• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2012 (Apr 02 - Apr 08)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It's a DS game, first of all. And the thing about sequels to established franchises is that the sequels are usually bought by people who already own the original so no spike in hardware. (unless Nintendo does a 3DS pokemon bundle)

There will be a spike - its likely to be the biggest release this year and some people will use it as an excuse to get also a 3DS if they dont own one. There are still many out there who own a DS plattform without DSi capabilities.

Mario007

There will be a spike - its likely to be the biggest release this year and some people will use it as an excuse to get also a 3DS if they dont own one. There are still many out there who own a DS plattform without DSi capabilities.

Forgot about the DSi capabilities, but I still don't think the spike in 3DS' sales is gonna be huge. That's like saying Vita will get a spike if MoH Portable 4 was announced for PSP and put on PSN on the launch day.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Forgot about the DSi capabilities, but I still don't think the spike in 3DS' sales is gonna be huge. That's like saying Vita will get a spike if MoH Portable 4 was announced for PSP and put on PSN on the launch day.

Vita is selling 8K right now, sure it would get a spike :lol
I said 3DS sales will be better this week, i dont know how big the jump will or can be.

Mario007

Vita is selling 8K right now, sure it would get a spike :lol
I said 3DS sales will be better this week, i dont know how big the jump will or can be.

Haha see I wouldn't think Vita would get a spike based on that. People would just have a PSP already at this stage and certainly wouldn't feel inclined to buy the new hardware if the old hardware can play the game that they want.

But, I guess, we'll see.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
They'll most certainly be a hardware bump, Persona despite being a port of an old game had an anime released recently that did quite well , the other games in that list probably won't have much a effect. I'm expecting it to cap at just below 20k in June before starting to drop down again.

Persona will probably bump it to the 30k mark or higher.

It's a DS game, first of all. And the thing about sequels to established franchises is that the sequels are usually bought by people who already own the original so no spike in hardware. (unless Nintendo does a 3DS pokemon bundle)

Even discounting BW2, 3DS is still going to slaughter Vita in hardware and software for June. June legs for Mario Tennis and DQ Monsters alone will probably outsell P4G, Gundam Seed, Monkey Ball and MGS HD combined.

The lower the baseline, the higher the relative bump. Sequel to Gundabump coming?
Just to toss out an earlier example, GCN's Resident Evil Remake bump.
fam

matmanx1

I wonder how many of those Special Packs Nintendo is producing. I'm glad I locked in my pre-order fairly early. The game looks to have generated some genuine hype. Will it have a 200k+ opening week?

Nekki

i hope FE does well, and that it is localized, i would LOVE to play a new FE, it's been long since i last played one (didn't play DS ones), and this one looks just too incredible to pass up.

D_prOdigy

Seeing as there was a bit of Persona chat on this page, I'll give this a shot:

Has there been any chatter on the status of the announced Persona game for 3DS? I was under the impression that it was a port, but now I realise it really wasn't confirmed what it will be.

Chances of it being quietly canned/not put into production?

Those pre-launch lists of third-party support always have a few "planned" games that never actually materialize, either because of cancellation or because they were never properly in development to begin with (see: Vandal Hearts DS, Sword of Legendia for Wii, Devil May Cry PSP, probably Contra 3DS). I'm sure there'll be a few such titles on the Wii U list this E3, which folks will still be asking about in vain come 2014.

Those pre-launch lists of third-party support always have a few "planned" games that never actually materialize, either because of cancellation or because they were never properly in development to begin with (see: Vandal Hearts DS, Sword of Legendia for Wii, Devil May Cry PSP, probably Contra 3DS). I'm sure there'll be a few such titles on the Wii U list this E3, which folks will still be asking about in vain come 2014.

I'm personally expecting Sadness 2: More Sadness to be announced for WiiU.

It was on the list Nintendo published at E3 2010 with all the games that would come for the 3DS. It probably never existed though.
Does any new persona game exists? :( But I am pretty sure the next mainline will be on PS3; on PS2 the 3 and 4 came pretty late too and PS3 has quite an active installed based now (at least in Japan) and porting to 360 outside of Japan

---
I guess we may see a remake or something on 3DS though

My rule is every game is vaporware until someone from outside of the publisher or developer gets to actually play the game.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
This is kind of silly to be proposing this early, but could we be looking at the early signs of a soon-to-be Nintendo monopoly over the videogame industry in Japan? We all know Nintendo has a global name associated to videogames, and it looks like Nintendo did an all-out campaign to gain just about every major third party franchise to be on the 3DS. That, added to the worldwide success of the 3DS means Japanese games can enter other markets with a chance at success, could mean strictly Nintendo dominance over most all videogames in Japan.

Thoughts?

silly, I know. :p

This is kind of silly to be proposing this early, but could we be looking at the early signs of a soon-to-be Nintendo monopoly over the videogame industry in Japan? We all know Nintendo has a global name associated to videogames, and it looks like Nintendo did an all-out campaign to gain just about every major third party franchise to be on the 3DS. That, added to the worldwide success of the 3DS means Japanese games can enter other markets with a chance at success, could mean strictly Nintendo dominance over most all videogames in Japan.

Thoughts?

Pretty silly. There's no point in ruling out the Vita, as there's plenty of time and opportunities for Sony to make it a somewhat viable platform. Plus the PS3 still has a solid year or two in it, which could lead to the PS4 still maintaining market share.

Yeah I hate slides filled with games we may never even see a screen of.

They can even give you screens and actual gameplay foot like stuff like GT for the PSP or Last Guardian for PS3. It is just totally sketchy when no one is allowed to play it and that shows just how far away the game really is.

Even discounting BW2, 3DS is still going to slaughter Vita in hardware and software for June. June legs for Mario Tennis and DQ Monsters alone will probably outsell P4G, Gundam Seed, Monkey Ball and MGS HD combined.

Yeah, DQM will be out on May 31, therefore June should be pretty good for 3DS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Thoughts?

It would be pretty impossible to defeat phones at this point.

matmanx1

Thoughts?

If Nintendo didn't "take over" back in 2008 when most of the top 20 MC was either Wii or DS then I don't see it happening now either. Not saying it doesn't look like momentum is in the Big N's favor because it certainly is but competition is healthy and a good and hungry, competitive, non complacent Nintendo (and Sony and every other company for that matter) is really the best Nintendo for everyone.

Road

Random fiscal year 2011 information from Famitsu:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201204/13013138.html
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201204/17013240.html

Hardware sales up 6.9%. Software sales down 15.1%. (Units.)

Current total 3DS third party sales share at around 50%, was almost 80% near launch (everybody knows why).

PSP not dead yet, selling over 500k units of software every month. It has 7 titles in the FY top 50.

PS3 has 12 titles -- environment more desirable as development costs go down.

vitahasnogame.jpg

A bunch of stuff about social, online and mobile games that I don't care about because there are no actual sales number but it feels like I should because Famitsu is giving them bigger and bigger coverage each day.

Worldwide "traditional" gaming (software?) business estimated at US$ 26 billion; social, online and mobile games, US$ 37 billion.

PSP and Vita monthly software sales (physical only):

jmJtIMEAlO4DR.jpg

hongcha

Judging from that chart, if sales continue their downward trend, you won't even be able to see the red Vita bar in next month's chart.

Is it me or is the Vita sales looking horrible? Sony has to do something urgently

Well, they're going to announce Soul Sacrifice, which could spur sales...
But that might not be out until near the end of the year, or even later.
Which means they are pretty much fucked in the mean time.

Top Bottom