• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2011 (Apr 4 - Apr 10)

Road

Member
Jan 21, 2008
7,602
0
0
Brazil
sites.google.com
Bizzyb said:
Last time I checked PSX was still going (relatively) strong at the end of it's life.
Yes, if we assume DQX is coming out next year, then, comparatively, the PS1 was doing better one year before DQVII (1999); the average weekly sales for it was 35.7k that year, with the lowest week being 13.3k.

The PS2 quickly "killed" the PS1, though. Weekly sales of the PS1 in 2000:



- First, huge spike is Famitsu going crazy (???)
- Second increase is FFIX
- Subsequent peak is DQVII
 

Father_Brain

Banned
Jun 7, 2004
22,707
0
0
35
New York, NY
JoshuaJSlone said:
Just because that option is tough doesn't mean the alternative is likely or feasible.

Definitely. For one thing, if Nintendo were actually launching its next console in seven months, third parties would have to have dev kits by now, and no console manufacturer - including Nintendo, for all its secrecy - has ever been able to keep the existence of dev kits completely under wraps. And besides, E3 would only be about five months before this hypothetical launch, which is an unprecedentedly short timeframe.
 

sphinx

the piano man
Nov 21, 2006
15,737
0
1,360
Germany
one thing that puzzles me about a possible Wii 2 in the coming months is that games like Zelda and Dragon Quest 10 would have to be playable in the current Wii.

That being the case, what would be the software that will sell the new Hardware?

it doesn't add up.

My guess is that nintendo will just wait as long as possible, maybe 2 more holidays.
 

Effect

Member
Jun 15, 2007
21,770
0
0
sphinx said:
one thing that puzzles me about a possible Wii 2 in the coming months is that games like Zelda and Dragon Quest 10 would have to be playable in the current Wii.

That being the case, what would be the software that will sell the new Hardware?

it doesn't add up.

My guess is that nintendo will just wait as long as possible, maybe 2 more holidays.

Nintendo still has IPs they haven't released yet. Also there is always Super Mario Galaxy 3 they could launch a Wii 2 with. Sequels haven't been done since the NES and why not make it a trilogy. Not the first time they've launched a system with the third installment of a series (Metroid Prime 3). Nintendo still has F-Zero, Wave Race and Pikmin. If it upscales Wii games the better. That would still allow for Wii software to sell as hardware sales on the Wii wouldn't be the important thing to worry about anymore.
 

sphinx

the piano man
Nov 21, 2006
15,737
0
1,360
Germany
Effect said:
Nintendo still has IPs they haven't released yet. Also there is always Super Mario Galaxy 3 they could launch a Wii 2 with. Sequels haven't been done since the NES and why not make it a trilogy. Not the first time they've launched a system with the third installment of a series (Metroid Prime 3). Nintendo still has F-Zero, Wave Race and Pikmin. If it upscales Wii games the better. That would still allow for Wii software to sell as hardware sales on the Wii wouldn't be the important thing to worry about anymore.

If nintendo announced THAT at E3 or sometime this year, that would be a megaton of epic propotions, new hardware with 3 or 4 NEW games from existing and cherished IPs.

I don't think that's gonna happen, maybe I am too pessimistic.
 

Barack Lesnar

Banned
Jun 7, 2010
19,179
0
0
How is the PSP doing so well? I just don't get it. It's got 9 games in the top 20 and is among the leaders in hardware sales week after week. It's like the tide turned, but why now? Maybe everyone in Japan already has a DS lol
 
Dec 18, 2004
1,617
13
1,465
Heavy said:
How is the PSP doing so well? I just don't get it. It's got 9 games in the top 20 and is among the leaders in hardware sales week after week. It's like the tide turned, but why now? Maybe everyone in Japan already has a DS lol

You must be new? Let's talk Monster hunter. (along with portable games in japan, etc etc)
 

protonion

Member
Jul 20, 2009
2,292
776
1,185
Athens,Greece
Heavy said:
How is the PSP doing so well? I just don't get it. It's got 9 games in the top 20 and is among the leaders in hardware sales week after week. It's like the tide turned, but why now? Maybe everyone in Japan already has a DS lol

IMO PSP is the most misunderstood console of all time. While I still prefer DS over it, it has an amazing library and the hardware is great. It took a while for gamers to "discover" it. Sony did a bad job marketing it I think...
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
Next week's releases {2011.04.21}

