• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2012 (Apr 02 - Apr 08)

Mandoric

Banned
They will first have to seriously shrink the circuitry on the 3DS, or make it bigger, cause as it stands there's no place to fit a second analog pad right now.
Circuitry's fine. Battery needs to shrink and/or they need battery tech that doesn't mind a big hole in the middle of a cell.

Whether CPP does get into the revision or not depends on how much Nintendo and third parties want it. CPP is obviously the testing grounds for that, its all behind the scenes and I doubt we'll know any better until the revision details start to come out.

Erethian

Whether CPP does get into the revision or not depends on how much Nintendo and third parties want it. CPP is obviously the testing grounds for that, its all behind the scenes and I doubt we'll know any better until the revision details start to come out.

When Nintendo releases a game that can't be played without the CPP, then I'll believe they're working on a two analog, four shoulder button revision.

Holy crap, talk about legs.

20./27. [3DS] Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog / Shiba / Toy Poodle & New Friends <ETC> (Nintendo) {2011.02.26} (¥4.800) - 4.299 / 533.026

These are legs, I had faith. Its the only launch game still charting. People thought Layton would outsell it, but I knew Nintendogs would only sell more as the system got cheaper and the library expands.

When Nintendo releases a game that can't be played without the CPP, then I'll believe they're working on a two analog, four shoulder button revision.
I can see the two analog happening, but four shoulder buttons is unnecessary.

Dalthien

20./27. [3DS] Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog / Shiba / Toy Poodle & New Friends <ETC> (Nintendo) {2011.02.26} (¥4.800) - 4.299 / 533.026

These are legs, I had faith. Its the only launch game still charting. People thought Layton would outsell it, but I knew Nintendogs would only sell more as the system got cheaper and the library expands.
Back in the Top 20 more than a year after release is pretty impressive. I wonder if anything else ever made it to the Top 20 more than a year after release with a smaller LTD?

I really wouldn't be surprised to see it crack a million eventually. It'll take another couple years, but I could see it selling a few thousand every week for a long time to come still.

Back in the Top 20 more than a year after release is pretty impressive. I wonder if anything else ever made it to the Top 20 more than a year after release with a smaller LTD?

I really wouldn't be surprised to see it crack a million eventually. It'll take another couple years, but I could see it selling a few thousand every week for a long time to come still.
Nothing comes to mind. Games that have lasted a whole year tend to have sold more than 500k, usually casual games. But Nintendogs is in a unique situation where the hardware wasn't selling great until the price drop and the market in general has diminished compared to previous years where the DS was selling great. If this was 2006/2007 Nintendogs wouldn't even be in the top 50 since the raw numbers are so low, but its a launch title and expecting it to do better than it already is, is pretty foolish. Its also benefited by being the only real casual title from the DS era that isn't also a core title (Mario, zelda, etc etc). I have no doubt that if Nintendogs wasn't a launch title and it was to be released around now, where the 3DS hardware is doing well, the LTD would be better eventually.

Similar performing titles would be Family Fishing or Go Vacation, where if the hardware was selling better, the games would have sold even more.

I think a more optimal situation for Nintendo would be to release SM3DL as a launch title and Nintendogs during the holiday. It would have shown whether the price or the software was the bigger factor to the 3DS taking off, or whether the system sellers was enough to sell the 3DS at $250, without the need of the drastic price drop. But realistically SM3DL wouldn't have been ready for launch and launching early rather than later was the better move for Nintendo. People are more likely to pick up Nintendogs too, since the userbase is bigger and during the holiday more casual gamers are likely to pick it up as a gift.

SM3DL launch, MK7/OOT around June, MH for holiday. Everything would benefit if this was the case, especially since alot of third party games wouldn't have been pushed back, and we would have seen a Vita performing even worse than it is right now.

Nintendo needs a Mario for Wii-U's launch, its probably why they've shown NSMB Mii already, its the best thing besides a new hit IP that is guaranteed to move systems.

Truth101

Banned

I can see the two analog happening, but four shoulder buttons is unnecessary.

That is exactly how I felt too.

The ecosystem just wasn't right for Nintendogs + cats at launch. Now it is.

donny2112

I wonder if anything else ever made it to the Top 20 more than a year after release with a smaller LTD?

Not since at least 1996 according to Famitsu. Next is Taiko 2 DS which was #26 in a Golden Week week in 2009 at 566K just over 12 months since release. Nintendogs + cats is the smallest one on record.

BKK

I guess this is the best thread for this, he's now Ex-Greater China chief executive though.

Microsoft Gives Beijing Mixed Reviews

BEIJING—The Chinese government has helped Microsoft Corp.'s MSFT -0.53% business in China by improving intellectual-property protection, the company's top China executive said, but continues to hurt it with regulations preventing the official launch of the Xbox 360 game console.

Simon Leung, chief executive of the Greater China Region for Microsoft, said Wednesday that a group of government agencies in 2004 issued a regulation to limit the influence of videogames and arcades on children, and it has had the effect of preventing Microsoft from officially selling its popular console in China. It is an issue the company raised with Chinese officials as recently as Tuesday, he said.

Electronics resellers have found ways to sell the Xbox, some by buying them elsewhere. Mr. Leung said unofficial estimates put the number of Xbox consoles of all kinds in China at as many as three million, even without Microsoft's help—showing demand for the device, which plays videogames and offers other applications such as Internet video. "It's frustrating because it's a great product," he said. "We want to bring it in."

