• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2017 (Mar 20 - Mar 26)

mclem

01. Issho ni Chokitto Snippers (NSW-DL) ¥1,800
02. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NSW) ¥7,538
03. 1-2-Switch (NSW) ¥5,378
04. ACA NEOGEO Metal Slug (NSW-VC) ¥823
05. ACA NEOGEO Metal Slug 3 (NSW-VC) ¥823
06. Othello (NSW-DL) ¥500
07. ACA NEOGEO The King of Fighters ‘98 (NSW-VC) ¥823
08. Shin Daikaitaku Jidai: Gai o Tsukurou (NSW-DL) ¥1,200
09. Super Bomberman R (NSW) ¥5,378
10. VOEZ (NSW-DL) ¥2,500
11. Makai Senki Disgaea 5 (NSW) ¥7,538
12. Puyo Puyo Tetris S (NSW) ¥5,389
13. Sangokushi 13 with Power Up Kit (NSW) ¥9,525
14. Blaster Master Zero (NSW-DL) ¥980
15. ACA NEOGEO The King of Fighters ‘94 (NSW-VC) ¥823

“These are the software titles with the most downloads for the past two weeks."

Is Shovel Knight not out on Switch in Japan yet? Seems odd for that to be missing when the earlier versions sold pretty well.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
C'mon, it's a remake from such an old game, and FE recently got a new life, lots of new fans.

This new release may be a remake but most fans of Awakening and Fates didn't even know about Gaiden's existence. It's an all new adventure with an all new cast for most people.

MHXX got hit by the 3DS fatigue and soon Pikmin will be the next victim. Atlus better embrace themselves too.

Gaiden is a not well received FE that has seen VC release at every Nintendo system, Wii, 3DS and Wii U. It's not the remake of such an old game that no one knows what to expect.

As for the others good luck if you expected spin-offs, remakes and low sellers to do big numbers, 3DS fatigue doesn't have big share at their potential sales.

BriBri

Is Shovel Knight not out on Switch in Japan yet? Seems odd for that to be missing when the earlier versions sold pretty well.
Nope. There's a free update to the 3DS and Wii U versions this week where it's published by Nintendo. There probably a delay to the Switch version due to Nintendo (possibly) not publishing.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It's looking like Mario Kart is going to prove some people wrong.

Switch sales served crow for far too many in here, one more won't make big difference.

Most interesting thing to watch with it is how Nintendo will treat the franchise if a Wii U port becomes an evergreen title on Switch and what they'll do with next entry.

Gambit

Switch sales served crow for far too many in here, one more won't make big difference.

Most interesting thing to watch with it is how Nintendo will treat the franchise if a Wii U port becomes an evergreen title on Switch and what they'll do with next entry.

I've been thinking that if they do MK9 for Switch they might not want to make 8 completely obsolete, so maybe 9 will be a return to Double Dash-style twin drivers. It might let both games coexist.

Shame about the new Fire Emblem. It really looks like the most promising 3DS one.

sphinx

the piano man
It's looking like Mario Kart is going to prove some people wrong.

people were questioning the game's hardware selling power because it's a remaster?

I feel like people often forget the fact that the Wii U hardware sales were incredibly fucking abysmal. Any given game released by nintendo for Wii U sold to about 10%~20% of the IP's potentia fanbase.

in a nutshell: barely anyone played all those great first-party WiiU games, they are new releases for all intents and purposes

test_account

XP-39C²
people were questioning the game's hardware selling power because it's a remaster?

I feel like people often forget the fact that the Wii U hardware sales were incredibly fucking abysmal. Any given game released by nintendo for Wii U sold to about 10%~20% of the IP's potentia fanbase.

in a nutshell: barely anyone played all those great first-party WiiU games, they are new releases for all intents and purposes
Its not as little as 10%-20% for the bigger titles. That would mean that certain titles would have the potential to sell upwards to 10 million copies in Japan alone. Many people skipped out on the WiiU and didnt play the games because of that though, that is true.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We know snipperclips sold 10k download cards at least

That's LTD, though, while the current eShop charts are just for the past two weeks (so, from March 20th to April 4th, right now). But we can say that, at least, SnipperClips sold 3,244 copies, since that's how much the digital codes sold in Week 12. Still, an obviously low floor, considering how both Week 13 and eShop sales are excluded.

The crux of the argument was always "Well, if Mario Kart couldn't sell the Wii U, why would it sell the Switch?".

One could argue that the Switch is actually appealing as far as hardware is concerned.

Zedark

Regarding Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, how does it fare on amazon.jp?

In France, it's currently the #1 selling game in April: https://www.amazon.fr/gp/bestsellers/2017-04/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar#1. *

It's lso the #5 best selling game in 2017.