[NDS] Battle & Get! Pokemon Typing DS (Pokemon Co.)
[NDS] Detective Conan: Aoki Houseki no Rinbukyoku (Bandai Namco)
[NDS] Original Story from Fairy Tail: Gekitotsu! Kardia Daiseidou (Hudson)
[NDS] Cosmetic Paradise: Princess Life (Global A Entertainment)
[NDS] Toudai Shogi: Meijinsen Dojo DS (NCS)
[NDS] Mega Man Zero Collection [New Best Price! 2000] (Capcom)

[PSP] S.Y.K.: Renshouden Portable (Idea Factory)
[PSP] S.Y.K. Portable (Twin Pack) (Idea Factory)
[PSP] SNK Arcade Classics 0 (SNK Playmore)
[PSP] GachiTora! Abarenbou Kyoushi in High School (Spike)
[PSP] Monster Hunter Diary: Pokapoka Ailu Village [PSP the Best] (Capcom)

[WII] Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Duel Transer (Konami)
[WII] Billy's Boot Camp: Enjoy the Diet on Wii! (Rocket Company)
[WII] Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles [Best Price!] (Capcom)

[PS3] SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs 4 (SCE)
[PS3] nail'd (CyberFront)
[PS3] Clannad (Prototype)
[PS3] Sekai Saikyou Ginsei Shogi: Fuuum Ryouko Raiden (SilverStar)
[PS3] Bikkuri Pachinko: Ashita no Joe - Kyouraku Collection Vol. 1 (Kyouraku Sangyou Holdings)
[PS3] Top Spin 4 (Take-Two Interactive)
[PS3] LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Warner Bros. Interactive)
[PS3] God of War III [Playstation 3 the Best] (SCE)
[PS3] Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope - International [Ultimate Hits] (Square Enix)
[PS3] NieR Replicant [Ultimate Hits] (Square Enix)

[360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online (Forward 1 Premium Package) (Capcom) {2011.04.20}

[360] Otomedius X (Konami)
[360] nail'd (CyberFront)
[360] Top Spin 4 (Take-Two Interactive)
[360] NieR Gestalt [Platinum Collection] (Square Enix)
 

antonz

Member
May 12, 2010
22,341
0
0
protonion said:
IMO PSP is the most misunderstood console of all time. While I still prefer DS over it, it has an amazing library and the hardware is great. It took a while for gamers to "discover" it. Sony did a bad job marketing it I think...
To be fair the PSP situation in Japan is vastly superior to the one in the West. Its getting what the Japanese consider major titles all the time.

That alone is enough to keep it selling well even as the overall gaming enviroment is hostile
 

Magicpaint

Member
May 19, 2005
12,889
2
1,455
United Kingdom
Heavy said:
How is the PSP doing so well? I just don't get it. It's got 9 games in the top 20 and is among the leaders in hardware sales week after week. It's like the tide turned, but why now? Maybe everyone in Japan already has a DS lol
Where were you when Monster Hunter single-handedly revived the PSP in Japan?
 

m.i.s.

Banned
Mar 13, 2009
1,773
12
1,015
England, UK
Canova said:
Japan and Nintendo love affair seems to be over

The last time Nintendo did a mis-step was with the N64 in 1996: it took them 10 years to recover their position in the console market.

Considering both the Wiimote / motion control (initially mooted as a GCN add-on) and the touch screen DS were considered to be Yamauchi's ideas, I do wonder how Iwata, lauded as an astute businessman, will come up with worthy successors to Yamauchi's ideas. Iwata's mis-handling of the 3DS points to worrying signs.
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
We started with Wii 2 again? There won't be a successor this FY, get over it and looking at 3DS launch we will probably won't see it before December 2012.
 

[Nintex]

Member
Jun 21, 2005
18,889
5
1,560
32
The Netherlands
www.n1ntendo.nl
M.I.S. said:
The last time Nintendo did a mis-step was with the N64 in 1996: it took them 10 years to recover their position in the console market.

