• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2017 (Apr 17 - Apr 23)

Fiendcode

Not exact 1-to-1 comparison but it should give us some idea the difference, on a demanding game (DQH 2) on both platform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljdJJLU-AfQ
Rushed launch game versus late life release. What you should actually be comparing is launch window titles to each other.

A portable Switch in the low clocked GPU mode is still something like 10x more powerful than the Vita. That's not even including gains on GPU efficiency.
Closer to 14x in pure Gflops I believe (14 vs 192).

Oregano

Rushed launch game versus late life release. What you should actually be comparing is launch window titles to each other.

Closer to 14x in pure Gflops I believe (14 vs 192).

That's not an entirely fair comparison. That's the lower setting for Vita and the highest setting on (portable) Switch. It's more 14 vs ~150 or 28 vs 192.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
A GAFer in the stock thread said that Shibuya in Tokyo got a gigantic shipment of Switches this weekend.

As expected Nintendo seem to have sent out massive shipments pretty much everywhere for the MK8D launch. I imagine some were held back specifically for it.

Fiendcode

That's not an entirely fair comparison. That's the lower setting for Vita and the highest setting on (portable) Switch. It's more 14 vs ~150 or 28 vs 192.
Highest Vita setting was never used in retail games afaik. It also automatically disables wifi and other system functionality so it's still not a 1:1 comparison, Switch doesn't really have an equivalent mode to that.

Vita also has a lower clock mode that wasn't ever used too. 14 Gflops isn't the lowest.

hiska-kun

Switch numbers will be over 100k for sure this week, maybe closer to 150k than 100k, depending on the shipment.
But I wonder if Nintendo will leave some stock for the Golden Week (May 1 - May 7), or if they are shipping everything now.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nintendo has a clear pattern with Switch shipments so far. They will likely keep another big shipment for next week and then return to the usual 40-50k. They did the same with Wii.

After all it's a slow period for sales after Golden Week.

Switch numbers will be over 100k for sure this week, maybe closer to 150k than 100k, depending on the shipment.
But I wonder if Nintendo will leave some stock for the Golden Week (May 1 - May 7), or if they are shipping everything now.

Could sell more than the PS4 did during the week of its biggest game release. I'm never doubting Nintendo in japan ever again.

Nintendo needs to get those factories working double time to prepare for Splatoon. I simply don't see how they can meet demand in Japan.
If you compare hardware and software sales, you could say that people are already buying the Switch in anticipation for Splatoon 2.

Passose

Banned
Nintendo has a clear pattern with Switch shipments so far. They will likely keep another big shipment for next week and then return to the usual 40-50k. They did the same with Wii.

After all it's a slow period for sales after Golden Week.
but Minecraft launch will be right after golden week, 40-50k won't be enough for a minecraft launch in my opinion

Very surprised and happy for Bomberman numbers. Not only to bring back to life a long beloved franchise but to hopefully give a message to Konami about how fucked up was their decision to abandon home console gaming development.

KtSlime

place your bets
100k 150k 199.99k Switch consoles.

100k, I just don't see the evidence that there was that big of shipment in Japan this week. I am sure it could have sold 150 or maybe 200, but I think Nintendo is focusing on supplying America first.

We will find out the results for this week when May 10th?

Very surprised and happy for Bomberman numbers. Not only to bring back to life a long beloved franchise but to hopefully give a message to Konami about how fucked up was their decision to abandon home console gaming development.

Hey, their gyms are top notch. That an patchislots is where the real money is.

100k, I just don't see the evidence that there was that big of shipment in Japan this week. I am sure it could have sold 150 or maybe 200, but I think Nintendo is focusing on supplying America first.

We will find out the results for this week when May 10th?

May 3rd. :) The covered period is April 24th to April 30th I think. So three days of MK8D sales (28th-30th).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
According to Famitsu the only systems that topped 100k at either or both weeks during Golden Week holidays were

GBA in 2001 (141.090 + 141.091)
NDS in 2006 (255.738 + 201.884)
NDS in 2007 (219.656 + 219.291)

PS2 maybe would make it in 2000 too if there weren't supply problems.
Since famitsu combined sales back then PS likely made it at a single week in 1998 (99.141 + 99.142) or GBA in 2003 (89.736 + 89.736)
PSP came vey close in 2008 (98.916 + 87.768)

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing 100,000 consoles shipped, 90,000-98,000 consoles sold.

Fiendcode

Aren't there virtually zero games that use the Vita's higher setting?
I'm not even sure if 222 MHz mode was actually available to developers or if it was just uncovered with homebrew as a preset. Same with 41 MHz mode. Vita standard was 111 MHz (~14 Gflops) and as far as I'm aware that's what all games use.

For comparison though:

Low/Med/High

Vita: 5/14/28 Gflops
Switch: 156/192/393 Gflops

While true, i dont think theres any launch game on Vita that is similar to BotW.
No but there are launch games in similar genres or from similar developers. Wipeout 2048 versus Fast RMX or Dynasty Warriors Next versus DQ Heroes I&II for example.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The only preorders that have opened for new 2DS LL in Japan appear to be those of DQXI bundle.

2DS had a low price but also a terrible design and started with soft sales. In the end, unlike GB Micro's opposite course, that started strong and deflated very soon, it showed good legs and will have a respectable LTD for what it is.

New 2DS LL is the next real redesign with low price and a bunch of games the same week but with a LE bundle coming 2 weeks after its launch. In theory it could have a much better opening from 2DS but time will show the real impact it will have at 3DS total sales since it comes out at the twilight of its life.

Zedark

I'm gonna go wild and say Switch will have overtaken 3DS after Golden Week: I expect a shipment of around 150k in the first week tracked for MK8D, and 70k-80k in the second week, adding up to 220k-230k, which puts it over 3DS.

Top Bottom