Considering the low userbase, Switch being one month old, it looks like the attach rate will be BIG in my country.

It's ranked 4th, below Monster Hunter XX, Switch Neon, and Zelda Switch. Still, I believe amazon isn't that big in Japan, so it won't give you a very reliable picture for the Japanese situation.

Edit: This is for the hourly ranking, can't seem to find a monthly ranking, which may not even exist for Amazon Japan.

D.Lo

The crux of the argument was always "Well, if Mario Kart couldn't sell the Wii U, why would it sell the Switch?".

One could argue that the Switch is actually appealing as far as hardware is concerned.
I've said this so many times.

Removing the impediment of having to own the slow, dumb Wii U console to play these games, makes them much more appealing.

Well, when I was doubting MK8D more heavily, it was under the assumption that there's probably pretty hefty overlap between the couple million current switch owners and the 8 million mk8 wiiu owners. All those expanded audience customers that helped mk wii reach unholy sales #s are probably less likely to be early adopters.

granted, source: my butt. regardless, even though the sky is the limit for mk8 sales overall, I wouldn't really be surprised to see a mediocre start and godly legs.

With regards to Mario Kart, how are people expecting it to do? Do people expect Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to sell more in its first year in Japan than MK8 LTD?

For reference, By the end of last year it had sold around 1.2m and MK7 2.6m.
The Mario Kart 8DX Never Give Up Road To 850K First Week isn't happening, but I suspect it'll outsell the Wii U game in its 1st year, and probably get to 2+ million before MK9/Double Dash 2 gets announced.

Games as a Service. It's not usually used in a positive context but it's hard to believe Nintendo will release something that lives up to the content in MK8D anytime soon. They should definitely think about how they'll divide their online players if they do decide to make MK9. Jimquition did an episode about how Splatoon (and Witcher 3) shows how GaaS really should be provided. I think MK9 could be interesting if they try something to retain users by continuing to add value to it over time, and not just as paid DLC.
I made a joke ages ago about how Mario Kart should go full Overwatch. But seriously they should go full Overwatch. Free characters and tracks/cups, lock boxes for character skins and kart parts, DLC keys to unlock them.

Zedark

The Mario Kart 8DX Never Give Up Road To 850K First Week isn't happening, but I suspect it'll outsell the Wii U game in its 1st year, and probably get to 2+ million before MK9/Double Dash 2 gets announced.

I made a joke ages ago about how Mario Kart should go full Overwatch. But seriously they should go full Overwatch. Free characters and tracks/cups, lock boxes for character skins and kart parts, DLC keys to unlock them.

Uh, who would even think that?
Or am I missing some insider joke here?

Orgen

Less "MK8D will do very well" and more predictions! How much do you think it'll sell LTD in Japan? I think it'll do a little more than MK8 Wii U but not more than 1.5 million LTD... so between 1.3 - 1.5 million is my estimate ;D (I'm ready to eat crow).

That's about it.

Wii U problem was always the hardware, not the software.

As detrimental as the hardware and concept were, the software catalog was definitely a problem too.

Nintendo software always deferred to the hardware in which they're housed. There was nothing greatly enticing about the Wii U hardware and so by extension and association it marred the games that sought to appeal to its off-putting features.

L~A

As detrimental as the hardware and concept were, the software catalog was definitely a problem too.

Problem with Wii U was both. Not compealing hardware > less compealing games > less sales > hardware becomes less compealing for publisher > less games period > etc. Pretty bad vicious circle the Wii U was stuck in from launch, and never truly managed to get out of.

Wii U did have its fair bit of great games, Splatoon was one of them, but it came way too late, and wasn't really accompanied by anything else. Had it been released during the first year, then the Wii U's fate would've been quite different (at least in Japan). Of course, it's easy to play the "What if?" game after the fact (ie: "What if PSV had had MonHun? It could've not failed!).

It's easier to be highly optimistic about MK8DX now since we can see the system is appealing to more than Wii U owners. The Switch has great momentum so the game should do great, but I wasn't particularly confident it would sell a million+ when I thought the early adopters would perhaps just be people who own and are satisfied with the Wii U.

hatchx

Banned
Wii U did have its fair bit of great games, Splatoon was one of them, but it came way too late, and wasn't really accompanied by anything else. Had it been released during the first year, then the Wii U's fate would've been quite different (at least in Japan). Of course, it's easy to play the "What if?" game after the fact (ie: "What if PSV had had MonHun? It could've not failed!).

The first year lineup really didn't help sell consoles. Game and Wario, Monster Hunter 3, Pikmin 3, and Wonderful 101 were all too niche. The train had left on Wii fit, Wii sports, and Wii party U, and as great as 3D World was, it was anticlimactic.

