• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2014 (Mar 24 - Mar 30)

phanphare

Banned
3DS: "it's good to be the King"

goodtobeking.jpg

Lexxism

Do we have any sales comparisons for how the PS3 did in japan compared to PS4 at this far into the launch?

PS3 first 15 weeks

81.639 / 81.639
42.099 / 123.738
32.662 / 156.400
31.436 / 187.836
50.171 / 238.007
70.942 / 308.949
76.882 / 385.831
71.727 / 457.558
69.944 / 527.501
25.531 / 553.032
21.105 / 574.137
19.996 / 594.133
18.727 / 612.860
23.431 / 636.291
20.676 / 656.967

PS4 first 6 weeks

309.154 / 309.154
65.685 / 374.839
35.294 / 410.133
29.677 / 439.810
30.201 / 470.011
23.327 / 493.338

Soon.

Is this you were looking for? If not, never mind me.

Shahed

Right before launch, you are probably right (though I still don't think I saw anybody predicting a sub 10k baseline). Maybe I'll dig around when I have some time later, but I'll be surprised if I can find any non-Nintendo die hards one year ago expecting (a) sub 10k baseline, (b) tracking well behind Wii U launch aligned, six weeks in.

Either way together we can light a candle and mourn the Japenese console market as it continues through its apparent death throes.
Using predictions from a year ago isn't really that useful though. When people make those predictions, they make them on the basis (or hope) that there will be decent software support for the platform. Think of the expectations for Wii U to do well and the infamous thread about any reason it wouldn't dominate

The best time to take predictions for the PS4 in real value would be the period post TGS when there is a rough idea at the launch lineup and post launch support. Having seen how dire both are, I'd be surprised if many people got carried away with their guesses.

smbu2000

Actually, that's made me realise something: The clamshell design of the DS is much better as a canvas for limited edition designs than the Vita (where you can design on the backplate and a little on the edges?).

I mean, it's a minor thing, but I wonder if a Sony would be more inclined to experiment with LE hardware with a clamshell Vita.

I don't think that would stop them any. I mean the PSP LE versions had something on the front and even a bit on the back as well. It just seems like Sony is getting lazier with their LE hardware. The Vita LE's are a bit worse than the PSP ones, IMO and the PS4 LE hardware(hard drive cover, I should say) are much worse than the awesome custom PS3 LE systems that they put out.

I have both a custom PSP LE (Duodecim 012: Chaos and Cosmos) and a custom PS3 LE (Tales of Xillia Edition) and Sony's newest custom systems (Vita/PS4) don't really interest me too much.

otakuderek

That you only mentioned PS4 in combination with exclusives could misslead some people :p

I wouldn't mind a Sony job if they need a good lawyer :)

Then why would you want exclusives just for the PS4, when all of the systems need help?

It was just in reference to the sales bump this week for the other systems and the fact the PS4 is a new system that needs some lovin'. All the systems do have something on the horizon though. Sorry to confuse anyone. I'm not trying to be biased or anything.

Fularu

Banned
Good week for Vita. 3DS stretching away again. Not good at all for the PS4. Ship those machines elsewhere Sony.
I don't know about Europe (or more precisely the UK) but here in QC the PS4 is widely available (BB, FS, Target, EBGames and Wal-Mart all have plenty of stock)

I don't know about Europe (or more precisely the UK) but here in QC the PS4 is widely available (BB, FS, Target, EBGames and Wal-Mart all have plenty of stock)

Well here in Finland if you order PS4 now from the most popular electronics online shop you get in in June... Continental Europe is still starving when it comes to PS4s.

Wii Sport Club didn't chart on Famitsu.

Does this mean Famitsu didn't track the bundled downloadable cards or the bundle simply didn't sell well?

kirby2096

PDF 2nd sale numbers are good. Considering that PSN download prices are a fair bit cheaper than physical copies, not to mention buying one physical version gets you a code to purchase the other version on PSN at an even bigger discount.
Most people won't be double dipping so they probably give them away to friends, so that's a lot numbers that are not being tracked.

I'm sure Sega will be happy with their total sales figures.

antibolo

Banned
Oh man, disappointing numbers for Miku.