Considering both the Wiimote / motion control (initially mooted as a GCN add-on) and the touch screen DS were considered to be Yamauchi's ideas, I do wonder how Iwata, lauded as an astute businessman, will come up with worthy successors to Yamauchi's ideas. Iwata's mis-handling of the 3DS points to worrying signs.
I'm sure Iwata can think of something since Nintendo didn't even 'try' at launch. They totally overestimated the 3D thing, their brand and the shitty launch line-up. But then again from the interviews it's clear that it took a while before everyone at Nintendo was convinced that 3D was the way to go. I wonder if stereoscopic 3D has the same issue that FPS games have in Japan. If it's something that the Japanese public dislikes(the entire 3D thing pushed by Nvidia, Sony and others might've been a misguided fad but it's too early to call) than Nintendo has run into quite a problem.
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
[Nintex] said:
I wonder if stereoscopic 3D has the same issue that FPS games have in Japan. If it's something that the Japanese public dislikes(the entire 3D thing pushed by Nvidia, Sony and others might've been a misguided fad but it's too early to call) than Nintendo has run into quite a problem.
If they don't like 3D they turn it off. That's not the problem.
 

[Nintex]

Member
Jun 21, 2005
18,889
5
1,560
32
The Netherlands
www.n1ntendo.nl
Chris1964 said:
We started with Wii 2 again? There won't be a successor this FY, get over it and looking at 3DS launch we will probably won't see it before December 2012.
But are they able to sustain profits/revenue with a weak ass dollar and a $150 Wii rumored/likely pricedrop, shrinking European marketshare, declining DS sales and 3DS not picking up the slack out of the gates? Wouldn't they need to release 'something' to earn back their billions in R&D spendng. They recently announced the construction of a new office to pretty much double the workforce as well. Can they afford to eat their losses, buckle up and watch the Wii slowly fade away as Apple and Microsoft take the spotlight.
 

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
1
1,590
Spiegel said:
No, that would be a disaster

DQVII - 4M
DQVIII - 3.8M
DQIX - 4.35M

Yeah, definitely. I expect something like DQVIII (3.56m w/o budget releases) for the initial release. AKA: ~Wii Fit

Canova said:
Japan and Nintendo love affair seems to be over

Total software in 2011 (Famitsu from my database):

1. PSP - 3.6m
2. WII - 1.8m
3. PS3 - 1.6m
4. NDS - 1.5m
5. 3DS - 0.8m
6. 360 - 0.2m
7. PS2 - 0.0m (40K)

Chris1964 said:
We started with Wii 2 again? There won't be a successor this FY,

Would've been nice to have it launch in Fall 2011 in Japan. That's been off the table for quite a while now, though. The earliest it could be, at this point, is Spring 2012. Japan needs it way before the rest of the world, though. ROW Fall 2012 would be fine.
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
[Nintex] said:
But are they able to sustain profits/revenue with a weak ass dollar and a $150 Wii rumored/likely pricedrop, shrinking European marketshare, declining DS sales and 3DS not picking up the slack out of the gates? Wouldn't they need to release 'something' to earn back their billions in R&D spendng. They recently announced the construction of a new office to pretty much double the workforce as well. Can they afford to eat their losses, buckle up and watch the Wii slowly fade away as Apple and Microsoft take the spotlight.
That 3DS started bad doesn't mean it won't recover at some point.

Either way releasing 2 new consoles the same Fiscal Year (1 week doesn't count) is financial suicide. It won't happen. The end.
 
Chris1964 said:
We started with Wii 2 again? There won't be a successor this FY, get over it and looking at 3DS launch we will probably won't see it before December 2012.
Yeah there have been zero signs from anywhere that the platform actually exists outside of the barren Wii line-up.

We had a ton of stuff about both the 3DS and the PSP2 way before they were announced.

The only way the system could launch this year is if Nintendo was going to launch the system entirely on their own titles, which would be beyond lolstastical.
 

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
1
1,590
Chris1964 said:
Either way releasing 2 new consoles the same Fiscal Year (1 week doesn't count) is financial suicide. It won't happen. The end.

Hey, you added that bolded part later! :lol And it's still wrong!

And, no, it's not financial suicide by any stretch. Launching Wii 2 in March next year in Japan without proper launch software wouldn't be a good idea, but that doesn't mean that in general, it's financial suicide to launch two game systems in the same FY. It just requires planning that we haven't seen evidence of Nintendo having made, at this point.
 

sphinx

the piano man
Nov 21, 2006
15,737
0
1,360
Germany
is it feasible for nintendo to announce an upgrade for the Wii (kinda like gameboy to gameboy color) at E3 for a release in holidays or say, before March 2012?

a revision of existing hardware wouldn't be out of the question, would it? I always got the feeling people are talking about some "more capable" wii, not a real successor.