BoTW, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart instantly make the Switch first year better than wiiU. I wouldn't be surprised to see MK8DX outsell MK8 on wiiU.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Only way MK8DX doesnt outsell the WiiU version is if Nintendo announces MK9 in the next 18 months - but i doubt it.

Software was an issue early on because of the HD transition and the fact that WiiU was competing with the 3DS - MK, Smash and co. were all on the cheaper and more popular system...why bother with a WiiU ? The GamePad as USP was a non-factor for most customers, while being able to play your games on the go and on the big screen, coop setup from the go and the different control options on Switch result in a appealing package.

Delivering distinct libraries for specific customers groups for mobile/Switch will be easier than it was for 3DS/WiiU.

noshten

The first year lineup really didn't help sell consoles. Game and Wario, Monster Hunter 3, Pikmin 3, and Wonderful 101 were all too niche. The train had left on Wii fit, Wii sports, and Wii party U, and as great as 3D World was, it was anticlimactic.

BoTW, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart instantly make the Switch first year better than wiiU. I wouldn't be surprised to see MK8DX outsell MK8 on wiiU.

MK8D should easily outsell MK8.
Personally I think it's entirely possible it surpasses lifetime sales of the Wii U version before December(I think it's going to be August/September). My original prediction for the year was around 2.5 mil and I still think this is a good result but nothing amazing for MK8D - if they announce some additional DLC for December or 2018 it could do exceptionally well.

SalvaPot

True, yet the Switch is getting in its first year what equivalates to half the must-have titles on the whole Wii U line-up.

Zelda BOTW
Splatoon -->Splatoon 2
Mario 3D World --> Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade X --> Xenoblade 2
Zelda Musou --> Emblem Musou
Tokyo Mirage Sessions --> Fire Emblem Switch
Mario Kart 8 -->Mario Kart 8D
Nintendoland --> 1 2 Switch

All they need is Smash, Yoshi, Mario Maker, New Mario Bros, Kirby Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Pikmin and a Pokemon game and they cover all the 1 million+ franchises they did release on Wii U. And a Platinum game, of couse. W102 would be my dream, but Bayo 2 or a new IP seems more likely. Maybe they finally let them develop a game with a Nintendo IP from scatch instead of using them for assets...

And we still don't know what they have on the works for E3, Retro and Next Level should have something nice to show off, and we can expect more ports from Wii U and 3DS, maybe even Wii since they introduced the joy-cons on a portable console.

I think the Wii U would have had a completely different story if Nintendo had ordered their software differently. A Splatoon + Super Mario Maker or Mario Kart 8 combo in 2013 would have changed things compared to just Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World.

I think they should try something like Wii Sports again. I can't believe Wii Sports U was this half-assed. More like quarter-assed and I'm being generous. A proper sequel taking advantage of the Joy-Con could be relatively successful, I would think.

I think the Wii U would have had a completely different story if Nintendo had ordered their software differently. A Splatoon + Super Mario Maker or Mario Kart 8 combo in 2013 would have changed things compared to just Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World.

The hardware was unappealing no matter how you slice it. It was by far the biggest limiting factor.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I've been thinking that if they do MK9 for Switch they might not want to make 8 completely obsolete, so maybe 9 will be a return to Double Dash-style twin drivers. It might let both games coexist.
Splitting sales between two games doesn't look the best idea. Nintendo most likely plays the wait and see game right now. How sales of MK8DX fare will play determine the future of MK. Going for a new entry later or keep updating this one with DLC.

random25

MK9 is surely on the pipeline for Nintendo. MK8D is simply a pretty good stop gap since having an evergreen title die easily because the Wii U became obsolete early can still grow with a new audience with an immediate hardware replacement in Switch. How much longer will it come out now depends on how much staying power does MK8D have on a worldwide scale.

cw_sasuke

Still think Mario Kart on mobile for next year is much more likely than MK9 Switch being announced any time soon. Whatever they would need to top MK8DX in terms of features and content will likely be held off for a couple of years.

E-phonk

Banned
Splitting sales between two games doesn't look the best idea. Nintendo most likely plays the wait and see game right now. How sales of MK8DX fare will play determine the future of MK. Going for a new entry later or keep updating this one with DLC.

Yeah, if MK8 does well I can see it being the only MK game this generation with DLC announcements at E3.

MK9 is surely on the pipeline for Nintendo. MK8D is simply a pretty good stop gap since having an evergreen title die easily because the Wii U became obsolete early can still grow with a new audience with an immediate hardware replacement in Switch. How much longer will it come out now depends on how much staying power does MK8D have on a worldwide scale.

I don't expect a MK9 until they release a new hardwareform for Switch (that will be fully compatible - ie, Iwata's idea of the iphone/ipad ecosystem).
MK8 and Smash brothers would work best as service based platforms on Switch.