And it didn't even bring the Vita over the 3DS in hardware sales.

Japan, I am disappoint.

Dragonsworne may have been right after all. The Wii U maybe poised to be the leading home console in Japan for this generation lol.

Too bad he lost his faith in the establishment before the PS4 launched lol.

That's terrible. We will get a few high selling games like Final Fantasy from Japan and the rest will go to mobile or on portable consoles. D:

Let's hope for a miracle.

Looking the situation of the console market in Japan. Will be a good decision of Microsoft, stay away of Japan, for a long time, with the XBO and put more effort on new markets like China.

BadWolf

Still way too early to call doom on the PS4 imo.

The thing launched just recently there and its pretty clear that its current line up isn't exactly Japan focused.

When the games come so will the sales.

If a dead around the world system like Vita can do it then I'm sure that the PS4 can as well.

xk0sm0sx

I'm having a hard choice deciding to get New Love Plus+. I want to try salvaging the relationship on a much smoother platform(game), but looking at the impressions, there are hardly new features. In fact, it is like a expansion pack just like how Love Plus+ was to Love Plus.

And some of the things I liked in the DS version that weren't in the 3DS original, they didn't even put it back into the +...

Also 3D view, yeah since we can't fix it, let's just dump it altogether...

Also, in a way, the Love Plus franchise is even lazier than Animal Crossing games. They hardly added new illustrations in the 3DS game, most were from the DS games. Spoken lines were carried over as well. It feels like they were spending most of the time playing with the 3DS features in development. And in this expansion they are still using assets from the DS version. Really had hoped there would be a lot of new features and illustrations...

But I still really want to get this game just to continue the virtual relationship :( In spite of the problems, I got the achievement of turning on the game every day for a year...

L.O.R.D

is it true about the rise of tax this week, thats why the vita is dropped in sales ?

edit : so , the tax bumb is going next week, then the vita sales will go higher ? how this work ?

RM8

Man, PS4 might not outsell ViitaU in Japan, right? That's nuts. Just imagine the glorious numbers XB1 would get over there.

RalchAC

If a dead around the world system like Vita can do it then I'm sure that the PS4 can as well.

Can you explain this? I mean, Japanese market is really different than Western ones. That sentence does not make sense at all. The PS4 could perfectly do 4 million lifetime there even if it sells 100 in the West during the same time.

Not saying it'll sell 4 million units. It was an example.

Looking the situation of the console market in Japan. Will be a good decision of Microsoft, stay away of Japan, for a long time, with the XBO and put more effort on new markets like China.

Yes. Xbox and 360 were overlooked completely around there. There's no indicatione XBO will do any different.

Snakeyes

I think the PS4 is just in a random slump. Maybe there were other high profile products (not necessarily electronics) released last week and people decided to spend their tax hike money on that instead. It could very well rise next week.

Spiegel

is it true about the rise of tax this week, thats why the vita is dropped in sales ?

edit : so , the tax bumb is going next week, then the vita sales will go higher ? how this work ?

Vita went up this week. 37k -> 41k

It should go down next week.

BadWolf

Can you explain this? I mean, Japanese market is really different than Western ones. That sentence does not make sense at all. The PS4 could perfectly do 4 million lifetime there even if it sells 100 in the West during the same time.

Not saying it'll sell 4 million units. It was an example.

What I meant was that the Vita was pretty much a dead system with very limited software support and yet after selling terribly for quite a while it eventually started selling in the region and gaining support.

The PS4 is a system that is selling at record pace on a worldwide scale and is also getting very heavy support and will get it moving forward. So even if Japan drags its feet for a while then the PS4 will still have software to offer.

So yeah, if a system with very limited support can eventually get going then a much more successful system should be able to as well. They just need the right games.

Road

It took a few weeks, but the PS4 obvious-to-anyone situation will now become clear to all.

That the comeback talk begins.

I see PS4 continues its decent to irrelevance. Do Japanese gamers just don't care for non-Japanese games?

They care. They're buying them for their PS3.

I smell a drive-by-troll.

Top Bottom