big problem here is how it will impact 3rd party support (we have already seen major companies and engines that will not be supporting the wii U at all seemingly).

The PS3 also had A LOT more room to move on price which is also something to consider.

I think the wii U will definitely outperform the gamecube but it's hard to see it matching the PS3 at this point. Unless nintendo has some massive surprises up their sleeve.
They were preparing for the launch of two new consoles with a downturn in software in general, losses weren't a surprise. PS3 has weak first support vs strong third party support, just as Wii U has strong first party and weak third party. But look at the Wii for a second, last gen it had virtually no HD core games, it simply wasn't possible. The Wii U already has some things announced. Small steps and all but I think this is already better than what the Wii was getting. The big, big thing that the Wii U doesn't have is the casual hits, thats something that is gonna make everything so much harder than it was back then.

Most of the Nintendo franchises didn´t sell much better than they did on the cube although the Wii had 4 times the install base. Only exception were Mario Kart and NSMBU because they both appealed to the gigantic casual crowd. That´s not gonna repeat itself on the WiiU, as we already see at the NSMBU sales.

They thought the same about the Wii brand. Turned out nobody gives a fuck about that anymore.
Actually many of their games sold much better than the Gamecube days, do a little fact checking and you'd know.
The Wii sold more consoles then the PS3/360, who doesn't care again? Oh you mean core gamers? Well thats not a surprise considering there's nothing being released for them in the past few years on the Wii.

If you mean the Wii U, well, its hard to care when there's fuck all games on the console right now. You're confusing brand awareness with brand loyalty (fanboyism).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
And then they'll come back with a pricecut and mario + kart + some other bigger 3rd-party stuff (that otherwise could maybe be released earlier).

I thought the dream of Nintendo "telling" third parties to hide their games for Wii U would be over now even for die-hard believers.

This is completely false.
On Wii, with respect to GC, Super Smash Bros. sold more, Kirby sold more, Donkey Kong sold more, Pokémon sold more (home entries), Wario sold more, Animal Crossing sold more. The only one which half way is Zelda, since The Twilight Princess sold more than The Wind Waker but Skyward Sword sold less. Some other IPs sold less, like Metroid, but in general, Wii saw a huge increase in popularity of Nintendo IPs.

I know what it is.

It's that comma before the 'and'

I know it's an Oxford comma

I think I have it figured out. There numbers and letters are in a square. 2 is not a square number. W requires 4 strokes to write and 4 is a square number. Therefore W is the odd one out because its a square number.

Sandfox

This is completely false.
On Wii, with respect to GC, Super Smash Bros. sold more, Kirby sold more, Donkey Kong sold more, Pokémon sold more (home entries), Wario sold more, Animal Crossing sold more. The only one which half way is Zelda, since The Twilight Princess sold more than The Wind Waker but Skyward Sword sold less. Some other IPs sold less, like Metroid, but in general, Wii saw a huge increase in popularity of Nintendo IPs.

Do we even have recent enough numbers to say that Skyward Sword sold less?

Top Bottom