That possibly includes Hong Kong and Taiwan, but still surprising to see twice as many Xbox 360s in "Greater China" than Japan. I doubt software sales are very high though.

Dalthien

Not since at least 1996 according to Famitsu. Next is Taiko 2 DS which was #26 in a Golden Week week in 2009 at 566K just over 12 months since release. Nintendogs + cats is the smallest one on record.

Hey - thanks for doing the research!

That possibly includes Hong Kong and Taiwan, but still surprising to see twice as many Xbox 360s in "Greater China" than Japan. I doubt software sales are very high though.

I'd take these numbers with a HUGE grain of salt though. Corporations are notorious for making up bullshit numbers to suit their agenda whenever they are trying to nudge governments to pass legislation that is favourable to their agenda.

BKK

Hey - thanks for doing the research!

I'd take these numbers with a HUGE grain of salt though. Corporations are notorious for making up bullshit numbers to suit their agenda whenever they are trying to nudge governments to pass legislation that is favourable to their agenda.

Yeah, there's certainly no way to verify them. Still interesting though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It should continue with the release of more games that are favorable to that audience.

I really agree. I think that other similar titles could help it in growing again.
I think that Brain training will have a similar destiny: low start but long legs, maybe with bigger numbers.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I really agree. I think that other similar titles could help it in growing again.
I think that Brain training will have a similar destiny: low start but long legs, maybe with bigger numbers.

Nintendo will have to try something new and original to regain a part of that audience again.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Preorders for Black/White 2 started 1 month earlier than Black/White and without warning.

Maybe we'll have a new record for preorders.

donny2112

Preorders for Black/White 2 started 1 month earlier than Black/White and without warning.

Black/White is at almost 5.5m and still charting around the Top 30 in MC. This is almost a Capcom type move (MHP2 -> MHP2G) to release the next game in the series when the first is still hanging around. I guess the DS already being past its end point is pushing it up more than they'd do otherwise. Still, a very interesting situation: first real "sequel" in the series, released on a "dead" platform (will test impact of BC), and closest launch to previous mainline (not including remakes) all for a multi-million selling series. Lots of variables here. Will maybe see just how much "power" Pokemon really has.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The huge inactive userbase DS has right now is beneficial only to mega sellers. I don't see a scenario B/W 2 underperforms. It won't hit 5 million but 4+ million should be a lock.

Maybe GameFreak will give the sales target. With Black/White they expected Diamond/Pearl sales and they achieved it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes, Pokèmon will be a big test for how much BC can impact on a brand new console and if it can affect positively sales of such a big game.

Mpl90

Little Battler eXperience for 3DS will be released the 5th of July for ¥4,400.

http://andriasang.com/con0o0/danbol_senki_3ds_date/

So, 3DS July

Little Battler eXperience Baku Boost
Etrian Odissey IV
Rune Factory IV
Taiko no Tatsujin

So far, pretty good month, and it still lacks the first party offering...aside Calcio bit, which should be for July, IIRC. I think there could be another Nintendo game in July, or maybe they'll wait for August and Obon to unleash something ( Animal Crossing?)

Grampasso

So, 3DS July

Etrian Odissey IV
Rune Factory IV
Taiko no Tatsujin

So far, pretty good month, and it still lacks the first party offering...aside Calcio bit, which should be for July, IIRC. I think there could be another Nintendo game in July, or maybe they'll wait for August and Obon to unleash something ( Animal Crossing?)
What's Calcio Bit? An italian eShop game about soccer? o_O

So, 3DS July

Etrian Odissey IV
Rune Factory IV
Taiko no Tatsujin

Well, all are potential +100k sellers, so it's a pretty good line-up considering that Nintendo games will keep selling (Mario Tennis Open will be a May release).

I remember someone comparing 3DS and saying its July is just as worse as the Vita's with only one game. Like there was no way more games could be announced from now til then.

Mpl90

Fire Emblem bundle was sold out from first day at Online Store and now prices from resellers are rising to sky.

Ruh roh.
I'm ready to see a Fire Emblem doing similarly to a Super Robot Taisen. My sword is ready.

Little Battler eXperience for 3DS will be released the 5th of July for ¥4,400.

http://andriasang.com/con0o0/danbol_senki_3ds_date/
dx1qX.jpg

NiN logo.

Anoop mentioned local multi-player, so I'm guessing Level-5 is planning to offer DLC? Oh oh oh.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Vita rising to heaven in June?

They'll most certainly be a hardware bump, Persona despite being a port of an old game had an anime released recently that did quite well , the other games in that list probably won't have much a effect. I'm expecting it to cap at just below 20k in June before starting to drop down again.

saichi

If Nintendo makes enough units for pre-order... Didn't retailer have to stop taking pre-orders for B&W a week or so before it was released?

Fire Emblem bundle was sold out from first day at Online Store and now prices from resellers are rising to sky.

how much does it cost now?

Mario007

This, of course, ignores Japan's biggest games of the year.

Pokemon Black and White 2 will probably bring a boost to 3DS, as well as selling 3+ million worth of software.

It's a DS game, first of all. And the thing about sequels to established franchises is that the sequels are usually bought by people who already own the original so no spike in hardware. (unless Nintendo does a 3DS pokemon bundle)

Top Bottom