Maybe a slick silver badass console with a motion plus controller with some HD function in there and some upgrades..(?)
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
donny2112 said:
but that doesn't mean that in general, it's financial suicide to launch two game systems in the same FY. It just requires planning that we haven't seen evidence of Nintendo having made, at this point.
It requires planning that is impossible to be made from any company. Nintendo tried something similar with GBA and GC and we still laugh with the results.
 

onQ123

Member
May 1, 2010
17,989
11,481
1,560
Heavy said:
How is the PSP doing so well? I just don't get it. It's got 9 games in the top 20 and is among the leaders in hardware sales week after week. It's like the tide turned, but why now? Maybe everyone in Japan already has a DS lol

PSP was so ahead of it's time that it just launched with the biggest launch line up ever
 

donny2112

Member
Apr 18, 2005
18,797
1
1,590
Chris1964 said:
It requires planning that is impossible to be made from any company.

I don't see a reason why that would be the case.

Chris1964 said:
Nintendo tried something similar with GBA and GC and we still laugh with the results.

GBA was a rocking success (outselling PS2 launch-aligned before being cutoff by DS's early push-out), and GC was a follow-on to N64 with the PS2 already launched (and thus why would anyone care about the follow-on to N64 with PS2 already launched?). No one's had two successful systems to put out successors for before. This'll be the first time it even could happen.

Edit:
Even then, the prospective time lines wouldn't have them launching in a 12-month period in a single region. Closest would be 13 months if it launched in March 2012 in Japan.
 
Dec 18, 2004
1,617
13
1,465
Effect said:
The 3DS needs software now. That increase in Nintendogs + Cats is somewhat encouraging.

One thing I forgot to mention: Nintendo started up commercials again this week(featuring Nintendogs, this week is pilotwings) so the up-tick, lack of a drop could probably be explained by that.
 

Furret

Banned
Apr 7, 2005
1,942
0
0
Where are these hardware figures coming from anyway?

I thought Media Create didn't release them until Friday?
 

m.i.s.

Banned
Mar 13, 2009
1,773
12
1,015
England, UK
Chris1964 said:
If they don't like 3D they turn it off. That's not the problem.

Just looking at it from a customer's point of view: why would anyone buy a device whose main feature is 3D and then to only turn off said headline feature?

The scare stories in the tabloid press here in the UK certainly have had some effect. There's casual consumers who say they're pleased to have skipped the 3DS in favour of the DSi because of alleged headaches induced by the device. If what Nintex says about 3D actually turning people off holds true, it will severely limit Nintendo's market (short of a relaunch and removing 3D entirely) among the more casual consumers who made the original DS such a success.
 
Apr 17, 2005
6,476
0
1,490
Tracker discrepancies chapter #151241, The Hair-sex Amagami Incident

Code:
            Media Create            Famitsu             Dengeki
1st Week      69.221                 89.672             90.621
2nd Week      23.849 (93.070)           ?                  ?
 

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dec 17, 2008
11,738
0
0
Furret said:
Where are these hardware figures coming from anyway?
VGChartzzzz the most reliable ''tracker'' ever existed
4Gamer
M.I.S. said:
Just looking at it from a customer's point of view: why would anyone buy a device whose main feature is 3D and then to only turn off said headline feature?
For the first reason someone buys a gaming console, software.
 
Road said:
Yes, if we assume DQX is coming out next year, then, comparatively, the PS1 was doing better one year before DQVII (1999); the average weekly sales for it was 35.7k that year, with the lowest week being 13.3k.

The PS2 quickly "killed" the PS1, though. Weekly sales of the PS1 in 2000:



- First, huge spike is Famitsu going crazy (???)
- Second increase is FFIX
- Subsequent peak is DQVII
I double checked with that first crazy spike. I wondered if I'd added in an extra digit. I haven't, but I wonder if the source I got it from did. The number for the week is 52445. Maybe that 4 wasn't supposed to be doubled?

Another thing, you know you don't always have to rehost images from Garaph? Forums don't like all the ?, &, and other stuff in URLs, but this converter lets you turn them into a forum-friendly form. This is what it produces for the image you used above: http://garaph.info/linecompare.php//sum/0/html/0/sys-0/PS1/date-0/2000-01-03/tra-0/fam/ Put it in img tags and
 

onQ123

Member
May 1, 2010
17,989
11,481
1,560

BadWolf

Member
Apr 15, 2010
26,124
8
0
What are the chances of the psp EDF making it to NA or Europe (i.e. english versions)?

How's the language barrier for the game btw? Is it playable/fun without knowing Japanese? Heard about it but haven't actually played the series yet.