I think they should try something like Wii Sports again. I can't believe Wii Sports U was this half-assed. More like quarter-assed and I'm being generous. A proper sequel taking advantage of the Joy-Con could be relatively successful, I would think.

I'd settle for a Wii Sports Resort remake or even a port, to be honest.

random25

Yeah, if MK8 does well I can see it being the only MK game this generation with DLC announcements at E3.

I don't expect a MK9 until they release a new hardwareform for Switch (that will be fully compatible - ie, Iwata's idea of the iphone/ipad ecosystem).
MK8 and Smash brothers would work best as service based platforms on Switch.

It really depends on how much MK8D sells worldwide. If in 2 years MK8D doesn't exceed the original's numbers, then I can see Nintendo revitalizing the series again with MK9 soon. If it does ridiculously better, then MK9 might jump to the next hardware gen.

E-phonk

Banned
It really depends on how much MK8D sells worldwide. If in 2 years MK8D doesn't exceed the original's numbers, then I can see Nintendo revitalizing the series again with MK9 soon. If it does ridiculously better, then MK9 might jump to the next hardware gen.

Obviously agree - it will depend on how much it sells and the legs it has the next months/years.

The best way to double up on the series on switch is either to finally make it smash kart and throw everyone in there to breath new life or go full modern desigm and make it a service game where you give the base for free and can piece meal your way to a full product purchase unlock like they did with Pokemon picross.

Whatever MK9 is, it needs to evolve because with battle mode fixed in MK8D, the series has reached its pinnacle in its current form IMO.

I feel like Japan would be super comfortable with the f2p mentality of a service option. No more starting from scratch e ery generation and every new switch owner could be a default MK9 player if preinstalled.

BriBri

Konami are back! 100% Pasukaru Sensei: Perfect Paint Bombers comes out on 3DS on 13 July and is inspired by Splatoon but plays in 2D.

Caramello

And we still don't know what they have on the works for E3, Retro and Next Level should have something nice to show off, and we can expect more ports from Wii U and 3DS, maybe even Wii since they introduced the joy-cons on a portable console.

Next Level won't have anything to show off until 2019 most likely considering they just finished Federation Force last year.

Soul Lab

True, yet the Switch is getting in its first year what equivalates to half the must-have titles on the whole Wii U line-up.

Zelda BOTW
Splatoon -->Splatoon 2
Mario 3D World --> Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade X --> Xenoblade 2
Zelda Musou --> Emblem Musou
Tokyo Mirage Sessions --> Fire Emblem Switch
Mario Kart 8 -->Mario Kart 8D
Nintendoland --> 1 2 Switch

I like this comparison. Fire Emblem Switch is 2018 though. Well ok, if it will be released before March 2018, you're right. But I doubt it.

Maxinas

I like this comparison. Fire Emblem Switch is 2018 though. Well ok, if it will be released before March 2018, you're right. But I doubt it.

Most likely a summer release, if the FE Echoes release schedule is anything to go by, hopefully we'll be seeing a worldwide release for FE Switch. The 7-11 months long wait for Fates in the West was brutal.

duckroll

FWIW I think it's a terrible set of comparisons. Some fit, most don't. They are superficial forced comparisons that don't take into account the actual products, the audiences, and whether they fill the same niche or not.

Charamiwa

Banned
FWIW I think it's a terrible set of comparisons. Some fit, most don't. They are superficial forced comparisons that don't take into account the actual products, the audiences, and whether they fill the same niche or not.

You're right, Mario Odyssey is a much more attractive product than a 3ds sequel.

cw_sasuke

You're right, Mario Odyssey is a much more attractive product than a 3ds sequel.

Eh....speak for yourself.
3D World sold very well for a WiiU title...you think a 3D World type experience with the Joycon Coop setup wouldnt perform well on Switch ?

The core gamer crowd might be more hyped for SMO - saying that its a much more attractive product than the last 3D Marios is quite a stretch. If it doesnt feature some kind of coop it will be a step back in that regard for many customers.

Charamiwa

Banned
Eh....speak for yourself.
3D World sold very well for a WiiU title...you think a 3D World type experience with the Joycon Coop setup wouldnt perform well on Switch ?

The core gamer crowd might be more hyped for SMO - saying that its a much more attractive product than the last 3D Marios is quite a stretch. If it doesnt feature some kind of coop it will be a step back in that regard for many customers.

I'm being facetious. He's implying that this positive list isn't honest and relevant, I'm implying it's not honest and relevant because it's even better.

Still, you can compare the reveal for both games to see that there's a clear appeal to Odyssey, while 3D World had a lot to prove. And I'm pretty sure they implied co op when they said that the functionalities of the hat would tie in the functionalities of the Switch. Also they played the game co op on the rooftop party during the reveal trailer.

Top Bottom